Author Topic: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread  (Read 436524 times)

Offline Maxxpower

Re: FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread
« Reply #925 on: January 18, 2020, 07:06:57 pm »
Top image is E4, bottom image is E4+ I do see in the Flir Tools that the IR resolution is 320x240 in the newer images so that's good...I guess I was just expecting a bigger improvement in image quality. There is now a Chinese camera on Amazon for ~550USD that comes with 320x240 IR resolution so not sure this hacking is worth the trouble anymore :(

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #926 on: January 18, 2020, 07:27:44 pm »
The E4 remains an excellent performer. Remember that it is equipped with a fixed focus lens so taking pictures at close range of a PCB normally requires the use of a close-up lens as detailed on this forum or adjustment of the E4 lens focus with a 3D printed tool. The second image is nowhere near the image quality that I get from my E4. Something is not right in that image. There is normally a massive difference in the change from 80 x60 pixels to 320 x 240 pixel resolution. Just look at peoples pictures from upgraded E4 cameras on this forum.

Try imaging something like a hot cup of water and a piece of electronics with air vents. That should show the thermal detail available. Switch off the MSX and ensure that you are far enough away from the target to have decent focus. Regarding many Chinese offerings...... I advise caution as they can be a very mixed bag and are not normally in the same league as a good FLIR camera (The FLIR One is not such a camera !)

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:31:21 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #927 on: January 18, 2020, 07:39:01 pm »
Judging on the spot cursor size the second image was taken at x2 or x4 zoom.  Switch to x1 zoom, take a shot, press the Archive button on the camera, open the image and see what Thermal Resolution property says.

Edit: yup, just noticed x2 right in the second image top.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #928 on: January 18, 2020, 07:52:03 pm »
Also as Fraser said, E4 is not well suitable for close up imaging. There are settings in the liberated E4 that reduce MSX alignment to as short distance as 10cm but in general E4 minimum distance to the test object is about 60cm.

Offline Maxxpower

« Reply #929 on: January 18, 2020, 07:55:25 pm »
Here are a few more 1X pictures, I cropped out the PCB logo in one of them ;)
My MSX settings only goes down to 0.3M
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:00:23 pm by Maxxpower »

Offline Maxxpower

« Reply #930 on: January 18, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
Can someone link a good zoom lens to buy?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #931 on: January 18, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Those are good 320x240 images.

Offline Maxxpower

« Reply #932 on: January 18, 2020, 10:36:36 pm »
Thank you all for your help :) I understand now the difference between the IR resolution and image resolution.

Offline Marekx89

• Contributor
« Reply #933 on: January 19, 2020, 09:10:17 am »
@Bud, thanks for info and  a little notice about all. I have a E6 (modded to E8). All Ex series are more or less the same, so I ask things about E6 (E8) in this thread. But I was intrigued by this
Code: [Select]
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:197580 and this
Code: [Select]
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:407201. I'm not quite sure about Focus adjuster. What exactly does that mean? and the other lens holder is for what?

Thanks for answers.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #934 on: January 19, 2020, 10:43:04 am »
I'm not quite sure about Focus adjuster. What exactly does that mean? and the other lens holder is for what?

Thanks for answers.

Focus adjuster is a tool to allow you to focus the camera lens.  With that you can rotate the camera lens, undo for closer focus.  Use of scissors or pliers is not recommended, hence these tools.

Lens holder holds an additional lens to give a close focus depending on the lens used.
I assume it is for one of the common ZnSe single element lenses available on eBay.

Bill

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #935 on: January 20, 2020, 02:58:50 am »
This is the lens holder I am using (3D printed at a local shop). The lens is from eBay, I believe it was 75mm focal distance.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #936 on: January 20, 2020, 03:02:35 am »
@Bud, thanks for info and  a little notice about all. I have a E6 (modded to E8). All Ex series are more or less the same, so I ask things about E6 (E8) in this thread.

I do not have an E6 and, not being able to test/replicate issues on one,  I will not be responding to such questions.

The following users thanked this post: maicoalvim

Offline Marekx89

• Contributor
« Reply #937 on: January 20, 2020, 03:26:41 pm »
@Bud, thanks for info and  a little notice about all. I have a E6 (modded to E8). All Ex series are more or less the same, so I ask things about E6 (E8) in this thread.

I do not have an E6 and, not being able to test/replicate issues on one,  I will not be responding to such questions.

all Ex series are more or less the same, so I don't understand a bit why such a reaction due to E6 when it is similar ...

Offline lou

« Reply #938 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:54 pm »

all Ex series are more or less the same, so I don't understand a bit why such a reaction due to E6 when it is similar ...

I can report that I was able to liberate my E5 2.0 with 3.16.0.  I used the files at: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1397359/#msg1397359 The instructions are in the read me files.   Post 788 has the file for the updated common_dll 3.16 instead of the one in the pack.  The hardest part was using python in step 7.  It was all about getting the correct directory selected to run python and generate the new conf.cfc.  I did not find in necessary to edit the config.cfg file to change E4 to E5. 
Thanks and KUDOS to Bud and all the other contributors.

Lou

The following users thanked this post: maicoalvim

Offline abakis

« Reply #939 on: February 08, 2020, 11:59:52 am »
I was able to successfully (liberate) turn an E4 2.0L 3.16.0 WIFI toy I recently (2/4/20) purchased from Amazon into a tool following Lou's research (post #938) on Bud's much appreciated contributions. It may have been a mistake only I'll see the benefit of, but I ordered the non-wifi version and received the wifi version when I purchased.

I've done some programming and have used Linux on my old machines since the late 90s, so I wouldn't consider myself as an average user, but I've never really used python before and fully agree step 7 took the most time for me. I ended up installing python 2.7.0 to the same directory I had my .cfg file in to make it work. It took me a little less than 3hrs to complete, but it was definitely worth it. I've attached before/after MSX images to show an example of the improvement.

I'll definitely be donating to support the cause.

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 for the install.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:33:35 am by abakis »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: February 08, 2020, 04:33:30 pm »
You may have better picture quality if you simply copy the images from the camera to your computer, not importing into Flir software, which postprocesses pictures and as a result washes them out and puts the logo back.

The following users thanked this post: abakis

Offline craig penfold

« Reply #941 on: February 08, 2020, 09:36:41 pm »
Hi bud. Thanks to you and all that have made the mods to the E4 possible. I have had one issue with the Christmas pack update. I could not see the preset icons 1 and 2 in the main preset selection menu. The update had removed the delta presets but not replaced them with the new 1 and 2 user preset icons. I could set measurement presets in the editing menu then click save and it would take me back to the main screen with the user preset visible on screen and ready to use. But once I selected another preset it would dissappear until I repeated the process. I do have the E5 non wifi with 2.0L  3.12 so it may be because it was not tested on this model. The fix I had to apply was editing the toolbar-config.xml file. By adding 2 lines to the measurement menu.
I added these 2 lines
<Toolbar name="measure_user_1"/>
<Toolbar name="measure_user_2"/>
Hopefully if anyone else has had this issue then this will help fix it. I have also found that when you have entered the user preset menu and it's the  black screen background, if you turn the camera to standby and then back on the ir screen is visible to help set the presets you need.

The following users thanked this post: Bud, bdeianov, abakis, Dai, nike75, davith, bilok

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #942 on: February 10, 2020, 05:21:02 am »
Great tips, thank you !

Offline duburban

« Reply #943 on: February 11, 2020, 04:26:18 pm »
Hey all, Just joined to check in on this E4 upgrade hack.

With years having past is this hack aging well?

Is there any reason to buy a Flir E8 over a hacked E4?

I'm ready to buy my first imager, all help appreciated,

daviduburke@gmail.com

Thanks

Offline abakis

« Reply #944 on: February 12, 2020, 03:56:14 am »
Post #941 by craig penfold helped me get the Christmas Pack acceptably functional on an E4 2.0L 3.16.0 wifi - the user defined functions are great for my use so I really appreciate that. After I installed the Christmas Pack I lost a bunch of measurement choices (more than I expected to lose) and was left with far less Measurement choices than I had with the advanced pack:
1. No measurements
2. Center spot
3. Hot spot
4. Cold spot

After following craig penfold's guidance, I fiddled around with the toolbar-config.xml file and old conf.cfg file (duplicating what appeared to be higher max measurement counts in the conf.cfg from the Basic pack before running the python script on the Advanced pack). I first thought that the amount of Measurement choices was limiting the amount Measurement choices available via the menu, so I went into the toolbar-config.xml file and put in nav groups like I saw in the palettes to add a second line or selections and although it wasn't successful for my aims, I did get two lines in the Measurement sub-menu - this minor tidbit may help someone (although it seems self-evident to anyone digging like I was) moving forward so I shared. See the attached jpg if you're curious on that note. I ultimately removed this modification in the end.

Long story short, although I'll admit I could've easily made a mistake in following instruvtions I ended up with the following Measurement choices on a Flir E4 2.0L 3.16.0 wifi model after applying the basic, advanced, and Christmas packs:

1. Basic - flawless with 3.16.0 common_dll.dll file.
2. Advanced - apparently flawless (although short-lived on my camera, so I may have missed something) following instructions included in the pack.
3. Christmas - lost several measurement options, but gained user presets only accessible from fiddling with the settings menu presets section.
4. Christmas plus craig penfold's additional lines - have the following (with seemingly fully functional preset items available for a selection):
      1. No measurements
      2. Center spot
      3. Hot spot
      4. Cold spot
      5. User preset 1
      6. User preset 2

(Color) Palette options:
      1. Iron
      2. Rainbow
      3. Rainbow high contrast
      4. Medical
      5. White hot
      6. Black hot
      7. Arctic
      8. Lava
      9. Above alarm
      10. Below alarm
      11. Interval alarm
      12. Condensation alarm
      13. Insulation alarm

I'll also note "Object distance:" has been added to the Image mode sub-menu, and I now have "Time lapse" + "Sport" added to Recording mode. The settings menu has almost too much added to note.

Overall, very pleased with the results. I can make presets that replace just about any of the measurements I lost easily, except for the 5 spots along a straight line which was limited in usefulness for my purposes anyway. When setting presets, the IR and optical images are fully blacked out for what it’s worth. Also, I did the telnet “stopapp” command where the 2nd entry always seemed to do the trick, powered off and pulled the battery prior to checking all results after updating.

As for the recent question as to whether the E4 is worth purchasing over the E8 with the “aged” packs, I can’t say I’ve tried an E8, but it seems to me the E4 is still the viable budget choice.

The following users thanked this post: bdeianov, Dai, Narkoa, Tolek

Offline pds

« Reply #945 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:37 pm »
Hi, first post - Just wanted to thank Bud, Fraser for sharing. Successfully upgraded Flir E5-xt model 2.1L firmware 3.16.0.    :-+

The following users thanked this post: bdeianov, sitongec, Tolek

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #946 on: February 17, 2020, 11:17:08 pm »
This is Buds work  :-+

No thanks are due to me  ;)

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline sitongec

« Reply #947 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:11 am »
Hi, first post - Just wanted to thank Bud, Fraser for sharing. Successfully upgraded Flir E5-xt model 2.1L firmware 3.16.0.    :-+
Really? What method do you use? Thank you

Offline pds

« Reply #948 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:49 am »
Hi sitongec,

Used WiFi only on Windows 10. 

Then used the Basic then Advanced Package for E4 WiFi 2.0L, fw v3.12.0 from BUD's post #478.  Didn't use the common _dll though; used the common_dll_3.16.0 from BUD's post #788.

Just downloaded the ZIPs and followed the readme file.  One thing that might help is just remember to put the python file and config file in the same location as python is installed - in my case the C drive.  Run PowerShell as Admin to run the python script.

The Christmas pack that BUD posted works also.

Offline sitongec

« Reply #949 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:30 am »
Hi sitongec,

Used WiFi only on Windows 10. 

Then used the Basic then Advanced Package for E4 WiFi 2.0L, fw v3.12.0 from BUD's post #478.  Didn't use the common _dll though; used the common_dll_3.16.0 from BUD's post #788.

Just downloaded the ZIPs and followed the readme file.  One thing that might help is just remember to put the python file and config file in the same location as python is installed - in my case the C drive.  Run PowerShell as Admin to run the python script.

The Christmas pack that BUD posted works also.
HI PDS

Thank you very much for your useful reply. I'm ready to use your method to update my E5. Thank you and BUD again.

Best regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf