Author Topic: SATA Power Connector Wires Location  (Read 2428 times)

Offline DW1961Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
SATA Power Connector Wires Location
« on: August 26, 2021, 04:53:36 am »
I have an SATA power cable that has all black wires - no colors. It's just one of those extensions.

Coming from the L pin key side, which are 12V and which are 5V + and -?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:42:28 am by DW1961 »

Offline LateLesley

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SATA Power Connector Pin Out
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 05:37:15 am »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SATA Power Connector Wires Location
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 05:42:02 am »
Ah, really didn't mean pin out. I need to power wire diagram. Changed in Subject and description.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 06:40:01 am »
Then use the pinout diagram and a multimeter.
With 545 posts on this forum you have one of those, hopefully? >:D

Realistically, the order of wires is likely the same as that of the pins.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 06:42:34 am by magic »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 09:07:43 pm »
What LateLesley wrote.

If the power connector is of the standard thin type, with thick wires, there is no room to rearrange them.  From pin 1 (the hook side), the wires are 3.3V (orange), GND (black), 5V (red), GND (black), 12V (yellow).  The colors in parentheses are the typical colors used by most manufacturers, but not guaranteed by any standard as far as I know (and OP mentioned theirs have all black).  There are 15 pins, and each wire is connected to three consecutive pins in typical power connectors.  If you have more than five wires, then you have one of the cables that supports staggered spin-up and/or pre-charge.

And like magic wrote, do use a multimeter to check the cable.  I did once burn up the logic board on an IDE HDD by using a 4-pin Molex power Y-splitter which accidentally had the 12V and 5V swapped.  So check; do not assume.

The following users thanked this post: DW1961

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 09:12:19 pm »
And just don't connect the 3.3v wire, no hard drive or SSD uses it.
In one of the latest standards one of the 3.3v is repurposed for PWDIS as the pinout page linked above says. Giving 3.3v on that pin would prevent mechanical drives from spinning.

The following users thanked this post: DW1961

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 05:00:16 pm »
What LateLesley wrote.

If the power connector is of the standard thin type, with thick wires, there is no room to rearrange them.  From pin 1 (the hook side), the wires are 3.3V (orange), GND (black), 5V (red), GND (black), 12V (yellow).  The colors in parentheses are the typical colors used by most manufacturers, but not guaranteed by any standard as far as I know (and OP mentioned theirs have all black).  There are 15 pins, and each wire is connected to three consecutive pins in typical power connectors.  If you have more than five wires, then you have one of the cables that supports staggered spin-up and/or pre-charge.

And like magic wrote, do use a multimeter to check the cable.  I did once burn up the logic board on an IDE HDD by using a 4-pin Molex power Y-splitter which accidentally had the 12V and 5V swapped.  So check; do not assume.

The SATA plug I cannibalized just had all black wires. Thanks for the explanation. I also just figured it out looking at diagrams and counting over, then testing it with my DMM. Thanks.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 12:03:03 am »
And just don't connect the 3.3v wire, no hard drive or SSD uses it.
In one of the latest standards one of the 3.3v is repurposed for PWDIS as the pinout page linked above says. Giving 3.3v on that pin would prevent mechanical drives from spinning.
I have seen an oddball 2.5" drive that did use the 3.3V.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 05:17:13 am »
There are some odd laptop drives that will run from the 3.3V rail, but it is indeed rare.

Also if its a laptop drive then it typically doesn't need 12V either, so all you need is the 5V rail. Also pretty much all SSDs don't need 12V

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf