Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1327629 times)

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #1275 on: June 13, 2013, 05:01:56 am »
I know that Fluke45 isn't a Frequency counter but has a Frequency measurement function. If I connect the Trigger Output (TTL) of Hameg generator to Fluke45, it measures the frequency output of genarator (at my example 0.98MHz). But here what measures really the Fluke from Owon?

I think your meter is not capable of measuring the Trig Out of the Owon correctly because at the higher time base settings what comes out of the Owon is almost just plain 5VDC. The negative pulses can be as small as 2.5 microseconds, and the positive part about 30 milliseconds. Your meter is looking for a sine wave or something close to it, with a crest factor of less than 3. The TTL signal coming from your Hameg generator is closer to a square wave, which your Fluke 45 can measure correctly. If you look at the signal from the Owon's Trig Out with a scope, there is a low level noise riding on the positive part of it. I think your Fluke 45, which has a sensitivity in the millivolts range, is giving you the frequency of this low level noise signal since it is the only thing at its input that resembles a sine wave.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40:40 am »
TomC, your theory has a right base and gives a good answer to my question.
Thanks a lot for that.  :-+

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: June 14, 2013, 02:02:41 am »
I've been using my SDS7102 for nearly 5 months now. The purchase price was US $429 including the VGA, LAN, bag, and shipping. I've been using oscilloscopes professionally and for my own hobbies since I was a teen, but until recently my experience was limited to CROs. Now that I'm retired, I've been trying to upgrade my electronics lab with modern equipment while being budget conscious. I looked at many videos of different DSOs and read every review I could get my hands on before deciding to purchase the SDS7102. In retrospect, I still think that my decision was right for me, but I feel that all of my research failed to uncover some of the things that annoy me the most when using this DSO. At the same time, some of the things that were most fervently criticized by others, I've only found to be minor annoyances or just fine for my taste. So here is a list of the things that I currently like and dislike. It's just my opinion and based on my personal likes and dislikes. So feel free to jump in and challenge, criticize, or agree with any of it.

What I like:

1. The price.

2. The screen size and resolution.

3. The size, weight, stylish look, and thinness. I have 2 workbenches with pegboards and a top shelf. The top shelves hold most of my test equipment. For the DSO I was able to install a small shelf at eye level on each pegboard. This allows me to easily move it from one workbench to the other depending on what I'm doing. With this setup there is no possibility of sliding when you push any of the buttons.

4. The layout of the user controls and interface connectors. I find it uncluttered and logically grouped. The use of slightly different background shades highlights the different groups of controls thus making them easier to locate. The matching button and screen colors serves as a convenient reminder of the waveforms origin.

5. The fact that the scope is usable to around 200MHz without hacks or modifications.

6. The deep memory.

7. The VGA feature. I was an educator for a large computer company for 25 years. The use of overhead projectors for technical presentations was commonplace then. Now I can use this DSO to show actual live waveforms on a big screen TV. Granted, the only audience I have now is my wife. But it sure makes an impression when I pop up a waveform from my latest project while she's watching TV.

Minor Annoyances:

1. The GND noise. Yes, I can rethink my grounding arrangement whenever this issue gets in the way. But this gets kind of annoying if you are checking something simple, for example, the ripple of an analog PS.

2. The acronyms used to label some user settings on the screen, for example, M for time base.

3. The acronyms used for some of the measurements, for example, Vk for Vrms.

4. The menu system structure. Although after some time, I've become accustomed to it. Now I wonder if relearning to navigate a better organized menu system may also prove to be annoying at first.

5. The math function doesn't remember the last V/div setting used.

6. Can't turn off CH1/CH2 display while using the math function.

7. For regular use, the lack of a fine V/div & Sec/div adjustment. However, for XY mode, see Major Disappointments below, I find this to be more than a minor annoyance.

8. The slow screen refresh rate. For my current needs, mostly hobby related, I seldom find myself chasing glitches. So the refresh rate didn't have a lot of influence on my buying decision. However, the only other scopes I own are older Tek CROs, and although they are often useful for this type of thing, I no longer care for the use of visors or dark rooms just to catch a glimpse of phosphor radiation. So now I want, but don't really need, a DPO. Any ideas on how to convince a budget conscious wife that this is a good idea?

Major Disappointments:

1. The LAN interface. I have my electronics lab as well as the rest of the house wired through the walls for network access. The network includes several computers, televisions, WMC extenders and other entertainment equipment. When I purchased the scope I envisioned being able to monitor and control the scope from the lab while it was hooked up to equipment or gadgets in different locations throughout the house. But the LAN interface was crippled by slow speed from the beginning. With the latest firmware patches it has been further crippled by a non-functional image transfer, and a flaky high depth memory transfer that in certain cases causes the DSO to freeze.

2. The Remote Control Software. Even via the USB interface, which works reasonably well, using this feature is harder than playing the violin while somebody pulls clumps of hair off of your head. It doesn't read the current settings off of your scope, so if you change any setting, be prepared to see many other settings change to the default values used by the application. Sure you can change everything back to what you want, eventually, but it's more of a headache than a convenience.

3. The XY mode. I have a semiconductor curve tracer which has been permanently connected to a dedicated CRO for some time. I often salvage parts from discarded electronic equipment and this setup is useful for classifying as well as discovering the characteristic of unknown devices. When I purchased the Owon I envisioned hooking it up to the curve tracer to capture images of the characteristic curves of unknown devices. However, the curve tracer/scope calibration procedure calls for finely adjusting the scope's V/div on the X & Y channels until the correct pattern is displayed. That was never a problem with my CROs, but the Owon engineers decided to leave out the fine adjustment. So I'm unable to properly calibrate my brand new modern DSO for this task.

Even if I could live with a slightly uncalibrated display, there are more issues with the XY mode that are incredibly disappointing, at least for me. With the Owon's beautiful large screen, why would they limit the XY display to 6.5 x 6.5 graticules, leaving more than half of the screen's real state unused.

Then there is the fact, that you may not even get an xy image, unless you discover that the screen refresh rate and scope dead time has to be synchronized to your signal source. The manual states that the Time Base is not used for this mode, but changing the time base setting is the only method I found that allows you to vary the refresh rate until a trace is visible (See images captured using different time base settings). Notice that the trace consists of dots, making it fuzzy and unappealing, and you can't improve it's looks by turning on the persistence, because in XY mode the Persistence feature is non-functional.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:26:42 am by TomC »

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:26 am »
Thanks "TomC" for this reference.

I had propose ago, to summarize "what we want to has the next Owon fw'" and this list submited to Owon Info.

Please, add to the list and for those with native english language, correct the syntax and grammar of this list.
________________________________________________________________________________________

*) There is a complex menu with a lot of jumps from one button to other. As nice is the ergnomic of buttons as ungly is the firmware (fw).

Example-1 : there is no cyclic function in most buttons, look at SDS Series User Manual at figure 5-19 “Edge Trigger Menu”. Each time you pressed the button H4 “slope” it changed with cycle sequence “Trigger on Rising Edge” and “Trigger on Falling Edge” and that is what customers need for all buttons. It isn’t ergonomical to jump to vertical menu to change this. It is more easy to change this, each time to press the button.

Example-2: Look at SDS Series User Manual at figure 5-4 “Regulation of the Attenuation Ratio of the Probe”. Why the attenuation table (X1, X10, X100, X1000) pop-up at the left of screen and not to the right side, next to Probe Table (Attenuate)?

Example-3: Look at SDS Series User Manual at figure 5-5 “Measure Current”. Why you must turn the M knob continues to jump to a higher value? It is more ergonomically, each time to press the M knob to change the hundreds, tens, units…it is more quick and simple!

At the end for the menu ergonomics, there are many customers that believe to must redesign the menu and add some function that missing. Some others believe that's better to offer you an open source firmware (free) for development from power users. It is something that going to improve the image of Owon company to all customers. But this is something that is yours decide.

*) There is no way for fine (adjust) mode at Volts & Time Divisions. The two buttons are push-able but pressing the buttons the fw does nothing.

*) You can't change the length of memory depth at stopped mode. If you stopped the running, all the other choices of memory length are cancelled with exception the last length of memory you had choice.

*) Fw doesn’t have split-screen modes (double window) for FFT, or the usual split-screen zooming in on waveforms.

*) No way to mark, searches easily, or jump through wave records: this is just a "pain" for a scope with records, which can be 10Mpts long.

*) You can’t the display on real time all the measurements, only static! It is important to have all the measurements at the top or at the bottom with some transparency. Now blocs the curve and it appears with an ugly static image!

*) At the Edge Trigger Menu, there are two choices with "Trigger in rise edge" and "Trigger on falling edge". Missing the third choices “Both of” rising and falling edges

*) No linear interpolation of points or you can't turn off sin(x).

*) Correct some errors like "Vp" ro "Vp-p" (Voltage Peak to Peak), “Vk” to “Vrms” (Voltage RMS) to the Measurement Section.

*) The math function doesn't remember the last V/div setting used.

*) The LAN interface was crippled by slow speed from the beginning. With the latest firmware patches it has been further crippled by a non-functional image transfer, and a flaky high depth memory transfer that in certain cases causes the DSO to freeze.

*) The Remote Control Software. Even via the USB interface, which works reasonably well, it doesn't read the current settings off of your scope, so if you change any setting, be prepared to see many other settings change to the default values used by the application. Sure you can change everything back to what you want, eventually, but it's more of a headache than a convenience.

*) The slow refresh rate of screen in the range of 20-35 wfps. With this wfps, it is difficult to catch some glitches of the input signal.

*) .... please TomC, describe the problem of X/Y without personal references.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:50:58 am by lemon »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »

Please, add to the list and for those with native english language, correct the syntax and grammar of this list.
________________________________________________________________________________________

*) .... please TomC, describe the problem of X/Y without personal references.

Lemon, I don't see anything difficult to understand on your list. The Chinese are not native speakers either. I wouldn't worry about syntax and grammar, just that the points you want to make get across.

As to the X/Y problem, maybe something like this will do:

On the X/Y mode 6.5 x 6.5 graticules is not sufficient, more of the screen should be used. The display should synchronize with the input signal independently of the time base setting, currently you may not get a display at all unless you find an appropriate time base setting. Also, a dot display is unappealing,  you should be able to choose vectors or dots. In addition, the persistence feature should be enabled in case it's necessary to improve the way the signal looks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I would wait a little bit on this, I only tested the X/Y mode with my curve tracer, maybe some other members will add comments on this now that the issue has been brought to light. Also, I don't know how well the X/Y mode works on other DSOs in the same price range, I've only used it with CROs in the past. Maybe we will get some comments about that too.

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19:41 am »
TomC,
I liked your post. My list of likes and minor dislikes is similar to yours. I haven't found any major dislikes, probably because I don't use the features you like the least - the X-Y & LAN output (I don't even have the LAN jack but probably wouldn't use it anyway). I also seldom use the PC software.
One of these days I'm going to try Lemon's ferrite fix for reducing the induced switching (Gnd) noise. Being a 2011 model mine's not that bad, but it still has some. For a simple procedure it seemed to make a real difference. Did you ever think of trying it?

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: June 15, 2013, 03:02:51 am »
TomC,
I liked your post. My list of likes and minor dislikes is similar to yours. I haven't found any major dislikes, probably because I don't use the features you like the least - the X-Y & LAN output (I don't even have the LAN jack but probably wouldn't use it anyway). I also seldom use the PC software.
One of these days I'm going to try Lemon's ferrite fix for reducing the induced switching (Gnd) noise. Being a 2011 model mine's not that bad, but it still has some. For a simple procedure it seemed to make a real difference. Did you ever think of trying it?

Yes, I would also like to try rf-loop's DIY, but that'll have to wait until the scope is a little older because it voids the Warranty. Another thought I had is to use a ferrite based absorption material that you can stick to the circuit board. I saw this mentioned on a technical article someplace, but now that I think I have an application for it, I'm having a hard time finding where I filed it.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: June 15, 2013, 04:38:59 pm »
Another thought I had is to use a ferrite based absorption material that you can stick to the circuit board. I saw this mentioned on a technical article someplace, but now that I think I have an application for it, I'm having a hard time finding where I filed it.

I finally found the article where I read about this. The variety on the attachment seems to have a frequency range that may be effective for the SDS7102 GND noise. Has any one experimented or used these type of materials, if so, would you mind posting your impression, results? The FFAM06 sheets are the least expensive I found so far, about US $10 for a 4" x 4" at Digi-key.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:46:03 pm by TomC »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1283 on: June 15, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »
Looking at that I would try just using a few pieces of flat magnet, as it is basically the same, lossy ferrite in a flexible binder. Comes as strips in a fridge door, or for free as magnetic decals, and is self adhesive onto ferrous substrates.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: June 15, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
Looking at that I would try just using a few pieces of flat magnet, as it is basically the same, lossy ferrite in a flexible binder. Comes as strips in a fridge door, or for free as magnetic decals, and is self adhesive onto ferrous substrates.

I have tried the magnetic decals, the type you get in the mail advertising phone numbers of dentists etc., but not for this particular application. When I tried to use them as a substitute for ferrite cores by rapping them around wires, etc. the effect was very minimal compared to a real ferrite core. Probably the grade of the magnetic material has to do a lot with their efficacy. I'm with you that the price for a 4" x 4" seems kind of high, so I'm hoping that someone that has used them will shed some light on whether they are worth that price.

Offline EU1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: June 16, 2013, 09:17:13 pm »
Be careful with magnets. They may saturate inductor cores. Thus, if the best happened, noise will increase dramatically. In some cases a converter IC may burn down if its overcurrent protection circuit is not good enough.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: June 16, 2013, 10:41:04 pm »
Be careful with magnets. They may saturate inductor cores. Thus, if the best happened, noise will increase dramatically. In some cases a converter IC may burn down if its overcurrent protection circuit is not good enough.

EU1, do you have any experience with ferrite based absorption materials similar to the one I posted on the previous page? I have read that they work very well, but all the information I have comes from the manufacturers, so it's probably at least somewhat biased. I would like to have some independent confirmation of their worth or worthlessness before I try them.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:12 am »

EU1, do you have any experience with ferrite based absorption materials similar to the one I posted on the previous page? I have read that they work very well, but all the information I have comes from the manufacturers, so it's probably at least somewhat biased. I would like to have some independent confirmation of their worth or worthlessness before I try them.

Absorption material should not be magnetic as will change it ferrite properties to absorb the radiation. Fridge magnets are permanently magnetised and so CAN not necessarily will saturate an inductors core and alter the effectiveness of the inductor properties. Ferrite based protection shield are always non magnetic.

Offline EU1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:41 am »
EU1, do you have any experience with ferrite based absorption materials similar to the one I posted on the previous page?
I have not used it, but I guess a simple tinplate shield would be effective enough.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:08:43 am by EU1 »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:17 pm »
What I'm looking for is a way to eliminate or dramatically reduce the SDS7102 GND noise without altering the circuit boards in any way. Several other approaches have already been offered, but they all have the potential of voiding the manufacturer's Warranty. That's something I'm not willing to do at this time, and I think this is also the position of some of the other members that own SDS7102s.

So I'm looking for a solution that only involves modifications that can be easily removed if the scope has to be sent to the manufacturer for under Warranty repairs. That includes Snap-On ferrite cores, which have been used successfully by other members to filter out some of the noise.

What I'm trying to get input on, is the possibility of using this ferrite based absorption material in combination with ferrite cores to get results similar to what rf-loop obtained with his DIY modification. I don't advocate in any way using magnets, and I think the warnings posted by other members about magnetic core saturation should be heeded. Using tin shields or faraday shields has also already been brought up and tried by some members, but this approach usually involves soldering or other modifications that are not so easily undone trace free.

So I'm hoping that some of you may have experience with this ferrite absorption material that you want to share, or other suggestions that don't involve circuit board alterations. The main criteria is that it's something that can be easily undone trace free.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: June 18, 2013, 04:05:12 pm »
Why not use conductive paint inside the box to shielding it?
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »
Why not use conductive paint inside the box to shielding it?
Thanks for the tip, I'm investigating some sources of that stuff now that you brought it up. Only downside I see so far is removing it if the scope has to be sent in for under Warranty repairs.

Edit: From my limited research, it seems that there is a wide variety of these products available. However, it seems that the ones economically feasible for this project are carbon based, and therefore resistive and with poor shielding characteristics. The plus side is that they are water soluble and apparently easily removed with soap and water.  So they may be useful for a wide variety of other applications. I'll look some more as I have time, there may be something in this category that may be helpful to partly address the GND noise issue. For now, I'm still looking for further ideas and any other information on the ferrite based absorption materials.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:00:55 pm by TomC »

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:14 am »
At the post #1197 I done a test with a metal cage (not entirely closed) to psu board. It was open to ac side and close to adapter board side.
This eliminated the EMI and decreased the noise by 0.5 (X)

The same was happening with a large cylindrical ferrite to the cable btw the two pcbs.

If you make an internal shield to all plastic cage of oscilloscope, will be a shield to outside environment but not to inside.
I am not an expert but my opinion is that there is three solutions about these:
1) Cancel of noise with a lot of decoupling capacitors to specific areas of psu and adapter boards (rf-loop method)
2) Filtering the emi with appropriate ferrites to some cables and probes.
3) A metal cage for the psu board (very difficult, small and strange area).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:18:30 pm by lemon »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: June 19, 2013, 03:20:46 pm »
At the post #1197 I was done a test with a metal cage (not entirely closed) to psu board. It was open to ac side and close to adapter board side.
This eliminated the EMI and decrease the noise by 0.5 (X)

The same was happening with a large cylindrical ferrite to the cable btw the two pcbs.

If you make an internal shield to all plastic cage of oscilloscope, will be a shield to outside environment but not to inside.
I am not an expert but my opinion is that there is three solutions about these:
1) Cancel of noise with a lot of decoupling capacitors to specific areas of psu and adapter boards (rf-loop method)
2) Filtering the emi with appropriate ferrites to some cables and probes.
3) A metal cage for the psu board (very difficult, small and strange area).

I agree that metallizing the scope's cabinet would not help the noise in the inside. So I'm not looking at this approach as even a partial solution right now. However, I think that there may be other opportunities where shielding may be beneficial inside the scope. In that area I'm looking for ways to implement it that are easier than trying to construct a rigid faraday cage as you did. For example, pressure sensitive metallized tapes. It is in this area, where I thought some types of conductive paint may also be helpful, for example, to complete an electrical connection of the shield to a ground trace without soldering. I'm also looking at transparent shielding materials that may be useful to reduce the EMI radiating from the TFT panel. Then there is the ferrite based absorption material that I've been talking about. Here I'm hopeful that this would be effective in reducing the EMI emanating from components and circuit traces by applying it directly to them, or in one of the other configurations advertised by the manufacturers. Also, there is the proven line of defense, as you documented on your post, a ferrite core on the ribbon cable between the PCBs.

So in summary, what I'm envisioning is a multi-pronged approach including some of the already proven techniques and adding some others that haven't been explored yet. At this point I'm just gathering information, here are some links to some of the information I've been looking at, let me know what you think. The same goes for any other members that are interested, your ideas and comments are always welcome.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtnxTynXfEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

http://www.murata.com/products/emicon_fun/2012/09/emc_en14.html

http://www.tech-dream.com/Seminar/Cal_EMC_Seminar_2010(Intermark_EMI_Absorber).pdf

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: June 19, 2013, 06:37:56 pm »

I have tried the magnetic decals, the type you get in the mail advertising phone numbers of dentists etc., but not for this particular application. When I tried to use them as a substitute for ferrite cores by rapping them around wires, etc. the effect was very minimal compared to a real ferrite core. Probably the grade of the magnetic material has to do a lot with their efficacy. I'm with you that the price for a 4" x 4" seems kind of high, so I'm hoping that someone that has used them will shed some light on whether they are worth that price.

Just did an experiment using some advertising that had magnetic backings on them ( the paper went to the recycle bin but not the magnets ;) ) and yes they are pretty useless as EMI absorbers. I made a 12 turn coil ( came in at pretty close to 12uH as well) and looked at the dissipation and Q with or without a pair of these ferrites in the core. Not more than a 1% difference, and even with the magnets holding the core not much change. So I can then say that they will be good to stick wiring down with no problems, but they are as good as berries on a mule at attenuation of RF on wiring.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1295 on: June 19, 2013, 07:38:30 pm »
Well, I decided to make some mods to psu board and presents step by step the changes.

My psu version is PCB-T115-J REV6 with:
IC1 = R7731 Burst Triple Mode PWM Flyback Controller
IC2 = LM324L-S14_Quad Operational Amplifiers
IC3 = MC34063A-D 1.5A Step up_Step Down Inverting Switching Regulator

The test done to the same conditions (stable room temperature 26°C), SelfCal to Owon and the probe was fixed on the table by the tape.
I measured the oscilloscope at four conditions:
- Without any mod
- With adds two appropriate ferrites on specific cables (see the photo)
- With electrolytic capacitors mod
- With the new capacitors and ferrites

Step 1: Electrolytic Capacitors Changed and how this result to noise pattern
I changed all the Chmec LR Chinese Electrolytic Capacitors (8, except this of 33uF/400V) with the Nippon NCC KY Series. I kept the same capacity/volts for 470uF/16V and 1uF/50V but changed the 22uF/50V by 47uF/63V.

All the spikes has gone and remains only the threshold of noise. The decoupling properties of Nippon is better than Chinese Chmec capacitors and filters spikes better.
A little better result we have with two appropriate ferrites at the cable that connect the psu and adapter board and the battery cable. The ferrites filters and the rest of board noise.
If we combine the ferrites and new capacitors, we have better results but it is very closed to image with the ferrites only (a bit little spikes only).

After spikes eliminated, the next step will be some mods to decrease the noise threshold of psu...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:19:08 pm by lemon »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1296 on: June 19, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
Well, I decided to make some mods to psu board and presents step by step the changes.

Good work lemon! I'm curious about a couple of things: Did you have any issues putting the scope back together with the ferrites in place? How much of an improvement did you get by adding the ferrite on the red wire versus just the ferrite on the ribbon cable?

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:23 pm »
Yes, there is with a large ferrite to ribbon cable. Unfortunately, there is appropriate area inside to Owon for this big ferrite.
See at the attachment photo the red point, this is the problematic place from left handle fixed. You need two parts of flat ferrites, at the beginning and end of the ribbon cable.
The next one smaller ferrite (battery cable) didn't any problem.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1298 on: June 20, 2013, 02:29:16 pm »
Well, I attached a photo from my pcb board. I have mark with red arrows the changed capacitors.

Step-2: Adding smd decoupling capacitors to all electrolytic capacitors and IC3 - Effects on noise pattern.

Today, around of IC3 (MC34063A-D 1.5A Step up_Step Down Inverting Switching Regulator), all the changed electrolytic capacitors put some smd decoupling capacitors with 1.5nF & 220nF each. I have attached a sample photo of these.

I done some measures with ac and battery operation and I am looking how this effect on pattern noise vs ferrites on cables.

At the final, the smd decoupling decrease more the noise level and there is no need to put ferrite on ribbon cable but this is not happening with battery. With battery operation need the ferrite on this battery cable. For some reason the smd decoupling and the new Nippon capacitors didn't filtering complete the noise.
The adding 2 ferrites on this battery cable doesn't better results. Recommended the use of one small ferrite. 
In all these patterns the noise has decreased and periodically there is some more noise signs.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »
...the noise pattern...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf