Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1327152 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Review of Owon SDS7102
« Reply #425 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:22 am »
Relays have also changed for improvement.
Now there is better Fujitsu relays what also may have RF improvement and maybe also they have some other advantage over NEC what was used before.

This all tell that Owon really want do and also do improvements continuously for product reliability/quality, manufacturing, serviceability,  and also improve signal handling quality/accuracy. Other dingle dongles are not so important.

Of course improvements wish list may be long. Some things are more iportant than others and weighting these depends usage and people. But first need be real measuring equipment things and after then come makeup like things.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:59:39 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #426 on: December 04, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »
Some random preliminary samples from testing new improved HW version SDS7102V

(this was not very good and these "waves" on the flatness tell also that signal line matching to scope input was not perfect, but it was done with "normal" poormans practice. (50 ohm feed thru terminator in scope input.)
Generator itself flatness over this whole area is better than +-0.2dBm (checked with Agilent power meter and for more reliability also with accurate condition Rohde&Schwarz spectrum analyzer.)

Sweep time 50s starting from 1MHz ending to 250MHz.
Oscilloscope set for peak detect mode and sweep in scroll mode 5s/div.

Then FFT, sweep from 1MHz to 500MHz 
Then 400MHz signal, 5MHz FM modulated with around 90kHz.
First pic signal level 200uVrms (!)  and second 40mVrms (same settings in oscilloscope)
(these are around -61dBm and around -15dBm in 50ohm system.

And then sweep  1-100MHz (oscilloscope in peak mode and scroll 5s/div)

Edit: add to bottom last picture. It is Old HW and this special single unit 250MHz peak was better than mutual average what I have seen. It can partially show how oscilloscope front end have also improved and also some improvement in noise level including also bread band "random" noise level.

It is amazing good work from Owon.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:41:03 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #427 on: December 04, 2011, 06:34:04 pm »
Some trivial toyplay with  full speed deep memory.

Now I hope somebody do same (this 150Hz+100MHz) with what ever oscilloscope and also tell oscilloscope price and model. Agilent? Oh and look 100MHz signal aliases, do you want I turn this signal 200MHz...  or more. (yes it can, without aliasing)... and horizontal speed is 500us/div.

There is 150Hz square combined with 100MHz sinewave. (just simply with T splitter as combiner)
150Hz square come from old HP8111A function gen and 100MHz come from HP8644B.

Scope run so that whole one phase 150Hz square can look and then pushed stop and then I want find what HF signal is riding on the 150Hz sqw.

Scope still stopped. Then littlebit shifted (becouse I also try with simple timebase "zoom" and forget return timeshift.
Yellow vertical line is 2 set lines for zoom "window". (500us/div base and 2ns/div zoomed 250000:1)

Scope still stopped. Then zoomed, now scope do not use sin(x)/x  so shape is not "nice". There it is 100MHz.

Then with this zoom scope run (now also it use sin(x)/x). (notice freq counter 150Hz)

Then more easy.

500us/div  and set zoom time 2ns/div (250000:1)

then zoom but also using persistence so that it collects trig jitter if there is. Only what can see is small timing error in trig position well under 0.5ns. In normal mode 2ns/div there is not this.

(and its waveform update speed  is also fast with 10M memory if compare example hantek speed with 500k or 1M where you can easy count with eyes how it updates waveform to screen. 1....2.....3......   so  Owon 10M is really also usable! 

(note: in some picture I forget change probe factor from default 10:1 to 1:1. So channel setting voltage show wrong. (with direct cable it is of course 1:1)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:44:12 am by rf-loop »

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #428 on: December 05, 2011, 08:06:24 am »
Hello,

I'm new in the forum.

Afeter reading a lot on Rigol DS1052, Hantek DSO5102B and Owon SDS7102 threads, I finally decided to go on the Owon, and I ordered one with VGA, LAN and battery (I really wanted the battery version).
My first impressions are that the LCD is really fantastic, and although the unit is hevier than I expected is quite portable (I only miss some protection to the LCD similar to the Teks, some cover or something).
The menu is not so bad, I find it usable, and I usually don't need very sofiticated features, so I am quite satisfied with the features.
The VGA output provides 800x600@60Hz (at least that is what my samsung monitor says), and it looks a little noisy and with too much bright (a little washed out), but I tested only a little time and I suppose it can be fixed by setting monitor controls.
My only concern is that the unit looks quite noisy.

Could someone take a look at these  pictures and tell me is it is normal?

First one with probe conected to nothing (yes, it's not the best setup, but it looks like picking up more noise than other oscilloscopes I have used).
Second one (probe conected to calibration output, after calibration and probe compensation).

Limiting the bandwith to 20MHz reduces the noise, but still more than I expected.
Is my unit faulty or this is normal?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: December 05, 2011, 09:01:05 am »
Owon (open) inputs are littlebit sensitive for HF becouse they have very low capacitance.

Go to enviroment where is not high EMI. (example not switch mode "energy saving" lamps and not other high level HF EMI sources near oscilloscope and do not connect probe or connect probe with x1 setting and short circuit probe.

Do you have well grounded  power line. Compare noise with battery (power cable not connected at all to scope) and then with power line.

--------------
Do test:  But first short circuit input. (inside BNC center to GND directly without "antenna") or use example 50ohm BNC terminators if you have. How it change noise if compare open BNC and shorted? 

(if have no BNC short it can esy made... take short piece thin wire around 2cm . Fold it half point and then adjust it as Y  bottom of Y push in to BNC center and both sides now make connect inside BNC to GND walls..  Wire need be so thin that foldedwire go easy to BNC center hole. Spring effect make it do still enough good contact.

Do default.
Turn off CH2
Turn scope CH1 to 10mV/div DC (with 1x input seting) With short circuited (or terminated with 50 ohm terminator) input BNC and no BW reject.

Turh Acquire mode  to peak detect.

Trigger auto (as default)

select  lenght 10M

Set horizontal speed to 100ms/div
Save picture.
-------------------------

Swith 20M BW on and off, how it change noise.

Some amount of noise can always see. This is nominal for digital scopes. (also analog have noise but you can not see it becouse phosphor is slow. Then this mainly thermal noise in digital scope is also together with digitizing noise.. )

If need look continuous signal with digital scope and want noise down, normal practice is use average.
(this is normal for all digital oscilloscope independent of name.  many peoples  wonders digiltal oscilloscopes (normal) noise becouse they have used analog oscilloscope before.. yes this noise is also there but phosphor CRT itself filter it. If scope have as called fast "phosphor" (or example Tek special fast  superexpensve tube,  it can show this noise..  specially if turn bright trace out of screen and then look only this noise in dark room...  but, digital scope do not "forget" this noise... every "pixel" is fast.  If it have sampled, it is also displayed. (on/off) In analog scope one fast random noise spike is so fast and beam is so short time activating phosphor  that phosphor can not react so fast.. (in some cases they tell how many meter /s tube can draw so that it can normally be visible. This is good and bad.. also analog scope this brightness variations give information specially if user have lot of experience with it)
(some things are difficult with my 500 word english dictionary)

if someone do not believe this analog scope case... please test it.
Take 10ns pulse what appears every 100ms. Try find it with normal analog scope. Or do single shot. Wathch in dark room brightness  full... maybe you see onlu trig led blinks but nothing on the screen. Then keep same pulse... but adkust so that it appears more often... 10ms...1ms...100us... 1us... what time you start seeing this pulse.. ;)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:19:48 am by rf-loop »

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #430 on: December 05, 2011, 09:13:35 am »
Thank you very much for your fast response.
I'll try to make the tests this afternoon and post the results.

Undertood your explanation, don't worry about your english, mine is worse for sure.

Just wanted to know if the unit is faulty because in the images posted by you (and others) it looks like the noise is lower, but it may be that I'm in a noisy environment..I'll check this.

Thanks again, and thank you for your comments on this scope. They were really helpful for me to take the decision on the buy on this model.

I'll try to disassemble the battery to check the cells used in case anyone is interested in adding battery capabilities to the scope (it looks like it's difficult to get the battery alone due to courier restrictions).

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: December 05, 2011, 09:36:31 am »

I'll try to disassemble the battery to check the cells used in case anyone is interested in adding battery capabilities to the scope (it looks like it's difficult to get the battery alone due to courier restrictions).

Please do NOT.

First, it is one of most powerfull battery still with acceptable price.
It is Lithium Cobalt Oxide polymer battery. INCLUDING electronics! This electronics is just for these cells made by
Hangzhou Wanma High-energy Battery Co., Ltd.
Or also this: http://www.yokuenergy.com/en/intro.asp
(strange becouse also yoku name exactly same cell number. (is it same company or group? who knows..)

Shipping is NOT problem! But it need do including Hangzhou Wanma safety sheets.
If courier do not understand IATA rules then ... bad courier.
Owon (Fujian Lilliput..) have send these batteries around of world without problems.
Some country of course may have they own rules but how hell they can then get any lithium cells what are in laptop computers, or electric bicycles.
Yest there are rules but also battery alone go under capacity rules on the fly.

It is 60Wh battery and there must not be any problem to send it.

Do not try connect any other battery to Owon.  It is build so that part of functionality is battery own electronic inside sealed battery box.

Also if you take battery out. DO NOT make any kind of short circuit or overload. It may damage its electronic.
If you measure empty battery. You can not find voltage or any cuttent if you try load it. Becouse battery out is totally "locked" with its own electronic. 

What ever other batteries connected to Owon may permanently damage oscilloscope.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:37:42 pm by rf-loop »

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #432 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:47 am »
OK, I though I read somewhere that there were problems to ship the battery if not fitted inside the scope.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline blueflash

• Contributor
« Reply #433 on: December 05, 2011, 04:11:50 pm »
Made some shots with FFT on my SDS8102 to check whether my device has a line at 250MHz like the 7102. But it hasn't. But when sampling with 2GHz there is a line at 500MHz. So I guess this line is produced only in interleaved mode when both ADC-Parts are running on one channel.

It is the old model with modifications as described

Offline gmonno

« Reply #434 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie with oscilloscopes and probably I'll buy a 7102, the use would be to debug tube amplifiers.

On Ebay there are a lot of offers ranging from 320 euros up to 400 (and more).

Have someone bought from these resellers? I understand there is no real difference between a 340€ and a 420€ model, they should be the same.
Is there any problem buying directly from a chinese supplier?

Thanks a lot

gmonno (Madrid)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #435 on: December 05, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »
Both adc blocks have exactly same clock.
When they are combined for one channel use. Clock only inverted and adjusted inside ADC chip itself!
But still it is same clock, not as example Rigol where is separate adcs and separate generated timeshifted clocks. This is totally different interleaving.
Becouse there is just exactly same clock it do not have so much multi ADC interleaved problems.

Also this clever chip have inside chip some kind of selfcal routine so it is quite well balanced also combined mode. 

SDS8102 have ADC08D1000 and SDS7102 have ADC08D500. (RuiFeng clones 2001 and 2002)

SDS8102 show 500MHz peak and it is comparable to SDS7102 250MHz peak.

Partially some amount of this peak may also born  on the ADC "silicon".

Datastream out from ADC is 250MHz in the 7102 and 500MHz in the 8102 and 8202.
There are I and Q datastreams. Both these streamd are splitted to two 8bit wide databus.
Totally there are 4 pcs 8bit bus. 7102 these each bus are 250MHz and in 8xxx these are 4x500MHz bus.

I have suspect that this noise come somehow from this digital part of ADC. (and if reason is this,  then also part of noise can make infection inside chip (this bus driving is hard for ADC if thinking how clean analog side need keep) but first look outside chip and my opinion is that they have not RF isolated enouhg tight analog and digital powerlines to the chip and also GND RF current spikes need handle.
(they are not so easy!) 

This noise is NOT any kind of real problem! But of course it is cosmetically littlebit better if it can attenuate some amount. (250MHz in 7102 and 500MHz in 8xxx)

But what I really hope. I hope they do not attenuate these frequencies by FW (filtering digital side... please Owon, do not!  You are not Hantek)  Becouse I want 100MHz scope what can clearly look signals  up to 300-400MHz and even more. ;)
(7102  flatness... <-1dB to 100MHz and <-3dB around 220 - 270MHz (individual units and also differencies what Voltage "band" is in use. (voltage level range is splitted to 3 bands and they have different amplifier/attenuator /and compensation ciruits setting) But quite well for 100MHz oscilloscope.

And this better frequency response and pulse response is ONLY for new improved models what have just short time ago started manufacturing these. (different HW)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:00:22 pm by rf-loop »

Offline blueflash

• Contributor
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:48 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie with oscilloscopes and probably I'll buy a 7102, the use would be to debug tube amplifiers.

Have someone bought from these resellers?
Is there any problem buying directly from a chinese supplier?

I would recomment to buy from Your official local dealer (is a little bit more expensive) or directly from Owon which is the same price as the other chinese dealers but including warranty!

The most other chinese dealers won't care if You have any problems with Your device. So be careful - buying cheap may be very expensive!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2011, 07:43:19 am »
From what ever place buy new Owon, there is factory warranty.
But most of sellers do not test/check enything. They sell just this condition what they have get after transport.
Also if they package bad, there is danger for transport damage. This is NOT included factory warrannty!
Also if it is Owon or what ever company who make products there is always posibility that unit have some error/fail. Even if/or factory have done final QC. There is not 100% sure unit is really fully ok. Also failure propability is most high just in new unit... after some ageing if no fail it is more sure it is ok, until there come product  lifetime end.. then agen failure rate rise.
Some sellers may do also some kind of pre ageing "burn in" test with all functions test with measurements. Buying from these kind of sellers is absolutely more safe, but still all is statistic. Transport damage is bad and in these case you need trust seller that he take all responsibility. Also for safe it is better to use some good shipping company, DHL, TNT, FeDex etc. Normal postal service is cheap but if not extremely well packaged it is nearly as fishing problems.

Of course customer care is not free. All works need money. Handling risks need some amount of money.

Why there are not so much really good sellers who really also know what they sell and how take care about problems?
It is very easy to sell as dropshipper or nearly as dropshipper.

Risk to get bad unit is small but if it happend it is very sad and may take long time before problems are solved or sometimes buyer only just loose money.

If seller is "small" or "big" it do not meaning nearly anything. Just there are good sellers, exellent sellers and then bad sellers and even fully mad sellers.

Most of sellers do not understan anything what is meanig of "after sales customer care". 
This is also difficult and it is nearly so that it can offer only locally.

Pricing is also now just as disturbed becouse there is old versions, versions without VGA, versions without LAN etc... some have now problem to sell old factory versions and it can see in price.  Old units in stock.. and nobody buy, what to do. Lower price. This can easy now see in ebay. And also with some other seller who have before buy more big lot to stock becouse reducing shipping cost and get littlebit discount. Now they have old versions in stock, maybe lot of.

From Owon directly... maybe can not get before Christmas... you can look some seller who information that they can get new units after week 02 (2012). They just introduce scopes what they have not at all in stock.

Also remember that wire transfer is not free, you need pay all bank fees, also receiver bank fee. Dependent of buyer bank and location it may be up to tens of USD.  Also it need wait this money transfer process. Today afaik there is queye in factory. Buy now, it do not come out next day, maybe next week or next month. Becouse selling trend is fastly rised...   and why. Just becouse they are good if compare to competitors in under around USD500 class.

Final: If unit itself have manufacture fail or fails inside warranty time and all things are as stated in rulkes... Owon (Fujian Lilliput... ) is there and they stay behind warranty where ever you buy unit what are manufactured for sellin ion your local area.  I have see on the cartons label "EU" and they are not made for local China markets!  But do you know what versions some Chinese eBay seller really sell to you.... you ask seller... they may answer. maybe they even not know but still they answer just as chinese seller answer. (if buyer buy, he is good seller, how ever he have talked to seller, what ever he have promised so that buyer buy... and all maybe without any kind of knowledge. maybe some seller it is same selling makeup box or oscilloscope boxes.

Do not take these all words so seriously...
;)

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2011, 08:40:58 am »
Hello,

Find some tests run from battery and from AC. With 50Ohm terminator, short-circuit, shorted probe and full/20Mhz BW.
For me it looks like the GND was not conected as open input and terminated input seems to provide the same reading, and te shorted input picks up a little more noise, but it may be OK and the input is just very sensitive.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2011, 09:23:57 am »
I just took mine apart ;-)  not a complete  teardown - but enough to see the VGA circuit on mine is different than the pictures BlueFlash put on Mikrocontroller

I only have the 3 pin header / cable going to the main boards and quite a few of the chips are missing compared to pictures from BlueFlash.

I do have a very slight noise when turning down brightness on display. But I do not really care right now :-)

Scope looks better built than I expected.  I do have a small 500KHz pulse (abut 11mv P2P) when probes are connected to ground. (20.0mvBW/20m limit/500MS/s/2.0us) - but it is the same on both channels. And that seems like what makes my capture lines slightly fuzzy. But I can live with it and I do not have a terminator to put on to test without probes. And it might be an environment issue.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:52 am »
Peoples can also think what happends if this picture is 320x240 pixel as example Rigol.

We need remember also that theoretical maximum ADC resolution is 8bit. Vertically absolute maximum levels are 256.
And there is always some thermal and other types of noise, in all units. This is in Agilent, this is in Owon, it is in Rohde&Shcwatz.  Some scopes may have different methods for clean cosmetically displayed trace.
Expensive scopes may also have really useful methods for make more accuracy. As we know ADC is sampling always fast.
If samplerate (displayes) is example 10Ms/s there may ne still 1Gs/s. Now how to select what sample is better or maybe use nearly this time point real samples and calculate some kind of time and value weighted virtual sample point to display. Or what ever EE's can find what is good method. But these kind of things need lot of processing power, specially if also real samplerate is high.

Peak detect is more easy. Collect (and littlebit handling) highest samples...

Later I give some kind of simple test pictures from unit what is sure good.  (just these open BNC and probe connected and noise.  But remember, Owon have nearly 500 vertical pixels and data maximum theoretical vertical resolution is only 256

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »
First cex:

In your pictures can not see any abnormal or symptoms about problems. Just normal.

(but of course I do not know your enviroment).

After scope is used more than example 100 - 200 hours keep it on least half to whole hour and do selfcalibration so that all connectors are empty and enviroment EMI is normal/low. Always also if temperature is more than 5 Celsius different as last selfcalibration done.
--------

I loose 3 pictures taken with scanning (scroll) mode and peak detect so later these for some kind of refeence.

These pictures have made with sure good perfect normal (new HW)  SDS7102V  / V2.4.1

All pics acquire is normal mode.

pictures have itself information about some settings so look these.
multiply x1
A: BNC open, normal sampling mode and memory 1k, BW full
B: Same but memory 10M  (samplerate rise), BW full
C: Input x10, probe x10, probe adjust made as good as can. Probe connected to scope 1kHz out and GND also.
Memory 10M, note adjusted trig level and signal bottom level (and of course inputs are now DC mode! )
D: same but memory 1k
E: Probe as before: V/div adjusted and also trig level and signal bottom. Look carefully also trig level. Your picture need look nearly same.
F: Probe still connected and probe GND connected to center of probe (test pin) BW limited! Probe head free on the table not near any electronic or electric things.
H: same settings but BW full.
J: This GND wire connected to probe centerpin and opened so that it make nearly O. It is good poormans loop antenna (but with coax cable you can do much more better) Probe still 10x.
This antenna is on the IBM laptop,
M: Same but antenna moved and scope adjusted.
N: still same but "antenna" now different place on the laptop.

last pics just for fun.
With first pictures you can littlebit look if your scope looks around same.
--------

If measure continuous signals and want more accuracy, less noise use average.
If you afraid aliases with lower horizontal speed turn memory maximum. (and turn timebase more fast.
Sometimes good practice is start timebase from highest speed to dow. (many peoples have practice to adjust from low to fast... yes no problem if enough experience for avoid alias issues. Of course this is much more important with low memory scopes what drops dramatically fast sampling speed when go more slov horizontal speeds.

These  pics are only for reference if someone think that there is something wrong in noise things in his scope.
(these are made with sure ok SDS7102 and in normal home enviroment without nearly any bad EMI noise, exept this computer just insie 30cm to scope and no any strong RF sources (TV, Radio, etc towers near.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:46:39 pm by rf-loop »

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #442 on: December 07, 2011, 08:33:51 am »
I will check my unit using your images as a reference.

Thank you so much for your support.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:13 am »
I will check my unit using your images as a reference.

Thank you so much for your support.

Small differencies are normal. Used probe adjustements and all things tolerances. Also enviroment may affect.

Typical is with 10mV~ range (x1) and PEAK acquisition in use (1k - 10M) and 100ms/div scrolling noise p-p is 3-5mV with OPEN input and BW full..  With BW 20MHz limit it is around half

50 ohm terminator may rise littlebit this noise

If noise is something like double and enviroment have not high EMI level and AC power is clean enough then may suspect scope have some problem.
(sometimes whole lab powerline need filter if house  powerline is very dirty. (and this is not related to Owon... but all lab instrumentation)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:02:53 pm by rf-loop »

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #444 on: December 07, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »
Hello to everybody, I'm following with interest this thread.
I have an old philips PM3217, and I'd like to buy a dso.
If I understand correctly the difference between sds7102 and 8102
is only the speed of 2GSps at 1k and 10k memory, is it right?
To rf-loop: how can we identify the new hardware revision?
Is it possible without dismantling the scope?
Will it have some name variant? Or some code accessible
from menu?
I don't want to buy it from no-name ebay seller (300-360euro),
but neither I want to pay more than twice that price here in Italy.
Is there any italian or european reseller with decent prices
(you can also contact in p.m.)?
Thank you all for alll these precious informations!!
Fabio Eboli.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:02 am »
Hello to everybody, I'm following with interest this thread.
I have an old philips PM3217, and I'd like to buy a dso.
If I understand correctly the difference between sds7102 and 8102
is only the speed of 2GSps at 1k and 10k memory, is it right?
To rf-loop: how can we identify the new hardware revision?
Is it possible without dismantling the scope?
Will it have some name variant? Or some code accessible
from menu?
I don't want to buy it from no-name ebay seller (300-360euro),
but neither I want to pay more than twice that price here in Italy.
Is there any italian or european reseller with decent prices
(you can also contact in p.m.)?
Thank you all for alll these precious informations!!

It is still SDS7102. All product versions meet they specifications.
Many manufacturers do many kind of improvements during product.
I have lot of Tektronix service manuals and same for HP. It is more like rule that there are same model but there are many improvements/changes. Then there read that these things are valid to these serial numbers etc. Same in TV's same in cars etc.
Many times users do not need know these. (service need know variations)
This improvement of frequency response over 150MHz area they may delete what ever time becouse it is not specified.

8102, 8202: 100k, 1M and 10M capture memory is limited to max 1GSa/s.

later PM, now busy

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #446 on: December 08, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »
Hello,
I tried to replay your tests.

For A and B (open input) I get almost the same as you, but when I connect the probe I get more noise.
I was unable to get the same shape as you on E, and get more noise on all other tests, but from F and H it looks like I'm picking some kind of interference (maybe a mobile repeater).
If I disconnect the probe GND from center pin the signal on F and H decreases a lot.

I suppose the oscilloscope is OK, but my environment is too noisy (I'm running from battery and no electronic equipment near but don't know what my neighbours have ).

Offline michaelgmurphy

« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:14 pm »
It looks like the Linux driver is a private project of Michael Murphy, and the project seems pretty dead - no code was ever committed to the svn repository. Probably nothing to do whatsoever with Owon, which means that support will be no help.

You could try contacting Michael:  http://sourceforge.net/users/mgmurphy

Hi!  I thought my ears were burning  ;D

The code I wrote is GPL'ed. If anyone wants to make an SVN repository from it then please do.

Credit for obtaining the specs for that range of Owon scope goes to Pavel Cejka.   18 months earlier, Pavel first approached Owon requesting the specs, but was initially rebuffed.  Others independently appealed to Owon for the specs but were also refused.

It seemed that Owon wasn't going to budge on this so I set about reverse-engineering the USB transaction protocol used by that range of scopes.

The scope was repeatedly interrogated using the Microsoft Windows software.  At the same time, a USB bus sniffer was logging the URBs (USB packets) that flowed between the PC and the scope.*

From examining those URB contents, the transaction protocol was soon understood. It turned out to be a very simple protocol. However, it took much longer to understand the fields in the vectorgram headers.

The Linux driver was eventually published. Almost simultaneously, Owon surprised us by unexpectedly releasing the official specifications. The timing was no coincidence. I guess someone in Owon HQ decided that now the source code for the driver was published, there was no commercial reason to keep the specs private.

So it's surprising that Owon is refusing to release the protocol for its newer range of scopes.

The operating system of the laboratory is Unix, or some flavour of it.  Not Microsoft Windows. Refusing to support and acknowledge the *Nix community, a sizeable sector of the market, is a strange business decision.

Plus ca change..

We are currently reverse-engineering the i2c protocol used by the WinChipHead CH341 multi-protocol controller from Nanjing QinHeng Electronics.    The CH341 is widely used for a range of applications.  We want to develop a Linux driver for a low-cost range of i2c EEPROM programmers.  Again, there is only (closed-source) Windows software available for the CH341 and it's Chinese language software too.

To date, QinHeng, the makers of the CH341 have ignored all requests for the specs on that IC.   The embedded s/w development we are doing is all in Linux and it's extremely inconvenient to keep a Windows PC running just to burn EEPROMs.

The photos from Blueshark are very interesting. Has anyone examined the flash contents, or a firmware image for the Owon?    What embedded operating system are the Owon scopes running?  Linux, perchance?  If so, where's the GPL'ed source code, please, Owon?

If I can be any help on this project, please email me.

cheers, m

<ee07m060@gmail.com>

* Wireshark now has very good support for capturing USB bus traffic. And by running the Windows s/w for the scope from a VirtualBox guest WinOS running on a Linux host, it's much easier to reverse-engineer a Microsoft Windows USB device driver.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:28:27 pm by michaelgmurphy »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #448 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:06 am »
Today SDS7102 have LAN connection.

For USB and RS232 and file structure Owon have updated "manual" but still it have some errors(?) specially for SDS series. (in this version what I have seen last time) There is explained .bin file header but it have some mistakes .

Of course main thing in Owon is develop itself oscilloscope becouse in mainstream it is stand alone oscilloscope. (yes sometimes communicatin is also more or less important but first in priority is good working stand alone oscilloscope.)

And this, how it works, they have improved, specially front end have improved much better. T
oday SDS7102 is different and better than same SDS before. This improvement/development is they main work.  Developing improvements in quality including reliability  and functionality --  it is work I hope they put nearly all resources!   Then priority level 2. can do these other things. But today I can see that there have been so important need to put all resources to these level 1. improvements that other things have been  in state "some day".

Example in short time they have designed whole main board ans adapter board agen and well... they are lot of better. So.. I'm happy that they have not put they capacity to 2. level things yet.
But also I hope they do also these after they have littlebit more "free" time.

But as they now have LAN in this model, I really hope they some day implement also command mode for control unit over LAN.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #449 on: December 09, 2011, 11:55:19 pm »
It is still SDS7102. All product versions meet they specifications.
Many manufacturers do many kind of improvements during product.
I have lot of Tektronix service manuals and same for HP. It is more like rule that there are same model but there are many improvements/changes. Then there read that these things are valid to these serial numbers etc. Same in TV's same in cars etc.
Many times users do not need know these. (service need know variations)
This improvement of frequency response over 150MHz area they may delete what ever time becouse it is not specified.

8102, 8202: 100k, 1M and 10M capture memory is limited to max 1GSa/s.

later PM, now busy

Ok, I understand the periodic hardware revision process, I was just curious if there are clues
on revision version as serial numbers ranges etc.
Thank you.
Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf