Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1326985 times)

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
Re: Review of Owon SDS7102
« Reply #800 on: October 05, 2012, 03:35:18 am »

Measuring voltages is kind of odd in that the 5V test signal registers as 5.040V to 5.120V.  Not sure whats going on but I need a second scope to confirm the readings.

It happened the same on my SDS7102. If u move the  wave down and decrease the V/div so the wave is 'bigger' gives more accurate reading ( I guess it has to do with the fact that it has a 8 bit ADC).

Cheers!

Thanks, that is probably the reason.
So far I am very happy with my 8202 it is working great, I have run it through lots of tests and so far I have found no issues with it.  I think for it's price class it's one of the best 200 MHz scopes on the market.
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

Offline zdp_84

« Reply #801 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »
Hello!
Did anybody try new SW 2.8.1 for SDS7102? What difference from previous versions?

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #802 on: November 01, 2012, 04:20:40 pm »
I just installed it and I've noticed a few things:

First, the autoset and autoscale buttons now actually seem useful to me. The scope seems to autoscal and autoset much faster. So far I couldn't make it freeze yet, but on the other hand, I haven't done any extensive testing of the issue yet.

I also noticed that in some cases where the scope would previously draw output very slowly, it now works a bit faster. For example is I touch a probe tip when the scope is set to 1 V, 10 ms, 50 MS/s, it would take longer to show the signal on screen than it takes now when the scope is in auto trigger mode.

Next, I've noticed that when you go to measure->add->show all, the window with measurements won't disappear until the menu off button is pressed. Previously, it would quickly disappear making it difficult for me to read all the meausrements.

I've also noticed some changes in the help. It now mentiones the SDS5032E (which seems to be the 30 MHz version with some minor external changes), which wasn't there before and it also mentiones the VGA connector. I have the version without VGA and I think, but am not 100% sure, that previously VGA wasn't mentioned in the on screen help.

The "changelog", if you could call those 3 lines that, also tells us that the autoscale bug has been fixed (which is probably related to the autoscale improvement I've noticed) and that there's now a "current measurement function" and "remote control function". I couldn't find them yet in the menu on the scope, so I don't know how they work or what they do.

UPDATE: Well right after mentioning how the autoscale almost seems to be useful, I noticed a bug: If I set the autoscale on and allow it to touch vertical controls, it will go into a loop where it switches from 1 V/div to 2 V/div and back if it's connected to a 3.3 V source. Can anyone reproduce that?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:39:43 pm by AndrejaKo »

Offline zdp_84

« Reply #803 on: November 01, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »
I just installed it and I've noticed a few things:

First, the autoset and autoscale buttons now actually seem useful to me. The scope seems to autoscal and autoset much faster. So far I couldn't make it freeze yet, but on the other hand, I haven't done any extensive testing of the issue yet.

I also noticed that in some cases where the scope would previously draw output very slowly, it now works a bit faster. For example is I touch a probe tip when the scope is set to 1 V, 10 ms, 50 MS/s, it would take longer to show the signal on screen than it takes now when the scope is in auto trigger mode.

Next, I've noticed that when you go to measure->add->show all, the window with measurements won't disappear until the menu off button is pressed. Previously, it would quickly disappear making it difficult for me to read all the meausrements.

I've also noticed some changes in the help. It now mentiones the SDS5032E (which seems to be the 30 MHz version with some minor external changes), which wasn't there before and it also mentiones the VGA connector. I have the version without VGA and I think, but am not 100% sure, that previously VGA wasn't mentioned in the on screen help.

The "changelog", if you could call those 3 lines that, also tells us that the autoscale bug has been fixed (which is probably related to the autoscale improvement I've noticed) and that there's now a "current measurement function" and "remote control function". I couldn't find them yet in the menu on the scope, so I don't know how they work or what they do.

UPDATE: Well right after mentioning how the autoscale almost seems to be useful, I noticed a bug: If I set the autoscale on and allowed to touch vertical controls, it will go into a loop where it switches from 1 V/div to 2 V/div and back if it's connected to a 3.3 V source. Can anyone reproduce that?

Thank you!
It is very detailed answer. Unfortunately I can't test this update, because I have a SDS7102115xxx and 2.5.1 version of firmware.

Offline EU1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #804 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »
SDS7102 V2.8.1 upgrade detail :
1. Add "current measurement" function;
2. Add "remote control" function;
3. Fix autoscale BUG
Can anybody explain what the "remote control" means in this context?

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #805 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:50 pm »
That's actually a good question. I'd expect that the main problem is the briefness of the change log. We can't pick up the context because there isn't any clearly provided.  The scope on-board help doesn't seem to mention anything. My guess is that this will somehow work with PC software in a future version, but again that is just speculation.

Anyway, I managed to find the current measurement description. In the channel one and two help menu item after description of 1x/10X/100X/1000X probes.

The procedure is to go to channel menu and under probe submenu (H3 button) enable current measurement (F2) and using the multipurpose knob and F3 option select the conductance/resistance of the resistor. The lowest conductance that can be selected is 100 mS and highest is 1 KS. Since there's no coarse adjust knob, it's a bit hard to adjust the conductance/resistance and I don't like the range. For me 100 mS is a bit too high for lowest possible conductance and I feel that 1 KS is way to huge for a scope like this one.

Offline tjille

Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #806 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »
I have a problem to get readings in the Oscilloscope software when using LAN connection after the update. It's possible to get an image copy, so the connection is working. Anyone else having this problem?

Offline tjille

« Reply #807 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »
The LAN problem is solved... Don't install the new pc software before you uninstalled the old one. If you miss that you have to uninstall and install a couple of times and also delete all remaining files and folders before you are done. But after that it's no problem at all.

Offline tjille

« Reply #808 on: November 03, 2012, 09:13:47 am »
Regarding the new function "Remote controle" there is a new part in the PC SW (2.0.8.11) where you can controle the oscilloscope remotely from your PC. Supports both USB and LAN. Neat.

Offline voidptr

• Contributor
« Reply #809 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:22 pm »
SDS7102 V2.8.1 upgrade detail :
1. Add "current measurement" function;
2. Add "remote control" function;
3. Fix autoscale BUG
Can anybody explain what the "remote control" means in this context?

Current measurement scale conversion seems fun, i just had a  fast look, but i will make few tries with 1 ohm or so soon.

Remote control work fine, i didn't find a way to synchronize the software with the current settings of the scope itself, that should have been very useful. (ex.  probe 1x on software, but 10x on the scope)...
Is the protocol between both available somewhere ?

AutoScale bug  don't know i never use autoscale ... 
:-)

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #810 on: November 06, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »
Has anyone tried v2.8.1.6 (red boxed in the picture) for older SDS7102? It did not mention any details as for the v2.8.1 update for the newer ones.

Edit: I just installed it. I think all 3 improvements (measure current, remote, autoscale fix) are there, though I did not really test them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:29:08 pm by onlooker »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #811 on: November 06, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »
Has Owon drivers for Win 7 64 bit?

Offline EU1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #812 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:11 am »
Has anyone tried v2.8.1.6 (red boxed in the picture) for older SDS7102? It did not mention any details as for the v2.8.1 update for the newer ones.

Edit: I just installed it. I think all 3 improvements (measure current, remote, autoscale fix) are there, though I did not really test them.
I've intalled the update on 1209xxx just it was released. New features are present.
But the remote control feature implementation is very poor.

Has Owon drivers for Win 7 64 bit?
Yes.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado

Offline zdp_84

« Reply #814 on: November 07, 2012, 12:53:54 pm »

I've intalled the update on 1209xxx just it was released. New features are present.
But the remote control feature implementation is very poor.

I installed this SW. My SDS is 7102115xxx. All functions are working.

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #815 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:26 am »
Well one thing I've noticed about remote control is that it seems to have bugs related to the probe attenuation. It basically always considers the attenuation to be 1X when voltage scale is being set. If I use the software to set the probe to 10X and then set the scale to 1 V, the scope will change to 10 V scale instead.

Also software version 2.0.8.11 is needed for the remote control. Back when the firmware upgrade was released, the newest version was still 2.0.8.8, so for a while the remote control function couldn't be used.

Offline Robyrob

« Reply #816 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:55 am »
About remote control: when I open it’s window it is not update with the oscilloscope data.
The state of the SDS7102 is not read to computer, the values are right just if I change a parameter.
Is the same for you?

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #817 on: November 20, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »
Hi,

You might look around on the net. I saw some references to firmware updates for this scope. It appears that it may fix some of the screen update an jitter issues. I don't have any personal experience with the update yet.

Sam
W3OHM

Offline candrian

• Contributor
« Reply #818 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:06 am »
Hello, i have also made another post in a new thread but i thought that it would be better if i post it here where more people are watching.

To start with i own OWON SDS7102 and i have a problem with displaying the signal inputs.

It looks like an unadjustable offset has been added at both channels moving the waveforms at a very low point so that you can't see them on the display. Instead you see a DC line at the bottom of the screen like your input is out of the lowest range. I have tried adjusting the vertical position at the full top value with no result. I also tried all the Volts/Div but again no results.

With the following configuration: Menu Probe X1, Actual Probe switch to X1 as well as Volts/Div less than 200mV (the limit of first relay click heard) and the probe connected on the Probe Comp (5V Pulse) i can see a part of the waveform (i believe it's the top side of the waveform). If i move the Volts/Div to 200mV or more the waveform disappears and a straight line can be observed at the bottom of the display (like the normal DC line when there is no signal input but now it's at the bottom of the screen and you can't move it with vertical position button).

Instead of changing Volts/Div if the configuration is Menu Probe X1, Actual Probe switch X1 and Volts/Div is 100mV (Probe connected to Probe Comp) and i change Probe's switch from X1 to X10 the waveform also disappears (without any relay click) and a straight line at the bottom of the screen appears again.

By the last above test it looks like there isn't an input path failure but something is going wrong with the inputs signal offset or the inputs range.

Here you can see two videos i captured.

Changing volts/div while probe connected on Prob Comp

One of my last attempts i did was to update firmware to the latest one 2.8.1,
then restore default settings and do self calibration (after the update self calibration is a lot faster)

Offline candrian

• Contributor
« Reply #819 on: December 06, 2012, 02:06:46 pm »
Here is another video.

Configuration:

Cable Probe X1, Software Probe configured to X1, Volts/Div 500mV, Voltage supplied about 25Volt DC

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #820 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:41 pm »
Hello, i have also made another post in a new thread but i thought that it would be better if i post it here where more people are watching.

Actually, no offense, but you were right in creating the new thread - this is (or is supposed to be) a review (impressions) thread. You already had a knowledgeable Owon dealer (aghp) respond to you about the problem in the thread you created - you should be communicating with him - or at least posting your followup videos there. He is most likely the best person on this forum equipped to help resolve your problem.

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #821 on: December 10, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
Hi,

I am in the UK and just about to buy an SDS7102 from Aidetek/smtzone. I just called them in the states to ask a couple of questions. Very helpful girl on the phone but one thing she couldn't answer was the approx date of manufacture (or serial number) for the units they have in their UK warehouse. Obviously I would like to dodge any older stock, so I wonder if anyone in the UK has received a SDS7102 from Aidetek's UK warehouse and what sort of serial number it had ? Long shot I know.

Thanks.
Cam.

UPDATE:

Ordered Tuesday 11th December, paid 30.00 GBP extra to have it shipped from the UK warehouse and avoid any import duty and delays, arrived Thursday 13th December. Serial number SDS71021223xxx. Very impressive service.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:22:23 pm by jusanother »

Offline Faceless umbrella

« Reply #822 on: December 15, 2012, 01:13:22 am »
Hi,

I am in the UK and just about to buy an SDS7102 from Aidetek/smtzone. I just called them in the states to ask a couple of questions. Very helpful girl on the phone but one thing she couldn't answer was the approx date of manufacture (or serial number) for the units they have in their UK warehouse. Obviously I would like to dodge any older stock, so I wonder if anyone in the UK has received a SDS7102 from Aidetek's UK warehouse and what sort of serial number it had ? Long shot I know.

Thanks.
Cam.

UPDATE:

Ordered Tuesday 11th December, paid 30.00 GBP extra to have it shipped from the UK warehouse and avoid any import duty and delays, arrived Thursday 13th December. Serial number SDS71021223xxx. Very impressive service.

Thanks for that Cam. I'm in a similar position. Did you ever get a reply on the serial number or did you just jump in with the purchase?

Offline riscy00

• Contributor
« Reply #823 on: December 21, 2012, 06:30:20 am »
This scope is looking good, it on my list for 2013.

I'm very interested how the FFT performs with deep memory, does the FFT performance actually improves with deep memory or restricted memory by software?

I know that FFT suffer issue with limited by memory and wish to check if anyone see the difference and see if FFT take advantage of full memory or just partial (ie screen).

I do not see FFT have average feature (where small FFT signal stand out from noise floor).

In regard to timebase, has new firmware rev has better zoom features or it remains essentially unchanged?

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #824 on: December 21, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
This scope is looking good, it on my list for 2013.

I'm very interested how the FFT performs with deep memory, does the FFT performance actually improves with deep memory or restricted memory by software?

I know that FFT suffer issue with limited by memory and wish to check if anyone see the difference and see if FFT take advantage of full memory or just partial (ie screen).

I do not see FFT have average feature (where small FFT signal stand out from noise floor).

In regard to timebase, has new firmware rev has better zoom features or it remains essentially unchanged?

In manual:
"FFT function in this oscilloscope transforms 2048 data points of the time-domain signal into its frequency components mathematically and the final frequency contains 1024 points ranging from 0Hz to Nyquist frequency."

Here you find also some tiny tests with FFT (not full tests but somethink more than nothing - I have so much work that I have not get time for do real deep full tests and also  becouse it is only 8 bit resolution ADC  quite cheap level oscilloscope FFT and not real spectrum analyzer... it can do what it can but in this class - it is good)

This datapoint amount is typical for this kind of oscilloscopes.
(clarif: memory selection do not change FFT resolution)

---
Zoom:

Owon have selected this zoom without windowing. It is not bad after some experience of use it. (same kind of zoom was also HP used in some digital oscolloscope)

Personally I like more windowed zoom if there is one button  for  swap between windowed and full screen screen for "zoomed"  trace.

Owon not windowed zoom works nice and zoomed signal is as good as not zoomed (trig and timing works as good as not zoomed).
It is littlebit pity they do not implement zoomed also becouse Owon have display what really can do it. (800x600) if compare example to Rigol DS1000 what have only 320x240 and there it is really small for windowed zoom. But there are not perfect machines. Pros and cons.

(Btw, today oscilloscope version is 2.8.2  (SDS7102V))
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf