Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E  (Read 39763 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
I'm trying to update the firmware on my SPD3303X-E and I downloaded and installed EasyPower from the Siglent website; it runs up but as soon as I try to connect using USB or LAN, it crashes.

My Windows PC is Windows 10 64 bit - any ideas?

[Edit] I tried it using an old Laptop running XP SP3 and I get a similar problem, when I try to connect, it says 'failed to connect' seems both PCs may need a driver?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:51:07 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:40 pm »
I'm trying to update the firmware on my SPD3303X-E and I downloaded and installed EasyPower from the Siglent website; it runs up but as soon as I try to connect using USB or LAN, it crashes.

My Windows PC is Windows 10 64 bit - any ideas?

[Edit] I tried it using an old Laptop running XP SP3 and I get a similar problem, when I try to connect, it says 'failed to connect' seems both PCs may need a driver?
As mentioned in reply #12, MS .NET and NIVISA are required for LAN and USB connectivity.

Don't know about Win 10..........is there an inbuilt emulator for older versions ?
I'll point USA to you, they'll know.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 10:55:19 am »
Thanks tautech, USA sent me a PM yesterday and I sent them an email as requested, still haven't heard back from them.  I already searched for instructions on how to run install and run EasyPower, you'd think those would be in a readme file that downloads with EasyPower but it doesn't - I'm flying blind here.

So I downloaded and installed the NI VISA drivers (732 MBytes!) and ran EasyPower but it still failed to connect - found a NI IO Trace utility which I ran and it gave the indication that EasyPower was trying to connect (see picture).

So I searched for the .NET framework but that didn't seem to be installed so I downloaded Visiual Studio 2017 (I know I could have just done the framework), another 10 GBytes....

Ran EasyPower and it still doesn't work - I just get a 'failed to open device' message when I try to connect over the LAN (see picture).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:43:16 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
Thanks tautech, USA sent me a PM yesterday and I sent them an email as requested, still haven't heard back from them.  I'm downloading and installing the NI VISA drivers right now (732 MBytes!)
I don't think you'll hear from them till Monday now.

If USB connection is tried without the other supporting SW Windows will use a generic driver and it causes all sorts of mayhem until you point Windows to the correct one on the NIVISA package.
You should have better luck with LAN once everything that's needed is installed.

Replied to PM.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:47:05 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 02:51:45 pm »
OK, I got it all to work!

I found the CD that came with the SPD3303X-E and read the EasyPower Install Guide.pdf file on it; that document contains what look like hyperlinks but they don't work so I Googled "NI-VISA Run-Time Engine 5.4" and found this http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-run-time-engine-16.0/6188/en/ which I downloaded.  I first uninstalled the NI Suite that I had previously downloaded, rebooted, installed the 117 MByte file from the link above, rebooted, and then ran EasyPower which connected first try using LAN.

I was then able to use EasyPower to do the firmware upgrade; I had a bit of a scare in that I used Normal Mode and started to see a progress bar on the SPD3303X-E display but it got stuck at 1% and I was concerned it was broken :-BROKE

In the end I retried the upgrade (without cycling power on the SPD3303X-E) and it then told me I had to use Firmware Mode - once I switched over to Firmware Mode the update took about 30 seconds.

So, the EasyPower software does work over LAN with Windows 10, 64 Bit (with no compatibility mode set) but you need to select 'Firmware Mode' to perform the firmware update which I did using a .ads file.

Moral - RTFM!  :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
OK, I got it all to work!

Moral - RTFM!  :D
:-DD

Does USB connectivity work now too ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 08:51:28 pm »
Anyone try running the Siglent software on Linux under Wine? Might be a solution for PHS.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 11:55:04 pm »
I'll try it tomorrow

[Edit] No, USB did not work; it crashed and hung EasyPower - this failure was on a USB 3.0 port and it may work on USB 2.0 but the cable wan't long enough to reach so I gave up. 

I'll use LAN as it's faster I think.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:08:35 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »
I'll try it tomorrow

[Edit] No, USB did not work; it crashed and hung EasyPower - this failure was on a USB 3.0 port and it may work on USB 2.0 but the cable wan't long enough to reach so I gave up. 

I'll use LAN as it's faster I think.
OK.
This normally happens when a device is USB connected before all the SW is installed. Windows decides it need use some USB driver and selects a generic one and locks it in as the one for that USB device.  ::)
How Win 10 does it I'm not sure but most of the earlier versions grab a generic driver.

It can normally be sorted in Device Manager by finding the USB port used and updating the driver with the NIVISA one. The driver is most likely this critter: ausbtmc.inf found in (drive):\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\IVI USB Staging
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »
i read somewhere that the spacing between the banana plug does follow the standard in that device. Due to that, the banana to BNC adapter won't fit.
Is that correct ?

Offline mspec

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 11:36:13 pm »
I got my SPD3303X-E from tautech and have yet to have a single issue for what I use it for. Is a nice bit of kit for the price in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:41 am »
i read somewhere that the spacing between the banana plug does follow the standard in that device. Due to that, the banana to BNC adapter won't fit.
Is that correct ?

I don't have an adapter with male plug ends, but the spacing is slightly wider on all pairs of terminals of the PSU on mine, even though the spacing of the adapter matches the bench meter inputs.

Not really a problem for me, though, as I don't run power through BNCs, but I guess it could dissuade some.

I really, really like that the fan doesn't even turn on for low output... my previous PSU just went full blast with a noisy fan from power up.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 06:50:20 am »
Is that correct ?

I don't have an adapter with male plug ends, but the spacing is slightly wider on all pairs of terminals of the PSU on mine, even though the spacing of the adapter matches the bench meter inputs.

Not really a problem for me, though, as I don't run power through BNCs, but I guess it could dissuade some.

I really, really like that the fan doesn't even turn on for low output... my previous PSU just went full blast with a noisy fan from power up.
clearly a show stopper for me. Strange fail from siglent.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
Even if you can't use a 'standard' banana - BNC adapter, you can still make a lead with banana plugs on the end of a coax with a BNC on the other end.  That said, BNC is a terrible connector to feed power through IMHO.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »
The one thing I can think of that would want power over a BNC would be the DC bias input for a VNA... but as you said, it's pretty easy to just run bananas to the PSU and have the adapter to the BNC on the BNC side, not the PSU side.  I guess theoretically the shielded BNC should pick up less EMI from the environment... but anything picked up is probably going to be a smaller magnitude than the supply's ripple spec.

I'm a big fan of mini hooks for power, and you've got the option of just running a piece of wire in there too, so the slightly larger spacing is actually nice just to get your fingers around the screw terminals easily.  I'm sure there are applications where it comes up with some frequency.... but mine aren't them.

If the banana jack spacing contributed to the cheap price I got on my basically new unit...  I guess I won't complain  ???

Offline scdreger

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:46 pm »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, Amazon had a great price and I jumped (maybe they still do, not sure). Anyway it's a huge upgrade from my modified Elenco kit power supply. I really love it.

I can report that the banana plug jacks are nice and snug. They must have fixed that issue. I'm not sure about the spacing thing as I have no need to run power over BNC.

My only wish was that it had a screensaver or screen dimming function. I'm afraid after a few years it will have burn in on that very nice looking screen.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:45 pm »
i disagree. Modern linear PSU are really quiet.I tried several times to replace my doubly shielded LMR240 BNC cables with twisted pairs... big fail. I do power highly sensitive analog boards and the use of twisted cables just ruined the measurement. Never again.

The one thing I can think of that would want power over a BNC would be the DC bias input for a VNA... but as you said, it's pretty easy to just run bananas to the PSU and have the adapter to the BNC on the BNC side, not the PSU side.  I guess theoretically the shielded BNC should pick up less EMI from the environment... but anything picked up is probably going to be a smaller magnitude than the supply's ripple spec.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:29 pm »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, ..............

My only wish was that it had a screensaver or screen dimming function. I'm afraid after a few years it will have burn in on that very nice looking screen.
There was a screensaver in earlier FW but it's now been dropped in later FW versions.
AFAIK there's no problem with long term display degradation in the TFT's that Siglent use.

Do you need display dimming because it's too bright ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline scdreger

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:11 pm »
There was a screensaver in earlier FW but it's now been dropped in later FW versions.
AFAIK there's no problem with long term display degradation in the TFT's that Siglent use.

No, it's not too bright. I just wanted it for burn in protection. I was just kinda surprised because my Siglent scope and waveform gen both have screen savers where it goes black after a user-selectable amount of time. I assume to protect from burn in.

For example yesterday, I was working on something in the early afternoon and accidentally left it on for about 8 hours (outputs off, main unit on) ... it would just be a nice feature to have just incase.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »

No, it's not too bright. I just wanted it for burn in protection. I was just kinda surprised because my Siglent scope and waveform gen both have screen savers where it goes black after a user-selectable amount of time. I assume to protect from burn in.

For example yesterday, I was working on something in the early afternoon and accidentally left it on for about 8 hours (outputs off, main unit on) ... it would just be a nice feature to have just incase.
I think you worry unduly.

If there was to be any problem with TFT displays then Siglent would have not completely removed all screensaver functionality.

I remember a post by rf-loop (Finland Siglent distributor) about the TFT display but I can't find it ATM.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:05 am »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, Amazon had a great price and I jumped (maybe they still do, not sure). Anyway it's a huge upgrade from my modified Elenco kit power supply. I really love it.

I can report that the banana plug jacks are nice and snug. They must have fixed that issue. I'm not sure about the spacing thing as I have no need to run power over BNC.

If you watch Dave's video on the SPD3303X, he gets quite frustrated that the screen saver kicks in while he's using the PSU on a long test; I think that was a major reason that Siglent took it out.

I own the SPD3303X-E and I prefer it not having a screen saver by default (gone in the latest firmware) but I had assumed that it was buried somewhere in the menus and could be switched back on.  If Siglent were to add it back in, simply dimming the LED backlight might be a useful option that would save the LED from burning out prematurely.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 01:24:44 pm »

If you watch Dave's video on the SPD3303X, he gets quite frustrated that the screen saver kicks in while he's using the PSU on a long test; I think that was a major reason that Siglent took it out.

I own the SPD3303X-E and I prefer it not having a screen saver by default (gone in the latest firmware) but I had assumed that it was buried somewhere in the menus and could be switched back on.  If Siglent were to add it back in, simply dimming the LED backlight might be a useful option that would save the LED from burning out prematurely.
The problem is not the LEDs going bad but the TFT screen itself. So what is needed is a non-static picture on the screen.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 04:42:55 pm »
But TFT burn in really isn't a thing... why would it be a concern?  A power supply readout would, in a lot of ways, be an ideal candidate to demonstrate burn in.... but I don't think normal LCD technology is very susceptible to it at all.  If it were a plasma screen or a CRT, sure, but an LCD is going to take what, thousands of hours to get any burn in?  And even then the burned in parts will be the static parts of the UI which will be harder to notice because they'll still be displayed there.

Though it's a different technology LCD screen, my RF generator has been on for 33,600 hours (almost entirely before I got it) and shows no signs of burn in, even though there is really only one menu shape that is displayed at all times.  My previous RF generator was the same way - tens of thousands of hours on and no burn in you could see when on or off.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:52 am »
The problem is not the LEDs going bad but the TFT screen itself. So what is needed is a non-static picture on the screen.
You are correct that LCDs can suffer from persistence with a fixed display so a screen saver would help avoid that.  However, back lights are now done with LEDs - typical life is 50,000 hours - that are running at high brightness, lower drive levels can extend their life.  An LED back light burning out would be a bigger issue than a bit of persistence IMHO (I had an LCD/LED TV that the back light went bad on).

So, both are problems that could be addresses by an option to dim the back light and/or move the display around.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »
Here's something I just noticed, running the 1.01.01.02.01R3 firmware, my SPD3303X-E turned off the display after some time being inactive (maybe 20 minutes).  Not sure if this is configurable, but it looks like burn in definitely isn't an issue if it's doing that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf