Author Topic: FeelTech FY3224S 24MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator  (Read 347370 times)

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY3224S 24MHz 2-Channel DDS AW Function Signal Generator
« Reply #525 on: January 31, 2018, 09:02:15 am »
The last parts arrived today. The PSU is working so just needed a couple of resistors that I didn't have and now I can test the USB isolator.  I didn't get to check this before doing the board but if it doesn't work USB isolators are under £10 anyway....

Offline TinkeringSteve

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #526 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:48 am »
Sweep function broken for some versions?:

Does anyone have an issue with the sweep function, too?
I have the FS2200S, and it also mentions sweep somewhere in the menu, but when I go through the steps I saw someone activate sweep in a YT video and compare, I see my menu hierarchy doesn't go that far, it gets stuck before*. I can't get it to work. Feeltech only replied once, giving the instructions I already knew and don't work.

* more precisely: when I press the PARM button on the "sweep" screen, all it does is switch between setting the time, and the lin/log.
I can't seem to get to set a start frequency which is always 0 Hz. I manage to get it from stop to run, but the freq does not move. Sweep time is set to 1 second. So if it's on run, it should do *something*? No output. Could I still be doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:48:39 pm by TinkeringSteve »

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #527 on: April 14, 2018, 06:23:55 pm »
Is it possible to max both channels at sine waves, 24MHz simultaneously? My unit crashes every single time when I try to set both channels even at 10MHz!

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:27 am »
On a quick check of mine it outputs a 24 Mhz sine on both channels without crashing.  However there is an obvious low amplitude jiggle on the signal level, tested at both 1 volt and 10 volt levels, when set to 24 Mhz.  Dropping the output frequency below 24 Mhz seems to reduce that particular problem although the signals do still have a few millivolts of amplitude modulation superimposed on the signals from both outputs.  For the price one cannot really complain.  It might be worth checking whether the internal PSU voltage rails remain stable for both outputs at their maximum frequencies and at various voltage output levels.

The following users thanked this post: Daruosha

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2018, 12:15:14 am »
The last parts arrived today. The PSU is working so just needed a couple of resistors that I didn't have and now I can test the USB isolator.  I didn't get to check this before doing the board but if it doesn't work USB isolators are under £10 anyway....

Do you have any spare board blanks you want to sell?

Thanks!

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:30 pm »
I'm not sure if I should press the buy button on this arb/sig gen linked below or the FY3224S that's been talked about a lot in this thread.

Unfortunately I can't find a model number
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0779V4B9R

The extra bandwidth (60Mhz) and *k samples @ 14bits interests me a lot.

Any obvious pitfalls that can be found with this one?

Thanks.

EDIT: It's the Feeltech FY6600S. They now have a FY6800S but I can't see any technical differences, just cosmetic differences and a bump in price.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:24:52 pm by ziplock9000 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:25 am »
As long as the firmware on the FY6600 is fairly recent, it's probably OK, unless some of the hardware issues are important to you. Older firmware could randomly render the front panel inoperative. See the following thread for more than you ever wanted to know about the 6600 and a custom front panel firmware that's being developed (hence the high traffic in the thread):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/

The 6800 is supposed to address some of the hardware issues (high ghost voltage on output, no user firmware updating, etc.).

Edit: Looks like someone got a hold of a 6800: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/msg1546058/#msg1546058
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:24:36 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: ziplock9000

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #532 on: June 16, 2018, 03:13:31 am »
Hi. I got a FY3200S and found the interface to be horrible (both hardware and software for Windows). The software is absolutely atrocious and actually sends frequency values 100 times smaller than it should.

In response to this I've started making a very simple program with the very basics. I plan to add sweep and counter options later. It is already working much better than the original software. Not sure if I will add the waveform upload thingy.

My question is: does anyone know if there is a serial command for enabling and disabling the channel outputs? Also I can only query values from the main channel. Haven't found a way to get values from the second channel. I was planning to make the program sync with the hardware so that it showed the actual settings as soon as the program started but this is making it impossible to implement for both channels.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:47:45 am by tomas1808 »

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2018, 08:59:32 am »
Hi. I got a FY3200S and found the interface to be horrible (both hardware and software for Windows). The software is absolutely atrocious and actually sends frequency values 100 times smaller than it should.

Yeah; I find almost universally that hardware manufacturers make terrible software - both embedded and PC.

The frequency values one I can easily understand - the serial protocol works in centiHertz, so maybe the PC software just forgets to account for that.

In response to this I've started making a very simple program with the very basics. I plan to add sweep and counter options later. It is already working much better than the original software. Not sure if I will add the waveform upload thingy.

My question is: does anyone know if there is a serial command for enabling and disabling the channel outputs? Also I can only query values from the main channel. Haven't found a way to get values from the second channel. I was planning to make the program sync with the hardware so that it showed the actual settings as soon as the program started but this is making it impossible to implement for both channels.

I too have been working on some control software, though mine is a support library for some more universal control program. I don't want to control just this siggen - I have plans to go much further more generically.

For now, what might be of interest to you is the serial protocol support in my module, which lives at

https://metacpan.org/pod/Electronics::SigGen::FY3200 (for source code view see the "Source" link in the left panel)

That doesn't (yet) have control of the frequency counter or sweep modes, but it does have as much of the main signal generator control as I could work out. In particular it doesn't do phase of channel 1, and it doesn't have output on/off control at all.

Next time I have the thing out, I may try brute-force guessing all possibly bytes of c{BYTE} and c{BYTE}0 to see if there's anything that might turn off a channel, but that technique aside I can't think of any other way we'd find it.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2018, 02:24:30 pm »
I finally had time to modify my Feeltech FY3200S power supply by adding a 1:1 mains transformer 230VAC/230VAC Triad VPS230-110. Before modification the leakage voltage/current was 92VAC/90uA, and after modification the leakage voltage/current is around 15VAC/20uA measured** between the BNC gnd and the mains earth.

** Using UT-61E in AC-V / AC-mA.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:41:39 pm by Kalvin »

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2018, 06:20:09 pm »

Yeah; I find almost universally that hardware manufacturers make terrible software - both embedded and PC.

The frequency values one I can easily understand - the serial protocol works in centiHertz, so maybe the PC software just forgets to account for that.

I too have been working on some control software, though mine is a support library for some more universal control program. I don't want to control just this siggen - I have plans to go much further more generically.

For now, what might be of interest to you is the serial protocol support in my module, which lives at

https://metacpan.org/pod/Electronics::SigGen::FY3200 (for source code view see the "Source" link in the left panel)

That doesn't (yet) have control of the frequency counter or sweep modes, but it does have as much of the main signal generator control as I could work out. In particular it doesn't do phase of channel 1, and it doesn't have output on/off control at all.

Next time I have the thing out, I may try brute-force guessing all possibly bytes of c{BYTE} and c{BYTE}0 to see if there's anything that might turn off a channel, but that technique aside I can't think of any other way we'd find it.

That's awesome! Much bigger scope than mine, that's for sure. I will try to keep mine as small and simple as possible.

The centiHertz thing is what tipped me over, its just too bad. My version is handling that correctly.

What is weird about the phase on channel 1 is that it can be set using the hardware interface but not via the serial interface!

Seems they just couldn't bother adding a few extra lines of code. Lazy!

I might also try guessing commands that have'nt been documented. I'll let you know if I find anything new.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:54 am »
Tomas, your PC interface software looks good. I hope you're able to discover and implement all the commands.

Offline MikeHL

« Reply #537 on: July 06, 2018, 07:42:44 am »
Software for Feeltech function generator FY32XX

Here I introduce an alternative software for the function generator Feeltech FX32XX. I did not really like the device software, so this version.

The software works on all systems that have NetFramework version 4.0 or higher installed. The settings are made using the mouse (mouse buttons or mouse wheel) or the keyboard.

Note: This release is a pre-release version that may still have errors. In addition, the wave editor and the online help are not yet integrated.

The software is free (Donationware) and can be used freely. If problems or questions arise, I am gladly available for further inquiries (please use the contact function in the program).

If you are interested in translating for other languages (preferably French, Italian or Spanish), please feel free to contact me.

download:
https://ln.sync.com/dl/86ca78b20/rg7kuefm-naer7kry-n7ctz3ut-qxj6q5tq

The following users thanked this post: tomas1808, rbm, electricMN, bitseeker, ledtester, HoracioDos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: July 06, 2018, 05:55:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Mike. This looks really cool. Have you been lurking in the shadows waiting to make a big splash for your first post? I think you succeeded. Looking forward to trying it out.

The following users thanked this post: MikeHL

Offline MikeHL

« Reply #539 on: July 08, 2018, 06:53:22 am »
Hi Bitseeker,
thank you for your welcome.

The background for my post was rather the fact that I was not satisfied with the standard software. In addition, I have also integrated a new power supply with an optically isolated USB interface (presentation will take place shortly). For this I needed a different software, because the supplied driver (CH340) could not be used anymore (I used an ADUM 3160 and an FT232RL as interface module).

Greetings from Germany

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #540 on: July 08, 2018, 10:38:04 am »
Hi Mike,

I have had a quick trial of your s/w, to talk to my Feeltech FY3200S, unfortunately it it seems unable to communicate with it.  On plugging the USB cable into the generator my PC 'device' list shows a COM3 Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port which states '' A device which does not exist is specified''.  I note also your s/w Settings only shows a COM 1 as a choice.   My PC is running Win 10 latest release.   Do you have any suggestions that might help?

John 

Offline MikeHL

« Reply #541 on: July 08, 2018, 03:00:12 pm »
Hi John,

the serial interface settings only show ports that have been cleared and initialized.

Did you install the driver (CH340)? It should be displayed as interface namely: USB-Serial CH340 (COM?).
Please check if the driver was installed correctly (I think the entry Prolific USB is not from the Feeltech).

Mike

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2018, 09:07:56 am »
Hi Mike,

Yes I did try to install (CH340), which stated it was pre-loaded and successful, but unfortunately as soon as I plugged in the USB cable Win 10 reloaded the Prolific USB which I had previously uninstalled/deleted.  Incidentally the Prolific USB driver only arrived as an update via Win 10 on plugging the USB cable into the Feeeltech for the first time.  Obviously a mistake.  I will keep trying when I have some more time but Win 10 has a mind of it's own! :phew:   Thanks for responding as it does confirm it really should work. 

John

Offline MikeHL

« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:09 am »
Hi John,

please look at this video: .
Maybe this will help to solve your problem

Mike

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2018, 01:12:17 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that Mike.  Yes that solved the communication to the Feeltech as the earlier version of the Prolific driver works partially OK.  Your program startup sequence is still unhappy with the driver (no tick) but Com3 now exists and changing the waveform data etc from the PC screen does work OK to the Feeltech.  However manual changes on the Feeltech are not reflected to the PC screen.  I am presuming this is due to there still being a problem with the driver? 

John

Offline MikeHL

« Reply #545 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:26 am »
Hi John,

Your program startup sequence is still unhappy with the driver

the program checks at startup whether the driver FT232RL or CH340 is present. If this is the case, the driver found is used. If none of the drivers is found, all found serial ports are checked. If the Feeltech is found at one of these ports, it will be used.

However manual changes on the Feeltech are not reflected to the PC screen

Here you touch a sore point of the concept. The Feeltech does not send any information to the PC during manual changes. In addition, I have found no way to query certain settings of the generator (there are simply no corresponding commands here). I contacted the manufacturer some time ago to question this, but so far have not received an answer.
That's why I decided to integrate presets. This makes it possible to synchronize the generator and the software at program start (see settings in configuration) or manually. To load the presets, press the Button "Presets". To save presets, you must first make the appropriate settings in the displays. Then press the "Preset-Button" for at least 4 seconds and the preset values are saved.

Mike

Offline kevinateev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #546 on: November 22, 2018, 02:27:54 am »
Guys :  Here is my version of control software for this device.  It is for MacOS and is written in Swift 4.2.

Protocol docs are in project. commands really simple, sweep et al. are supported. Will also upload arbitrary wafeforns for 1024 or 2048 sample waveforms.

Enjoy!

https://github.com/kpishere/mhs52xxA

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #547 on: May 18, 2019, 10:23:51 pm »
Hi! Someone has found a way to update the firmware? I have a 2.0 version...

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: July 24, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »
Is there any way to load a particular waveform on start up?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline camomille

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:08 am »
Hello,

for my scope tests I made this tool, I will try to improve for other waveforms.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:30:39 am by camomille »

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf