Poll

Which "made in <country name>" gives you most confidence in the product?

Germany
72 (41.6%)
USA
20 (11.6%)
China
3 (1.7%)
Japan
37 (21.4%)
Switzerland
13 (7.5%)
UK
9 (5.2%)
Holland (The Netherlands)
11 (6.4%)
Italy
3 (1.7%)
Australia
2 (1.2%)
Korea
3 (1.7%)
Taiwan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Voting closed: May 08, 2015, 08:38:37 pm

Author Topic: Your best "Made in ..."?  (Read 31375 times)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Your best "Made in ..."?
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 02:37:18 am »
I don't care WHERE it is made, I care about HOW it is made.

That's a very good point. Apple for example manufactures in China but owns the design and process.

As for countries with specialities, the UK has some of the best small wheel bike designs, Brompton, Molton and Strida. Some affordable, some cost more than 15K GPB.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 06:55:38 am »
Apple make some of the most dangerous and stupid kit there is. I've had a macbook catch fire on my lap for reference.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Your best &quot;Made in ...&quot;?
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:01 am »
Apple make some of the most dangerous and stupid kit there is. I've had a macbook catch fire on my lap for reference.

An anecdote doesn't make statistical significance.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:25 am »
At least you can isolate the power on most of them. I had to throw the damn thing in the garden and watch it burn.

Lenovo ThinkPad all the way now.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your best &quot;Made in ...&quot;?
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:35 am »

An anecdote doesn't make statistical significance.

Yep you're right. Several watt-hours of energy sitting there with no manual isolation is significant though.

For ref it wasn't the battery that exploded. It was something in the screen/lid that shorted, arced and set fire to the keyboard. I was in the room. If I could have yanked the battery then it wouldn't have escalated to a fire that burned my table and a large hole in my lawn.

That's simply bad and dangerous design.

Tried to talk to someone at apple and I got absolutely nothing back. So insurer sorted it out.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2015, 10:05:04 am »

+1
For years I have been using the Lenovo ThinkPad's and they are just perfect, if you take their good quality one, either
"p" in the name for professional series or the "W" for the workstation series.
Actually the "W" series is so good, it runs my CAD software more stable and faster than on my normal workstation.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:33 am »

+1
For years I have been using the Lenovo ThinkPad's and they are just perfect, if you take their good quality one, either
"p" in the name for professional series or the "W" for the workstation series.
Actually the "W" series is so good, it runs my CAD software more stable and faster than on my normal workstation.

Yep this. I've got an X-series (X201) -  the tiny ones. It's 4 years old but it has a docking station and I have two 17" Lenovo monitors and a keyboard and wireless mouse attached to it. Just plonk it down, shut the lid and it's a workstation class machine. i7, 16Gb of RAM, 256Gb Samsung SSD. Proper scary fast machine.

However I'm now sitting in the car with it on my lap while the better half has a hospital appointment, thanks to the 3G card it has built in and the battery has 7 hours left...

And it cost me less than a new Chromebook last year including the docking station and monitors!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf