Author Topic: Twenty passengers on missing flight 370 worked for Freescale Semiconductors  (Read 177985 times)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
The wings usually break off. I think this is a case of fishing for investment or just plain spam but the news corp don't care either way it makes a good story. Likely it is complete bullshit - no way the plane would remain that intact unless it basically landed. It will be spread over a couple hundred meters minimum but more likely over kms.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
GeoResonance? sounds complete pish to me and their website does nothing to make me think otherwise

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
TWA 800 broke apart in the air due to an explosion.  We're not sure what happened to MH370, but it seems possible that it flew until the fuel ran out, and then glided down to the sea surface, perhaps keeping the wings more-or-less intact.

I'm not sure what to make of the georesonance story.  I will say that, if they're right, then they are going to have a lot of business in the future.  If they're wrong, they may be committing corporate suicide to make such a public claim.  Time will tell soon enough, I hope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
We're not sure what happened to MH370, but it seems possible that it flew until the fuel ran out, and then glided down to the sea surface, perhaps keeping the wings more-or-less intact.

That's got to be by far the most plausible explanation. Otherwise some floating debris would have been found. I recon the plane is all but intact on the bottom, and the autopilot did a damn fine job of gliding it in when the fuel ran out.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
This story is ringing my Snake Oil alarm - detecting elements from Sat imagary....?
Breakthrough or Woo Woo?
Even the name "http://georesonance.com/ screams pseudoscience

I haven't looked into the details, but I was of the understanding that georesonance imaging was a real technology.
A friend of mine used to work for a company that mapped most of New Zealand over several years from helicopters and planes. IIRC it was part of mineral exploration survey. And I believe the technology worked below ocean floor as well.
Maybe  possible from lower altitude plane, but a satellite seems to be stretching it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
If they're wrong, they may be committing corporate suicide to make such a public claim.

There is no such thing as bad publicity  ;D

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
The method of detection "Georesonance Inc." is using is fairly legitimate, as long as it's done properly - it's been used for oil prospecting. However, what they're doing with MH370 is definitely a marketing ploy. It's easy for them to fudge the data and claim they found the plane.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Well how would you guys describe the "doppler" method the other company used to locate the last location of the plane?
Exact science? hmmmmmmm
Let me remind you that they still have not found anything not even a small piece of debris  ;)
Still it would not explain why they heard the blackbox signals in the area where they are now searching.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:32:34 am by TMM »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Well how would you guys describe the "doppler" method the other company used to locate the last location of the plane?
Exact science? hmmmmmmm
Not "exact", but comparing ping delay and doppler signatures to signals from other planes on known flight paths seems somewhat more plausible than some unspecified "proprietory" technology that appears to be able to identify elements through thousands of metres of seawater using just photography.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
I call marketing, the meeting would go something like this. Inmarsat has gotten great press, the investigation is in a slow spot, the media will show anything at this point. All we have to do is run the numbers and publish what we find.     

If these guys where serious then show the numbers to a group that can evaluate the seriously. Inmarsat did that before going public to ensure they had viable data. Better yet hire a plane and have a look before publishing.

Inmarsat is not the same in any way.

- They communicated with a real system on the plane. 
- The path pointed to a location that had active pingers in the water. Has everyone forgot? That is the real evidence of the location.
- Being off by a few hundred miles is nothing when you consider the alternative. These things take time that's the way it is.

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
more plausible than some unspecified "proprietory" technology that appears to be able to identify elements through thousands of metres of seawater using just photography.
Not much of a miracle - we can determine the composition of atmospheres of planets light years away just by looking at the light from them.
Specific spectral lines betray specific elements.

There is a thing called an imaging spectrometer - a camera that takes an image in hundreds of "colours" corresponding to specific wavelengths.
And such camera can do exactly what is claimed there - show what elements are present in the area being imaged, i.e. from a satellite.
It's easy to underestimate the amount of evidence a given event can leave.

So, their claims are plausible, even if their name stinks of marketing and deception.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
more plausible than some unspecified "proprietory" technology that appears to be able to identify elements through thousands of metres of seawater using just photography.
Not much of a miracle - we can determine the composition of atmospheres of planets light years away just by looking at the light from them.
Yes, compositions of transparent gases, light _from_ them. 
Somewhat different from IDing solid, cold metal through tons of water.

If this were possible even at close range, directly, though air, why do they need x-ray fluorescence spectrometers to identify metal compositions?

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
The large scale search operation is terminated.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
The large scale search operation is terminated.
Meaning? Are they cancelling searching the location near the last heard blackbox pings?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Costs probably are getting to the point where the insurers are squealing. They most likely will then be dropped on the airline, which will bankrupt it. This most likely will be then a low key search and if it is not located it will be another unsolved flight.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Not much has been said about the pings the Chinese heard 300 miles a way apart the British sub was searching the than region. 
Dave, how far can pings travel, given that the water is very deep and would have different terminal layers to bounce them off?
Is it possible they can travel 100s of miles, much like a low power radio TX with the right skip conditions?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Did I hear correctly on CNN that the cargo flight manifest showed 8K lbs of lithium batteries? If so that is a lot more then was being reported earlier.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
4 tons of HE and noone said this before? Lithium batteries have about the same energy density as low quality dynamite, just they do not explode as easily with shock, but rather burn rapidly.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
I just heard on the radio that they keep searching but worst case it can take upto 8 months to scan the designated area.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Did I hear correctly on CNN that the cargo flight manifest showed 8K lbs of lithium batteries? If so that is a lot more then was being reported earlier.
2450kgs of Lithium batteries in 200 packages, according to the cargo manifest (2.3m^3).
There should have been a NOTOC also for the dangerous goods, signed by the captain, indicating the position of the consignment on the aeroplane. That hasn't been released, as far as I know.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:02:27 am by Wytnucls »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
That's a bunch of batts, still legal at the time I think.

Here is the preliminary report (attached).

The surface search is pretty much over.
New sub on hand for deeper dives, search area increased by about 10 times around the ping area.

There are a few good maps here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10801185/Malaysia-Airlines-releases-report-into-MH370.html couldn't find the original source.

I have heard a few comments about the search stopping. It's basically just getting started, just switching over to the next phase.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Looking at the volume and weight, it seems that the batteries were packed very tightly. 1000kgs per cubic meter!
58 boxes 60x26x22 cm
9 boxes 42x36x19 cm
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:11:46 am by Wytnucls »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
That's pretty scary.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
There was a report from some New Zealander on an oil rig that he saw what seemed to be the plane on fire...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf