Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 777295 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2016, 01:27:24 am »
Chainsaw!?! :o Things have become overly disposable in our modern society. Thank you for saving it. Although I never thought of using one for test equipment, it's a good idea.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #776 on: July 29, 2016, 02:11:14 am »
Not so much a work bench but a newly acquired storage area for some test equipment, stereo gear and other stuff, a customer had this cabinet sitting in his garage and had intentions of going at it with a chainsaw as nobody wanted it and they are worth nothing much nowadays anyway, I explained that I may have a use for it and as it turned out I did, the thing is huge at about 2500 long, 1500 high, 560 deep and weighs 3 crushed vertebrae (a new unit of measure).

My oh my - that's the most beautiful test equipment storage cabinet I've ever seen!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #777 on: July 29, 2016, 02:57:13 am »
Nice cabinet! I can't believe that someone would want to bust it up and throw it away.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #778 on: July 29, 2016, 03:35:10 am »
It's surprisingly true, the word quickly got around that I was looking for a decent timber storage cabinet for equipment and I had my eyes on the one pictured below which is still at our local recycle center for $50, I then discovered that they are listed on Ebay and Gumtree starting at a dollar and being passed in or free to good home with a fire place, as well as being left out on nature strips in front of peoples houses and this is where I scored the additional large pine shelves for the unit I now have, nobody really wants them anymore and are switching over to low profile cabinets with huge plasma and LCD screens sitting on top or hanging on the wall. I don't mind pine stuff as long as it's solid and well built and if there was more room about the place then I could easily fill it for next to nothing, damn shame really.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2016, 03:49:03 am »
Hell even for 50 bucks that could easily be made into a cheap workbench even with limited tools.

Take the 2 center cupboards out and put legs under each side to bring the middle up to table height. Too easy  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2016, 03:56:52 am »
It's brand new and the lady up there who has the hots for me said she could do a better price than that, I'm shuffling stuff around to try and make it fit somewhere, a challenge on it's own accord.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:40 am »
It's brand new and the lady up there who has the hots for me said she could do a better price than that, I'm shuffling stuff around to try and make it fit somewhere, a challenge on it's own accord.
:-DD
Hots for a decrepit old dog  :scared: she must be sick.  :-//

Na mate, you're having us on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:42:12 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2016, 05:00:43 am »
Not so much a work bench but a newly acquired storage area for some test equipment, stereo gear and other stuff, a customer had this cabinet sitting in his garage and had intentions of going at it with a chainsaw as nobody wanted it and they are worth nothing much nowadays anyway, I explained that I may have a use for it and as it turned out I did, the thing is huge at about 2500 long, 1500 high, 560 deep and weighs 3 crushed vertebrae (a new unit of measure).

I gave it a good clean and replaced a couple of wheels so it is now easy to move about for cleaning and getting to any cables I might add at the rear, I have a couple of shelves to add over the weekend and it also came with a nifty multimeter rack with adjustable shelves, lead storage drawer and everything.

I’m saving the forests one cabinet at a time.

I love the multimeter display case!  Not sure how functional but it is beautiful.  Is that oak?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #783 on: July 29, 2016, 05:07:03 am »
It's definitely pine but others agree it's ok.    :)

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #784 on: July 29, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »
If you've got a little over 38" width in that center section you should be able to install 2 std. 19" rack rail systems
 Woo Hoo!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=143862&gclid=CLmOt7X7mM4CFQaTfgoduaIENw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #785 on: July 29, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »
Thanks for the idea but I only have 880mm or 34.64 inches across the centre gap and have already started to prepare adjustable height full width shelves for scopes and other gear, the left door storage area will have some rack mount gear in it including a PC and I'm still working out what should go where.

The concern is that I could easily fill another two cabinets of this size with other gadgets without any problem, I expect the greatest benefit will be having frequently used equipment located at hand in one place rather than having to search through various lockers, cabinets and drawers which is starting to become a real chore. 

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #786 on: July 29, 2016, 05:09:15 pm »
It's definitely pine but others agree it's ok.    :)

Ha! Of course. Now that I see it on a proper computer monitor (instead of my phone screen) I can see that. Yes. Pine's good. ;D

The glass doors look nice - removing them would make for more usable equipment shelving though I suppose it depends it you're using it for storage and display of rarely used equipment versus for regular working access.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #787 on: July 29, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »
I expect the greatest benefit will be having frequently used equipment located at hand in one place rather than having to search through various lockers, cabinets and drawers which is starting to become a real chore.
I just get rid of equipment I no longer use. I mean: how much equipment do you really need?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #788 on: July 29, 2016, 10:02:24 pm »
I mean: how much equipment do you really need?

I'm afraid to answer that question on a public forum.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #789 on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:08 pm »
I mean: how much equipment do you really need?

I'm afraid to answer that question on a public forum.  :palm:

My simple answer:

Need < Have < Want

>:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:10 am »
Need < Have < Want

Pat, you must make that into a T-shirt. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: August 01, 2016, 12:09:16 pm »
I've gotten some OK-ish bargains recently. Fluke 289 DMM for AU$150. Doesn't hold memory when the batteries are removed (super cap is leaky and a well known problem). Next digikey order I will order some replacement caps. The 289 needed a good clean, but is bang on with everything I've thrown at it.

I have a fluke 1587 insulation tester on it's way to me. Looks to be in good nick, cal sticker showed that it was cal'd about 12 months ago, paid AU$300 shipped. Hopefully I'll have that one in my hands in a few days.

Won a HP 66332A 20v / 5a PSU for AU$250 including shipping. Will be a while before that is on my bench, but looking forward to it.

A little while ago I also got a TTi PLH120 DC power supply. Capable of 750.0mA in it's high current range, then 75.00mA on it's low current. It is pretty handy to have a power supply that can go to 120VDC and gives you a readout to 10uA in low current range. I love the TTi gear and this is no exemption. Paid about $350 for it and it had only been used a few times, so a lot cheaper than buying a brand new one.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #792 on: August 01, 2016, 12:18:04 pm »
a nifty multimeter rack with adjustable shelves, lead storage drawer and everything.

Ohh! Nice.
You know, if you stripped out the CD guides, and stacked the multimeters in sideways, you could probably fit 30 of them in there. Leaving only a few more homeless.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Enigma-man

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2016, 12:20:28 am »
I know this isn't much of a score but it was all for free, nada,zilch, zippo, au gratis, etc.
To buy this stuff, what are we lookin' at here?   Ten or twenty bucks ?

Tektronix 7704A Mainframe
7A26 Dual Trace Vertical Amplifier 200MHz
7B80 400Mhz Horizontal Timebase
Fluke 8500A 6.5 digit voltmeter
Eldorado Electronics Model 1820 4.5 digit voltmeter with Nixie display
Brunelle Model 3030 Function Generator
HP 5221A Frequency counter with Nixie display

All are in very good to excellent condition except the  HP 5221A counter.  Cubdriver said it looks like it was taken out of the box yesterday.  ;D
Actually it was from a trip to the past when Marty McFly and I took the DeLorean for a spin back to 1969 just for snicks to hijack a truck
destined for the HP field office here where I live.  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:34:06 am by Enigma-man »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: List your test equipment &quot;scores&quot; here!
« Reply #794 on: August 02, 2016, 01:52:14 am »
Actually it was from a trip to the past when Marty McFly and I took the DeLorean for a spin back to 1969 just for snicks to hijack a truck
destined for the HP field office here where I live.  :)

Back to the Future meets Fast and Furious, I like it! You could call it, Back to the Furious. ;D
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #795 on: August 02, 2016, 02:06:21 am »
Tektronix 7704A Mainframe
7A26 Dual Trace Vertical Amplifier 200MHz
7B80 400Mhz Horizontal Timebase
Fluke 8500A 6.5 digit voltmeter
Eldorado Electronics Model 1820 4.5 digit voltmeter with Nixie display
Brunelle Model 3030 Function Generator
HP 5221A Frequency counter with Nixie display

Pictures!!!!, how are supposed to lust after anything without pictures damn it!
VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline Enigma-man

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #796 on: August 02, 2016, 02:20:43 am »
@timb:
Sounds like it might be next Summer's blockbuster to me.

@TSL:
Easy now... Breathe slowly.  No lusting, drooling or other questionable behaviour will be tolerated.

Pictures of the Eldorado 1820 and HP 5221A are in the Products/Other Equipment and Products/ "Let's see your Nixie tube equipment"  on page four and five.
Wander over for a look.
If you don't tell me my 5221A counter is pretty, I'll have to block and ignore you while I hang out here...  :D

I'll get some pix up of the other stuff some time this week.

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #797 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:41 am »

Pictures of the Eldorado 1820 and HP 5221A are in the Products/Other Equipment and Products/ "Let's see your Nixie tube equipment"  on page four and five.
Wander over for a look.
If you don't tell me my 5221A counter is pretty, I'll have to block and ignore you while I hang out here...  :D

I'll get some pix up of the other stuff some time this week.

The 5221 is beautiful, it looks brand new !
I'm interested to see the 8500 - I picked up one of those at a hamvention for $10 in poor condition. It was BER so I'm retasking its chassis as a case for a GPSDO and frequency divider/distributor.

VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline Enigma-man

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #798 on: August 02, 2016, 03:33:09 pm »
@TSL:

Yes, the 5221A looks like new.  It probably did not meets the needs of the lab and probably sat in a box for dozens of years.  I believe it
was the late 90's or early 2000's when my friend put in a bid on a some equipment and the 5221A was in the lot.
Here is a pic of my Fluke 8500A reading the voltage form an Analog Devices AD688BQ precision plus/minus 10V reference chip.
My 8500A only measures voltage and I am hoping to find a donor with the ohms, current and ac plug in boards.
Also is a pic of my Tektronix 7704A.  Luckily for me, all the vintage items are in very good condition.
The lighting is not good so the pictures did not turn out. I don't have  the photography gene...

I forgot to mention when I did some minor work on the scope last year, the bulbs were burned out in the row of switches so I replaced them with
red LED's.  Looks cool with the lights out.  ;D
The voltage calibrator wasn't working and it took a while to find a 7472 flip flop.  I was prepared to modify that area with a more readily available device
but a friend found one.  Only one he had.  I have never come across a 7472 on anything except in my 7704A.
I didn't have two blank plates to fill in the two center slots so I put a piece of plastic over a scrapped cage from the logic analyzer option.
It works well and I am happy with it even though it is big and heavy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:08:24 pm by Enigma-man »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #799 on: August 05, 2016, 12:28:57 am »
Preamble (LeCroy) 1855 Differential Amplifier with matched probes. Seems to work great and got a nice deal on it. Looking for an additional one right now - need two.
Unique piece of test gear, although it is ugly and has a curved top so you cannot easily stack them up. Dumb design in that regard.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf