Author Topic: Unlocking Siglent SDS1104X-E, step by step  (Read 195352 times)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Unlocking Siglent SDS1104X-E, step by step
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2019, 11:02:30 pm »
I question the option vodes as anything other than a money grab. But the scope is the only thing that needs the code entered. While I have yet to get it to work. The AWG option should also respond via SCPI over usb. But i have yet to successfully test that.

You get option codes on printed off sheets of paper if you buy them with the scope. Possibly similar via email if after the purchase.

The AWG interface is limited via the scope UI. It leaves out any way to configure the SweepWave, BurstWave, ModulateWave, and ArbWave. Not to mention there is everything already in place for the scope to capture a waveform and to play it back under any of these modes. But I have not yet found an easy way to do that.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2019, 11:50:35 pm »
I question the option codes as anything other than a money grab.
Er well yes but only for 3 options whereas other 'money grabbing' brands like Tek, KS, R&S, LeCroy, Rigol etc will want to charge you for more. Decode is commonly an option for most brands while Siglent provide it for free.
Your point is ?  :-//
But the scope is the only thing that needs the code entered. While I have yet to get it to work. The AWG option should also respond via SCPI over usb. But i have yet to successfully test that.
SAG1021 arbitrary use is intended to be via the EasyWave SW where you will use SCPI commands.
This is all mentioned in the X-E datasheet.
You get option codes on printed off sheets of paper if you buy them with the scope. Possibly similar via email if after the purchase.
Maybe, maybe not.
If I have them at sale time I'll install them and pack a sheet/s of paper with them printed on too.
Otherwise it's a pdf in an later email with an option authorization code with which you go onto Siglents option generation website and enter it along with model type and SN#. The 'real' option code is then generated automatically and you have the option to get it on a pdf with installation instructions. This is what we normally add to the box prior to shipment.
The AWG interface is limited via the scope UI. It leaves out any way to configure the SweepWave, BurstWave, ModulateWave, and ArbWave. Not to mention there is everything already in place for the scope to capture a waveform and to play it back under any of these modes. But I have not yet found an easy way to do that.
Good point, maybe 'play' a captured waveform can be added into future FW.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:10 am »
If I hack the scope to 200mhz bw will the self calibration procedure still work properly?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2019, 02:11:54 pm »
If I hack the scope to 200mhz bw will the self calibration procedure still work properly?

Of course.

After then it is SDS1204X-E (except front panel model sticker)  and works as SDS1204X-E including everything - (if it is properly modified).
Only difference is front panel sticker and probes included in carton. But even these probes are not bad for 200MHz. (you can find probe test in this forum)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:13:48 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2019, 06:46:18 pm »

Of course.

After then it is SDS1204X-E (except front panel model sticker)  and works as SDS1204X-E including everything - (if it is properly modified).
Only difference is front panel sticker and probes included in carton. But even these probes are not bad for 200MHz. (you can find probe test in this forum)

Someone before asserted that factory calibration after the hack was not valid anymore.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2019, 07:33:55 pm »
Someone before asserted that factory calibration after the hack was not valid anymore.

Then, go ask that "someone".

The following users thanked this post: vtwin@cox.net

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2019, 07:51:19 pm »

It was an opinion page 4 of this thread. If you think it's not correct please state it. I'm just trying to build my opinion on this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:21 pm »

It was an opinion page 4 of this thread. If you think it's not correct please state it. I'm just trying to build my opinion on this topic.
Any hacked equipment ceases to have official traceable calibration, this is the price of hacking equipment.
If you must have traceable equipment then you are constrained to buying the necessary model and options.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:09 pm »

Any hacked equipment ceases to have official traceable calibration, this is the price of hacking equipment.
If you must have traceable equipment then you are constrained to buying the necessary model and options.

I must not have traceable equipment but I must have accurate equipment. So, if hacking the scope makes me lose  accuracy I'm not gonna hack it. So: am I losing accuracy with the hack?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2019, 09:00:26 pm »

I must not have traceable equipment but I must have accurate equipment. So, if hacking the scope makes me lose  accuracy I'm not gonna hack it. So: am I losing accuracy with the hack?
'Proven' -3dB BW of hacked SDS1104X-E is ~230 MHz and and amplitude spec is +3% like all DSO's, is that good enough ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: vtwin@cox.net

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2019, 10:46:05 am »
So, in the 1104x-e the 100Mhz bandwidth is obtained by limiting the full 200Mhz bandwidth via a software low pass filter? No hardware?

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2019, 04:33:08 pm »
The 100Mhz bandwidth limit is achieved by FIR filter coefficients (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_impulse_response) - these coefficients are different for the different bandwidths. The FIR filter is implemented in the FPGA, and applied to the signal coming from the ADC.

Short answer - it is software, but not software running on the ARM CPU.

The 20Mhz selectable bandwith limit takes place in the analog front-end, and so is implemented in hardware.

--Ian.

The following users thanked this post: NF6X, nikitasius

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:25 pm »
Very interesting. I really like this scope and, with this hack, you are getting a tremendous bang for your buck (4 channels, 200Mhz, 1Gsa/s, double ADC for 500$). This is double the scope w.r.t. a Rigol 1054z for only 50% more in price. Big A Brand scopes with similar features are at least three/four times as expensive.  Besides, the hack is really a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:17:50 pm by Andreax1985 »

Offline guho

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:19 pm »
Got it to work, many thanks for the instructions. Note that if you go with the Visual Studio solutions, in the TryKeys you have to change the hardcoded 23 port to 9999 if you want to use the telnet daemon started via SCPI (SHELLCMD telnetd -l/bin/sh -p9999). Also comment out the TelnetClient.login section as it is not needed (and even fails) for this telnet access. Changing the port number from 23 to 9999 in the .json is not enough unfortunately.

This scope is one of the best deals around, got it for $125 off MSRP from Amazon Warehouse Deals and now unlocked 200MHz and the 3 other items  :)  :)

Also, Newegg has the TL-WN725N wifi USB dongle for only $7 using code EMCTUVA36 for $3 off. Just bought one for my new scope. This same module is offered by Siglent for a mere $49 at https://store.siglentamerica.com/product/sds1104x-e-100-mhz/ Is this scope compatible with many wifi adapters or just this one?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:13:38 am by guho »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:20 am »
The scope only has the driver file for that exact wifi dongle. however the drivers are inside a directory that you can write files to, (needs to remount the directory),

Your free to try loading other drivers for other dongles, But i cannot say if it will work, as Its unclear to me exactly how the system app is hooking into it at this point.

\bin\siglent\drivers\mt7601u.ko

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2019, 09:32:53 am »
Very interesting. I really like this scope and, with this hack, you are getting a tremendous bang for your buck (4 channels, 200Mhz, 1Gsa/s, double ADC for 500$). This is double the scope w.r.t. a Rigol 1054z for only 50% more in price. Big A Brand scopes with similar features are at least three/four times as expensive.  Besides, the hack is really a piece of cake.

If compare  Rigol 1kZ with Siglent 1104/1204X-E they give really lot of more performance and features than just more bandwidth and samplerate.
What big A brand scope have one scope with waveform history buffer, full memory measurements with full sample resolution, fast segmented memory with up to over 100M memory, true full resolution 500uV/div, up to 32000 bytes single shot I2C decode (simultaneously 2 independent separate I2C bus), or 1000bytes/channel single shot UART decode (simultaneously 2 separate independent UART RxTx bus) etc... and all this online and offline including history buffer.
1Mpoints FFT, 3 channels 501point BodePlot (need external what ever Siglent SDG) even with 500Hz span (1Hz step) for narrow filters, semi fast XY (up to 60kwfm/s) including intensity gradation, XY plot history buffer and YT measurements in XY mode. Even simplest thing, Sinc interpolation,  Rigol 1kZ box can not do right way. In siglent there is always available true samples and interpolation is fully post processed and user have full freedom to select right display mode/interpolation afterwards (example when looking stopped scope including wfm  history buffer.) This is also important in real tool when user need detect if displayed wfm include well known Sinc interpolation "problems" when signal have fast changes related to current sample interval.
So, what we compare to what... perhaps lemons and shoes.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:06 am »

If compare  Rigol 1kZ with Siglent 1104/1204X-E they give really lot of more performance and features than just more bandwidth and samplerate.
What big A brand scope have one scope with waveform history buffer, full memory measurements with full sample resolution, fast segmented memory with up to over 100M memory, true full resolution 500uV/div, up to 32000 bytes single shot I2C decode (simultaneously 2 independent separate I2C bus), or 1000bytes/channel single shot UART decode (simultaneously 2 separate independent UART RxTx bus) etc... and all this online and offline including history buffer.
1Mpoints FFT, 3 channels 501point BodePlot (need external what ever Siglent SDG) even with 500Hz span (1Hz step) for narrow filters, semi fast XY (up to 60kwfm/s) including intensity gradation, XY plot history buffer and YT measurements in XY mode. Even simplest thing, Sinc interpolation,  Rigol 1kZ box can not do right way. In siglent there is always available true samples and interpolation is fully post processed and user have full freedom to select right display mode/interpolation afterwards (example when looking stopped scope including wfm  history buffer.) This is also important in real tool when user need detect if displayed wfm include well known Sinc interpolation "problems" when signal have fast changes related to current sample interval.
So, what we compare to what... perhaps lemons and shoes.

No need to get upset. I'm with you. I was simply saying that these scopes are a tremendous value and that A Brand scopes with similar (similar!) features cost many times more. The other big contender which surpasses these scopes spec-wise is the new Rigol MSO5000, but for double the price. So 1000x-e scopes are still the best value on the market IMHO.

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2019, 01:01:51 pm »
The scope only has the driver file for that exact wifi dongle. however the drivers are inside a directory that you can write files to, (needs to remount the directory),

Your free to try loading other drivers for other dongles, But i cannot say if it will work, as Its unclear to me exactly how the system app is hooking into it at this point.

\bin\siglent\drivers\mt7601u.ko

I used a TPLink wifi dongle on mine and it worked fine.
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2019, 05:18:56 pm »
I am going to try installing a few other wifi dongles and will provide any success stories in an additional thread. For me, I would like an AC dongle so I dont have to run legacy Wireless at home - just for the scope... I doubt the speed difference would help with the web server.

Offline guho

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
The $7 wifi adapter arrived from Newegg yesterday and it is the TP-Link TL-WN725N v3. It connected it to my SDS1104X-E & gets a valid IP via DHCP. I can't seem to access the scope web interface though. Via wired Ethernet it works fine. Running latest firmware with wifi feature unlocked.

Does the driver support all three TP-Link TL-WN725N versions? It seems so given that DHCP worked and the message pops up 'WLAN connected' but I cannot access the web interface or even ping the scope. Again, wired all working. I tried both USB ports, front and back.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:33 am »
The $7 wifi adapter arrived from Newegg yesterday and it is the TP-Link TL-WN725N v3. It connected it to my SDS1104X-E & gets a valid IP via DHCP. I can't seem to access the scope web interface though. Via wired Ethernet it works fine. Running latest firmware with wifi feature unlocked.

Does the driver support all three TP-Link TL-WN725N versions? It seems so given that DHCP worked and the message pops up 'WLAN connected' but I cannot access the web interface or even ping the scope. Again, wired all working. I tried both USB ports, front and back.
Have a study here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg2038612/#msg2038612
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2019, 06:36:15 pm »
I just got this scope and completed the *upgrade*. My experience was a mashup of other users, so I figured I would comment on what didn't work and what I ended up doing to achieve success.

What didn't work:
I followed the core dump procedure. I did the following:
  • Run the SCPI command SHELLCMD telnetd -l/bin/sh -p9999
  • Connect to the scope and follow the remaining core dump procedure on post #39

There are a few typos, but I was able to execute the procedures. I ran through it several times and was never able to generate a core dump on the first try. I then tried simply restarting SDS1000b.app without rebooting the scope and killing again (not what the above procedure suggested). A few times I was able to get the core dump file to generate, but that lead to another problem. As another user stated, the scope buttons remained unusable, even after restarting the app. The only way to recover was a power cycle. This would wipe out the core file that was created. In addition to the buttons not working, the scope would not detect the USB drive anymore to copy the core dump too. The Linux OS would detect the drive, but it would not mount. I had to manually create a temp directory in /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass-storage/ and manually mount /dev/sda1 to it to copy the core dump. I did this several times with several core dumps. I got a ~207MB file each time, but most of it was empty and searching for the string "SDS1000X-E" always yeilded "no match". So, this method did not work for me. Perhaps someone can explain why?

What did work:
Using following command to get a mem dump on the USB drive worked perfectly: post#54
Code: [Select]
SHELLCMD cat /dev/mem > /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/memdump.bin
The flash drive I was using had an LED indicator that flashed when preforming a read/write and slowly dimmed when idle making it easy to tell when the file was done writing, which was nice. I created several mem dumps to compare. Each one was different, which was expected, but I noticed only one contained my BW keys in a contiguous block that was human readable. None of them contained the options keys in a contiguous block, thus I needed to use some tools. I ended up trying the FindKeys and Trykeys tools mentioned in post #38. make sure you have the current version of Visual Studios (I ran VS2017 15.9) and install .NET Core 2.1 as that is what the tools run on.

Define the proper parameters in the FindKeys .json file as instructed in the repo readme and run the FindKeys tool against your mem dump file. It will generate a txt file that has all the possible combinations of possible keys through the fragmentation of the mem file.

Define the proper parameters in the TryKeys .json file as instructed in the repo readme. I noticed some things about the TryKeys program that should be addressed before running it.
  • It is setup to use authentication for the Telnet connection. This is not needed if using the below method to create an unauthenticated Telnet session. If the code is ran with the authentication step, it will hang. Simply comment out the IF statement if(!client.login() ...) to skip this.
  • I noticed that the code did not handle the response of the Telnet command properly WRT the bandwidth file. When parsing out parts of the response, it didnt seem to take into account that there was more information than expected. For example, if you selected "true" in the .json file to update the bandwidth.txt file, it reads the bandwidth file to see what the current key is. The response contained the entire cat command and PWD, but the code only grabbed the first 16 characters assuming it was the currently activated key string, but it was not. I selected "false" in the .json file so that it did not try to update the bandwidth and bypassed this whole mechanism. Perhaps it should use the .Contains() method as it does elsewhere in the code? I did the BW update in a later step below.
  • The telnet port is hard coded to check that 23 is used, but the .json file allows you to set a port number. This is odd as it will fail the comparison if anything other than 23 is used, so why make it a user definable option in the .json file??? :-// I changed the code to allow any port to be used (9999 in my case).
  • The code will try to send each key generated from the FindKeys txt file for each option. When the scope generates the corresponding options file, the program reports success for that key and moves on to the next option. The program then reports what key worked for each option. I ran this in single step because the program closes immediately after it finishes leaving no chance to write down the information (I also did this to make sure I understood what it was doing in each step). A pause should be added at the end if not running in single step if you want to document the keys. Or, you could always cat out the license file it generates. They contain the valid keys too.

The root telnet access method is needed for the TryKeys program to run:
Run the SCPI command
SHELLCMD telnetd -l/bin/sh -p9999
Then run the Trykeys based on the above config/recommendations.
If you didnt use the Trykeys to update the bandwidth (like me), run the SCPI command
MCBD (license key) where (license key) is the key for the bandwidth you want, to update it manually. Then reboot and check with the
PRBD? command to verify.

All in all, I think the method that worked for me is the simplest as it requires no software modifications (I was running 7.1.6.1.25R2 out of the box). It is also the most reliable as I was able to get the mem dump file every time I ran the command and all the files ended up producing the valid keys.

Hope my experience makes this process easier for others! I am really enjoying me new scope!

Offline harpster58

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2019, 07:13:47 pm »
Hi All - Instructions are very good, thank you! After reading the entire 5 pages of posts I ended up doing the following. Also for the record my scope was bought in Jan-2019 with 6.1.25.R2 and I had upgraded to 6.1.26 before doing this. (7.1. prefix shows up the FW revision i.s. 7.1.6.1.26)

I did the mem dump technique below and did get the 250M file (thanks to post #54)

SHELLCMD cat /dev/mem > /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/memdump.bin
I used the Mac OS "Hex Friend" editor to view the memdump.bin file and initially I thought I wasn't getting it but then it kinda stuck out like a sore thumb exactly as described in post #39 steps 21 - 23. What I'm NOT seeing are the Option codes #38 step 24. I see my serial number in two places but no 16 character strings nearby.

I started to try to use FindKeys but I don't use Visual Studio so not sure what I was doing there. I did a build the FindKeys prj and it did put a bin folder with a FindKeys.DLL and FindKeys.json but I don't understand how to run that... I thought there would a FindKeys.exe file? But Bandwidth was the main thing I wanted to upgrade... I will keep checking back here and maybe try the option codes again later... need a break now haha...  Many thanks!

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
What happened to politeness here?
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:43 pm »
This refers to the just plain nastiness here, specifically on the 1st page and throughout this thread (and others).
It's a sad state that certain individuals (that happen to be at a higher level) look down on anyone that doesn't meet their standards. Especially when they question previous post simply because the text was not clear enough.

To these 'individuals'; everyone is NOT at your esteem level of knowledge. What MAY be simple to YOU, isn't to others. We have one Dictator Trump in my country that thinks is is always right, the world doesn't need more like him. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:23:14 pm by videobruce »

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
continued.....
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2019, 08:27:16 pm »
BTW, the thread title does state "step by step" which means exactly that. NOT skipping details (other than very basic), under the assumption those details should be already known..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf