Author Topic: changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide  (Read 1302264 times)

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
Re: changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide
« Reply #825 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »
Sorry I don't have that information, only three months of sales, I have to say looking at the data again, I was wrong with the ratio's. I did it from memory I think I got confused with the DS1052D figures

DS1052 to DS1152 ratio is in fact closer to 5:1

Here are the actual sale figures from one of the largest distributor. The data I have also indicates what dates these scopes were ordered from Rigol and other information that I don't think I should release, or-though Rigol has not said I cant do so.

(Cant get the spacing right on this)
DS1052E   DS1102E   DS1052D   DS1102D   DG1022 Others
210            43            12            18              127         24

This of course is only one distributor in Europe, what their total sales figure are, i have no idea.

I had no data about other manufacturers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:07:19 pm by dimlow »

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2011, 06:52:24 pm »
Hey guys,

Just oredered a DS1052E from Germany, should be delivered in 2-3 days. I am not sure which firmware it will be delivered with but I hope I can do the hack!

Has anyone tried the hack with a recent purchace? would be nice to know!
EMBEDONIX - Embedded Systems, Linux and good stuff!

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #827 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
@sean87

Did you buy from Batronix?  I just bought from them - and although the hack is likely possible, it would void your 3 year warranty - which sort of defeats the purpose of buying in the EU.

I'm actually in communication with them now about the flickering screen bug problem in the latest firmware (02.05 SP2).  They contacted Rigol, and Rigol responded with:
 >>> This is a known problem, and we will improve it in the new firmware.
 >>> Currently this new firmware has not been released and I am not sure the exact data.

I'm finding this bug especially annoying, and I've asked if they can downgrade the firmware for me to 02.04 SP1.

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #828 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:19 am »
@sean87

Did you buy from Batronix?  I just bought from them - and although the hack is likely possible, it would void your 3 year warranty - which sort of defeats the purpose of buying in the EU.

I'm actually in communication with them now about the flickering screen bug problem in the latest firmware (02.05 SP2).  They contacted Rigol, and Rigol responded with:
 >>> This is a known problem, and we will improve it in the new firmware.
 >>> Currently this new firmware has not been released and I am not sure the exact data.

I'm finding this bug especially annoying, and I've asked if they can downgrade the firmware for me to 02.04 SP1.

Yeah I bought mine also from there. On the second tough I wont try upgrading unless I really need to measure something that needs the extra bandwidth. I think they have 30 days return policy you didn't use it?

But for the hack...I saw in Dave's video that he completly undo the hack. It is possible right?? so how can they find it out?

Thanks for reply.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #829 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:33 am »
I think they have 30 days return policy you didn't use it?

Well, I wrote them an email mentioning that I might return it (I still have about 2 weeks of the 30 days) if they can't find a fix for me.

.I saw in Dave's video that he completly undo the hack. It is possible right?? so how can they find it out?

Yes, supposedly the hack is undoable, as long as the electronics are functioning correctly - but if something goes wrong with the scope which makes it impossible to undo the hack, you've screwed the warranty - because they will see during servicing that the serial numbers are changed.

My plan was just to wait - at least one year or so into the warranty - before trying it.  I would also replace the fan with a low noise one at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:15:10 am by marmad »

Offline aXit

• Contributor
« Reply #830 on: July 23, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »

I bought one from dealextreme just last week (arrived in 8 days from order too). Successfully did the upgrade. I was careful with all the checksums, but apart from that, just followed the guide.

Mine came with 2.05 SP2, Hardware version 58.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #831 on: July 23, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »
Do you have the screen flicker issue?  Or the increase system noise issue?  See the thread of A Hellene about a 'nasty surprise' on his new Rigol.

I bought one from dealextreme just last week (arrived in 8 days from order too). Successfully did the upgrade. I was careful with all the checksums, but apart from that, just followed the guide.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline aXit

• Contributor
« Reply #832 on: July 24, 2011, 04:36:54 am »
I'm not sure what the screen flicker issue was, but maybe. Probably about 5-6 times in 3 hours of use, I saw the screen flash white for half a secound out of the corner of my eye. Never saw it while looking directly at it though. Haven't had the issue with the 2.04 SP2 yet, but that's only seen about half an hour's use so far.

No significant system noise, background noise is around 500uVpp when on 2mV range. Nothing like A Hellene. USB +5V noise is at ~94MHz 100mVpp.

Offline jason695

« Reply #833 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »
hi everyone,

i have red quite a few of the discussions changing ds1052e to ds1102e.

i'd just like to ask please, has anyone actually tested the succesfully hacked ds1052e at around full banwidth frequencies. Actually test it at say, 100mhz and see what happens in non averaged mode. Has anyone provided a vid of testing at theses frequencies.

thnks,
henry.

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #834 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »

Hi, My scope came yesterday with firmware 2.05 SP2. It does not have flicker issue or I haven't notice it. How can I check for my hardware version? Can you please say which guide you did follow for the mod? would be nice if you can tell me the summary of the mod you did.

Thanks.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #835 on: July 27, 2011, 04:30:16 pm »
My scope came yesterday with firmware 2.05 SP2. It does not have flicker issue or I haven't notice it. How can I check for my hardware version? Can you please say which guide you did follow for the mod? would be nice if you can tell me the summary of the mod you did.

You see HW version by:Utility -> System Info -> Press CH1 twice -> Press CH2 twice -> Press MATH once.  Make sure you press RUN/STOP to leave screen.

Step-by step instructions for the mod on page 1 of this thread.

But before you hack, you might try this software from me to test for flicker.  I am returning my scope to Batronix and getting Hantek because they (and Rigol) do not fix this bug.

Download: http://www.turbidmedia.com/share/rrm_1_1.zip - you need VISA driver (from here or Rigol website) and USB cable installed to run the software - make sure you have signals present on both channels (you can use calibration square wave) and that the scope is running (RUN/STOP green).

Then, in PC software, select ALL measurements (top check box) from both channels, put POLLING SPEED slider all the way to the left (fastest), then click RUN/STOP. On my scope, this causes the screen to flash very often. It demonstrates that this FW has a bad refresh problem.

From Rigol email:

"I just discussed this problem with R&D, this is resulted from the BUS
conflict, and can not be avoid.
But we will release a new firmware recently, which can improve it.
Thank you very much for your feedback, thank you!"

But this FW has already been out a long time.

I bought this scope from Batronix in order to avoid warranty issues - but if they can't deal with this - and I would have to downgrade the firmware myself, then I might as buy from China and save € 25 - 50.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:49:24 pm by marmad »

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #836 on: July 27, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »
Thanks marmad, I will check for flicker tonight and report back!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #837 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:17 pm »
Mine came with HW58 and 2.05 sp2, and I did not notice any flickering in the 15 minutes I had it this way. I then downgraded, hacked to 1152-EDU and then back to 2.04 sp1. I used the scope this way for a while with no noticeable flickering. I then tried to use 2.05 sp2 and when doing certain things I would see flickering occasionally. The flickering is more than just an annoyance. If you are letting the scope run and waiting for a specific triggered event and it keeps flickering, you keep looking to see what has just happened. It became the "scope that cried WOLF" and I "downgraded" back to 20.4 sp1 and have not noticed any problems like this since.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #838 on: July 27, 2011, 05:39:26 pm »
The flickering is more than just an annoyance. If you are letting the scope run and waiting for a specific triggered event and it keeps flickering, you keep looking to see what has just happened. It became the "scope that cried WOLF" and I "downgraded" back to 20.4 sp1 and have not noticed any problems like this since.

Yes, this seems to be what everyone is reporting.  I could just downgrade the scope myself, but I paid extra to get it through a European dealer - so if I void the warranty immediately, what was the point for paying extra and not buying on eBay?  Just to make sure it wasn't DOA?

I really think Rigol should fix this problem fast - or at least offer a downgrade path for customers who buy through their authorized dealers.  But their response is:

>> This is a known problem, and we will improve it in the new firmware.
 >> Currently this new firmware has not been released and I am not sure the exact data.

and

>> Currently, the DS1000E can not be downgraded. For this problem, I hope it
>> can be solved in the next firmware.

and

>> I just discussed this problem with R&D, this is resulted from the BUS
>> conflict, and can not be avoid.
>> But we will release a new firmware recently, which can improve it.
>> Thank you very much for your feedback, thank you!

Notice they use the word 'improve' - and not 'fix'.

So either:
a) They can't or don't want to release a simple downgrade firmware to resolve the issue.
b) There is a technical reason why previous FW versions should not be used.

In any case, I'm jumping ship to the Hantek or Owon.  You can currently get the Owon (100MHz - 1GSs - 10Mbit sample depth - 8" 800x600 display - quiet fan - optional battery pack - plus VGA output to monitor) for ~ € 80 more than what the Rigol DS1052E costs.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:47:06 pm by marmad »

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #839 on: July 27, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »
OK, I did what you asked, I noticed flickering like 5 times in 10 minutes in very random times. here is a video, just one flick I could capture. The first channel is connected to my own made square form generator, second channel is on scopes square generator.

So do you think I also have your scopes problem and should consider going to that owon you mentioned?

Also how to have both channels triggred?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:00:12 pm by sean87 »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2011, 06:33:11 pm »
I noticed flickering like 5 times in 10 minutes in very random times.

That's not too bad - mine is even worse.

So do you think I also have your scopes problem and should consider going to that owon you mentioned?

Yes, you have the problem (I think everyone with FW 02.05 SP2 have it) but, as mentioned in other posts, if you are planning to hack right away, you can stay with FW 02.04 SP1 - which doesn't seem to have the problem.  For me, I bought the scope here in Europe because I wasn't planning to hack it right now (maybe after a year or so of warranty support) - so I don't really want to put up with the bug; as mentioned in Lightages post - it's more than annoying when waiting for signals.

As I started to read more about other scopes recently, I realized that the Rigol, as good a deal as it remains, is rather old (and overdriven - they overclock their ADCs) technology -- and I believe it's also possible that they might have recently started cutting corners slightly to make more money - since after the hack became published they are selling more and more DS1052Es and less DS1102Es - so they are making less scopes which have to fulfill the 100MHz bandwidth capability.

So I think I will spend € 70 - 100 more and get something with better specs than a hacked 100MHz Rigol - and with newer technology (bigger screens, more memory depth, etc.)  But it all comes down to budget, eh?  ;)

Also how to have both channels triggred?

Trigger Menu -> Mode -> Alternate

Offline jason695

« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:17 pm »
hi everyone,

just aking some general questions around the 50 to 100 mhz conversion.

does anyone know where to get the 2.02, 204 & 2.05 firmware. rigol do have it on their site now.

so is it right that latest hadrware is 58 & firmare is now ver 3. with these its now absolutely impossible to do the mod?

any replies thanks.
jase

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »
hi everyone,

just aking some general questions around the 50 to 100 mhz conversion.

does anyone know where to get the 2.02, 204 & 2.05 firmware. rigol do have it on their site now.
http://picturehosting.verhey.org/rigol/DS1052Eupgr_tools.zip

so is it right that latest hadrware is 58 & firmare is now ver 3. with these its now absolutely impossible to do the mod?

Whoa! You have a version 3??? I don't think I've seen anyone with that yet. Can you verify the full version string by pressing "ch1" twice, then "ch2" twice then "math" once from the system info screen please?

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:55 pm »
I have been scratching my head since yesterday. I could not find a proper guide to do the hack for "2.05 SP2" and HW version 58. In the first page there is no section for 2.05 SP2, would be nice if somone have done mod for this firmware make a small summary here.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »
@sean87

All of the tools for the hack are in this link - in well-marked folders:

You just follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread; basically:  downgrade to FW 02.02 - change serial number with Shafri's tool - then upgrade back to FW 02.04 or FW 02.05 - then re-calibrate.  Just make sure you doublecheck your cable connections and verify checksums on copied firmware files before you put them in the Rigol - you don't want an expensive brick.

It's all spelled-out pretty well on page 1.

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #845 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:45 am »
@sean87

All of the tools for the hack are in this link - in well-marked folders:

You just follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread; basically:  downgrade to FW 02.02 - change serial number with Shafri's tool - then upgrade back to FW 02.04 or FW 02.05 - then re-calibrate.  Just make sure you doublecheck your cable connections and verify checksums on copied firmware files before you put them in the Rigol - you don't want an expensive brick.

It's all spelled-out pretty well on page 1.

Thanks, I am almost ready to take the risk :D I think it is maddness but yeah I am going to do it!

So can you confirm the following steps? (Well if my scope turned to a brick I will not blame anyone!)
- I have to downgrade using the file in this folder "Downgrade_2.05SP2_to_2.02SP2"
- I use the sharfi's tool and hit the upgrade button
- I upgrade back to 02.05 SP2 again (this is my current firmware which scope came with)
- I recalibrate the scope
- I will be happy or mad :P

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #846 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:23 am »
So can you confirm the following steps?

Yep, those are the steps.

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #847 on: July 28, 2011, 11:46:18 am »
First, before anything else, install the visa runtime, reboot the computer if necessary and make sure your scope can talk to your computer using Ultrascope (came with your scope on the CD or get it here: http://www.picturehosting.verhey.org/rigol/Ultrascope_for_DS1000E_Series.exe ). Once you have done this, you can disconnect the scope, reboot it, and proceed.

Also, check the MD5 hash of each file on the memory stick each and every time you copy the next firmware version to the stick. Never have more than one firmware file on the stick at any one time.

You can reinstall 2.05 SP2 if that's what you really want. However, it appears that 2.05 SP2 may cause or aggravate the screen flicker issue. There is no known benefit to 2.05 SP2 over 2.04 SP1. AFAIK, the only reason Rigol released firmware after 2.04 SP1 was to try and defeat this hack, and they introduced a new bug in the process. I personally (and many others) find 2.04 SP1 to be the best version available (unless jason695 really does have a version 3 -- I don't know what they may have done there!!)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #848 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »
First, before anything else, install the visa runtime

He has VISA driver installed - as evidenced by him running my software in video above - which needs the driver.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #849 on: July 28, 2011, 02:43:03 pm »
First, before anything else, install the visa runtime, reboot the computer if necessary and make sure your scope can talk to your computer using Ultrascope
using "sharfi tool" you can press the "check rigol model & serial" button. if the textbox next to it showing some usefull info without error or terminated, then its a simple indication you have visa installed correctly.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf