Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 782196 times)

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2016, 10:30:57 pm »
HP8711B .3 through 1300 MHz network analyzer for $300.00 plus shipping - however it doesn't turn on. So it will either be a great score, or a big paperweight.
Seller had it listed for $650 or best offer, thought I'd throw out a cheeky $300.00 and it was instantly accepted. It is always good to have a stack of projects waiting.
VE7FM

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2016, 12:44:28 am »
That is a good price, Steve. Hopefully, you can get it working without too much trouble.

As for stacks of projects, I think I'm doing too well in that department. Oy! :-/O
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2016, 02:04:26 am »
One day, I hope to get a spectrum analyzer and a network analyzer.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2016, 06:16:40 am »
One day, I hope to get a spectrum analyzer and a network analyzer.

If you think you can fix one keep your eye on ebay. It helps if you happen to have a friend in the area who might already have test equipment. And I'd try to find one where the problem is likely power supply related. Then you have a pretty good chance of the RF portion being good once you fix the power supply problem. Troubleshooting RF problems generally requires lots of other RF goodies.
VE7FM

Online cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2016, 10:22:04 pm »
I got a really, really nice HP 8648C signal generator with the high stability timebase for $600.  The guy told me they bought it new years ago and was never used.  It is scratched on the trim ring from storage but otherwise perfect.  I know $600 is a lot for a 'score' but these things are still pretty pricey. The guy said he's had 5 calls for it after mine and true to his word, he held if for me while I was out of town.  Picked it up yesterday and tested it and it seems to be perfectly calibrated.

Jerry

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2016, 02:32:19 am »
Swap meet find:

Simpson 260 series 6XLPM for 2 dollars. Needle was bent slightly towards the scale so it would not move. Gave the needle a light pull away from the scale to straighten it and all is good.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2016, 05:01:18 am »
$2 for a 260 XLPM! Good score.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2016, 06:43:19 pm »
Shnagged it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361511912370

By the way, spot the difference:

Specs are identical, too. Test/Review:

https://gruending.net/2010/01/meterman-ct238-current-probe/

Anyone know the OEM?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:45:18 pm by mos6502 »
for(;;);

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2016, 07:23:34 pm »
Shnagged it:

Anyone know the OEM?
Teardown time?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »
Shnagged it:

Anyone know the OEM?

Sure, once it arrives. Could take a few days to Germany. :scared:

Anyway, I did some googling and it turns out Fluke simply bought Wavetek. Mystery solved. Interestingly, the same clamp is also sold under the Amprobe brand (another Danaher subsidiary) with identical specs as the CT238A, for $60 less than the Fluke i30.
for(;;);

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2016, 10:30:55 pm »
Shnagged it: ......

That reminds me of the i410 AC/DC current clamp I got for a whopping $25.

Battery terminals were broken!

Fixed and works really well too.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2016, 10:57:46 pm »
Shnagged it: ......

That reminds me of the i410 AC/DC current clamp I got for a whopping $25.

Battery terminals were broken!

Fixed and works really well too.

Pretty cool. :-+ A clamp in that range is next on my list. Although the i410 has the worst specs of all the Fluke ones and is the only one that doesn't have a Wavetek equivalent. I think it's part of Fluke's strategy to come up with their own designs and have them produced in China. Like how the old probes and leads were made by Pomona and the new ones are made in China. Here's a teardown:

for(;;);

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2016, 02:19:28 am »
My score today is not test equipment, but it's related. Maybe these will end up powering my test gear?

20160331 Thur

Being given 8 big solar panels

I walked the few houses up to the shops to get milk for my breakfast this morning. On the way back, there was a van parked almost directly opposite my house. A guy was loading what were obviously old solar panels into the van, with a couple still leaning against the front street fence still to go in the van.
Ladder against a house there, shiny new panels on the roof.

On the principle 'grasp potential opportunities in the moment', and that he was obviously finishing up and about to leave, I quickly walked over and said hi, are you disposing of those panels, and could I possibly have them?
I then went into detail, about being a retired electronics engineer, and wanting to examine a bunch of old panels to see how they degraded, what kinds of faults, etc.

He had to phone his office to ask, and while waiting for them to call back he explained they were a warranty replacement, since the house had been struck by lightning, and they were probably dead. I said I didn't care, in fact that made them more interesting. (I was thinking it unlikely they were ALL dead, plus I would actually like to see the result of lightning-struck solar panels.) I asked how often that happened, and he mentioned only ever having had to do this about 6 times, in several years.
We talked about the idea of mini-inverters per panel with 240VAC outputs in parallel, vs panels in series and one bulk inverter. I mentioned the idea of a system with sense wires to each panel, logging stats of individual panels. He says there is such a thing, google "Tigo".  Got his business card.

We stacked the panels against my front fence. He asked if I had a multimeter and I laughed and offered to show him my electronics workshop. But he was in a rush to another job and had to leave. He gave me the box of mounting hardware, and a couple of rails. he'd installed only 6 new panels, presumably higher efficiency equivalent to the 8 old ones.
I moved the panels to the side of the house, then had breakfast. Afterwards moved them to the back yard, laid out in the sun. Cloudless sunny day atm. By 11:30am I'd tested each one and recorded values. Open circuit V, and short circuit Amps only. Wrote values on panel frames in marker pen, then copied to paper, numbered them on paper in rough order of functionality, then wrote the unit numbers on the panels too.

The sorted data:
   Voc    Isc(A)
1  30.0   8.2
2  29.7   7.2
3  29.9   6.2
4  20.2   8.0
5  20.6   7.3
6  20.3   7.2
7  19.9   7.4
8  10.3   6.5

Number 8 is pretty dead, the others all seem not bad, and quite worth using.
Figures taken with the panels manually tilted up to approximately point at the sun. But a few minor shadings - long grass, clothes hoist, etc.

They all have some dirt on the glass, and small lichen growths. Cleaning them may improve the figures a bit.

Panel model info (from label)
-----------------------------
Ningbo Qixin Solar Electrical Appliance Co Ltd
Type:  SL190CE-27P
Peak Power (Pmax)           190W
Production tolerance:       +-5%
Max power current (Imp)     7.15A
Max power voltage (Vmp)     26.56V
Short circuit current (Isc)  7.65A
Open circuit voltage  (Voc) 32.56V
Weight                      17.0Kg
Dimensions    1485 x 990 x 40mm
Wind resistance   2400 Pa

Just for the thrill of free everything, I used that multimeter I was given recently, and had fixed the internal water-corrosion it had.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #588 on: March 31, 2016, 04:00:04 am »
Great score!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2016, 07:28:32 am »
Nice score TeraHertz, good things happen to good guys. After quite some work optimizing a 6V Jaycar PV panel's parameters I know you'll have some fun with these.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2016, 09:58:25 am »
@Terrahertz: your next score must be a lawn mower  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2016, 10:08:49 am »
LOL

To be fair though, it's probably only 2 or 3 weeks of not mowing the lawn at this time of the year >:(

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2016, 12:13:23 pm »
Shnagged it:

Anyone know the OEM?

Sure, once it arrives. Could take a few days to Germany. :scared:

Anyway, I did some googling and it turns out Fluke simply bought Wavetek. Mystery solved. Interestingly, the same clamp is also sold under the Amprobe brand (another Danaher subsidiary) with identical specs as the CT238A, for $60 less than the Fluke i30.

Not at all surprising, as Amprobe sells a bunch of the old Wavetek Meterman multimeters. Meters like the 37xr were originally Wavetek Meterman designs.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »
My score today is not test equipment, but it's related. Maybe these will end up powering my test gear?

The sorted data:
   Voc    Isc(A)
1  30.0   8.2
2  29.7   7.2
3  29.9   6.2
4  20.2   8.0
5  20.6   7.3
6  20.3   7.2
7  19.9   7.4
8  10.3   6.5

One good, 2 with a single dead cell, 4 with around one third dead and the last one with almost all dead. Must have been the one that took the hit. Still, with the price you paid you can always use it as a 2s liopo charge system, providing a nice convenient source of power. 

Rest will need either micro inverters or a boost converter to go partly off grid, and either offset your bill or just have a solar section in the house, or power your shed equipment. 600VA of power will do a nice little offset of the electric bill, especially if you now can grab a free grid tie inverter that will work off a 120V panel string.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2016, 07:41:04 pm »
hmm for most of you it is not test equipment but for me it is :)

I got a few Garmin Marine items sold for Parts on eBay. So a Garmin 8012 Marine GPS (current 12" model - cost around $6000 new) and a Garmin Radar 18xHD - latest model. Both was listed "for parts" - and right enough Garmin 8012 died after 5 min power on. But it was still under warranty and a replacement arrived within 2 weeks... :) And Radar worked perfectly. Total price for both - about US$650 all inclusive vs about US$7500 retail)

Most people do not know Garmin has a pretty good out of warranty service - so worst case the 8012 would have cost me USD$1000 to get replaced with a refurbished model.

So not really a big gamble but a big win as I do now have a complete Garmin test setup for my "things" i'm working on

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #595 on: April 04, 2016, 01:35:22 am »

Ha ha. Yes, it's very long. In the back yard, both I and the cats like long grass. But out the front it's a bit of an embarrassment. I have three lawnmowers, all with various faults I can't be bothered fixing. (And actually, some are a bit mystifying; I'm not a good 2-stroke mechanic.)

Here's the joke: Among that house-clearout pile of stuff recently, there is another lawnmower. However my friend said "It was working fine, then last time I tried it wouldn't start. Don't know why." So now I have FOUR broken lawnmowers. At least this one is probably just a dirty plug or something simple.

The 'fix a mower and mow the damned lawn' job is working up to close to the top of the list.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #596 on: April 04, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »
Anyone know the OEM?

LEM HEME.

Got a similar (w/ identical case and all), slower one (LEM PR20) which well, works. Not too accurate or fast but useful.
LEM made/makes current clamps for fluke, including their high freq. (50Mhz) one.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #597 on: April 04, 2016, 01:21:05 pm »
Anyone know the OEM?

LEM HEME.

Got a similar (w/ identical case and all), slower one (LEM PR20) which well, works. Not too accurate or fast but useful.
LEM made/makes current clamps for fluke, including their high freq. (50Mhz) one.

Thanks, specs look identical to the Fluke i30, so I'm not sure what you mean by slower?

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/317094.pdf

And how is it inaccurate? E.g., a multimeter like the Fluke 17B+ has an accuracy of +/- 1.5% +/- 3mA on the 4A range, the Fluke/Wavetek/LEM current clamp has +/- 1% +/- 2mA, so that is actually better. Does yours not meet that spec?

By the way, Fluke bought Wavetek in 2000 and LEM in 2005, so they could've been selling the Wavetek under the LEM name. Do you know the manufacture date of your model?

Mine should arrive this week, I'll definitely have a look at the PCB.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:23:48 pm by mos6502 »
for(;;);

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #598 on: April 04, 2016, 02:19:38 pm »
Anyone know the OEM?

LEM HEME.

Thanks, specs look identical to the Fluke i30, so I'm not sure what you mean by slower?

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/317094.pdf

And how is it inaccurate? E.g., a multimeter like the Fluke 17B+ has an accuracy of +/- 1.5% +/- 3mA on the 4A range, the Fluke/Wavetek/LEM current clamp has +/- 1% +/- 2mA, so that is actually better. Does yours not meet that spec?

By the way, Fluke bought Wavetek in 2000 and LEM in 2005, so they could've been selling the Wavetek under the LEM name. Do you know the manufacture date of your model?

Mine should arrive this week, I'll definitely have a look at the PCB.

There is a similar one around with around 100Khz BW, i thought fluke would have this one.
Yes, it does meet its spec, it is a bit drifty (within spec) and well, its not a precision current transducer like LEM IT series for example. But it certainly works for most purposes, except those where high precision is needed, where one would use a high grade shunt or transducer.

Oh, btw, it does like to eat batteries. That slide switch comes on sometimes upon putting it into a drawer, and it doesnt have any kind of auto-off. Sucks the battery down to 0,1V.

Board says PR 20 Issue G, Date codes are around 2001-2002.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:35:22 pm by robert_ »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #599 on: April 04, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »
There is a similar one around with around 100Khz BW, i thought fluke would have this one.

Ah, I see what you mean. There are two versions of these clamps: with 4mm plugs and with a BNC plug. The 4mm plug version is specced at 20kHz, the BNC plug version is specced at 100kHz, but apparently, they're identical internally except for the cable:

[/quote]

Yes, it does meet its spec, it is a bit drifty (within spec) and well, its not a precision current transducer like LEM IT series for example. But it certainly works for most purposes, except those where high precision is needed, where one would use a high grade shunt or transducer.

Oh, btw, it does like to eat batteries. That slide switch comes on sometimes upon putting it into a drawer, and it doesnt have any kind of auto-off. Sucks the battery down to 0,1V.

Does it drift by itself or only when you move it? Yes, you can tell they never changed the circuit, the specs for all versions/manufacturers claim a 30 hour battery life ...
for(;;);

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf