Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 471258 times)

Online gf

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1725 on: February 20, 2022, 10:08:24 am »
V2/Lite/V2Plus4 use one measure channel and switch for Reference/Reflect/Thru. On crystal measures this of course affects, but setting a larger delay does not solve the problem.
Reduce measures RBW (set device AVG or E0/E1 registers) allow get correct results (but use external sotware AVG not reduce RBW and not allow get it) i think need show/select measure RBW value (not AVG as now)

I still struggle to understand what happed in Joe's V2Plus4 measurements.
How did the V2Plus4 achieve the 4-fold repetition of the filter shape at about +/- 4kHz and +/- 2kHz offset?
Do you have an idea why exactly this happens, or is it simply a bug?
(Do you happen to know the IF frequency of the V2Plus4? I wonder if the ~N*2kHz offsets are possibly related to it.)
Does the same repetition effect also happen with the Lite if RBW is not reduced? (my guess were, it does not - but I may be wrong)

0x44 = 2 get only S21.

But is reflection still measured then?
My understanding is that reflection is also required for the error correction of S21, if Enhanced Reponse calibration is used.
If reflection measurement is skipped, then these S21 readings were limited to simple response normalization calibration, right?

Offline DiSlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1726 on: February 20, 2022, 10:22:18 am »
>If reflection measurement is skipped, then these S21 readings were limited to simple response normalization calibration, right?
Yes, but as i can see ER calibration not allow solve problems, just add more errors.

On V2Plus4 - i think related to internal DSP filter:
And how look narrowband measure
If use 10xAVG you also get this

Yes on Lite if not use RBW you see ~problems (less but see) on image red 2xAVG and blue on 10x

The following users thanked this post: gf

Offline Alextsu

• Contributor
« Reply #1727 on: February 20, 2022, 01:51:11 pm »
The last screenshot from LiteVNA shows a classical spectrum leakage from a DFT transform with rectangular windowing function, just an ordinary DSP filter artifacts.

Offline DiSlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1728 on: February 20, 2022, 02:39:57 pm »
Here my fw for V2Plus4, use all not related to measure functions as on Lite

Limits:
Not work power control in CW (registers 0x41 for SI and 0x42 for ADF)
If use big avg settings (register 0x40) possible get overflow on measures (and not correct results, max avg near 20-25)
Not work 0x44 register for control send channel data.

And main warning: new V2Plus4 hardware use different LCD modules, not supported by this firmware. As sources closed (and i not have this devices), i can`t add it.
On this devices work only CPU control, LCD display black. Install last firmware from official page in this case

Allow 401 measure/calibration points, calibration standard support, and all things added in Lite/H4 devices.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1729 on: February 20, 2022, 02:44:22 pm »
Shown with the latest 64-bit software without any calibration using 10 averages (register 0x44 = 0x0a).
You mean 0x40 register (set average) ?
0x44 = 1 get only S11 measure
0x44 = 2 get only S21.

I have E0, E1 & 44 on the brain...  Yes, 0x40 set to 0x0A, nothing to do with 0x44.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1730 on: February 20, 2022, 03:30:39 pm »
I'll review your original video about the crystals and study on it some more.  Thanks for extra details.
Thanks for writing the manual.  Real manuals seem to have gone out of style.  It's all online forums, posting/searching questions and reading faqs. I prefer a good reference. Let the community figure it out is the new support.

It's a bandpass filter, so we expect it to pass frequencies in the 3.68M and reject everything else.  This particular filter was designed to have a 1.5kHz passband.  My software will automatically place the cursors 3dB down (I'm lazy).   You can see from that first uncal screen shot, it's close.    See:   

https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/RF-Filters.html

I programming the Lite with 1.1.01, and then ran the same 3.68M filter after calibration.  Shown comparing with the V2+4 and the original NanoVNA.  Only one of the three VNAs is even close and it happens to be the least costly and oldest.    Good to finally know this was not a limitation of the hardware.   

Online gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1731 on: February 20, 2022, 04:28:57 pm »
I programming the Lite with 1.1.01, and then ran the same 3.68M filter after calibration.  Shown comparing with the V2+4 and the original NanoVNA.  Only one of the three VNAs is even close and it happens to be the least costly and oldest.    Good to finally know this was not a limitation of the hardware.

But here the Lite was much better. Very close to the Agilent and HP traces (only a higher noise floor). What is different now? Only other firmware, or also other E0/E1 and AVG parameters?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1732 on: February 20, 2022, 04:53:16 pm »
Here my fw for V2Plus4, use all not related to measure functions as on Lite

Mine was supplied with "git-20201010-86c7055" which I was unable to locate.  There was mention of using ST-Link but looking at the PCB, there appears to be no test points to connect in.  Maybe the pads under the USB port.   It's not documented that I could find. 

Finding working firmware for the V2Plus was random luck.  I would be concerned that installing the last "stable" version would cause it to become unstable.  So unless I am able to locate the original image or a way to back it up, I will not attempt to run it. 

Offline DiSlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1733 on: February 20, 2022, 04:59:28 pm »
>Finding working firmware for the V2Plus was random luck
As i remember, you use my firmware version for this.

On V2Plus4 exist pads under USB connector

center left is SWDIO
center right is SWCLK
leftmost and rightmost are ground

Power must be from USB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: February 20, 2022, 05:34:01 pm »

But here
the Lite was much better.
Very close to the Agilent and HP traces (only a higher noise floor). What is different now? Only other firmware, or also other E0/E1 and AVG parameters?

That is correct.   You lost the context was all.  That post was an attempt to demonstrate to jspencerg that the setup will make a big difference for this measurement and it's not documented.  Its up to the user to somehow know what settings to use and the defaults are not what you want. 

My original software for the V2+ did not support changing any of these registers, including the firmware average.  It was up to the developers to make their firmware behave like the original NanoVNA to keep it backward compatible (thats assuming they want my software to work with it).     In other words, you can not use my released software to make these measurements with the Lite. (that assumes the Lite's firmware defaults remain the same)

My latest software loads the number of averages from the Defaults file (currently set to 1) but the other registers are set from a byte write function which will go away in the final version.  Once these are included in the released firmware, I will decide how best to support them.

Attached showing latest test firmware for the Lite with Avg set to 10,  1.1.01 firmware with average set to 1 and finally 1.1.01 firmware with defaults using my released software for the V2Plus4.   

I assume the defaults were chosen for some other metric besides narrow band performance.  I am not sure what but it shouldn't pose a problem in the future.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:49:41 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1735 on: February 20, 2022, 05:50:24 pm »
>Finding working firmware for the V2Plus was random luck
As i remember, you use my firmware version for this.

I would have no way to know.  It could very well be.  I posted about it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3615392/#msg3615392
They released a newer version after this and the problem returned.  I went back to that one hand picked version I stumbled onto. 

On V2Plus4 exist pads under USB connector

center left is SWDIO
center right is SWCLK
leftmost and rightmost are ground

Power must be from USB

Can you write up a procedure to back up FLASH?   

Offline DiSlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1736 on: February 20, 2022, 06:39:05 pm »
Larry Rothman made pdf from all interesting info from beta-test forum

I also write how restore V2 device on brick (and dump firmware) on page 13

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1737 on: February 20, 2022, 06:48:27 pm »
On page 14, was about the only thing close.  Is the size for the V2Plus4 still 0x40000?   So 0x8000000 to 0x8040000 would capture the entire contents? 

Should I also create an partial image from 0x8008000  to 0x8040000 to recover the application?   

I also note that the ST-Link is defaulting to 8-bit,  should this be changed to 32-bit and will the binary file that generates be compatible with the QT software to reload it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 06:51:21 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline DiSlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1738 on: February 20, 2022, 07:06:26 pm »
Need dump fw from 0x8004000 (for V2/V2Plus) and 128k size or 0x08008000 and 96k size (for V2Plus4) you can upload it by any software.

Better also made full dump from 0x08000000 (include bootloader) but restore only from ST-Link

Save it as bin file.

For Lite you can dump current firmware to SD card from CONFIG->EXPERT SETTINGS->DUMP FIRMWARE (this also dump all settings/calibrations)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:11:26 pm by DiSlord »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1739 on: February 20, 2022, 07:13:56 pm »
Tried to get the software installed on Windows7 but the NI software won't install. Tried 4 different versions; I'm giving up. It would be so much easier if the NI software is included / bundled into the .exe file.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1740 on: February 20, 2022, 07:46:25 pm »
Tried to get the software installed on Windows7 but the NI software won't install. Tried 4 different versions; I'm giving up. It would be so much easier if the NI software is included / bundled into the .exe file.

It is included/bundled.  You just failed to read the instructions.  It's a common problem and one I don't have a solution for.   While I have ran it on 7, that's as old as I support with that installer. 

Read the attached, or don't. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:45:16 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1741 on: February 20, 2022, 07:50:06 pm »
I added a header and was able to backup and verify the images.  I then used my software to load your new image.  I also tried restoring the original with no problems.   

That said, increasing the average using your firmware had no effect on the narrow band measurements.   (other than slowing them down)

I took a few pictures along the way. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:54:24 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: realfran

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1742 on: February 20, 2022, 09:04:07 pm »

It is included/bundled.  You just failed to read the instructions.  It's a common problem and one I don't have a solution for.   While I have ran it on 7, that's as old as I support with that installer. 

I have read the manual! I went to the NI site, downloaded the 2011 SP1 (64 bit) installer, installed it and yet NanoVNA.exe tells me to install the 2011 NI runtime. Just for good measure I tried a few newer versions of the NI runtime but that didn't work either.

The manual says to get the runtime from NI and start the executable. That is what I did.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:21:22 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: February 20, 2022, 10:06:07 pm »
I have read the manual! I went to the NI site, downloaded the 2011 SP1 (64 bit) installer, installed it and yet NanoVNA.exe tells me to install the 2011 NI runtime.

I think you need the 2011 SP1 32 bit Version

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1744 on: February 20, 2022, 10:36:21 pm »

I have read the manual! I went to the NI site, downloaded the 2011 SP1 (64 bit) installer, installed it and yet NanoVNA.exe tells me to install the 2011 NI runtime. Just for good measure I tried a few newer versions of the NI runtime but that didn't work either.

The manual says to get the runtime from NI and start the executable. That is what I did.

Read the manual?

10. Installation
The software will include an installer which contains the runtime engine only. No drivers will be included beyond NIVISA.

As of version 1.0 there are now two separate programs. One supports the original NanoVNA
and the other supports the new V2+. The installer, .INI, runtime engine and VISA drivers will
no longer be included. You may download these directly from NI, or just install the original
release of the V2+ software. Once these are installed, copy the executable files to your
directory.

10.3 Troubleshooting
Most of the problems seem to stem from user’s inability to follow the basic instruction. Some
of the more common problems are:
 Installing the EXEs and then randomly guess at which runtime is required. If they
manage to find the correct one, they are unable to get the software to communicate with
the device because they have not installed the correct VISA.
 Using the wrong software for the device.
 Downloading the installer and assuming the included 1.0 software is the latest available.
 Attempting to use different regional settings without changing the INI file. The
NanoVNA fails to respond when the comma separator is selected.
 Trying to use an unsupported hardware / firmware combination. If you like to fiddle
around reprogramming your VNA, the software is not well suited for you.
Do yourself a favor and read the readme file and manual. Of course, if you are reading this, I
doubt you ran into one of above problems.

I have read the manual! I went to the NI site, downloaded the 2011 SP1 (64 bit) installer, installed it and yet NanoVNA.exe tells me to install the 2011 NI runtime.

I think you need the 2011 SP1 32 bit Version

While the manual talks about running on XP (which it will) as I mentioned in the last few posts that I am looking into moving to 64-bit.  The older versions of LabView were too crippled to make any use of the 64-bit versions.

While the power user may attempt to install the correct runtime from NI to get the software working on other flavors, I don't recommend it.  As nctnico has discovered, unless you are familiar with LabView, that can present it's own set of problems.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1745 on: February 20, 2022, 10:48:35 pm »
To be honest there is a bit of an information overflow here. The github page isn't exactly layed out in a way that makes sense for releasing software so for me it is easier to just grab the exe and get the NI runtime.

But needs the program the 64 bit or 32 bit runtime? It would be extremely helpful to know (from the already extensive manual) to get the right NI runtime. I know that a lot of work went into documenting everything but missing this tiny bit of information just trips me up.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1746 on: February 20, 2022, 11:28:46 pm »
To be honest there is a bit of an information overflow here. The github page isn't exactly layed out in a way that makes sense for releasing software so for me it is easier to just grab the exe and get the NI runtime.

But needs the program the 64 bit or 32 bit runtime? It would be extremely helpful to know (from the already extensive manual) to get the right NI runtime. I know that a lot of work went into documenting everything but missing this tiny bit of information just trips me up.

You may have felt at the time your way was easier.  Funny that you post that having it all packaged would have helped.   

You are certainly not alone in your struggles.  There's a reason I bundled everything up and included an installer.   But as the manual says, you can certainly do it your way. 

Git isn't really made to release EXEs.  It limits the file sizes which is the reason for the spanned ZIP.   

2011 is more than 10 years old and I would expect most people would have guessed its 32-bits just because of the age.  The fact the manual talks about running on XP (common) vs XP 64 which was rare and short lived should have been another clue.   

My guess is it will continue to be an uphill battle for you.  You may want to consider using one of the other open sourced programs.   These have several people working on them and I expect have much better support and documentation.   The software may also be a lot easier to learn.  Mine was really written for the EEs and it's far from user friendly. 

If you really want to use it, I suggest you start by following the instructions and use the installer. 

I'm guessing you will still have a question on which to use, 32 or 64.   Again, read the attached from Github, or not. 

The few people who follow my channel also may have seen the following where I talk about how to install it.
https://youtu.be/scZ3kZ4Q2sQ?t=1045

Having this level of detail and still having problems with the install is not uncommon.  There are people who just can't get past the install.  If you feel frustrated, your not alone.  Read the last issue posted on Github.  I never knew a VNA had anything to do with COVID 19 or who was president of the USA.   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:08:45 am by joeqsmith »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1747 on: February 21, 2022, 12:15:32 am »

You may have felt at the time your way was easier.  Funny that you post that having it all packaged would have helped.   
I certainly don't want to pick a fight here. I just want to explain my line of thinking in order to offer an insight in how & why I went wrong. We seem to have different views on what is easy. The Github page layout is also not helping me even though there is a releases item. Because the releases box only lists an old version I ignored it; it lead me to believe that the newer versions simply no longer come pre-packaged. Meanwhile I've downloaded & installed the 32 bit version of the 2011 Labview runtime and now the program starts.

And yes, I did try other software. I have a NanoVNA H4 (from nanovna.com ) and I already read that your software likely doesn't support it. No problems there, I just want to try and see how it goes. The other open source software I have tried doesn't seem to run at all without major Linux or Windows OS updates (to get the latest & greatest Python version). The (Windows only) software from nanovna.com does work though. Ultimately I'm researching whether it is worthwhile to get a full fledged VNA or stick with the NanoVNA and control it remotely.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1748 on: February 21, 2022, 01:49:05 am »

I certainly don't want to pick a fight here. I just want to explain my line of thinking in order to offer an insight in how & why I went wrong. We seem to have different views on what is easy. The Github page layout is also not helping me even though there is a releases item. Because the releases box only lists an old version I ignored it; it lead me to believe that the newer versions simply no longer come pre-packaged. Meanwhile I've downloaded & installed the 32 bit version of the 2011 Labview runtime and now the program starts.

And yes, I did try other software. I have a NanoVNA H4 (from nanovna.com ) and I already read that your software likely doesn't support it. No problems there, I just want to try and see how it goes. The other open source software I have tried doesn't seem to run at all without major Linux or Windows OS updates (to get the latest & greatest Python version). The (Windows only) software from nanovna.com does work though. Ultimately I'm researching whether it is worthwhile to get a full fledged VNA or stick with the NanoVNA and control it remotely.

From my previous post where I quoted the manuals troubleshooting section: 
Installing the EXEs and then randomly guess at which runtime is required. If they manage to find the correct one, they are unable to get the software to communicate with the device because they have not installed the correct VISA.
   Maybe you made it past that second part and actually have it communicating.

There's no fight.   Your original post:

suggests there is a problem.   You were giving up and you never asked for help.  This can leave people with the wrong impression.  So, I provided quotes from the manual and from the on-line help and even a video clip explaining it.  All three were of no help to you.  Had you followed the instructions, or even bothered to read them, you would have seen it required the 32-bit runtime and VISA.  Even after linking the online help here, you were still asking if it was 32 or 64 bits.  I'm just pointing out the obvious.  Don't take offense to it.   Maybe consider what you are posting next time.     

Believe me, I will be the first to admit that this software is not an easy tool to use or learn.  There's a reason I made these videos and wrote that manual.   You read the manual, so I would have thought that the follow would have made that very clear:     

Additionally, there have been ongoing efforts to create other software for the NanoVNAs. I
have not been following their development but understand these programs have been largely
adopted by the radio community. My software was not written for this group. It was designed
as an engineering tool for the RF experimenter.

This manual assumes the reader is PC literate and has some basic understanding of how a VNA
works. It is not a learner’s guide on using a VNA and offers no assistance into solving basic
computer related problems.

This software can be viewed as an engineering tool at best. Its primary use was to extend the
author's understanding of NanoVNA V2 Plus. It was never intended to be used as a general tool
for radio hobbyists to tune their antennas. The software is buggy and not very robust. Even
under normal conditions, expect to run into several problems if attempting to use this software.
It is a very poor choice for the beginner.

As for supporting the H4 (or any other VNAs), it's hard to say really.  The manual talks about the H4 and so does this thread, even recently.  If the firmware is written such that it is backward compatible with the original NanoVNA and the firmware is stable then there is no reason my software would not support it.   I ran several tests with the H4 some time ago and it was not to the level I was expecting.  Still, others are using my software with it.  Of course, it does require you use the correct software which was covered in that video, manual and on-line help.  Or, you can just guess.   

Old firmware was so bad, I ended up writing my own test code to test their code.    Having a stable, automated test was the only way I could keep up with the firmware of the week.   I could try loading in Dislords latest firmware for the H4 and repeat the regression test.   The last time I played with it, we were working on using the VNA to measure a PDN.    Then again, if you are the typical radio hobbyist and just want to look at SWR, then you may be just fine.   It's free anyway so you're not out anything.     
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:50:48 am by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1749 on: February 21, 2022, 01:22:15 pm »
In Lite if remove DC block capacitor and ESD protection diode possible get better results on low frequency range < 10M (but this huge increase chance burn rf switch)
I prefer not do hardware mods (use for firmware tests only original hardware)

No problem.  Did you see this data published somewhere that you can provide a link to it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf