Author Topic: NEWS: Forum reverted to backup  (Read 30811 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: NEWS: Forum reverted to backup
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2021, 08:19:41 am »
It appears that the post counter shown below a members avatar is incorrect, the number of posts shown on the last page of a members profile displays the true post count as mentioned above.

The following users thanked this post: magic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 08:47:39 am »
And as I said his contributions were good and is sad that they were lost because he wanted them removed.

Correct. He wanted every single post removed and would have done it himself if he was given access back.
Everyone has the ability to delete all their posts on this forum, it's just that admins have tools to do it on a mass scale with greater ease.

While blueskull may have made some useful technical contributions, some people are just more trouble than they are worth.

But overall I would have preferred to keep his contributions visible, so people could see his helpful posts and also to see what a painful immature twit he could be.

Overall I think you were too nice and obliging to him w.r.t. deleting his posts.

20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2021, 09:38:39 am »
OTOH, and this is pure speculation from an ordinary user and I specifically would *NOT* expect any admin or moderator to confirm or deny:

*IF* Dave agreed a deal with the ex-user in question that in exchange for eradicating his content he'd avoid any future interaction with this forum or the rest of Dave's online presence, it may have been well worth it (excluding the unforseen database corruption, which no doubt would eventually have take the forum down anyway). Its a simple choice to spend a few hours *now* and accept a limited amount of loss of content, to avoid a pissed-off and technically competent nutter person gunning for you, vs dealing with the sh!t they are likely to attempt to fling for the foreseeable future, if you don't give them a perceived 'victory' as they depart.

I do however believe the forum rules section:
Removal of Data:
You are free to delete or edit your own posts at any time. However, once someone has quoted your text (or it's archived by another website), you can't remove that, and only under exceptional circumstance will moderators remove it for you. This is at the discretion of the forum owner.
Basically, whilst you are allowed to withdraw your own posts, please be aware that it may have already been copied and duplicated elsewhere.
That is always the risk of posting on the Internet, and this forum is no different.
By posting on this public forum you are effectively giving up ownership of the text you wrote - it becomes public domain - people are free to quote it for perpetuity on this forum and other websites, bots are free to archive it and make it available in searches, and the forum owner is free to archive it and restore it if desired. You have no right to demand that what you wrote be removed from all parts of this forum and other people's posts. If you don't like this, don't post to a public forum like this.
could do with a tweak. changing "You are free to delete or edit your own posts at any time." to "Registered users in good standing are free to delete or edit their own posts at any time." which would bring it into line with the actual situation: that banned or suspended users cant delete/edit their own posts because they cannot log in to do so.

Edit: I retract any inferences about the ex-user's mental state.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:06:31 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:15 pm »
Just stop bad mouthing a person when he has no way to reply or defend, or counter attack.   Do it when you can take his counter attack, toxic or not.  He has no way to delete his own posts, and Dave is doing what he has promised.  Banning a person and still want to keep his postings just doesn't sound right.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2021, 12:23:37 pm »
He has no way to delete his own posts, and Dave is doing what he has promised.  Banning a person and still want to keep his postings just doesn't sound right.
That's what you, I and every other user agreed to.  See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-rules-please-read/

Dave *chose* to be nice and accommodate his request for bulk post deletion. 

By the terms of the user agreement, if a hypothetical disgruntled departing user utilized their posting history and the message modify or remove tools to go through and bulk delete their posts then abandoned their account, Dave *could* restore the deleted/modified messages and perma-ban them so they couldn't log back in and trash them again.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2021, 12:33:17 pm »
Not really the place for it but depending on the location of the entity and the location of the data the 'Author' retains a greater or lesser degree of control how their work is used or displayed. In reality no one is likely to push those buttons legally regardless of legal merit but it is a big world and laws vary.

Dave chose to follow the request covered by the forum rules in this case in spite of it being a net loss to the forums content as not only have Blueskulls topics and other posts gone but the other member replies to those 300+ topics have gone too. Opting to the taking his bat and ball and going home solution is still a fairly petty move and will only bring joy (small minded joy) to the former serial taunters of him and there were more than a few.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:35:17 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2021, 03:24:57 pm »
The topics and other people's replies are still up. Indeed, I have posted in one of them today.

*IF* Dave agreed a deal with the ex-user in question that in exchange for eradicating his content he'd avoid any future interaction with this forum or the rest of Dave's online presence, it may have been well worth it (excluding the unforseen database corruption, which no doubt would eventually have take the forum down anyway). Its a simple choice to spend a few hours *now* and accept a limited amount of loss of content, to avoid a pissed-off and technically competent nutter person gunning for you, vs dealing with the sh!t they are likely to attempt to fling for the foreseeable future, if you don't give them a perceived 'victory' as they depart.
He threatened to get his commie comrades to nuke all of Australia in retaliation. True story :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:27:08 pm by magic »

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2021, 04:14:15 pm »
Yeah, I don't get it. There are still precisely 367 posts of his. The post where I quoted his posts are still there. Dave said that blueskull would have deleted his own posts himself if he were allowed to return, but his profile is NOT banned.

Blueskull had been at odds with the moderation for quite a few years, for him to have requested and Dave to have complied so promptly, there must have been a huge schism between the two. One can almost sense the fury with which Dave deleted his posts.

Was his threat of nuking Australia along with his commie homies the last straw?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2021, 04:29:35 pm »
He studied in the US, after finishing the program he applied for a visa to stay. His  visa application was rejected, he returned to China and commited himself to a holy war against the West in revenge.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 05:35:59 pm »
No. Realistically there’s immature dicks on both sides of the fence.

Everyone please just grow up and treat your fellow humans nicely. Then we won’t have to be here.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2021, 06:06:25 pm »
He threatened to get his commie comrades to nuke all of Australia in retaliation. True story :D

He studied in the US, after finishing the program he applied for a visa to stay. His  visa application was rejected, he returned to China and commited himself to a holy war against the West in revenge.

There wasn't any post relating with him saying that it was going to nuke Australia. What he done, and was said by Dave:

He had been baned before and has a history of years of provacations and reports from users, I was not going to allow this to continue.
Not to mention that one of his last posts was an admission that he directly targetted myself and the forum and reported me to forum advertisers in order to get their ads pulled.
Now please get this thread back on topic or it gets locked.

on https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/gigadevice-risc-v-microcontroller/msg3562369/#msg3562369

And I provided Dave with a screenshot after reporting the message for his own reference that stated EXACTLY what Dave said in the comment.

I may have disliked how he simply gone into full angry mode every time someone talked bad about his country. I may not agree on Godify him as I see now happening, even if his past contributions on this forum were useful and he was one of the most thanked users, since a lot of rights don't make the wrongs disappear, but one thing I'm sure: Talking on the back without him being able to defend himself is not right, even if he was what he was and his views were what they were.

This is old news now, and bd139 just close the subject with his message:
No. Realistically there’s immature dicks on both sides of the fence.

Everyone please just grow up and treat your fellow humans nicely. Then we won’t have to be here.

And I must be also one of them since I feel that the hat fits me.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2021, 06:45:01 pm »
Something must still be amiss somewhere...

My post count says 1767 but if I view "Show Posts" in my profile, I can go back to page 73 and it shows post #1824...

It is 7455 vs 7406 for me.

Well, they're obviously still doing something behind the scenes on this...

My post count jumped from 1768 yesterday to 1783 today all by itself, and there are now 1841 in my "Show Posts" section in the profile.

They must still be un-munging the database and presumably will have to do some magic SQL incantation to re-populate people's post count field with the actual true value once the repairs are complete...

I'm pretty sure I was right around 1900 posts, as I was closing in on a 1 post-per-day average on the profile page, but I'm currently shown to be back at 0.864 per day.

It appears that the post counter shown below a members avatar is incorrect, the number of posts shown on the last page of a members profile displays the true post count as mentioned above.

Okay, guys...  back to the topic of forum database repair...  :)

Dave, for the incorrect post counts, if doing the various "check for errors" and then "recount forum statistics and stats" options in SMF's "forum maintenance" section of the admin panel still doesn't recount people's posts properly, you can try this mod:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2324

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2021, 06:52:03 pm »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:01 pm »
No, it was a joke regarding all the crazy speculation here :P

That being said, maybe it wasn't so crazy if he really wrote letters to advertisers :scared:

But I'm afraid he will discover that all his whining will simply not have the same pull as similar actions by the usual suspects like LG@#$%RTY or B*M. And I think here lies the root of his anger: the absolute idiocy, doublefacedness and hypocrisy of all the Western SJW/liberal/mumbo/jumbo/egalitarian/democratic nonsense rhetoric.

The idea that blueskull is going through all that effort just because he had been denied a stupid visa which he could simply reapply for next year is IMHO laughable.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, bd139

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16:34 pm »
Yeah, I don't get it. There are still precisely 367 posts of his. The post where I quoted his posts are still there. Dave said that blueskull would have deleted his own posts himself if he were allowed to return, but his profile is NOT banned.
The 367 posts are his OPs. Removing those would entail nuking whole threads with all the content posted by others.

Surgically editing out quotes from your posts wouldn't be a trivial effort either, so no surprise.

Good catch, same for me. The number I see on my posts list is in the ballpark of what I remember from before the disaster, but the one in the profile is different.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:26:14 pm by magic »

The following users thanked this post: bsfeechannel

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:06 pm »

*removed political opinions*

and you somehow feel the need to bring politics into this thread when that was the whole cause of the problem to begin with?
now this relatively civil discussion will be locked  :palm:

edit: the person you are quoting has had a number of racist posts deleted, so not the most reliable source.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:34:28 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2021, 09:09:21 pm »

That being said, maybe it wasn't so crazy if he really wrote letters to advertisers :scared:

Yeah, I knew it had to be something really serious. Welp, he's got a lot to learn. But he's young, let's just give him time. I'll miss him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:07:35 pm by bsfeechannel »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2021, 09:45:08 pm »
He'll be back.

Every good play needs a villain.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:39 am »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 01:00:29 am »

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 01:17:59 am »
Ok, I'll run that now.
There is no such option:

Sorry, I should have been more clear...  You need to install this mod to add that option:

P.S.  Also, we should chat sometime offline or PM or something re: extensions for things like the more modern post editors, etc. like being able to paste an image in using a simple [CONTROL]-[V], etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:24:50 am by drussell »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:59 am »
Ok, I'll run that now.
There is no such option:

Sorry, I should have been more clear...  You need to install this mod to add that option:

This is how we get into these situations..

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 01:25:21 am »
Ok, I'll run that now.
There is no such option:

Hmm, yet another mod, is it that important that everyones post count be exactly correct?  :-//

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2021, 01:27:14 am »
P.S.  Also, we should chat sometime offline or PM or something re: extensions for things like the more modern post editors, etc. like being able to paste an image in using a simple [CONTROL]-[V], etc.

I already installed an updated posting mod, and that one eventually screwed up images attachments in the database.
But if you know of a mod that allows simple CTRL-V please provide the link.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:09 am »
The post re-counter mod is simple...  If you don't want to go messing with the SQL queries and statements by yourself to by hand to update the counts, it makes it easy.  It's only a like 2k long file, if you're good with DBs, could also just look at the source and do it manually I suppose, but that seems like a lot of effort for essentially one simple thing.   :o

I've never seen it mess anything up, and you can just remove it as soon as you're done the re-count since you're probably not going to be needing it again.  It doesn't have to stay on the system, you just need to run it once to fix the munged post total field...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf