Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 468948 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
For which you provided *no* information.  There is not much burden in stating what size tubing you used and other basic construction details.  Not handing out software I fully understand.  Not providing the dimensions of the airline I don't.

As you are unwilling to state the relevant dimensions, I stand by my comment.  You're a waste of time.  But..

Have Fun!
Reg

I'm out of here.

While I could pull apart the test setup, measure the parts, look up part numbers and suppliers and provide you with a BOM with simulation data, then reassemble the setup and get back to my projects.    Sure, maybe a half hour to sort all this out is all.    You may feel this time is not much burden on me and you deserve it but I value my time.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2019, 10:12:36 am »
Dear friend, I congratulate you for the work you did with that software. It makes it easier for us radio amateurs that we like to experience every day with all kinds of antennas!  In particular I like to manufacture HF and VHF antennas for me qth!  I wanted to ask you a question?  Do you have the software you made?  Or do you share it experimentally for radio amateurs?  why I wish I could have it installed on my PC!  I have the new version of NanoVNA-F 4: 3 inch screen!  Best regards from Lima Peru I leave my email to see if you can send me the software there!  oa4ldr@gmail.com a hug and greetings to all!  73s atte OA4LDR

At this time I have not released any software but check out https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users
There are a few people there making open source programs for the Nano.  I am not sure if they are an improvement over what was offered with the Nano.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:59 am »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2019, 03:34:17 pm »
After all, I done it  :-DMM

Here is TDR from S1P file that joeqsmith shared here:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:37:41 pm by radiolistener »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2019, 05:56:22 pm »
Nice.  Looking at the shape of the 25ohm section,  it seems right except that the width appears to be about 2X wider than I would expect.   It looks like you show a FWHH of about 5ns where I was thinking it should be about 2.5.   The start at 14ns also seems like it's double.    Keep in mind, this could very well be a problem on my side.  If you don't find anything obvious, let me know and I will double check my work. 

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #355 on: September 16, 2019, 06:27:30 pm »
I tested time axis by compare with Group Delay, it shows correct time.

Here is picture with better resolution for 25 ohm section.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:44:43 pm by radiolistener »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2019, 07:31:56 pm »
My guess is that you are looking at the round trip where I am trying to find the distance to the disturbance, so half that.   If that makes sense, I think we have the same numbers.  Of course, we both could be wrong.    :-DD

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »
Please, is this the latest NanoVNA Firmware?  Kernel: 4.0.0, Build time: May  5 2019 - 08:54:38
If not, I would appreciate knowing what the latest is.
Thank you in advance for any assistance, Ted

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: September 20, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
no, this is outdated version. You can find the latest version here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IRz6E1wlkRyV0u7sbqj0lhWST-GV1szY

The following users thanked this post: ted572

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #359 on: September 20, 2019, 08:35:23 pm »
no, this is outdated version. You can find the latest version here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IRz6E1wlkRyV0u7sbqj0lhWST-GV1szY
Thank you very much, Ted

Edit: Can you please advise which file here is for the latest NanoVNA Firmware.  I assume that it is NanoVNA_edy555_0.1.1.9.zip ???
With my firmware being dated May  5 2019 - 08:54:38, is it likely that the Hardware is the latest and/or also compactable with the current Firmware.  I'm asking because I just ordered this VNA and received it yesterday.  The first thing that I noticed is that the LEDs are Green, and NOT Blue.  So this was my motivation for checking on the current Firmware.

Thanks again for any assistance or advice, Ted
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:09:59 pm by ted572 »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2019, 10:18:02 pm »
Edit: Can you please advise which file here is for the latest NanoVNA Firmware.  I assume that it is

There are two ways to update firmware: DFU and ST-LINK. So, it depends on what method you're want to use.

1) DFU update. This is simple but not reliable way. If something will going wrong, you may brick your NanoVNA with this method and the only way to restore it is to update firmware with the second method. DFU method doesn't requires any special hardware and you can update it just through USB.

For DFU method, you will need the file with DFU extension: nanoVNA_900_ch_20190920.dfu

In order to upload it into NanoVNA you will need DfuSe software.

You will need to power-off your NanoVNA, connect USB to PC, short BOOT jumper with tweezers and power on NanoVNA. It will be booted in DFU mode. The display will be white. Now you can release BOOT jumper and then use DfuSE Demo tool to upload firmware file into NanoVNA.

2) ST-LINK update. This is native and reliable way. But it requires ST-LINKv2 dongle. This dongle allows to flash even bricked device and also allows to use in-circuit debugging.

For ST-LINK update, you will need the file with HEX or BIN (any of these) extension:  nanoVNA_900_ch_20190920.hex

In order to upload it into NanoVNA you will need ST-LINK Utility software.

You will need to connect ST-LINK to NanoVNA with 4 wires:
- 3.3V to VDD,
- GND to GND,
- SWDIO to SWDIO,
- SWCLK to SWCLK

There is no need to solder, you can just connect wires to the pads and press it with finger during upload. Then you will need to use ST-LINK Utility tool with the following memory parameters:
- Address: 0x08000000
- Size: 0x20000
- Data Width: 8 bits

I strongly recommend to save your current firmware before update. Just in case. Both software tools allows it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:42:04 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker, xrunner, ted572

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:27 pm »
With my firmware being dated May  5 2019 - 08:54:38, is it likely that the Hardware is the latest and/or also compactable with the current Firmware.

All existing hardware for NanoVNA is compatible with firmware. The LED color may be random, it depends on what LED color is installed by manufacturer.

For a new firmware you may need to install diode on the pcb in order to get working battery indicator. With no diode the battery indicator will always show empty battery.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:46:13 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: fpliuzzi, xrunner, ted572

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2019, 11:16:15 pm »
Hello radiolistener:  I sent a message to my EBay seller telling him that I want to return it for either a full refund, or a current replacement unit.  Because this one has obsolete Firmware, Green LEDs where they are normally Blue, and only 2 Traces are available where as it should be 4.

1) All devices that you may buy on the market has outdated firmware. If you want fresh firmware you're needs to update it by self. You cannot find device with fresh firmware on the market. The update process is pretty easy. Just click on the button "Choose" at the upgrade section of DfuSE Demo tool. And select file with firmware. That's it. Two mouse clicks and your firmware is updated.

2) All devices on the market have different LED color, there is no standard color. You can find exactly the same NanoVNA with red, blue or green LED. They all the same. Just random color of LED.

3) two traces come with old firmware. Just update it and you will have 4 traces. It takes for about 1-2 minutes. Nothing difficult.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:19:14 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: ted572

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »

1) All devices that you may buy on the market has outdated firmware. If you want fresh firmware you're needs to update it by self. You cannot find device with fresh firmware on the market. The update process is pretty easy. Just click on the button "Choose" at the upgrade section of DfuSE Demo tool. And select file with firmware. That's it. Two mouse clicks and your firmware is updated.

2) All devices on the market have different LED color, there is no standard color. You can find exactly the same NanoVNA with red, blue or green LED. They all the same. Just random color of LED.

3) two traces come with old firmware. Just update it and you will have 4 traces. It takes for about 1-2 minutes. Nothing difficult.
[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Great, that is good news.  I will go ahead and update the FW.  Tnx again

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:17 pm »

2) ST-LINK update. This is native and reliable way. But it requires ST-LINKv2 dongle. This dongle allows to flash even bricked device and also allows to use in-circuit debugging.

For ST-LINK update, you will need the file with HEX or BIN (any of these) extension:  nanoVNA_900_ch_20190920.hex

Thanks for the tutorial radiolistener, I am getting a NanoVNA soon and I just ordered the ST-Link according to your instructions so I can get the firmware updated as needed.

:-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2019, 11:53:50 pm »
OK Great, that is good news.  I will go ahead and update the FW.  Tnx again

Before update, save your current firmware. Just in case if you will want to rollback to old one.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: September 21, 2019, 01:41:00 am »
Hello radiolistener:  I just removed my NanoVNA's bottom cover to locate the 'Boot Jumper'.  I found it, although the label for it is under a white nylon plug for the Battery (that I haven't seen on any other unit's in the YouTubes(?)).  But the big thing I noticed is that there are no Internal Shields on my PCB as all the other units have (as shown here in the picture from a YouTube).  Again my unit has no shielding where you see it here.  This seems potentially serious(?).  What do you think?   Ted

Edit: I added a picture below of my unit without any shields.

So now of course I wonder if I have a  1. Older unit, 2. Newer unit,  3. Unfinished Older unit, or 4. Unfinished Newer unit?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:06:16 am by ted572 »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: September 21, 2019, 03:42:42 am »
So now of course I wonder if I have a  1. Older unit, 2. Newer unit,  3. Unfinished Older unit, or 4. Unfinished Newer unit?
It is pretty close to the layout of the one I have.

The shielding problem is easily fixed.

Just buy some thin shim brass. You can cut it with scissors (as long as it is not someone's prized sewing scissors!) and it is pretty cheap. A dollar or two. Any machinist supply shop or ebay has it.

The bigger shield is in two parts - I have attached a photo.

Richard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: September 21, 2019, 04:23:08 am »
I had upgraded the firmware when I first received the Nano but it had a few problems.   One in particular was causing me some problem where every now an then, the data was corrupt.    When I wrote my software, I was seeing the problem more frequently than with their software.   

Basically, it seems the firmware could be running a sweep at the same time they were dumping the data and it would corrupt the packet.   Throttling the data rates helps which may be why they chose to run the supplied software so slow.    Even with slower rates, there were modes I could get the firmware into where it was very unreliable.   If I pushed it too hard, the screen would go white and require a power cycle. 

If seems that the person creating the firmware was aware of this problem and changed how the unit handles the messages.  I have spent several hours testing the new firmware and it has yet to glitch.  These tests were with my software running unimpeded.   The screen updates are faster now.  They also added some very nice features to the new firmware.   Well worth the time to upgrade.   

I'm not sure if they have added any new commands but it seems compatible with my software and I am guessing it's backwards compatible.    I wonder if they did not also correct the screen artifacts as I haven't noticed it since the upgrade.   

I also designed this simple driver to control that old Transco transfer relay I had.  The relay is a latching type that runs from 28V.   So the board is a DC-DC boost converter and a couple of one-shots made out of a hex inverter.   It just runs from the same FTDI TTL cable.  This relay works really well.   Isolation is no longer a problem.  They are fairly common in the used market for under $100.  PN is 700C70200.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #369 on: September 21, 2019, 11:41:03 am »
There is fixed spike at 300 MHz for measurements in the latest firmware.

Also now it allows to measure up to 1500 MHz. It has higher error above 1200 MHz, but still can be used for antenna tuning.

Also added battery indicator. It shows empty battery, if you want to use it, you're needs to install diode on the pcb. See picture above.

Also I hear that there is added command which allows to get raw data with any desired point count, but with no calibration. It can be used for measurements on PC with custom calibration process. But I'm not sure if this command is present in this firmware (didn't test it yet), may be it will be available in the next release.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: September 21, 2019, 11:47:14 am »

I know about this version. People install home made shielding and it works the same as other units. But no shielding may affect measurement results.

So, you can ask partial refund for missing shielding and make it self. This version even better, because it has continuous shielding pads around mixers area, while old units have just small pads (it leads to worse shielding).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:49:23 am by radiolistener »

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #371 on: September 21, 2019, 12:37:18 pm »
I received the following link from the seller of my NanoVNA: https://github.com/ttrftech/NanoVNA?tdsourcetag=s_pcqq_aiomsg
I don't see how he would think that this would be of any interest to me, but perhaps it is to a software guy(?).  Its a public post, so probably nothing new to those that follow this web site.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: September 21, 2019, 01:03:50 pm »
I have yet to try running it above 900M.  The calibration would not be a problem as I do this with the PC.  Running a T-check above 500MHz even with the higher quality Transco relay doesn't yield good results.  I have a few filters that work in that 900M to 1.5G region that I'll try with it. 

I'll look into their higher resolution scanning.   I had just assumed this was a limit due to the hardware.  I assume it proportionally slows down the scans but it may be faster than my segmented scanning. 

For now I am more interested in seeing them fix some of the problems.   After watching the Nano's display, it appears the artifacts (left over segments from a previous scan) are still there.  However, the new firmware continues to be glitch free.   By far, this was the best change IMO they made to the firmware.     

The unit I have always had a problem at 300MHz.  Above 300 the results are pretty much what you would expect from a $50 unit.   

Showing data I had collected using the July firmware compared with with the Sep release.  The data was collected using the same cables and 50 ohm load.    Note that the instability around the 300MHz is reduced.   

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: September 21, 2019, 01:11:24 pm »
I'll look into their higher resolution scanning.   I had just assumed this was a limit due to the hardware.  I assume it proportionally slows down the scans but it may be faster than my segmented scanning.

the new command doesn't apply calibration to the result. It returns just a raw measurements. You're needs to calculate calibration coefficients and apply it on the PC.

The unit I have always had a problem at 300MHz.  Above 300 the results are pretty much what you would expect from a $50 unit.   

My unit also had a high spike at 300 MHz. With the latest firmware from 20 september it is fixed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: September 21, 2019, 01:38:03 pm »

the new command doesn't apply calibration to the result. It returns just a raw measurements. You're needs to calculate calibration coefficients and apply it on the PC.

From my previous post:
The calibration would not be a problem as I do this with the PC.

This is how I was able to use the transfer relay to perform full 2-port measurements.   As I stated, it's really no problem.   The attached pictures show an interdigital filter being swept above 900M.   Seems to work.  I'll play with it more later.

My unit also had a high spike at 300 MHz. With the latest firmware from 20 september it is fixed.

From your previous post,
There is fixed spike at 300 MHz for measurements in the latest firmware.
I interpreted fixed to mean recurring or stationary at 300M, not meaning they improved it.    Good to know that your unit also shows improvements.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:41:46 pm by joeqsmith »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf