Author Topic: Re: FeelElec New Arrival FY-6900 Signal Generator  (Read 154982 times)

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
Re: FeelElec New Arrival FY-6900 Signal Generator
« Reply #500 on: November 18, 2020, 10:23:15 pm »
Just out of curiosity could you run the same tests on the UNI-T UTG962 60Mhz . just a passing thought if you have the time .
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #501 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:31 am »
Just out of curiosity could you run the same tests on the UNI-T UTG962 60Mhz . just a passing thought if you have the time .

Of course. Just give one to me.
 :-DD
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #502 on: December 14, 2020, 10:33:56 pm »
In order:
1.000.000,000 hz
(Attachment Link)
1.000.000,001 hz
(Attachment Link)
10.000,000 hz
(Attachment Link)
10.000,001 hz
(Attachment Link)
100,000 hz
(Attachment Link)
100,001 hz
(Attachment Link)

Persistance is set to infinite, almost 30secs.
As this is a 200Msps device, any multiple of 5ns must be almost free of jitter. If i select 0.001hz more than the multiple, the fun begins.
But... why at 100hz i get a so bad result?
Note at 1.000.000,001 hz seem that what's changing is only the rise time. I not know how is possible.
Little correction. I've bought a siglent 1104x-e, and with this the measurement at 100hz have around 7/8ns of jitter (infinite persistance over near 2 min). Well lower than the 30ns measured by the owon. Almost same jitter at 100.001hz, while with the owon was all over the places. Not optimal, but less worse than what the owon was showing.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #503 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:09 pm »
Little correction. I've bought a siglent 1104x-e, and with this the measurement at 100hz have around 7/8ns of jitter (infinite persistance over near 2 min). Well lower than the 30ns measured by the owon. Almost same jitter at 100.001hz, while with the owon was all over the places. Not optimal, but less worse than what the owon was showing.

could you please explain exact condition when you see the jitter.
Do you use 10 ms trigger delay? Can you see it with no trigger delay?

Oscilloscope oscillator also has a jitter, so if you use long trigger delay the source of jitter is unknown, because it may be related to oscilloscope jitter. Isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:57:35 pm by radiolistener »

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #504 on: December 16, 2020, 10:06:01 am »

Oscilloscope oscillator also has a jitter, so if you use long trigger delay the source of jitter is unknown, because it may be related to oscilloscope jitter. Isn't it?

I see the jitter using 100hz frequency, delay 10ms, trigger auto (but also normal), ac coupling, 5vpp signal, square wave dc 50%, trigger voltage 0v (played also with other trigger setting without doing any better). With the owon the jitter was really bad, obviously the time reference of that scope was not so good as the siglent one. I will try other 100hz signal sources for exclude that the jitter came from the scope (but now with a "decent one" i doubt it)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: December 16, 2020, 11:45:00 am »

I see the jitter using 100hz frequency, delay 10ms, trigger auto (but also normal), ac coupling, 5vpp signal, square wave dc 50%, trigger voltage 0v (played also with other trigger setting without doing any better). With the owon the jitter was really bad, obviously the time reference of that scope was not so good as the siglent one. I will try other 100hz signal sources for exclude that the jitter came from the scope (but now with a "decent one" i doubt it)

For this purpose (check oscilloscope own jitter) you do not need 100Hz signal. What ever signal what itself have very low jitter is ok for this purpose. Example good quality 10MHz high quality oscillator. Frequency itself is not at all important here. If you find good 1 - 50MHz OCXO it is well enough after it is stabilized. Of course for this purpose is better if it have rectangle output instead of sine so it eliminate bit more possible signal noise produced trig jitter. Trig jitter itself in SDS1kX-E is specified under 100ps. But time jitter over 10ms is not directly specified and I do not have here available my older tests where I have measured these models time jitter using highly more than enough stable signal. Of course oscilloscopes are also individuals. Every single reference oscillator is bit different.  Jitter is not big but better I do not say numbers because I can remember wrong.
Totally other thing is accuracy and long term ageing drift and these can read in specs as max limits and then temperature drift.

But one I can say. This thread topic generator FY6900 internal reference is totally crap shit. And yes, I KNOW it, I have two for teardown and look.  This kind of generator can use only for playing fun as it is also overall utterly useless piece of shit, but again, can use for playing fun. In this generator all is wrong except price... oh well also it is high if look its quality. One car garage floor assembled and soldered dirty PCB card and shit PSU in pastic box without any kind olf EMI rejection and what is like kids designed and if look safety rules it can not even legally import to EU area. All connectors also most crap shit what ever can find any place.
Example DS811 modded to DS992 price is bit over FY6900 but designed and manufactured professionally.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:47:18 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #506 on: December 16, 2020, 11:54:54 am »
Sorry, but i'm not sure that the frequency isn't important. On the owon the measured jitter at 1mhz was not observable, while at 100hz was really worse than what the 1104x-e is measuring. I suppose that if the scope run always at 1ghz sampling rate, at 100hz there are more probability to observe jitter as we are measuring a lot more samples than at higher frequencies.

Yes, it's quite crap... But the rigol (one that i was also considering) costs almost 1.5times this unit (100e vs 250e). Only for doing some waveforms without RF work, can be useful... Now i've attached it also to the blode plot of the siglent...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:14:25 pm by masterx81 »

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #507 on: December 30, 2020, 12:17:32 am »
The first solution was to have a PC act as a function generator simulating a Siglent function generator then translating those commands to an FY function generator through a serial port. The second version used a precursor to the ESP 32 the ESP8266 to act as a Siglent function generator on a LAN using Wi-Fi. I took the Wi-Fi code and modified it to use esp32 and added support for using DB units.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-bode-plot-with-non-siglent-awg/

I have read through the above thread several times but it was unclear to me what you need to do to get the ESP32 to work and loaded.
Can you point me to some more detailed "how-to" instructions?

Thanks

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2020, 01:07:36 am »

By "cash strapped hobbyist", I mean someone with at least the basic skills to wire a 4.7K resistor between the PE tag of the C14 socket and a convenient connection point on the ground rail of the main board, along with the ability to at least undo the vandalism to the ground return wire in the 6 wire ribbon cable between the PSU and main circuit board and fit a 40mm square 12v fan into the unpopulated fan aperture in the rear panel and connect it to the 5v rail to quietly reduce the internal temperature to less insanely high levels. >:D

There, I've just pointed out the three cheapest and highest priority (most essential) modifications that any "cash strapped hobbyist" should do to protect their modest investment. ::) There's no need to thank me for this sage advice (a simple click on the "Say thanks" button will more than suffice if you insist). >:D

JBG

Are there two separate "mods" to the grounding?
Several posts and videos I have seen, seem to suggest just a single (combined) mod of replacing the existing thin ribbon cable wire between C14 PE and the connector on the power supply board with a 1-10K resistor in series with a heavier gauge wire.

Are you instead suggesting two separate grounding wires to the C14 PE -- one new wire run with a series resistor going to the main board ground and the other a heavier gauge wire (without a resistor) replacing the old ribbon wire to the PS connector?

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2020, 01:21:34 am »
On my photo you will see i put a 10pf cap on the opamp output after the filter .
This is to correct the contact capacity of the relay . which makes the square wave much sharper . but it does not cure the jitter/ghost .

On my 6900, the square wave starts degrading into a distorted sinusoidal-like wave above about 12MHz.
Does just adding a simple 10pf cap solve much of the problem and preserve a good sine wave up until the claimed 25MHz per the specs?
Can I do just this change without any of the other more complicated mods that you and others have talked about?

If so, where do I put the cap?
Also, can I use a garden variety chinese ceramic or do I need a special/high quality one?

Thanks

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #510 on: December 30, 2020, 01:33:12 am »
Hi Thanks for all of the info,
I have fitted the new TCXO and did cut the track between pins 1 and 4 ,and used a r/divider using a 47kohm coming from the 3.3v to a 500ohm pot to the pin 1 voltage control pin of the tcxo, and now I can set it to 10.000000 and it is very stable without software frq offset adjustment (I just need to get a 10 turn pot)
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

IMHO, that's the only sensible method to calibrating the AWG. The secret software calibration option is for the "Rubes" who wouldn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other. >:D Not only will you know exactly how you stand with regard to those "Magical Frequencies" in these Feeltech AWG models, you've also left yourself a simple way to lock that TCXO to an external 10MHz frequency reference using a PLL circuit that allows a glitch free way to make an automatic changeover from internal to external clock sources and back again with no need for a gross mechanical switch alongside of the external reference input socket. >:D

So does using the "hidden service mode" permanently delete/break the "Magical Frequencies" patch or is it undoable?
I would like to play with the software calibration (even if it makes me a Rube) but not at the expense of permanently breaking the stock software.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: December 30, 2020, 01:34:44 am »
On my 6900, the square wave starts degrading into a distorted sinusoidal-like wave above about 12MHz.

Most of all, this is not 6900 degrade, but your oscilloscope bandwidth limitation or inproper connection (you're needs to use 50 Ohm coax cable with terminator for square wave testing)

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #512 on: December 30, 2020, 01:46:17 am »

Most of all, this is not 6900 degrade, but your oscilloscope bandwidth limitation or inproper connection (you're needs to use 50 Ohm coax cable with terminator for square wave testing)

I am using a Siglent 1104X-E modeed to 200MHz.
I am using the direct male-to-male coax connector supplied with the FY6900 to connect the signal generator to my scope. Do I need to use a different compensated cable instead? If so, what type of cable should I purchase?
Thanks

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #513 on: December 30, 2020, 02:43:44 am »
He (radiolistener) is saying, the cable needs to be terminated in 50 Ohms at the scope.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: December 30, 2020, 03:00:31 am »

200 MHz is too small to see nice square wave above 10 MHz. If you want to see good 20-50 MHz square wave, you're needs at least 300-500 MHz bandwidth oscilloscope. You're reach limit of your scope bandwidth when you put square wave above 10 MHz, and this is why it turns into sine...

Do I need to use a different compensated cable instead?

you're needs to use 50 Ohm terminator at the scope input side in order to get proper cable match.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: December 30, 2020, 06:31:02 am »

200 MHz is too small to see nice square wave above 10 MHz. If you want to see good 20-50 MHz square wave, you're needs at least 300-500 MHz bandwidth oscilloscope. You're reach limit of your scope bandwidth when you put square wave above 10 MHz, and this is why it turns into sine...

From FY6900 do not come out this nice square. SDS1204X-E is well enough for look and characterize FY6900 output square.

Define "nice" square what you are talking. Do you mean these square waves what exist only in students book images.
Square wave risetime is this key factor. If there is not more than 5ns risetime available SDS1204X-E is well enough even measure this risetime with medium accuracy. Group risetime can calculate SQR((trise1^2) + (trise2^2))  then you can compare it to original trise1. If original was 5ns it may give 6% error in risetime.

But if we think what really looks like square on screen and we are looking only whole one period on screen then example 10MHz square is well ok if we have 200MHz scope, 20 times 1st harmonic.

Now if we go with FY6900 to higher levels than up to 5Vpp displayed value what is 2,5V in 50 ohm line. With over 5Vpp in 50ohm line its risetime is roughly 12ns, because FY6900 end amplifier is in totally crap junk class. And with  10Vpp over 50ohm load even rest of "flat" tops disappear, what ever scope you take and look. Because this end stage just can not do it at all. User can adjust it up to 24Vpp... with 50ohm load  it means 12Vpp ... no need to tell but just "game over" totally.
ETA: Up to 5Vpp FY display value, 2,5Vpp to 50ohm load, situation is different and risetime is specified 7ns or less in data sheet. And in my tests this is less. Something like 5ns +/-<1ns. Even with this, SDS1204X-E is well enough.

It do not matter if you look this signal with 100MHz scope ot 1GHz scope. Even 50MHz scope do not lie so much when risetime is 12ns. Because its own risetime is nominally 7ns. 12ns+7ns group risetime is 13,9ns.  So if you look it with 50MHz scope you see 14ns risetime and if you look it with 1GHz scope you are very close 12ns now think how much it affect in visual image if you have whole period on screen and you change from 50MHz BW to 1GHz BW...
Just for simplest basics...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:59:30 am by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom, Johnny B Good, Labrat101

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #516 on: December 30, 2020, 04:24:34 pm »
It just had to be stated. Thank you very much for stepping into the breach on this one, rf-loop.  :)

John
John

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, Labrat101

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #517 on: December 30, 2020, 05:44:11 pm »
It just had to be stated. Thank you very much for stepping into the breach on this one, rf-loop.  :)

John
But will they listen! . And learn . some how I dough it . 
   Beautify said  rf-loop   :-+
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:46:13 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline timkoers

• Contributor
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2021, 09:49:42 am »

By "cash strapped hobbyist", I mean someone with at least the basic skills to wire a 4.7K resistor between the PE tag of the C14 socket and a convenient connection point on the ground rail of the main board, along with the ability to at least undo the vandalism to the ground return wire in the 6 wire ribbon cable between the PSU and main circuit board and fit a 40mm square 12v fan into the unpopulated fan aperture in the rear panel and connect it to the 5v rail to quietly reduce the internal temperature to less insanely high levels. >:D

There, I've just pointed out the three cheapest and highest priority (most essential) modifications that any "cash strapped hobbyist" should do to protect their modest investment. ::) There's no need to thank me for this sage advice (a simple click on the "Say thanks" button will more than suffice if you insist). >:D

JBG

Are there two separate "mods" to the grounding?
Several posts and videos I have seen, seem to suggest just a single (combined) mod of replacing the existing thin ribbon cable wire between C14 PE and the connector on the power supply board with a 1-10K resistor in series with a heavier gauge wire.

Are you instead suggesting two separate grounding wires to the C14 PE -- one new wire run with a series resistor going to the main board ground and the other a heavier gauge wire (without a resistor) replacing the old ribbon wire to the PS connector?

I think I read a solution with a diode or something. Can't remember where though

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: February 04, 2021, 12:05:31 pm »
There are 3 reasons for grounding:
1) for safety, as done in idolation class 1 devices. Here it need a low impedance link to PE
2) for charge build up or higher stray votlages. Here a high resistance like to ground is sufficient and sometimes wanted or even requited as with the anti  ESD bands.
3) for EMI reasons, so for the high frequency range. Here a capacitor is sufficient and if there is no PE one can use N and L to equal parts for the  EMI cap (usually class Y) found with SMPS. These caps to L and N are were the stray voltage problems come from.

Some instruments have a slightly odd combination with a resistor and 2 anti parallel beefy diodes (e.g. P600 or 1N540x) in parallel to get a reasonable low impedance link to ground to help with safety and not too strict a PE link, so they don't get much ground loop problems.  In most aspsects it helps with safety, but it may not strictly meet the standards so the idolation in the instrument should be OK also without a safety-ground. It is kind of a compromise getting the instrument essentially grounded but still keep possible ground loop currents (ususally small votlage) small.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #520 on: February 05, 2021, 04:54:52 am »
There are 3 reasons for grounding:
1) for safety, as done in idolation class 1 devices. Here it need a low impedance link to PE
2) for charge build up or higher stray votlages. Here a high resistance like to ground is sufficient and sometimes wanted or even requited as with the anti  ESD bands.
3) for EMI reasons, so for the high frequency range. Here a capacitor is sufficient and if there is no PE one can use N and L to equal parts for the  EMI cap (usually class Y) found with SMPS. These caps to L and N are were the stray voltage problems come from.

Some instruments have a slightly odd combination with a resistor and 2 anti parallel beefy diodes (e.g. P600 or 1N540x) in parallel to get a reasonable low impedance link to ground to help with safety and not too strict a PE link, so they don't get much ground loop problems.  In most aspsects it helps with safety, but it may not strictly meet the standards so the idolation in the instrument should be OK also without a safety-ground. It is kind of a compromise getting the instrument essentially grounded but still keep possible ground loop currents (ususally small votlage) small.

Case #1 is typical of earthing exposed metalwork in domestic white goods, dishwashers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and such like. Even so, should a full live to chassis framing fault occur, there's still likely to be as much as a 60% mains live voltage transient lasting several hundred microseconds before the safety fuse/circuit breaker/ELCB/GFCI protection is blown/or tripped.

Should someone happen to have the misfortune to be supporting themselves with one hand on a stainless steel sink whilst handling a dishwasher or washing machine at the time with their free hand, the worse they'll experience will be a briefly painful but non-lethal jolt which is a quite acceptable risk, considering the already low risk of such a framing fault occurring in the first place, let alone the several orders of magnitude reduction in the odds of it happening in such a circumstance. Simply the fact that the resulting brief 'jolt' in itself is virtually non-fatal is what makes the risk of such transient voltage spike events acceptable from a safety issue point of view.

Case #2 is an important guard against static voltage build up in system wiring that is intended to be unearthed and completely floating free of any ground contact (as far as the effective circuit operation is concerned). If no provision is made to limit static build up using a high value resistance leakage path to ground, there is the risk of damage to insulation via ESD which could trigger an arcing event of mains live (or other high voltage supply) to ground.

With small 10W rated class II smpsus (2.1A USB wallwarts, phone chargers and the smpsu boards used in the Feeltech AWGs, the main problem is the half live mains voltage that appears on the zero volt leg of the DC voltage outputs via the 1.6M ohm reactance of the 1nF Y cap used to shunt the interwinding capacitive coupling of the HV switching transients back to its source to reduce the amount of this common mode EMI that takes the scenic route via the safety earth loop wiring further adding to the HF switching pollution that now routinely plagues most domestic electrical wiring today.

In the case of the FY6600, a neat solution to eliminating the half live mains voltage ESD risk present on the BNC shield connections is simply to upgrade the figure of 8 C8 mains inlet socket with either a C6 or C14 3 pole socket to provide access to the safety ground by which to strap the BNC grounds via a 1 to 10K resistor to a trustworthy grounding point.

Even on a 240vac supply, a 10k resistor is sufficient to attenuate the Ycap leakage voltage down to less than 3vac, rendering it harmless to even the most static sensitive of DUTs whilst neatly providing a broadband attenuation of mains earth noise from DC to tens of MHz getting into the DUT or circuit under test. The very last thing anyone needs in this case is the introduction of a low impedance earth loop connection that had previously never existed to begin with, yet that is exactly the sin committed by Feeltech in addressing their customers' concerns over the half live ESD risk present in the FY6600 and previous AWG models with their rather hazardously bodged 'Final Solution' :rant:.

Case #3 in the light of case #2, can be a definite no-no unless the device is entirely self contained in its own metal enclosure. The last thing you want to do is use a capacitor to "ground" out any HF interference since the typical safety earth connection is not so much an RF ground as an RF antenna which not only radiates such 'HF ground currents' but also picks up HF noise injected by other SMPSU powered devices and all the transients generated by appliance on/off switches, including thermostats and light switches, to name but two examples, into the mains earth wiring which is coupled quite tightly at HF to the Live and Neutral wires.

In the case of an AWG designed to output arbitrary waveforms from DC up to several MHz, using a classic PC styled SMPSU to generate intermediate level DC voltages, you face the complication of having to use DC-DC converters with fully isolated outputs to allow the AWG to generate fully floating output waveforms free of earth loop issues other than for a 10K 'static drain' connection to the safety earth.

You can use a filtered C14 socket with a class II smpsu as long as you only connect the PE tag to the zero volt rail via a 1 to 10K 'static drain resistor'. The problems of unwanted ground loops occur, regardless of a Faraday enclosure or not when the BNC shield connections are hard wired to this PE connection.

The two antiparallel connected heavy duty rectifier diodes connected in series with the safety earth 'trick' is one I used myself over four decades ago with a Thorens Turntable into which I'd added a phono preamp to eliminate the sheer and utter folly of trying to send millivolt level signals from a magnetic cartridge direct to the amplifier over several feet of a phono coax link.

I'd fitted this as a 'backstop' safety measure to make using the classic "Eliminate the earth loop issue by only using the phono cable shields to ground the turntable" solution that was the common practice at that time to make this practice just little more palatable from a safety point of view.

Of course, these days one can add an A/D and opto-isolator to the turntable pre-amp and another opto-isolator with D/A at the amplifier by way of an upgrade to an existing 70s vintage vinyl Hi-Fi setup. I daresay you can buy a ready made phono pre-amp with optical out to connect your turntable directly to a more modern Hi-Fi amplifier to make the whole business of earth loop avoidance moot.

Anyone looking to this rectifier diode "Earth Loop Breaker" technique would likely best be served with a low voltage 50A rated bridge rectifier (+ & - terminals strapped together with the ~ terminals connected in series with the earth connection) and a 1K resistor in parallel to stop the diode bridge conducting during voltage peaks induced by stray leakage currents in order to avoid injecting unwanted HF harmonics into the mains wiring via the earth wire through the resulting diode clipping effect.

Whilst it's possible to generate KA transient fault currents via a live to earth fault in a 13A ring main socked just a few feet away from the consumer unit (30A fuse or 32A circuit breaker or ELCB), it's unlikely to exceed 3 or 4 hundred amps in the case of a live to ground fault within the equipment itself so a 50A bridge rectifier should be good for a 500A 20ms surge which should take out even a 13A fuse swiftly enough to 'save the day' without the drama of conflagration.

However, you'd be well advised to install a separate 13A fused feed to a dedicated  (set of) 13A socket(s) (UK case) and test this using a DSO in one shot mode to measure the actual surge current peak (current probe or a 0.1 ohm shunt) rather than just take my word for the safety of using a 50A rated low voltage bridge rectifier in this fashion, trusting only to the reliability of the manufacturer's data sheet specifications.  >:D

John
John

Offline thomastheo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2021, 09:30:30 pm »
Does anyone here know the type/model of the LCD screen in these fy6900 units by any chance? I replaced the stm32 controller and the flash chip in order to upgrade the firmware on my old unit, but I was worried about reworking the board with the LCD still attached, so i removed it. In the process the flat flex tore 'a little'. Now, I managed to get it running again with some headache-inducing microsoldering, but it would be nice to have a backup in case it fails. I don't quite fancy ever doing that again :D

Offline ms963

« Reply #522 on: February 24, 2021, 01:35:25 pm »
I'm a bit late to this party but I just wanted a cheap and cheerful function generator and this one has exceeded my expectations.

I ordered the FY6900-60M from Banggood a couple of weeks ago and received it after a week to UK. Naturally the first thing I did was to check it actually works before opening it up and checking the wiring.

Sadly the 0v/Earth connection is still a poor piece of ribbon cable directly soldered to the IEC inlet. Rather better are the insulated connectors on the L and N.

But...here's the kicker. It has a V2.1 main board and only requires +5v from the same old power supply as fitted to the others. This lends itself to much easier PSU arrangements should you wish. I'll change the earth lead for a resistor and proper rated wire when my fan turns up.

What's more, it will power from the USB socket. Now I'm not sure which takes precedence if it's plugged in but suddenly it's a lot more portable. I've got to say I'm impressed. Firmware version is 1.4.1 1180970-0

The following users thanked this post: PinheadBE, Johnny B Good

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2021, 02:50:42 pm »
I have a FY6900 20Mhz, I need to be able to create waveforms, the feeltech software seems very basic to draw, is there any other compatible? For the $ 66 that I pay, I am quite satisfied, since mine is a hobby

Offline Roman oh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #524 on: April 22, 2021, 01:10:27 pm »
Like ms63, I recently received one from Banggood, and opened it up. V2.1 mainboard requiring only 5V, but the board still has the provision for the 6 pin power connector. I can’t see what they use to generate +/-14.5V to power the 3002s in the high level output stage- all the chips I can identify appear to be “buck” devices, and I ran out of patience (and eyesight) trying to trace the circuit. I may go back to this some time, but more urgent things beckon

The Cyclone IV chip markings appear to be permanent- the part number is a low-end variant that Mouser has listed (actually a slightly higher spec variant) in Australia for around $US15 single quantities, so the $ imperative for fakes that has been discussed in previous posts appears to be a lot less. After all, if you’re using fakes, why bother marking them at all - the DAC chips have no markings, after all.

The hv output stage in each channel is two parts of a 3002 in parallel.

The output attenuator is still, of course, the 83ohm structure.

One concerning aspect of the switch to 5V only is that the +/-12V outputs of the power supply are unloaded, and were sitting in mine at +19.5 and -21V which is way beyond the healthy limit for the 16VW electros that are sitting there. I (strongly) suggest that anyone who has one of these would be wise to do something about this, to avoid potential nastiness. In my case, I hooked a small 12V fan (through a speed-reducing resistor) to the +12 (dropped it to 13.4) and removed the -12v components entirely.

FWIW I measured the 10MHz oscillator in mine as around 16ppm low. I’m not too fussed about this for my application, but may do something later.

The following users thanked this post: PinheadBE, Johnny B Good

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf