Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 626228 times)

Vladdracuul and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2016, 07:36:49 pm »
Do we know yet what the real-time FFT span is?

The SAW filters have a 3dB BW of 15MHz and a flat passband region of 6Mhz, so I would guess the real time range is around 10MHz?

BR
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:40:08 pm by 1design »

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
There is real bug when SAA3000X is in SSA3021X mode.

Not analyzed more due to lot of  queyed works.

Detector VideoAverage, Average mode LogPower, when using very wide Span (example full span)  and RBW1kHz (most narrow RBW with very wide span).  Average mode Power or Voltage looks like ok.
With RBW3kHz all  is ok.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »
I do not know what happend to image quality visible in forum. If you download image then it looks ok. It looks like forum reduce image size??
Oups...it is MY browser/display!

Mode:  3.2GHz

Mode: 2.1GHz

(note: With full span RBW1k detector VideoAverage is wrong. This is why I use detector "Sample" and trace averaged (only 10 times due to long sweep time.)
And also some other small details different but this because bit different detector and trace average settings when it was running.

2.1GHz model  and 3.2GHz model,  all traces are stopped (there read "Viev"  what means it is freezed. Reason for this was simply. If I accidentally hit something I do not loose long time acquisition (look sweep time and multiply it least ten)

In all trace C imply DANL dBm/Hz 
(math is used for 1kRBW to 1HzRBW and then noise level correction using constant 3dB)

Input terminated by 50ohm.

3.2GHz

2.1GHz

In these added 888.88MHz  -100dBm carrier.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:18:19 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2016, 08:12:05 pm »
Pic.....

Pic....

2.1GHz model  and 3.2GHz model, 
How did yo do that^^^
Have you 2 units or 1 improved model?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2016, 06:07:23 am »
Pic.....

Pic....

How did yo do that^^^

Magic under the polar lights, dual personality, speaks during the day and at night she howls like a wolf.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:29 am »
Pic.....

Pic....

How did yo do that^^^

Magic under the polar lights, dual personality, speaks during the day and at night she howls like a wolf.
:-DD
I thought that might be so.   ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2016, 06:38:32 am »
Pic.....

Pic....

How did yo do that^^^

I didn't realise you guys were both from Taupaki

:scared:

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
Something about level flatness.

This test is not real level accuracy and flatness test.
But this may still tell something. (Trace B)
 Least that there is flatness correction table "in home" what is generated in factory calibration.
More deep real test need very accurate power meter, calibration grade precision splitter and other needed things.
But for bit better trust I did it with two very different cable: 25cm RG223 and 300cm Suhner Sucoflex 104-PE. Also I know this my HP8642B individual unit have good flatness. Far better than  crap HP8657B.  More accurate is HP8644B (with better than standard accuracy) but my unit go only to 1G so this is why 42B.

(with noise floor shape traces I have used different RBW)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:48:12 pm by rf-loop »

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2016, 12:36:26 pm »
.... 2)  there is a free PC software called EasySpectrum, this works good. You can save the screen picture to PC with a black or white background.
@Deuze: On my SSA3021x with firmware 07.05, the software Easyspectrum will not start. It shows an errror message that my firmware is not the latest one (which it is). When I downgrade to 07.03, everything is fine. Can you confirm this behaviour on your machine too?

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:56 pm »
If the video is done well, it can be watched both by beginners and more advanced users.
Please check my posting more careful :)

Basically the videos from Shahriar, lack structure, and don't take up the classical formal tests from the start to the end.

With proper structure in place, educational explanations on a blackboard in between, to not only focus
on the instrument as such, but also about the background technology related to spectrum analyzers, you can do a video that is both learnful, not boring, includes variation, and which is accessible to beginners and more advanced users. With an index at the beginning advanced users can start the video at the proper section.

Like I said before: I think we are looking for a 3rd type of video blogger, next to Dave/Jack and Shahriar.

Nobody is perfect. And there is always room for improvement. If only more video bloggers and forum users would realize this :)

To come back on the topic of the videos made by Shahriar.

Here is an example video, that demonstrates the same approach of Shahriar: Trying to impress by rambling technical buzz words, without any overall structure in the video whatsoever, resulting in a video that is totally useless to people who are not already experts in the field.

https://youtu.be/Gl1FHUIWNzY?t=49

Note that people who are already experts in the field don't need these videos in the first place :)

Offline TeusTukker

« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »
.... 2)  there is a free PC software called EasySpectrum, this works good. You can save the screen picture to PC with a black or white background.
@Deuze: On my SSA3021x with firmware 07.05, the software Easyspectrum will not start. It shows an errror message that my firmware is not the latest one (which it is). When I downgrade to 07.03, everything is fine. Can you confirm this behaviour on your machine too?
On mine with version 07.05 is connected to LAN and shows up in the Home network list in the ADSL modem. However, in the "Connect" dialog box it does not show up (It shows my SDM3055 though). It is a bug  :(

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2016, 04:40:34 pm »
On mine with version 07.05 is connected to LAN and shows up in the Home network list in the ADSL modem. However, in the "Connect" dialog box it does not show up (It shows my SDM3055 though). It is a bug  :(
I did connect it through USB (the connector on the back side) to the PC, not LAN.

Offline TeusTukker

« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:09 pm »
So, both LAN and USB do not work. I noticed today: if I leave EasySpectrum running and the connect dialog open sometimes the SSA will say "press escape to go local". So the PC it is trying to connect.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2016, 07:52:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

There is a good chance Siglent are aware of this and you may have noticed the unit Dave did his EEVblog review with had FW version 7.06 installed. We have yet to see this version offered publicly however I'll point Siglent tech support to your post so we can get some idea if there is an outstanding LAN connection problem and when it will be fixed.
So, both LAN and USB do not work. I noticed today: if I leave EasySpectrum running and the connect dialog open sometimes the SSA will say "press escape to go local". So the PC it is trying to connect.
Interesting.....
Other members have posted screenshots from both USB and LAN connection, and yes and I see you have SDM3055 that apparently works with both USB and LAN so we'll ask tech support for pointers for a fix.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2016, 10:03:21 am »
New Firmware for SSA3000X series

Version: P07.07
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SSA3000X-P07.07.rar
7.2 Mb

Changelog from website

1.   Add “amplitude correction editing functions”
2.   Add “input impedance switching function between 50? and 75?”
3.   Add “jpg format screenshot function”
4.   Add “Reset & Clear function”
5.   Fixed “problem of loading U disk is slow”
6. Separate the “File Type” into “View Type” and “Save Type” in the file menu.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »
There is also a new version of the EasySpectrum software available at

http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/Easyspectrum.rar

It is Version P.03.01 and does require the
FW version 100.01.02.07.07 on your SSA3000X spectrum analyzer.

We have not tried it out yet but it is said to include:
* Spectrum Monitor Function - 2D/3D display
* Supports TOI measurement
* Improved / Re-edited Help files

We will take a look at it this week.

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »
Dear Siglent,
Have you investigated the issue with a ghost frequency that Dave reported in his review video?
He could find a ghost frequency in the spectrum, that seemed to come from the internal electronics in the spectrum analyzer itself.

Siglent America

« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »
Dear Siglent,
Have you investigated the issue with a ghost frequency that Dave reported in his review video?
He could find a ghost frequency in the spectrum, that seemed to come from the internal electronics in the spectrum analyzer itself.

Hi Pascal_Sweden,

Are you referring to the spur at about 1 GHz that was around -138 dBm?
I just tried that here with the same setup conditions Dave had and got the same thing.

I will check with the spectrum analyzer engineering product manager and see what he can tell us about that.
Thanks.
Steve

Offline TeusTukker

« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »
There is a good chance Siglent are aware of this and you may have noticed the unit Dave did his EEVblog review with had FW version 7.06 installed. We have yet to see this version offered publicly however I'll point Siglent tech support to your post so we can get some idea if there is an outstanding LAN connection problem and when it will be fixed.
I updated my SSA to version 07.07, EasySpectrum to 03SP1, and the VISA drivers to 15.5 and it works now!  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:33:13 pm by TeusTukker »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
Internal spurious  are normal in many receivers, including spectrum analyzers.
Input related and also not input related spurs.

Here example from Rohde&Schwarz FSC
https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/FSC_dat-sw_en_5214-3330-22_v0200.pdf

Some characters can not show... if need, read pdf.
Image frequencies
fin – 2 × 21.4 MHz < –70 dBc, typ. –80 dBc
fin – 2 × 831.4 MHz < –70 dBc, typ. –90 dBc
fin – 2 × 4881 MHz –60 dBc
Intermediate frequencies
21.4 MHz, 831.4 MHz, 4881.4 MHz –60 dBc, typ. –80 dBc
8931.4 MHz –50 dBc

Other interfering signals,
signal level – RF attenuation < –20 dBm
f ? 3.6 GHz
spurious at fin – 2440.7 MHz < –60 dBc
3.6 GHz < f ? 6 GHz
spurious at fin – 4465.7 MHz < –60 dBc

Other interfering signals,
related to local oscillators
f ? 3.6 GHz
?f < 300 kHz –60 dBc
?f ? 300 kHz < –60 dBc
f > 3.6 GHz
?f < 300 kHz –54 dBc
?f ? 300 kHz < –54 dBc
f = receive frequency

Residual spurious response
input matched with 50 ohm,
without input signal, RBW < 30 kHz,
f ? 3 MHz, RF attenuation = 0 dB,
tracking generator = OFF
< –90 dBm

Siglent SSA3000X specifications

Residual response (= Residual spurious response)
input terminated = 50 ohm, attenuation = 0 dB
<-90 dBm,typ.

And afaik they are well below (better) than specified (typical) limit.

Just simplified, and there can be much more than just these named...
http://rf-design.blogspot.fi/2008/07/spectrum-analyzer-residual-spurious.html

Spectrum Analyzer Residual Spurious Response

When the RF input is terminated, the spectrum analyzer may still show discrete responses while the LO's are sweeping. This occurs because at certain LO frequencies, the harmonics of the first and second LO mix together forming a product that is equal to an IF frequency. If this "spurious" IF frequency gets into the IF path, the detector will see a signal and therefor the display will show a blip at the RF frequency where m*LO1-n*LO2 = +/-IF. IF can be any of the IF frequencies in the instrument.

Using Google there can find lot of reading for whole rest of life about spurs, in theory and in practice. Spectrum analyzer IS just one kind of heterodyne receiver.

Of course it is important to reduce these spurs as far as reasonable but if need really clean all we do not have enough money for buy these.

I can not see any serious issue in SSA3000Xrelated to internal spurs. But, user is good to know these scatter spur frequencies just as example 1540MHz, 1905MHz etc. Oh and 20nVrms level 1GHz in my test SA. Is it 10 fW (0.01pW)  in 50ohm system?

It is nice if Siglent can attenuate/reduce these but many times it is hard (and some times also hard core) rf-designers hardware work.
There is many other much more important things to do.

In all T&M instruments, all what you see are errors and lies mixed with illusions of reality.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:55:22 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline pherdie

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:43 am »
Re: New Firmware

Apparently no more system lock ups when manually adjusting the bandwidth!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:09 am »
Re: New Firmware

Apparently no more system lock ups when manually adjusting the bandwidth!
Thanks.
Please tell us more.....previous firmware? Was it an ongoing problem?

I don't think I've seen this problem mentioned before.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2016, 06:26:58 am »
This is why you don't use nice round frequencies like 100 MHz in your equipment.  :-DD 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2016, 08:31:19 am »
... issue with a ghost frequency that Dave reported in his review video?

What is small and what is big?
~0.3 attoWatt.  It is lot of. But also it is bit low...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:40:38 am by rf-loop »

Siglent America

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
Yes, RF-Loop is absolutely correct regarding spurious responses. I had responded before I stopped to check the specification. With a spec of <-90 dBm, this -138 dBm spur would fall well within limits. Most any generator, spectrum analyzer or other source of RF / microwave is going to have unwanted harmonic and non-harmonic related responses.
Checking other manufacturers' spectrum analyzers in this class shows other models having similar specifications for Residual / Non-Harmonic related spurs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf