Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2056382 times)

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #700 on: November 19, 2014, 05:53:52 am »
Okay, one more. Using the measurements settings I can have it measure peak and rms values plus a number of other things. They line up along the bottom edge of the screen. How do you turn them off. Say I have RMS selected but want to turn it of????? Pushing the button again just tells you it's already enabled???
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #701 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:32 am »
Okay, one more. Using the measurements settings I can have it measure peak and rms values plus a number of other things. They line up along the bottom edge of the screen. How do you turn them off. Say I have RMS selected but want to turn it of????? Pushing the button again just tells you it's already enabled???
Not conversent with Rigols, but there should be a "Clear" or similar in the Measure menus
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #702 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:43 am »

You.. basically can't. You can push them off the screen, or remove all of them (sort of), but not individually remove them. At least not via any obvious method I've found.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:18:25 am by Monkeh »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #703 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:28 am »
Now I have to start looking for a printed manual, it comes with a quick start guide which is basically useless since what it covers is all intuitive if you've ever used a scope.
There's a User Manual.pdf available (PM sent).

Offline Wyatt Storch

« Reply #704 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:28 pm »
I just got mine yesterday.   :)

There's a user manual on the CD that comes with the unit.

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #705 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »
Makes sense, I just didn't dig out the CD. Figured it was the PC software, DUH...

:palm:
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Edgar Amalyan

« Reply #706 on: November 21, 2014, 06:33:42 am »
I'm guessing the 1054Z is the recommended device to get for a first scope? I could spend more $ if it would be better in the long run for a computer engineering student, as long as it's not some ridiculous Agilent that costs more than 2k. 

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #707 on: November 21, 2014, 06:46:44 am »

You.. basically can't. You can push them off the screen, or remove all of them (sort of), but not individually remove them. At least not via any obvious method I've found.

It's not obvious and I think it's a bug but here's how:

1) Measure --> Clear --> All Items

This will take them all off the display but if you turn any one back on the old ones will appear grayed out.  So, don't do that, instead:

2) Turn off the 'scope and turn it back on again.

Now add a measurement item and it will appear all by itself left-justified on the bottom line.

-Katie
-katie

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #708 on: November 21, 2014, 06:50:36 am »

This will take them all off the display but if you turn any one back on the old ones will appear grayed out.

That would be the 'sort of' bit, yes.

So, don't do that, instead:

Now add a measurement item and it will appear all by itself left-justified on the bottom line.

-Katie

Because power cycling is obviously the right way to do things..

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #709 on: November 21, 2014, 07:02:37 am »
NO
If you Clear them they should be gone. Full Stop.
If power cycling is needed it is indeed a BUG
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #710 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:50 am »
NO

Sorry, is your sarcasmometer broken?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #711 on: November 21, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
NO

Sorry, is your sarcasmometer broken?
Fixed now thanks....but not the bug.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #712 on: November 21, 2014, 12:55:04 pm »
I'm guessing the 1054Z is the recommended device to get for a first scope? I could spend more $ if it would be better in the long run for a computer engineering student, as long as it's not some ridiculous Agilent that costs more than 2k.
The 1054Z currently offers the best 'bang per buck' by a wide margin - although you may want to wait for Dave's review, which is in the pipeline.

If you don't have specific requirements such as greater bandwidth, spending a lot of money now on capabilities you may never need would be a waste of money - particularly since DSO capabilities are still advancing rapidly.

Offline hak8orr

• Contributor
« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2014, 11:08:41 am »

Just got the scope last week and so far have been totally thrilled with it. I still consider myself a newbie with electronics (Dave's AC trigger coupling and how to measure voltage rails with AC input coupling were mind blowing), but this scope has been a monsterous step up from my tek 2213A scope. Just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out in my previous thread, answering my questions here, and the PM's with the eevblog discount code!

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #714 on: November 22, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »
Dave's AC trigger coupling and how to measure voltage rails with AC input coupling were mind blowing

You clearly did not use the analog enough ;p

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #715 on: November 22, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »
Dave's AC trigger coupling and how to measure voltage rails with AC input coupling were mind blowing.

You clearly did not use the analog enough ;p

The 2213A does not even support AC coupled internal triggering because it has peak-to-peak triggering which is superior. :)

I miss peak-to-peak triggering.  It was replaced with automatic level triggering which is slower.  Based on their documentation, I do not think the Rigols support either.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #716 on: November 23, 2014, 01:05:44 am »

This will take them all off the display but if you turn any one back on the old ones will appear grayed out.  So, don't do that, instead:

-Katie

There is no bug. Whether you like it or not, it's just a feature Rigol has implemented to try to offer easier access to often-used measurements without having to, for example, page through 4 menus while trying to locate a specific Vertical or Horizontal measurement for a second time in a session.

You delete individual measurements by using Measure -> Clear -> ItemX -> Delete

It will then grey-out that measurement, and you can use  Measure -> Clear -> ItemX -> Recover  to restore it if you want. If you add new measurements, the greyed-out ones will slowly be pushed off screen.

This system means that you can get back quickly to a measurement you previously used during the current session, if you've cleared the screen of the bottom measurements for awhile.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:10:54 am by marmad »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #717 on: November 23, 2014, 01:17:04 am »

-Katie

There is no bug. Whether you like it or not, it's just a feature Rigol has implemented to try to offer easier access to often-used measurements without having to, for example, page through 4 menus while trying to locate a specific Vertical or Horizontal measurement for a second time in a session.

You delete individual measurements by using Measure -> Clear -> ItemX -> Delete

It will then grey-out that measurement, and you can use  Measure -> Clear -> ItemX -> Recover  to restore it if you want. If you add new measurements, the greyed-out ones will slowly be pushed off screen.

This system means that you can get back quickly to a measurement you previously used during the current session, if you've cleared the screen of the bottom measurements for awhile.

Sorry, but that's stupid.

If I wanted to hide the measurements, I'd pick an option called 'hide measurements'. Not 'clear' which for some reason actually means 'leave all the text there just change the colour and don't display a value'.

It's an utterly crap bit of 'UI', not a feature.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #718 on: November 23, 2014, 02:02:05 am »

If I wanted to hide the measurements, I'd pick an option called 'hide measurements'. Not 'clear' which for some reason actually means 'leave all the text there just change the colour and don't display a value'.

Again, regardless of your well-articulated opinion, it's not a bug.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #719 on: November 23, 2014, 02:02:53 am »

Again, regardless of your well-articulated opinion, it's not a bug.

In your opinion.

If not a bug in the scope, a bug in the UI designer's head. It's a daft non-function which may as well be replaced with a single button marked 'hide'.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:05:30 am by Monkeh »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #720 on: November 23, 2014, 02:09:36 am »
In your opinion.

If not a bug in the scope, a bug in the UI designer's head.

In your opinion.

BTW, the DS2000 has the same feature, except on the DS2000, the measurement actually fully disappears (not greyed-out), although you can still recover it by using  Measure -> Clear -> ItemX -> Recover. The problem is, after awhile, you can't remember what the measurement was anymore, so the recover feature becomes less useful. I prefer the implementation on the DS1000Z.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:16:10 am by marmad »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #721 on: November 23, 2014, 02:12:44 am »
I don't find the UI for that confusing at all in my DS2000 series.

So not a bug (in my opinion)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #722 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:08 am »
With this implementation you may as well just leave it turned on..

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #723 on: November 23, 2014, 06:34:04 am »
Why not just suggest they do it the most logical way to me. One push turns on a measurement. Next push turns it off. Push once read the RMS Value, push again to turn it off. How hard can that be to do? Spoken from the viewpoint of a non-software writer.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #724 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:13 am »
Why not just suggest they do it the most logical way to me. One push turns on a measurement. Next push turns it off. Push once read the RMS Value, push again to turn it off. How hard can that be to do? Spoken from the viewpoint of a non-software writer.

Again, some of the measurements are 4 menus away. That means you have to wade through to the precise measurement again to turn it off / on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf