Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 487543 times)

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #500 on: May 08, 2020, 12:14:02 pm »
It did not fix it, I press the setup button just after starting TestController, i.e. before look at Current values or logging. The Setup menu do not open, but the meter beeps and shows a couple of errors (The menu will open after many timeouts).
The mode you uses do not look good on the meter, each time you start the trigger it replaces all digits with dots, until it has a value. I.e. the display is flashing all the time.

This time I did what I should have done the first time around: Made a logfile.
I did one for each of you two configurations

HKJ,

This should fix all of the timeouts, I will look into the trigger issue later today, I have to start my normal job.

* Keysight344xxA.txt (14.67 kB - downloaded 72 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #501 on: May 08, 2020, 01:40:12 pm »
This should fix all of the timeouts, I will look into the trigger issue later today, I have to start my normal job.

It works now, except for the trigger issue. The display  flicker on the meter and logging is slow, my old definition can basically sample at 0.01s intervals, yours a 0.5s intervals.
I have not tested everything, just tried a bit in some of the modes.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #502 on: May 08, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
It works now, except for the trigger issue. The display  flicker on the meter and logging is slow, my old definition can basically sample at 0.01s intervals, yours a 0.5s intervals.
I have not tested everything, just tried a bit in some of the modes.

HKJ,

The attached might fix the trigger issue.

* Keysight344xxA.txt (14.69 kB - downloaded 56 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #503 on: May 08, 2020, 05:20:43 pm »
The attached might fix the trigger issue.

No, the DMM do not know the *trg command.
The best is to have a continuous trigger running on the meter, then the display on the meter will show a value and data:last? will return immediately with the last converted value.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #504 on: May 08, 2020, 06:29:42 pm »
No, the DMM do not know the *trg command.
The best is to have a continuous trigger running on the meter, then the display on the meter will show a value and data:last? will return immediately with the last converted value.

HKJ,

I adjusted the #askValues and #prepareSample back to the original settings you had in the single device file. I am not sure the first file that did not work was because of all the timeouts so now I have time out fixed maybe this file will work

* Keysight344xxA.txt (14.68 kB - downloaded 66 times.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:41:19 pm by MikeLud »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #505 on: May 08, 2020, 07:16:45 pm »
I adjusted the #askValues and #prepareSample back to the original settings you had in the single device file. I am not sure the first file that did not work was because of all the timeouts so now I have time out fixed maybe this file will work

No timeouts, but the DMM beeps and refuses the command from the setup popup.
Mt guess is that you need to start each setting with "abort" and finish with a reinitialization of triggering.
I could add a SCPI command/tag like [prepareSample] to redo the #prepareSample sequence. I believe that is a nicer way to do it, compared to add the full sequence to each setting write.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #506 on: May 08, 2020, 07:46:58 pm »
No timeouts, but the DMM beeps and refuses the command from the setup popup.
Mt guess is that you need to start each setting with "abort" and finish with a reinitialization of triggering.
I could add a SCPI command/tag like [prepareSample] to redo the #prepareSample sequence. I believe that is a nicer way to do it, compared to add the full sequence to each setting write.

HKJ,

How does the #cmdMode handle reinitialization the triggering?  You only have abort & *cls before the SCPI commands

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #507 on: May 08, 2020, 07:50:04 pm »
How does the #cmdMode handle reinitialization the triggering?  You only have abort & *cls before the SCPI commands

abort will stop any triggering mode, any #cmdMode means the #prepareSample will be used before data is collected next time.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #508 on: May 09, 2020, 12:45:07 am »
Hi HKJ,

Thanks for your hard work to create this logging utility.  From a few hours trying it out it seems to work well.  :-+

Attached is a device file for Owon ODP6033 or ODP3033 or ODP3063 power supplies.  All in one family and all triple supplies with various combinations of voltages and currents.  I wrote the device file for all three but I only have the ODP6033 to test with.  The hardest part was that the English language SCPI documentation on Owon's web site seems to be completely wrong.  Fortunately the Chinese one is correct but not knowing Chinese and using Google translate is a challenge.

I have a Keithley model 2100 6.5 digit meter.  It is rebranded by Keithley from Array which sells this device under their own name as an M3500a.  It supports VISA SCPI but the only interface is USB TMC.  From what I can see this program has limited support for USB connections that are not set up as COM ports.  Is there a way to make a device file and talk to this device?

gby

Next up will be a device file for a Sorenson XG 600 Power supply when I have time.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #509 on: May 09, 2020, 01:31:51 am »
HKJ,

I think I fixed the trigger issue, please try the attached.

* Keysight344xxA.txt (16.93 kB - downloaded 41 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2020, 05:11:07 am »
Attached is a device file for Owon ODP6033 or ODP3033 or ODP3063 power supplies.  All in one family and all triple supplies with various combinations of voltages and currents.  I wrote the device file for all three but I only have the ODP6033 to test with.  The hardest part was that the English language SCPI documentation on Owon's web site seems to be completely wrong.  Fortunately the Chinese one is correct but not knowing Chinese and using Google translate is a challenge.

Thanks, it will be included in the next update.

I have a Keithley model 2100 6.5 digit meter.  It is rebranded by Keithley from Array which sells this device under their own name as an M3500a.  It supports VISA SCPI but the only interface is USB TMC.  From what I can see this program has limited support for USB connections that are not set up as COM ports.  Is there a way to make a device file and talk to this device?

Sorry, I only have support for serial ports and partially support for HID devices for now.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2020, 05:18:36 am »
I think I fixed the trigger issue, please try the attached.

Mostly fixed. It works, but sometimes the trigger fails to initializes. Changing mode and back will fix it.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2020, 06:37:06 am »

Small correction for Keysight344xxA.txt
relating to 2 wire resistance low power:
For this to work the corresponding entry should read:

:write: abort;*cls;RES:POW:LIM
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2020, 09:02:08 am »
V0.62 is up.

It includes the 3 Owon PS from gby.
I have change the initialization of the setup menu, now it will show the popup first and then initialize it, it is a fraction of a second slower, but that is more than compensated for by making popup visible much faster.

The above also means I could add a preview of the popups, it is found by right clicking the master device selection combobox.

The preview do not communicate, this means all text field will be empty, radiobuttons will not be selected, etc.. It is possible to play with the popups.
It also means the :visible: tag will be enabled for all lines, this can be seen in the Siglent SDG popups. When using a it while connected to a device the :visible: tag will work as before.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, MikeLud

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #514 on: May 09, 2020, 11:26:28 am »

Mostly fixed. It works, but sometimes the trigger fails to initializes. Changing mode and back will fix it.

Small correction for Keysight344xxA.txt
relating to 2 wire resistance low power:
For this to work the corresponding entry should read:

:write: abort;*cls;RES:POW:LIM

Made some adjustments, increased the the delay before initializes the trigger and fixed the 2 wire resistance low power.  Please test and let me know the outcome.

* Keysight344xxA.txt (16.96 kB - downloaded 59 times.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:36:15 am by MikeLud »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #515 on: May 09, 2020, 11:53:07 am »

Made some adjustments, increased the the delay before initializes the trigger and fixed the 2 wire resistance low power.  Please test and let me know the outcome.

I modified this entry:
#cmdSetup info Active_Mode
:read: FUNC?

This looks to have fixed the problems with triggering stopping.

I will include this definition from next version (This do not mean I have checked everything).

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #516 on: May 09, 2020, 11:57:38 am »
The above also means I could add a preview of the popups, it is found by right clicking the master device selection combobox.

Great feature, this let me see what I am doing when making the device file for the Keysight344xxA. Also it would let others see some sample to get ideas when creating a new device file

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #517 on: May 09, 2020, 03:13:44 pm »
HKJ,

IMHO the change to show the popup right away and then fill the values in is definitely better.  Always a bit of confusion when you click something to be on and nothing happens for seconds.  I also think the preview mode for popups in the LOAD time on device selection is great.

I have a device that communicates with Telnet on port 23 using just ASCII text.  But, it is not SCPI compliant.  For example using Putty to connect, typing *IDN? returns
    Error: [0085] Command was not found.
to the *IDN? query.  However communication is simple ascii text exchange over Telnet.  To retrieve data values using Putty you send something like AXIS1.VL.FB and it returns something like
   6.769 [rpm]
   -->
where the "-->" is a prompt.  Any way to hook a device like this up to TextController?  I would think nearly everything needed to work with such a device is already in TestController.

I tried to create a device file for this device on port 23 with the correct IP address and when I run in debug mode I get:
;; Start thread for: COM1
;; Start thread for: 192.168.1.162 - Kollmorgen AKD2G Servo
;; 192.168.1.162: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM1: Set params: 9600
;; 192.168.1.162: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; Stopping thread for: 192.168.1.162 - Kollmorgen AKD2G Servo
;; COM1: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM1: Rx: timeout
;; COM1: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM1: Rx: timeout
;; Stopping thread for: COM1

I assume it stopped the thread for the Kollmorgen AKD2G Servo device because it did not like the response to the *IDN? query with just the 0x0A line feed at the end.  Or, I suppose it is possible that the device did not respond at all with only a LF and no CR at the end??  Any thoughts on connecting to this device?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #518 on: May 09, 2020, 03:20:52 pm »
I have a device that communicates with Telnet on port 23 using just ASCII text.  But, it is not SCPI compliant.  For example using Putty to connect, typing *IDN? returns
    Error: [0085] Command was not found.

The standard driver is strictly SCPI, I do have other drives, but none to handle the above.
I may add that at a later date.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #519 on: May 09, 2020, 03:47:08 pm »
HKJ, thanks for the quick reply and thanks for considering supporting even more device types.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2020, 04:03:11 pm »
I have been working on a new cmdSetup control that can be used to show/hide other controls. I hope this will work much better than the :visible: control for showing/hiding many controls. This control will not always work with the preview, I will probably improve that a bit.
It do not work across pages, but pulls all named controls to its own page. "page.name" must be used to identify controls on pages.

The other controls are defined as usually, then one or more "selector" controls can be added, each with a list of control to handle.
What line of controls are enabled depends on the expression, it is possible to use either numeric or text values for selection lines.

#cmdSetup selector Test
expression
value1 control {control {control {control {control ...}}}}
value2 control {control {control {control {control ...}}}}

Doing updates and/or enable on the selector will affect all visible controls in it.

http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

This is a very early version and not tested very much.

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #521 on: May 09, 2020, 04:21:50 pm »
HKJ,

I am trying to use the combobox and comboboxHot setup commands, the issue I am having is when it does a read and the value comes back in scientific notation it does not convert to a number like all of the other setup commands. Is it possible have this conversion.

Thanks
MikeLud

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #522 on: May 09, 2020, 04:29:57 pm »
I am trying to use the combobox and comboboxHot setup commands, the issue I am having is when it does a read and the value comes back in scientific notation it does not convert to a number like all of the other setup commands. Is it possible have this conversion.

The combobox control works with strings, i.e. it do not do any number conversion of the received value. A comboboxint may be useful, but for floating point I cannot see it as very useful.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:32:58 pm by HKJ »

Offline MikeLud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #523 on: May 09, 2020, 04:51:42 pm »
The combobox control works with strings, i.e. it do not do any number conversion of the received value. A comboboxint may be useful, but for floating point I cannot see it as very useful.

How I am trying to use it is to cleanup the setup tabs (make it less busy) by changing some of the radio types to a combobox so you do not have a mile long radio control.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2020, 04:57:39 pm »
How I am trying to use it is to cleanup the setup tabs (make it less busy) by changing some of the radio types to a combobox so you do not have a mile long radio control.

List the values returned from the meter as the values for the comboxbox using the text directly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf