Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 470842 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1025 on: May 21, 2021, 12:00:25 am »
The H4 never arrived and the tracking status hasn't changed. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1026 on: May 21, 2021, 12:16:37 am »
We'll just have to wait then.
I just lost my hard drive and everything on it, with no back up. :--
Not having a good day either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: May 21, 2021, 01:08:53 am »
I would think that once it made it into the country, there would be an update.   Suspect the ship is stuck at the docks or something. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:09 am »
Infuriating as it is, it'll show up.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: May 21, 2021, 01:28:02 am »
I have 3 folders in my email client.

Waiting
Bought
Write-off

When I buy stuff, the acknowledgement email goes into waiting.
As stuff arrive, they go into bought.
When they don't arrive in expected days, I either file a complaint or put it in write-off and forget about it.

The last folder and complaining has amazing hidden feature.  The very next day, the item shows up!

Seriously though, shipping process from China is quite mysterious.  After an email that item is sent, nothing is updated for quite some time.  Then it shows up in shores of US.  Then another nothing for quite a while.  The next step is in my mail box.  I waited for 3 month total once.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: May 21, 2021, 02:18:27 am »
The last folder and complaining has amazing hidden feature.  The very next day, the item shows up!

If only.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: May 22, 2021, 12:23:00 pm »
Looks like the order was cancelled.  I tried to find one on Amazon that was at one of their distribution sites but no luck.  So the H4 is off the table.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: May 22, 2021, 12:37:03 pm »
No worries.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: May 22, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
It seems like this is an opportunity for you to buy yet another low cost VNA to add to your collection.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: May 23, 2021, 04:22:44 am »
Have you buckled and dipped your toes in the libre pond?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: May 23, 2021, 02:48:32 pm »
Have you buckled and dipped your toes in the libre pond?
Based on reading the forum, I have no plans at this time to buy one.  I just can't see spending that sort of cash for the privilege of helping to develop it.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a new revision of the hardware.  While searching Amazon for your H4, I saw they have a listing for it.   Are you planning to get one?   

https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-100KHz-6GHz-Measuring-Parameters-Reference/dp/B092Q6W2Z6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=librevna&qid=1621780836&sr=8-1

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: May 23, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
Are you planning to get one?

No, but should everything get ironed out, maybe.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: May 23, 2021, 04:03:25 pm »
While looking to replace my old 8754A,  I came across the PicoVNA.  I didn't like their software but the specs looked decent.   If you are looking for something low cost, you may want to check them out.

https://www.picotech.com/vector-network-analyzer/picovna/picovna-series

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: May 23, 2021, 09:36:56 pm »
If you are looking for something low cost, you may want to check them out.

As someone who poorly emulates a hobbyist of electronics on the internet, I can barely justify spending $50 on toys, so there's no way I'm splashing out four grand on something that'll get minimal use, whereas the libre could tidy things nicely at the right price.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1039 on: May 23, 2021, 11:30:03 pm »
I would wait then.  Even if the price stayed the same, if they roll out a third revision of the hardware, your into it for over a $1000.   

OWO had mentioned they were working on a 6GHz version as well (if that's what you are after).  Based on the V2+4,  even if they close source the hardware and firmware, as long as they document the interface, I would give it a try. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: May 24, 2021, 01:03:31 am »
I would wait then.

I could handle that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: May 24, 2021, 10:55:35 pm »
A few people pointed out this version but the pictures appear different that what you show.   I can't see buying something that may not be identical and we end up wasting even more time trying to hunt down some other incompatibility problem.   If you want to try and chase down if this one is indeed the same as yours, I would be up for trying to order another one.   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FD35LRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: May 24, 2021, 11:58:38 pm »
Whilst mine was the cheapest H4 on aliexpress, it came in the presentation box that I would expect a real H4 to come in.
Clone or not, it works well, so I don't think you could go wrong with anything claiming to be an H4, as there's so little to them.

Nooelec appear to be the official N. American H4 distributor....
https://www.nooelec.com/store/test-equipment/analyzers/nanovna-h4.html
A few bucks more expensive than China, but you get the real deal for sure.

Chasing the identical jobbie might be futile.

Peter

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 12:15:52 am by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: May 25, 2021, 12:35:15 am »
I suggest you post pictures of your PCB to the group and ask there.  Maybe someone there can confirm if they are the same.   

If I am going to attempt to solve these problems your having  when attempting to use unsupported firmware and hardware,  I need an identical setup.   The real deal could cause a huge time waste.   

One option if you don't want to take the time to dig into it, you could buy the same product from the same supplier.   

Looking at the manual in the link you provided, it's basically a rib off from the original.  No big deal but when I compare the schematic in the manual against the original hardware I have, there are very few changes.  The same micro is is used.   I thought the H4 had a different micro to support that 401 data points your wanting to play with?    Maybe I missed something.   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 12:52:20 am by joeqsmith »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: May 25, 2021, 12:56:40 am »
If I am going to attempt to solve these problems you're having

I'm not having any problems. Everything appears to be fully functional.
Possibly a few questions about your software post v1.08, but other than that, nothing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: May 25, 2021, 02:41:47 am »
If I am going to attempt to solve these problems you're having

I'm not having any problems. Everything appears to be fully functional.
Possibly a few questions about your software post v1.08, but other than that, nothing.

Odd, maybe your short term memory is starting to fail you.  I didn't order that hardware because everything was all fine in the world of Purpose!     
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3552390/#msg3552390

Or, maybe you're suggesting you will not attempt to use the newer software with unsupported hardware/firmware or at least not question it when it doesn't work.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:08 am »
Odd, maybe your short term memory is starting to fail you.

Could easily be amnesia, or early onset Alzheimers.

I didn't order that hardware because everything was all fine in the world of Purpose!

I hear that and thought it very nice of you to offer to buy an identical gizmo in order to see why your software was not working as expected with my gizmo,  but v1.08 worked nicely and it was only the later stuff that didn't. If memory serves me (cough), we agreed to stick with 1.08.

Or, maybe you're suggesting you will not attempt to use the newer software

I've said, or thought no such thing. You make em... I'll try em... was something I did say.

with unsupported hardware/firmware or at least not question it when it doesn't work.

I was reporting, not questioning. I'll try any version of your software you want me to.

If I have to buy something to add to your collection, then so be it, but if you ordered from the link I sent and you didn't receive it, then we might have a problem getting the identical piece.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: May 25, 2021, 10:11:25 am »
I was reporting, not questioning. I'll try any version of your software you want me to.

Morning Mr. Smith,

In v1.11 I adjusted the points box to 401 (highlighting and inputting from the keyboard) and saved to defaults. Restarting shows 401, but as soon as I link, it jumps
back to 101.

Am I missing something other than grey matter?

Peter

That looks like a question to me, not reporting.   The manual is clear about what the software supports.  Reporting on unsupported combinations isn't helpful.  In the future I will handle it differently.   

...   but v1.08 worked nicely and it was only the later stuff that didn't. If memory serves me (cough), we agreed to stick with 1.08.
You may certainly use any version I have made available but I have no intent on sticking with it.

If I have to buy something to add to your collection, then so be it, but if you ordered from the link I sent and you didn't receive it, then we might have a problem getting the identical piece.

Maybe but my track record with Amazon has been good.  With them stocking the product, I doubt it would have been a problem. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: May 25, 2021, 11:07:04 am »
That looks like a question to me, not reporting.
That was quite obviously a report, followed by a question which was nothing to do with the software.
You're not getting away with that.

You may certainly use any version I have made available but I have no intent on sticking with it.
Fair enough.

I doubt it would have been a problem.
Jeff Bezos to the rescue.
Personally, I prefer to give my dosh to the little guy.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1049 on: May 25, 2021, 11:10:52 am »
I have a whole bunch of fair-rite very tiny balun cores, beads, etc. I have several materials.

I am assuming you want to try the effect of a small decoupling transformer vis-a-vis smoothing out the peakiness shown in the images?

Now I have an original nanona2 and a bunch of TH components, probably the ones you used (including the coil) as well as the toroids, probably. As well as the breadboards. I also have some gold plated DIP plugs with solderable pins ideal to carry the xformer. From experience this works great up to a few hundred MHz.

Can I attempt to replicate what you are trying to do which I am guessing likely involves either a 1:1 or fixed ratio transformer (1:4?) to match the nanoVNA to the "transmission line" on the breadboard?

I'd be happy to bang it together, scan the DUT at the proper range and then show you what the results are via screenshot here. I would be using the software that I have which is the QT software (which works fine for me)

I dont have a windows box so cant run windows apps. My wine install is broken now too. :(

This is not an inconvenience because I have been meaning to try exactly this, to check this out for a while.

I also have the nanovna test board and a bunch of stripboard (good for series and shunt testing fTH components but ...

And SMA connectors. and my x-acto knife and soldering iron. would be good for HF, too much capacitance to work well much above that. But okay for banging out filters for HF.

Sweeping 20KHz to 100M, still no transformer and unit is not calibrated.    Plot A, starting with a tant for the bulk. B, adding a 0.1.  C adding a 0.001uF.

Should be fine at 100 MHz.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:20:10 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf