Poll

What do you think is ok?

You should pay for everything.
18 (7.3%)
Tweaking hardware is ok, downloading or tweaking software is not.
22 (8.9%)
Tweaking hardware and software is ok, if it is mine I can do what I want.
157 (63.3%)
Everything is ok as long as it saves me money.
31 (12.5%)
Something else.
20 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 239

Author Topic: Stealing: The double standard?  (Read 123289 times)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Stealing: The double standard?
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2014, 06:24:04 am »
That doesn't sound reasonable to anyone.

It's never going to be a perfect system, the idea of ownership in general is fundamentally flawed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:25:47 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2014, 07:26:26 am »
If you survey 1000 random people who buy music about how much they spend per year the average will be pretty low, ~$100 maybe.
An 'all you can eat' style music service for $100/ year would be a win for everyone.

It's called Spotify.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:48 am »
Human cultural views evolved in a world in which only physical objects existed...

TerraHertz,  while I like to agree with you  and I like the idea of information being free, but I don't yet buy all the arguments.  I wish we can come up with an argument that can stand for I would like to see all information free.

This is an example of holes in the logic and is what I found difficult to close the loop on:

1. Karajan conducted the Berlin Philharmonic.  No one would argue that you need to pay to get in the hall to see their performance.

Correct. The hall is a physical thing, can't be reproduced, can realistically be owned, so you have to pay to get in.
2. Karajan recorded the same piece in a studio, made a recording and sold the vinyl record.  No one would argue they need to pay for the little piece of vinyl disc.  2b. If someone transferred the content to a cassette tape and sell it, one would not argue that such action is illegal.  (agree so far?)

3. Karajan and that same recording company decided to clean the tape up, digitize it and sell the CD, no one argued you need to pay for the CD.  3b. If someone transferred the content to a cassette tape and sell it, one would not argue that such action is illegal.  (agree so far?)
Partly. The CD and tapes are physical things. If you want them, you have to pay the producer. But once you have them (especially the CD with its digital information) there's NO WAY anyone can prevent you making copies of the information if you wish. Also any means to prevent you giving away copies involve massively intrusive social control.
The physical things are not the same as the information.

4. Now the same CD is digitized differently into MP3 for it should be free?  If so, should I be able to package the free stuff and make a business?  Red Hat packaged Linux, but that was free by owner's choice.  Let say Karajan is still alive and he doesn't want to give it away, should he have a say?  What rights would Karajan has?
Your problem is you are confusing wishful thinking with moral/logical argument. You'd like to think Karajan should be able to get income from nth-degree transfers of the information he created. But I'm saying that it's fundamentally impossible for him to achieve that. And all attempts to socially enforce that are doomed to failure, and can only harm society in trying.

The only thing we can realistically do, is invent a social scheme in which it is admitted that information cannot be owned, and try to adapt to the consequences in a productive manner. For instance Karajan could (like many artists) make his work freely available, with a request for donations from those who like his work. He may not get rich this way, but at least it's not trying to fight the fundamental nature of the Universe.

4b. Now the same CD is digitized differently into MP3 for a download purchase.  Say I downloaded it for $x, should I be free to "pass it along"?  What is Karajan's right if I am free to pass it along (or not).
Because you insist that _some_ information can be owned, you're tying yourself up trying to define hard boundaries on a scale that has no delineations. It's all information, once it exists in perfect digital form it's futile attempting to split hairs and say this one is free, this other one is not. Incidentally, http://everist.org/texts/Fermis_Urbex_Paradox.htm

Lastly, everything is really just information.  Mass is energy.  Matter is but specific arrangement of particles which is nothing but pure energy - it is how we arrange it that makes it what it is.  And how we arrange it is just pure information.
Perhaps we may one day have technology that allows us to treat physical matter in the same way as information. But we do not yet, and some factors (Uncertainty Principle etc) suggest it may not be possible. Till it is, we are logically sound to treat matter and information as fundamentally different things. While they are still different my point stands: material things can be owned (because they take effort to produce, can't be copied, and occupy distinct physical locations) and information cannot be owned.

All arguments that information _can_ be owned ultimately reduce to wishful thinking. Along the lines "X put effort into creating this information, so X _deserves_ to be paid for it!"
I'm not arguing about the 'deserve'' part. I'm saying it's fundamentally impossible to enforce the actual payment. So it's better to just get over it, and find some workaround in which there's no attempt to enforce the unenforceable.

We eradicated polio (I think I got the right virus), and we have the info on the genome.  That once physical and once a life form is now just 1's and 0's.  Even we are all merely 1's and 0's.  A very long and ever string of 1's and 0's but a string of 1's and 0's none the less.

Actually the concept is that any information set is just a single integer on the number plane. What base you write it in is immaterial.
I'd expect some entity does claim to own the code of the polio virus. Certainly some labs do still retain samples of the actual virus. I recall a debate about whether they should destroy the samples, but can't recall the outcome. Not important anyway, since I'd wager someone would chose to keep some regardless of the decision.
Someone can own the physical samples. But the genome data - it's information. Can't be owned. It can only be possessed and only kept by secrecy.

So, can anything be owned at all?
Your claim that matter and energy are identical things is not valid in a practical sense, only in the E=MC^2 sense.
So yes, physical objects can be owned,
information cannot be owned.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:51:12 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:40 am »
the idea of ownership in general is fundamentally flawed.

No no! Not so. Industry, technology, art and knowledge itself depend crucially on the concept of ownership. Anyone who has tools, and knows what happens when they lend tools to incompetent, careless and stupid people, will explain this to you.

Physical things require effort and often much skill and many other carefully maintained physical things to manufacture.
All these things can only be created by an investment of time, by skilled people. Time is the most precious thing for us mortals, since we each only have a small allotment of it. Skill is even rarer, and many people are entirely lacking it.

Without the concept of personal ownership of things, the furthest you can get in social development is hunter-gatherers. If you take an advanced society and take away personal ownership (as happens with Communist takeovers) the society deteriorates from there on, until it returns to some very crude level, or there's a counter revolution that restores individual rights of ownership.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Fagear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:00 am »
Funny things about MP3s.

If I'm buying CD (or vinyl, or whatever) with music - I'm giving money for physical media, for printed pieces of paper, for a box and for shipping cost. And I own that CD and can do what I want - listen it on audio system, in my car (with my friends), grab in any format and listen it on my PC. If I want to sell the CD - no problem. I sell it, I have no copy of that music and I have money for it. But if I sell MP3 file - I can leave exact copy on my hard drive. So... Why I should ask money for it? I can't do it, because it costs me virtually nothing. So I can not have any profit from it.

From other side: when you are paying for MP3 - what you are paying for? If for the copy of file - you must have right to resell it to anybody else (even if you have a copy, because it is data). If it is "right to listen (licence)" than I have a big question: "Why the hell I have to pay for same thing many times?". For example: I paid for one track on iTunes and I "have right to listen" to it, but I'm not owning the data. Why I must pay for it again if I want this track from other music provider (in some other OS or something)? This is just stupid at my point of view. I already bought the right to access this data.
Same with software and games. I buy, say, Half-Life 2 for PC. And then I buy an X-Box 360 (or I go to my friend who has it) and I want to play same game there. I already bought this game: I bought "the right to play in it". Why the hell I can not play the same game on other platform and have to pay again? (I don't mind now politic of manufacturers of game consoles now, where console itself costs more than it sold for, but those money get back when I pay for expensive games - it have to change if "right of access" politic will be applied).
I bought a ticket to cinema and watched some movie. I bought the right to see it and some extra for room, screen and chair for 1,5 hours. If I want to have DVD/BD copy at home - I can pay for it again, because it is physical media and I understand cost of it. Not creator of the movie, but distributor had to deal with typography, buying boxes, printing, packing, shipping and maybe lease for some room and pay other bills. But when I asked to pay extra for downloading or streaming the same movie after I bought the ticket - I do not understand it.

And back to music. Again, about MP3s. Lets say, that master copy of some music is CD with 44.1/16 wave format. Thats ok. But when you converting it to MP3 - technically, this MP3 is not the same data stream anymore. It does not sound the same either (maybe not for human ear, but you can see it with some measurements). So actually - it is not the same chunk of data and it does not sound as original. So what it is? And why I have to pay for it?
Unless music providers sell music in some lossless format (that gives you same chunk of data and no audio corruption) - I don't see any reason to pay for any MP3. ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:36:28 am by Fagear »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:06 pm »
Unless music providers sell music in some lossless format (that gives you same chunk of data and no audio corruption) - I don't see any reason to pay for any MP3. ;)
That is precisely why I don't spend money for (the right to listen to) music in any digitally compressed format... Despite PCM is already a simplified view of the original analog soundwaves that reached the microphone, but I can only go so far in fidelity. :)

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fagear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »
Despite PCM is already a simplified view of the original analog soundwaves that reached the microphone, but I can only go so far in fidelity. :)
Exactly my thoughts. In my post above I said about 44.1/16. This is common format for Audio CD and so - for most part of music files. But even 44.1/16 is not exactly original sound (because of discretization), but it is close enough.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »
Link to warez site deleted.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:10:48 pm by GeoffS »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:58 pm »
Ultimately, Adobe probably doesn't care too much if amateurs pirate their top software - as long as the big companies pay for it.  After all, having Photoshop a standard most are trained in "by default" can help boost sales to larger companies and that's where the big bucks are made.

In the electronics world, it's more useful to have people familiar with your top equipment and recommending it to others, than to make only a few sales to hobbyists.

So Rigol shouldn't be concerned, if their main market is to big companies.

At the moment, this doesn't seem to be the case - they're mostly supplying the small fries. I'm sure Rigol does sell a lot of scopes and other equipment to bigger companies, but at the moment, a good portion of their market is hobbyists and individuals. This might change in the future, so it would benefit Rigol to allow hacks to continue.

Ultimately, with software, you are licencing someone else's code and data, with conditions set out in licence agreements. I think as long as you don't void the terms of the agreement (reverse engineering clauses excluded) then there is no moral violation.

With hardware, you've been given the hardware already that's fully capable of maximum bandwidth, etc. Why would it be immoral to unlock this?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:49 pm »
If you survey 1000 random people who buy music about how much they spend per year the average will be pretty low, ~$100 maybe.
An 'all you can eat' style music service for $100/ year would be a win for everyone.
Now add the amount of money you pay for advertising. Yes, that is right: with EVERY product you buy you pay for advertising. That money is used to buy music and video to play on the radio and show on TV. In some countries like the NL it is even worse: there you have to pay for the public radio and television stations as well. In total it's around 800million euro. With 10 million people paying taxes that comes down to 80 euro per year. I wouldn't be surprised if advertising costs even more. So without buying a single CD or Bluray I already spend over $200 on music and video.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline minibutmany

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2014, 12:09:33 am »
Ethics aside, is it actually illegal to modify a scope to an upgraded version?

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:02 am »
If I'm buying CD (or vinyl, or whatever) with music - I'm giving money for physical media, for printed pieces of paper, for a box and for shipping cost. And I own that CD and can do what I want - listen it on audio system, in my car (with my friends), grab in any format and listen it on my PC. If I want to sell the CD - no problem. I sell it, I have no copy of that music and I have money for it. But if I sell MP3 file - I can leave exact copy on my hard drive. So... Why I should ask money for it? I can't do it, because it costs me virtually nothing. So I can not have any profit from it.
What about the case of making a copy (let's assume that's legal under fair use) and selling the *original*? Legal or not, it would definitely be difficult to enforce.

It has been said that piracy is the worst enemy of open source software. Obviously not because of open source software being pirated, but because piracy provides a free alternative to open source software. I'd imagine that GIMP and Libreoffice would be more popular if there weren't pirate copies of Photoshop and MS Office out there... In the same way, those boycotting RIAA (for example) shouldn't pirate the MP3s since that creates demand.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline bridgerectifier

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:08 am »

You cannot shove ethics to one side, unless your conscience is troubling you, in which case... that is why you'd do so. "The law is an ass" is so true, but...

legality aside:

If it feels wrong, it's VERY likely wrong, morally. You can debate, reason and "build a case" using other people's (equally immoral) "justifications", but if something is right - you KNOW it is, and you don't need to seek peer validation from strangers - you just go ahead and do it with peace and a happy conscience :)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:39 am »

As far as I know it's not illegal to modify your own scope, but if you get paid to modify your customer's scope, or if you buy the cheapo and modify+rebrand to the other one, I think you're on the dangerous side.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:44 am »
I'm pretty convinced big software companies put cracked copies on the market on purpose to get a bigger installed base. Once the economic situation in a country or area gets better they cash in.

I also think so, because putting it themself gives them control over the "hidden crack serial" and gives them info about "when and where" is our cracked software installed.

They even do it the smart way: The software is "preactivated" or "with serial click phone option" so you can expect to be hidden. But on their site they offer free downloadable drivers, little extension here, plugin for modbus, click here, install there.
And on their or others forum you can post you problems and attach your file or snippet. Right.

Like with my illegal software: If I ever start a company or develop a product, all the info they need is already known or included in my product, without me knowing how and where. Their optimum is wait till the right moment is reached: This guy is now capable of paying a license, without having to close his company, so he can continue to pay every year now.

I feel like I don't 'damage' them. Of course I have a free toy, but I don't sell products that leads to less sales for them. I don't have a company that illegally closes a company that does have all the right licenses. My existence doesn't let make them less money. On the other hand I'm a free marketing instrument for them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:18:21 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »

There is no law against it in any country I am aware of.
You bought the physical product, you can do anything you want to it in the privacy of your own lab.
For it be "illegal" would require a court judgement, and that would require:
a) The company to sue you (it's not the concern of any government department, so it's a private matter)
b) To somehow determine that you have deprived the company of income or harmed the company in some way (next to impossible unless you did it for profit or possibly made the info public)

So for all intents and purposes, the answer is no, it's not illegal. And for anyone to argue against that would require some case law example, of which I doubt that any exists in the case of test equipment.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »
It may however be illegal when the outcome is you now owning something illegal.
Like modifying a radio so it can transmit on frequencies that the public isn't allowed to own a transmitter for.
Or stuff like thermal cameras, i cant remember if military spec'ed thermal cameras are actually illegal to own or just sell, but you get the idea
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2014, 01:43:20 pm »
It may however be illegal when the outcome is you now owning something illegal.

It is not illegal to own an oscilloscope you paid for.
Once again, there is no law against it. The company must come after you and win a case that you "stole" from them.
Until such case law sets a precedent in a specific example, it's not "illegal". You paid for the scope.

Like modifying a radio so it can transmit on frequencies that the public isn't allowed to own a transmitter for.

Is it illegal to simply own a non-powered transmitter of some frequency?
I'd like to see some case law that sets a precedent there.
I have a function gen that goes from DC to daylight. Is it illegal for me to simply own that and a suitable wideband transmitter?
Heck, I can hook an antenna straight into the sig gen and make it a transmitter.

Or stuff like thermal cameras, i cant remember if military spec'ed thermal cameras are actually illegal to own or just sell, but you get the idea

Only in the land of the free, they have federal laws for export.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:47:45 pm by EEVblog »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
So what you are saying is that I should murder you and take all your stuff. Forget morality, if I can kill/rob you can avoid punishment there is no reason not to.

We have laws for that.
We do not however have laws for modifying your scope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:33 pm »
Is it illegal to simply own a non-powered transmitter of some frequency?
I'd like to see some case law that sets a precedent there.
I have a function gen that goes from DC to daylight. Is it illegal for me to simply own that and a suitable wideband transmitter?
Heck, I can hook an antenna straight into the sig gen and make it a transmitter.
Owning such equipment isn't legal without a HAM license in some countries. But as long as your are not broadcasting, who is going to know?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2014, 11:51:10 pm »
That turns out not to be the case;

See, Dolphins, Chimps, Bonobos, Gorillas. Even dogs have a sense of fairness and unfairness.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
I'd suggest that morality is probably evolutionarily necessary for anything that develops intelligence - that morality is how it knows that "kill all my brethren to successfully compete for food" is not a good survival strategy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:00:36 am by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:00 am »
Try doing some research on the subject. It's scientifically verifiable, to the best of our current ability, that these animals have complex social behaviors including basic empathy, relationships, sense of fairness, self-awareness, basic cognition, and other abilities formerly presumed to be unique to mankind.

Humans are unique only in the degree to which they possess these attributes; they are not unique in having them at all. It's a difference of degree, not of kind. Most of the emotions and behaviors which we claim to be uniquely human, are in fact basic mammalian herd instincts. Self awareness is rare, but not unique. Our reasoning, both logical, mathematical, spatial, etc. is far more advanced than any other animal; but animals diverse as dolphins, apes, and crows have demonstrated basic reasoning abilities.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:05:51 am by Phaedrus »
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:54 am »
Try doing some research on the subject. It's scientifically verifiable, to the best of our current ability, that these animals have complex social behaviors including basic empathy, relationships, sense of fairness, self-awareness, basic cognition, and other abilities formerly presumed to be unique to mankind.

Humans are unique only in the degree to which they possess these attributes; they are not unique in having them at all. It's a difference of degree, not of kind. Most of the emotions and behaviors which we claim to be uniquely human, are in fact basic mammalian herd instincts. Self awareness is rare, but not unique. Our reasoning, both logical, mathematical, spatial, etc. is far more advanced than any other animal; but animals diverse as dolphins, apes, and crows have demonstrated basic reasoning abilities.
This is true. Humans simply think themselves to be high and special and to a certain extent its true, just not to the extent that most people would like. Animals are not given enough credit for being complex in terms of those traits. Heck its only been in the last couple decades(indeed, the last 5 years even) that any official acknoledgment has come about on just how indepth some of these traits can be with animals.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2014, 02:47:34 am »
Owning such equipment isn't legal without a HAM license in some countries.

Owning a wideband function generator is illegal? (if you get my point)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf