Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 815800 times)

alonsojar and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
Hack the Beeper!!!
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Nyanscope! Excuse poor cat drawing skills.

Getting the solid pink block was tricky - the annotation only stores a finite number of blobs - if you keep drawing, earlier stuff disappears. Had do do something nasty using a reference waveform.

Pity the ARB only has one channel - could have done sound as well with 2!
Naahhh it's cool enough as it is!  :-+ Had a good laugh about it!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Why hack? If it follows the logic of the other R&S Scopes it should be
Code: [Select]
SYSTem:BEEPer[:IMMediate]
Generates an immediate beep.
see: https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_manuals/gb_1/h/hmo1002_1202/HMO1002_1202_SCPI_ProgrammersManual_en_01.pdf page  206

could you try this mike?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
see: https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_manuals/gb_1/h/hmo1002_1202/HMO1002_1202_SCPI_ProgrammersManual_en_01.pdf page  206

could you try this mike?
It beeps (rather quietly) but no pitch control
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
I have two units, one to giveaway!

BTW, I'm told that the launch deal on this scope is limited to 300 scopes in each market segment (US, Asia, Europe), so you'd better get in quick before the universities scoop them up.

Stil waiting for the launch in Europe... so far cannot find any such deal (R&S Benelux have never even replied to my email, it has been one week!)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
1. ok we understand that a full RTB2000 review is too much for Dave for doing it right now. 2. On the other side the RTB2000 has some features many users are waiting for since the invention of the DSO :)

How can this discrepancy be solved?

I drop everything else I have going on, including the two other scopes that came before this one that everyone is waiting for too.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
I have two units, one to giveaway!

the ride never ends  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor

could you try this mike?

... is there an arb waveform available to fm-modulate a sine wave on the gen output?
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
1. ok we understand that a full RTB2000 review is too much for Dave for doing it right now. 2. On the other side the RTB2000 has some features many users are waiting for since the invention of the DSO :)

I drop everything else I have going on, including the two other scopes that came before this one that everyone is waiting for too.
Which other scopes? Given the amount of RTB2000 videos already out there doing the other scopes may be more informative.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

could you try this mike?

... is there an arb waveform available to fm-modulate a sine wave on the gen output?
Don't think you can modulate with an arb, but there are quite a few options.

Offline pm.llb

• Contributor
Pity the ARB only has one channel - could have done sound as well with 2!

Pink cat with digestion problems flying over brand new scope screen. All in HD!
R&S could not imagine better promo :-)

Mike - full respect!

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor

No, careful! Please don't drop a scope!  :P

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Especially if the BNCs aren't bolted to the chassis! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Offline vokars

• Contributor
Especially if the BNCs aren't bolted to the chassis! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Don't worry, these scopes have already broken through the eval 8bit wall without a scratch. Now the eval 8bit wall, that resisted for decades, will no longer disable honest engineers from looking behind the eval 8bit quantisation noise. Even two unknown 8bit scopes, that were sent to distract the attention of honest truthseeking users, will not stop their victory. Finally the 8bit wall ... has collapsed.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Which other scopes? Given the amount of RTB2000 videos already out there doing the other scopes may be more informative.

Keysight 1000X, Siglent 1000X-E, and I haven't done the Hameg or the GW Instek either. That four scopes that come before the R&S.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Keysight 1000X, Siglent 1000X-E, and I haven't done the Hameg or the GW Instek either. That four scopes that come before the R&S.
Sounds like a job for the new employee...

Offline vokars

• Contributor

I also like the Keysight 1000X and the Siglent 1000X very much. On the other side: Keysight already delived a lot of videos during their scope month. I believe that the users expectations will be fulfilled with both scopes. I don't expect a sensation here.

Different with the RTB2000. The questions here is: Are we at the beginning of a new development cycle? After increasing samplerates, screensize, refreshrate and memory step by step for the last 20 years: Will vertical resolution and sensitivity be the feature, that will be improved by the vendors for the next decade step by step? What does the expanded dynamic mean for the measurement of THD, SNR,  etc.? Does the RTB2000 fulfill the expectations?

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Send it over here, i'll review it.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

Do the Hameg and GW Instek so you have something new to show & tell. Others have already beaten you when it comes to the other scopes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:38:35 am by nctnico »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Do the Hameg and GW Instek so you have something new to show & tell. Others have already beaten you when it comes to the other scopes.

I don't care about being beaten.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Online Neganur

• Supporter
Others have already beaten you when it comes to the other scopes.
No they have not, the 'reviews' were useless (for the RTB at least)!
Only Mike's showed it in actual use and you can see stuff on the screen. Dave does different things with scopes so it would still be valuable.
Also, there is quite a few people on the forum who bought the presale  and would love to get Dave's impression.

edit: quote mess  :S

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Others have already beaten you when it comes to the other scopes.
No they have not, the 'reviews' were useless (for the RTB at least)!
Only Mike's showed it in actual use and you can see stuff on the screen. Dave does different things with scopes so it would still be valuable.
Also, there is quite a few people on the forum who bought the presale  and would love to get Dave's impression.
Still it is zero information versus some information. I rather know more about the scopes with zero information available than the ones I've already seen in action. Mike's RTB2000 review & teardown was pretty thourough anyway and with the presale event over it is a very expensive scope.

@Dave: it is not about being beaten but I rather see something I have not seen before.

Online Neganur

• Supporter
Mike's RTB2000 review & teardown was pretty thourough anyway and with the presale event over it is a very expensive scope.

What are you talking about he only looked at the decoding and that was thorough, but far from all as he said himself. There is tons in the scope we haven't seen yet.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
RTB2004 FFT video review?
« Reply #673 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:51 am »
Speaking of things not seen yet, is anyone aware of a video review of the RTB2004 FFT posted anywhere yet?  Maybe part of one of the existing videos that I've missed. I've been using a Rigol 2000 series so there is nowhere to go  but up with the FFT, but still would love to see a review.  Especially of the RTB's FFT vs. some of these new crop of cheaper (list price) scopes coming out.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:37:02 am by agdr »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Mike's RTB2000 review & teardown was pretty thourough anyway and with the presale event over it is a very expensive scope.
What are you talking about he only looked at the decoding and that was thorough, but far from all as he said himself. There is tons in the scope we haven't seen yet.
You can't do a full functional test in a review. What Mike has showed (besides decoding) is how the menu's work, how the general operation works, etc so all in all it is a good review to get an idea whether you like the way it works or not. If you are really interested in buying it then have to do more homework, get one on loan and do your own tests to see if it fits your needs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:11:15 am by nctnico »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf