Author Topic: Free Altium is Coming  (Read 362553 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Free Altium is Coming
« Reply #425 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:37 am »
Thanks for reporting in, but you missed some HUGE parts....

4.).  Files are cached so you can work locally.   

Can I save locally?

Eeek.  So if Altium pulls the plug on the software in a few years, and does another 180 (as prone to do)....all the users are out of luck?  I'm going to invest my time in that for what?

Can you not create your own arbitary random parts at all , or just not submit them to the communal library?

Exactly.  And for the hobbiest, you often want to tweak the footprint a bit for home etching, or hand soldering vs reflow, or for a dozen of reason. 

Damn you Altium! You had one job!  Make the user interface intuitive, give us a board size as large or larger then free eagle, and if you want me to pay for a huge board, 4 or 6 layers, or flex PCB, then charge me. 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:24:15 am by george graves »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #426 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:11 am »
I just tried to find out about altium, just spoke to a UK rep. Err WTF ? the "low end" version is a cloud based one you use online with all of your projects published in the community, So totally unsuitable for professional use although apparently you can buy add ons. A full license is £5000, and there are no cut down versions say for pin count. Great, waste of time. Well done altium you missed the target very widely. Guess I'm stuck with Dip Trace and hoping they learn to code properly some time soon.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #427 on: September 22, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

8.). Schematic and library editing is exactly as what you would expect
but....
5.).  Library....   real supplier links must be used.   No scrappy parts.  Your parts that must have real manufacturing, supplier data.     we discussed parts that are
What exactly does that mean ?
Can you not create your own arbitary random parts at all , or just not submit them to the communal library?
Does that mean you can't create communal library parts for obsolete stuff like nixie tubes?
Are you forced to create schematic parts for every PCB part ?
That's worrisome.  :scared:
Did a PCB a while ago with these IGBT's mounted on the board, good luck finding a footprint for them.  :--
PDF attached 
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #428 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
I just tried to find out about altium, just spoke to a UK rep. Err WTF ? the "low end" version is a cloud based one you use online with all of your projects published in the community, So totally unsuitable for professional use although apparently you can buy add ons. A full license is £5000, and there are no cut down versions say for pin count. Great, waste of time. Well done altium you missed the target very widely. Guess I'm stuck with Dip Trace and hoping they learn to code properly some time soon.

They're not aiming it at professionals AT ALL.  They're trying to stop hobbyists from getting so used to the steaming pile that is Eagle that they accept it and continue its use.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #429 on: September 22, 2014, 10:34:02 am »

They're not aiming it at professionals AT ALL.  They're trying to stop hobbyists from getting so used to the steaming pile that is Eagle that they accept it and continue its use.

We are living in an interesting world and there are plenty of small start-ups, like me. We won't be paying 5K for software and we won't be putting our work online for all to see. So unless you suddenly get the urge to spend the cash your not going to use it. It would seem that altiums plan is to get hobbyists into their software and then once they are used to it they will need to pay a lot of money for or ask their employer to spend a lot of money. I asked the guy if they have different licensing levels like diptrace does on pin count and he said that a lot of people ask that but they don't. So clearly altium are not listening, because people are asking for it. i will have to stick with diptrace...... Clearly altium only fry big fish.

I've registered, I'll see what the paid addon's are but the impression he gave me was that keeping your stuff private is not an option so it looks like they have gone so wide of the border either side that either you will only ever use it as a hobby platform or at a very high level - missed the target by far.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #430 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
There's a lot of pages here now so I haven't seen if this has come up already, but why the hell wouldn't they bring out a version of the Altium Designer software without the FPGA nonsense, limited to say 4 or 6 layers, and maybe 30cm square size limit, and some advanced features missing, for something like £1000-£1500?

Surely there must be a fairly large amount of people who would go for that deal? I know a lot of small businesses would consider it a no brainer.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #431 on: September 22, 2014, 10:40:00 am »
Yea, i'm one of them, but apparently altium have a long history of being thick and not changing any time soon. when diptrace does progress to a decent level altium will have no chance in the low end market

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #432 on: September 22, 2014, 10:54:23 am »
There's a lot of pages here now so I haven't seen if this has come up already, but why the hell wouldn't they bring out a version of the Altium Designer software without the FPGA nonsense, limited to say 4 or 6 layers, and maybe 30cm square size limit, and some advanced features missing, for something like £1000-£1500?

Surely there must be a fairly large amount of people who would go for that deal? I know a lot of small businesses would consider it a no brainer.

Sold!

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #433 on: September 22, 2014, 10:56:29 am »
I'd get a couple of seats, and stop paying maintenance on two full seats here that are somewhat underutilised.
Oops.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #434 on: September 22, 2014, 10:57:24 am »

There is not enough money in the hobbyist market  - the only way this can work is for it to be a stepping stone to more professional use via upgrades.
Hobbyists in general have more time than money, and are likely to switch to whatever tool does what they want for free.   
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:20 am »
Yea, i'm one of them, but apparently altium have a long history of being thick and not changing any time soon. when diptrace does progress to a decent level altium will have no chance in the low end market

Waah! This unreleased free software probably doesn't do what I want.

Steady on, chap. Why not wait to see what it actually is before you get all pissed off about it?
I'm not saying that Altium won't do something daft, but seriously?

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see the buy-in price for full Altium to drop a bit, though, as an enticement, perhaps with it being fully rental, and no 'let it stay frozen and unmaintained' option?

Interesting times.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:18 am »

Steady on, chap. Why not wait to see what it actually is before you get all pissed off about it?

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see the buy-in price for full Altium to drop a bit, though, as an enticement, perhaps with it being fully rental, and no 'let it stay frozen and unmaintained' option?

Interesting times.

The person i spoke to was pretty clear that if i wanted to keep private business IP this was not the solution for me. He said that yes there are addon's but as far as he knew none will allow keeping designs private. So it's a total no show and not even useful for small businesses. He was clear that it's not for business by hobby projects. My impression is that they are trying to create the electronics version of facebook. No thank you!

Offline jmag999

• Contributor
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »
I spoke with a rep at Maker Faire who told me that private designs would be an add-on but that they were not considering local file storage at this time.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Free Altium is Coming
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »

Interesting times.

The person i spoke to was pretty clear that if i wanted to keep private business IP this was not the solution for me. He said that yes there are addon's but as far as he knew none will allow keeping designs private. So it's a total no show and not even useful for small businesses. He was clear that it's not for business by hobby projects. My impression is that they are trying to create the electronics version of facebook. No thank you!

Sounds like he didn't really know what he was on about.

The cloud saving isn't even set in stone FFS!

Didn't Dave even mention a paid vs public suppository, Upverter style?

There be a bunch of Chicken Littles up in 'dis thread.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »
I spoke with a rep at Maker Faire who told me that private designs would be an add-on but that they were not considering local file storage at this time.

Yeah, I think that was mentioned before.

What folks don't seem to be understanding (in my naive view, perhaps) is that we aren't the target market for this tool.  We're so sure that WE wouldn't use it, but we can't speak for folks that are just starting out today.  Some of us are just starting out and will gladly evaluate this tool and don't care about local file saving.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:56 pm »
if your a business you have to be a little bit careful. I can't go to my boss and say that I'm going to start using a tool that will store stuff online where it can get hacked or that we spend thousands on software that we use to design 2 prototypes a year with. If altium want to ease people into using their software this is not the way to do it for existing businesses and the rep (who is a reseller so maybe not up to date) said that many people ask if there is a pin count limited version so clearly people are asking for one thing which other companies offer but they are not providing it. If it's an in or out for 5K I'm out. Diptrace got the right idea but their software is um... work in progress.

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:34 pm »
If you're doing two designs a year, I'd say you may be better off subbing it out, than keeping on relearning tools and paying subscriptions...
Someone who bangs their heads against the tools all day, every day is going to be so much quicker. You'd still do the tricky bit (the actual designing of what you want to achieve - architecture, main component selection) in house, but the handle-turning of getting a schematic and PCB out the door - are you sure you want to dedicate that much time and effort?
Just a thought...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »
If you're doing two designs a year, I'd say you may be better off subbing it out, than keeping on relearning tools and paying subscriptions...
Someone who bangs their heads against the tools all day, every day is going to be so much quicker. You'd still do the tricky bit (the actual designing of what you want to achieve - architecture, main component selection) in house, but the handle-turning of getting a schematic and PCB out the door - are you sure you want to dedicate that much time and effort?
Just a thought...

It's part of research and development, not something we want to hand over to a sub contractor. Yes we do use them but when your making it up as you go along you have to work in house or bring in very expensive consultants. I can fix problems and make PCB's to the latest spec based on what we just learnt more quickly than a subcontractor finding someone free to do the work for us and then the tedious job of communicating what we want. Subcontractors are not available "on tap" they have other customers too.

Personally speaking I'm a one man band designer so far designing a few products to present to people and hope they are interested, so of course I'm not subbing that out and neither is paying 5K for software an option. My impression is that altium licenses are locked to your machine as the rep was keen to point out that with their freeware version I can log in from anywhere. I just told him that with diptrace I can use any computer i please with one license providing I don't try to run two at once. He had nothing to say to that. I can take my laptop away with me and carry on working, I take my dads to see my sister and when i get bored pull out the laptop and get working, bet altium is not so flexible.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »
Yes, now that the cat is out of the bag, Altium have teamed up very closely with Octopart to integrate it into the parts and library backend.

So does that mean your 'who is Altium buying?' musing was an elaborate bluff, and you had a strong suspicion as to a most-likely answer all along?  ;)

[Edit to correct typo - 'our' instead of 'your' - oops!]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:09:33 pm by baljemmett »

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #444 on: September 22, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »
It's part of research and development, not something we want to hand over to a sub contractor.

That's most of my jobs!

And yes, you can use proper Altium on multiple machines, but not simultaneously. Laptop and desktop, just works absolutely fine. You need to remember to check out a license if you want to work off-net for a while, but as licensing schemes go, it's painless. It does a bit of authentication and watermarking of some sort when you add a new machine, but meh, their code, their rules.
If you forget to shut down your desktop session before trying to use a laptop, you can just remotely yoink the license away.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #445 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:32 pm »
sounds similar to the floating license we use at work for Solid Edge (3D CAD) but that costs more than a regular license.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #446 on: September 22, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »
So does that mean our 'who is Altium buying?' musing was an elaborate bluff, and you had a strong suspicion as to a most-likely answer all along?  ;)

Octopart is one of many possible companies.
Would make sense, but so so do others as well, so I have no idea, and they won't tell me of course.
And I doubt they need all that money to to buy Octopart, that would be foolish I suspect, but Altium are the masters of foolish.

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #447 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
What exactly does that mean ?
Does that mean you can't create communal library parts for obsolete stuff like nixie tubes?
Are you forced to create schematic parts for every PCB part ?

Sorry for the ambiguity.  Typing on a phone at midnight is difficult for my brain.

So,  What I meant by "Schematic are Libraries are what you expect" is that the core editor, dialogs, etc are exactly as they are in Altium.

The did exactly what I thought they would do.    They used the Object libraries already developed and just create a new shell around them.  I had some minor objections to a few things but it was nicely done.

As for the details on the libraries and how multiple footprints map schematic parts,    etc.   Here is what I took away:

1.)   All of this is still under consideration....
2.)   When you create a part,  you are creating an entity that is keyed to an specific manufacturer part number.    (The correct way IMHO).    So,  you do not a create a 555 timer.  You create a TLC555CDR with all the metadeta.

I brought up all the other use cases and they are going to talk about how to work in the other use cases while keeping the flow simple.

Here is the general problem.  How do you have a community library that ensures consistent quality, etc?      I suggested some sort of system that filter out the good parts from the bad via some sort of icon/coloring, etc.

3dcontentcentral has a parts rating system but there is often multiple copies of the same part.

Lastly,    what they were showing off was the start of a community tool for open designs.    If you are looking for a tool to make proprietary designs for profit that are not open,  then this first tool is not for you at this point.

The target audience were those who want to make more open hardware.

My other thought that if you are small business who needs to get things private,  you need to come up with a workable business plan that can buy a real tool.    Expecting a free tool for your business without having any restrictions is not reasonable.

Now,  it looks to me that they are planning on options for closed design but right now it is looking like a community product to start with.

For a price tag of zero it is a good start.     There are a bunch of things to work out but I am personally pleased that there is some level engagement with the users.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:51:30 pm by ehughes »

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #448 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:00 pm »

2.)   When you create a part,  you are creating an entity that is keyed to an specific manufacturer part number.    (The correct way iMHO).    So,  you do not a create a 555 timer.  You create a TLC555CDR with all the metadeta.

All well and good, but I also need to be able to build a part based on 'that funky LCD I ripped out of a clock 4 years ago'. (or scored off an anonymous ebay supplier, or that sort of thing. Stuff that Octopart are never going to know or care about in a million years.

but yeah, still sounds promising.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #449 on: September 22, 2014, 03:14:42 pm »
if your a business you have to be a little bit careful. I can't go to my boss and say that I'm going to start using a tool that will store stuff online where it can get hacked or that we spend thousands on software that we use to design 2 prototypes a year with. If altium want to ease people into using their software this is not the way to do it for existing businesses and the rep (who is a reseller so maybe not up to date) said that many people ask if there is a pin count limited version so clearly people are asking for one thing which other companies offer but they are not providing it. If it's an in or out for 5K I'm out. Diptrace got the right idea but their software is um... work in progress.

Right, cloud storage for a business is not always a good idea and not always a bad idea; it depends on the cloud service, it depends on what you're putting in there, and it depends on .. a lot of things, actually.

I don't think this tool is aimed at the business user.  Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.  I'm pretty sure this is aimed at hobbyists who occasionally need to increase the capabilities of the program for a specific project here or there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf