Author Topic: should i buy fluke87 or spend more and buy something better?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline navidrctTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
should i buy fluke87 or spend more and buy something better?
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:58 am »
hi . i want buy multi meter that do dishes for me  :-/O
please if u have any suggestion tell me

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: should i buy fluke87 or spend more and buy something better?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:25 am »
Forget that Agilent, Fluke 87 is the pro general purpose 6000 count meter

The following users thanked this post: navidrct

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:02 am »
Personally I favor Fluke but you should make your decision based on your own needs - general bench or repair work, logging requirements if any, voltages present, etc. You really can't go wrong with a Fluke but if you need logging etc on a daily basis and you only want one meter, there are other options, an Agilent 1272A or 1252B for example.

Also, there are lots of cheap logging meters so you could have a Fluke for a daily driver and use the cheapie for occasional logging tasks. I do repair work and although I have owned and do own 5 1/2 and even 6 1/2 digit models I cannot think of a time I ever needed more than 4000 counts to troubleshoot an actual problem. For this type of work the Fluke 87V (6000 counts in basic operation) is superlative. The accuracy is rated .025% DC but usually runs about 8x or so better than spec'd, it does capacitance to 10,000uF (unlike the III which goes to 5uF), temperature (unlike earlier versions I and III), can do 20,000 counts if needed without slowing down appreciably (unlike the earlier versions). Rugged, reliable, safe, does not drift with time, and is fixable if it ever does break (which is pretty unlikely).

I can tell you this as someone who has owned more meters than most and had ten or so meters laying around which I could grab for a given task - the Fluke 87V is the one I grab when I need a reading I can rely on without a second thought.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
Buy something that will be good enough for your current and next problem. Then you will learn why you need more - if you ever do need more.

If you spend less money on this, you will have more to spend on that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:02 am »
First of all let me preface what I am about to say with I would not pay $350+ for a brand new Fluke 87V.. I own two of them and they are absolutely my favorite meters, but I would not pay that much for them. I bought mine on ebay for much less. One was brand new for around $200 and the other one was in a fairly good condition but used, needed a good cleaning though.

Why I like the Fluke 87V?

- Ergonomics: It's a no frills meter that provides a streamlined user experience. All the essentials are there and nothing more. Less is sometimes more, when it comes to operating a test instrument.

- All the features are well thought out and well implemented: other meters in this price range will offer more features, but some of those might be gimmicks. Every feature on 87V is well implemented, no BS.

- Build quality. The instrument feels premium. The rubber bumper, the function selector switch, the plastic used, are all top notch.

- Fluke reputation. Unless you abuse it.. it will last you a long time, and it will most likely stay in spec without a drift. It's an industrial meter so it will also take moderate amounts of abuse without issues.

- Resale value. Related to the above point, it's a Fluke, If you need to ever sell it, provided you buy it for a good price on ebay, you can pretty much always get the same money you spent back for it.

- Battery life. Other meters in this category (including other models from Fluke) may woo you with all the "bells and whistles" but none of them offer the incredible battery life 87 V offer.

This is my personal opinion and many may disagree. But I think 87V is the perfect multimeter. It has in my humble opinion the best mix of features and ergonomics one could ask for in a meter.

But as I said.. it is expensive. And you certainly can't go wrong with other excellent meters people have talked about on these forums.. checkout Dave's own EEVBlog meter (Brymen) for instance.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:07:39 am by Muxr »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline Lbud4

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:42:19 pm »
Have both the 87 and the Agilent listed above. Buy the Agilent unless you are looking for a meter to abuse. The fluke can be abused but the Agilent is a better meter. 

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:59:03 pm »
I think the better question is, what are you gonna be using it for? Also, any specific features you're after?
There's no doubt that the Fluke 87-V is a great multimeter, but should you spend $380 on it? Not Necessarily!
I always tell people, just because you can afford something, doesn't mean you should get it.
The sensible thing to do is to buy a product that fits your needs and not blow your money over something that is over the top.
I mean look, it's your money (and you're free to spend it any way you like), but I'm just trying to give you good advice.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, navidrct

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »
hi . i want buy multi meter that do dishes for me  :-/O

That would be a dishwasher, not a DMM.  >:D

Spend less and get something as good as or better. However, that depends what you need it for. See next answer, below.

please if u have any suggestion tell me

There are so many DMMs out there. One size does not fit all. It's best to specify what your needs are (what are you going to use it for?) and what your budget is.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:18:55 am »
First of all let me preface what I am about to say with I would not pay $350+ for a brand new Fluke 87V.. I own two of them and they are absolutely my favorite meters, but I would not pay that much for them. I bought mine on ebay for much less. One was brand new for around $200 and the other one was in a fairly good condition but used, needed a good cleaning though.

Why I like the Fluke 87V?

- Ergonomics: It's a no frills meter that provides a streamlined user experience. All the essentials are there and nothing more. Less is sometimes more, when it comes to operating a test instrument.

- All the features are well thought out and well implemented: other meters in this price range will offer more features, but some of those might be gimmicks. Every feature on 87V is well implemented, no BS.

- Build quality. The instrument feels premium. The rubber bumper, the function selector switch, the plastic used, are all top notch.

- Fluke reputation. Unless you abuse it.. it will last you a long time, and it will most likely stay in spec without a drift. It's an industrial meter so it will also take moderate amounts of abuse without issues.

- Resale value. Related to the above point, it's a Fluke, If you need to ever sell it, provided you buy it for a good price on ebay, you can pretty much always get the same money you spent back for it.

- Battery life. Other meters in this category (including other models from Fluke) may woo you with all the "bells and whistles" but none of them offer the incredible battery life 87 V offer.

This is my personal opinion and many may disagree. But I think 87V is the perfect multimeter. It has in my humble opinion the best mix of features and ergonomics one could ask for in a meter.

But as I said.. it is expensive. And you certainly can't go wrong with other excellent meters people have talked about on these forums.. checkout Dave's own EEVBlog meter (Brymen) for instance.

I agree with all of this regarding the 87V. Though, if he's considering the 87 or 87III,  my tune would be a little different.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:02 am »
The 87V is definitely a robust and well regarded meter, but hardly the most featured. Maybe you should wait to get Dave's new meter, the 121GW. Or maybe consider the Keysights mentioned, or a Brymen BM525S or BM868S

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:53:55 pm »
Have both the 87 and the Agilent listed above. Buy the Agilent unless you are looking for a meter to abuse. The fluke can be abused but the Agilent is a better meter.

I think anyone that is asking this question can "live with" the Agilent.  It is a great meter at any price, that's why I started the u1252b thread.  I must have 25 meters now and the Agilent is my go-to.  I've had my original micronta for 30yrs, what would make me think the Agilent would not last just as long or longer and at that time frame I will have to chose the son to leave it to.  Pay twice as much and get he same.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf