Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1327120 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #1200 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:48 am »
I want to thank this forum, because somehow allows us to denounce these situations. And thanks also to David L. Jones, for his honesty, informing everyone when "rf-loop" aka "aghp" or "xxxx" had discussions with himself (under another alias) in this forum, probably for their own interest. That says a lot about you rf-loop.

And tell us also honestly (do you know these words: honest or truth?) what is your real backround and motivation for this bullshit. 

Can you show even one example about this total bullshit - even one. And please tell also who is xxxx.

But where is discussion what give some wrong information or keep some fake discussion between two names. 

All these my posts can read as long as administrator keep them untouched. Even if someone change these, I have full copy.

Also I have explained bacround of rf-loop / aghp. But perhaps it wast too difficult rocket science?

But one thing I have learned here.

If I see false technical allegations, I no longer try to correct them here, specially depending on who submit false claims.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:46:40 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1201 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:14 am »
I think we need calm, there is no need to characterize each other.
The issue with the member names "rf-loop" & "aghp" I think that has cleared a long time ago AFAIK there is a reference at the signature of rf-loop about this.
My level of english, not allow me to explain it better (as I like it).

The problem for me is the wrong decision of Owon about this issue.
Clearly the noise issue is not major, but affect relatively very low signals.
There is a lot of documentary from rf-loop works.
Of course we know how we can minimize this effect by appropriate use short ground.

In my opinion the company should choose the change of these components with some discount to anyone who wishes, without any problem to warranty.

Personal, I am not to dilemma. I'll apply the idea of solution of rf-loop in combination with added inside ferrites and I'll left behind me the politics of each company.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1202 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:48 am »
In my opinion the company should choose the change of these components with some discount to anyone who wishes, without any problem to warranty.

This is minimum what I hope Owon do.
All manufacturers make mistakes. Leader is who learn from mistakes and also who give real support for customers in case of mistake.

If manufacturer do right things after some mistakes, these kind of things can, in best case, turn to win-win. But here we meet also cultural differencies.

Years ago I remember one case where manufacturer want more good reputation. They make designed (harmless) mistake and then show "look how good we are", fast solve problem and give full support for customers. After then customers talk "oh look how good and reliable manufacturer this is... "  and result was all good for this manufacturer.  Also some of these "hidden possibilities to hack"  who can really think they are not designed...

Owon make they own decisions how they handle this kind of cases. World is open... they can free select bad or clever way to do.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: June 04, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »
Personal, I am not to dilemma. I'll apply the idea of solution of rf-loop in combination with added inside ferrites and I'll left behind me the politics of each company.

This seems to be the only course of action left for those of us that would like to have better performance when working with low level signals at full bandwidth. It's a pity, because as far as specs and hardware, Owon could be a shinning star among competitors. If only they would live up to the standards that they have set for themselves in their motto.  But it is their decision if they wish to remain in the crowded market of mediocrity.

As far as to the recent comments about rf-loop/aghp, personally, I've read every one of his posts, and in good faith, I can't characterize any one of them as propaganda for his own gain as an Owon dealer. Instead, I'm grateful for the well researched technical insight and well documented tests that he has contributed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:22:06 pm by TomC »

Offline kuson

• Contributor
« Reply #1204 on: June 04, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »
Agree with TomC, and support Owon to take the best course of action for the interest of herself+customers.

Because of the honesty and expertise of RfLoop, AgHP (if one reads all along and not only abit here and abit there) -- would be cool to see what you look like actually :)   

I am still looking forward to buy one as a beginner with moderate budget, but delaying until I have a hint that I'm getting the best possible version of the 7102; 

Offline meltbox360

• Contributor
« Reply #1205 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09:55 pm »
I was so set on one but suddenly I see myself erring toward a slightly more expensive Instek. Ahhh why must so many scopes be quite good. If only Owon made the menu system as good as Rigol's and fixed the noise I would jump on this thing even if it was a bit more expensive.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1206 on: June 05, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »
Problem in new FW and LAN

I get answer from Owon about new LAN problem.

They have regognized problem and repair is coming soon. (Estimate: inside 2 weeks.)

I just got around to testing the latest patch (3.3) that was supposed to address this problem. It seems they fixed the High Memory depth option which works correctly via LAN on my scope now. However, the Image option still exhibits the same problem I had before via LAN. Everything works correctly via USB which is what I'm exclusively using for now. But this may be of interest for those that wish to use the LAN option.

There is also a new version of the oscilloscope software, but I couldn't find any improved or additional functionality other than it is supposed to support Windows 8.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:07:29 pm by TomC »

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1207 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:23 am »
There is also a new version of the oscilloscope software, but I couldn't find any improved or additional functionality other than it is supposed to support Windows 8.

You mean the pc software 2.0.8.15 probably.
From what I have saw, they fix a problem with image (bmp) transfer to pc (test in windows XP) that was empty at 2.0.8.13 version.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1208 on: June 07, 2013, 03:48:21 am »
From what I have saw, they fix a problem with image (bmp) transfer to pc (test in windows XP) that was empty at 2.0.8.13 version.

I'm curious, are you using the 3.3 patch?
If so, does the image (bmp) transfer work via LAN?

I'm using Windows 7 and image transfer via LAN hasn't worked since the 3.2 patch. The 3.3 patch was supposed to fix this but it didn't for me. The 2.0.8.15 software didn't help either. Of course, everything works fine via USB regardless of the patch version (3.2 or 3.3), or software release (2.0.8.13 or 2.0.8.15).

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1209 on: June 07, 2013, 07:43:14 am »
Just a stupid question, but are you sure that you're using the 3.3 patch? The 3.3 .exe file available on Owon's site has same hash as the original 3.2 version of the firmware.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1210 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »
Just a stupid question, but are you sure that you're using the 3.3 patch? The 3.3 .exe file available on Owon's site has same hash as the original 3.2 version of the firmware.

I'm not sure how the hash turned out to be the same, but there is a difference in the functionality of the two files. The deep memory transfer via LAN works with the 3.3 patch (from the Owon site), but it doesn't work with the 3.2 patch.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1211 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:33 pm »

I'm curious, are you using the 3.3 patch?
If so, does the image (bmp) transfer work via LAN?

I'm using Windows 7 and image transfer via LAN hasn't worked since the 3.2 patch. The 3.3 patch was supposed to fix this but it didn't for me. The 2.0.8.15 software didn't help either. Of course, everything works fine via USB regardless of the patch version (3.2 or 3.3), or software release (2.0.8.13 or 2.0.8.15).

Yes, I am using the 3.3 patch.
At the 2.0.8.13 I have saw a transfer image problem to pc. The previous versions haven't this problem. At the last (2.0.8.15) this problem has resolved. I didn't test via LAN but only with usb cable under windows XP (32bit).

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1212 on: June 07, 2013, 11:43:47 pm »
Yes, I am using the 3.3 patch.
At the 2.0.8.13 I have saw a transfer image problem to pc. The previous versions haven't this problem. At the last (2.0.8.15) this problem has resolved. I didn't test via LAN but only with usb cable under windows XP (32bit).

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't expecting these differences in functionality depending on the Windows OS version. All of my computers use Windows 7 (64 bit). So I'll be sure to specify that in future posts.

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #1213 on: June 08, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

Asked owon about that some time ago:

For space limited we save all the upgrade program together in one zip file together.
And the upgrade software will upgrade AUTOMATICALLY refer to specific version number.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards
Melissa Zhang
Fujian Lilliput Optoelectronics Technology Co.Ltd.

Offline AndrejaKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1214 on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
I'm aware that they pack multiple versions of firmware in same file (for example I used the "3.3" patch to update my SDS71021209xxx scope to firmware version 2.8.1.6), but that's not the answer here.

What I'm saying is that back when I downloaded the 3.2 patch, it had creation date of 2013-03-28 at 09:52 and size of 131.763.366 bytes.  That file was downloaded back when 3.2 was the newest firmware. After that, 3.3 update appeared on the Owon site (and by Owon site, I mean owon.com.hk). I downloaded it (after some trouble, since they apparently never heard of character encoding on a HTML page, but that seems to be fixed now) and the file also had creation date of 2013-03-28 at 09:52 and size of 131.763.366 bytes. That looked strange to me, so I did MD5 hash of both files and got same result of ACBEBCF1B37A9B69DCDEE07EE6860837.

So that means that the 3.2 and 3.3 update files are completely same! Looking at the affected serial numbers, the only difference I can see is that the 3.2 patch has updates for SDS71021209xxx scopes, while 3.3 does not. For other scopes, it's the same. Publishing another 3.3 patch file gives impression to the users of non SDS71021209xxx scopes that there is in fact some change since the version 3.2, but in fact there is none, since they got the 3.3 in the first place.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1215 on: June 08, 2013, 10:21:47 am »
I haven't been reading this thread, but FYI I'm uploading a video of the SDS scope now. It's a seriously crappy scope!  :--

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1216 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
Ah, I should have read checked this thread before I did the video. I thought the SDS was a fairly new model, but apparently is 2 years old  :-[

Offline Yaksaredabomb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1217 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:41 am »
I haven't been reading this thread, but FYI I'm uploading a video of the SDS scope now. It's a seriously crappy scope!  :--

Ah, I should have read checked this thread before I did the video. I thought the SDS was a fairly new model, but apparently is 2 years old  :-[

That's okay - always interesting to see what things you look at and what your comments are, and it'll be fun to watch even if it is about an "old" scope.  Besides, 2 years is not so old for test equipment - even if a few interesting, even "game-changing" models have been released since then.
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1218 on: June 08, 2013, 10:32:02 am »
Yes, the battery and VGA output (in a low-cost DSO) are it's main distinguishing points these days.

If you want to review a newer, low-end DSO that some members are clamoring about, you might look at the Uni-T UTD2102CM, which, according to it's specs, does 150k wfrm/s (although they don't specify where and when it does that). Since it doesn't have intensity grading or a Trigger Out, it's been hard for people trying to figure out if it actually achieves those speeds.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:37:07 am by marmad »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1219 on: June 08, 2013, 10:51:46 am »
If you want to review a newer, low-end DSO that some members are clamoring about, you might look at the Uni-T UTD2102CM, which, according to it's specs, does 150k wfrm/s (although they don't specify where and when it does that). Since it doesn't have intensity grading or a Trigger Out, it's been hard for people trying to figure out if it actually achieves those speeds.

I have a Tekway scope and will probably do a video on that on Monday.
http://www.triosmartcal.com.au/1961-tekway-dst1102b-digital-oscilloscope-with-wide-screen-hd-display.html

The Owon has a crappy 35wfm/s, or that's the best I could get out of it. And even that drops when you turn the menu on!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1220 on: June 08, 2013, 11:01:19 am »
The Owon has a crappy 35wfm/s, or that's the best I could get out of it. And even that drops when you turn the menu on!

Yes, it seems as if they're just acquiring the full 10MPts (10ms @ 1GSa/s) all of the time - and just displaying a smaller subset of that when the sample length is set to a smaller amount (but not changing the acquisition length).

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1221 on: June 08, 2013, 11:13:08 am »
http://www.triosmartcal.com.au/1961-tekway-dst1102b-digital-oscilloscope-with-wide-screen-hd-display.html

This have discussed many times that this is not DPO, it is DSO.

But this using marmad method with two pulse it also can trig faster and capture but not continuously. (this is measured and result is in this other topic.

Table is here

If you have Owon SDS and Tekway (Hantek) DST1000B (Hantek 5000B)
Turn it to 1M maximum memory.
Turn Owon to 1M memory.
Just look TFT and how it update. Which one you can calculate waveform update rate by own eyes.
(exept if Tekway/Hnatek have radically changed after I have tested it)
In many cheapest "entry level" oscilloscopes manufacturers claimed waveform update rates are just perhaps dreams.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:19:01 am by rf-loop »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1222 on: June 08, 2013, 11:19:10 am »
I think you'll make many members happy with a video about that DSO as well; since it's so well-documented and hacked (thanks to tinhead) - and it's one which many people consider when looking for a low-cost DSO. But you do realize that it's about +3 years old as well, right?  :)

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1223 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:23 am »

David, do you remember what fw version has it?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1224 on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:27 pm »
I wanted to buy this scope... But I did not.  :) :)
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf