Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1450909 times)

Offline WOPR73

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1425 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:28 am »
Hello Guys & Gals,

I am new to the world of electronics. Last time I built something was high school electronics, where we built an alarm. I started messing around with Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Etc; I have always been good with computers, but after I found out you can plug things into them... and program them!!!! Then I couldn't stop. Had to know how everything worked. So, what does one do? Go shopping? NO! You take things a part in your house first. Then you go shopping and replace the things you can figure out how to put back together. lol  :wtf: So, I went out and got a few things... I have the basic stuff...kinda.  :D  I just bought a Rigol DS1074Z that I hope to be upgraded.  ::) For a first Oscilloscope... I hope that I made the right choice.  :-+  :--  Didn't want to spend a lot and didn't feel up to the challenge of DIY, DIY sound card or portables. So, after further review from this forum I bought one. Any and all help or advice is welcome. I am here to learn always looking for a good mentor.   :-//

WOPR73

Offline beginner

• Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: April 16, 2014, 07:29:49 am »
Hello everyone,

Pretty much a total beginner with this kind of stuff but have had a life long interest in computers / technology and have always enjoyed tinkering with software.  Have basically ended up here as my raspberry pi projects have begun to expand into projects requiring more electrical knowledge - have found the youtube videos fantastic and decided it was time to join up here.

I have an interest in a great many things and enjoy some pretty intense hobbies already, as such I'm not really looking to build up an extreme lab or take on anything too large too quickly, but would like to build up a reasonable understanding over time and share my little projects as I go.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #1427 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:05 am »
Hi all;

Just registered on this forum and wanted to test the ability to actually make a posting. I'm retired about 6 years now after working for around 30 years at a large oil refinery working on process control systems and instrumentation. Prior to that I worked around 10 years as a field service engineer working on mini-computer system in the 70s. Prior to that I worked for 4 years in the U.S. Air Force in teletype/crypto maintenance.

I'm mostly active on the Arduino forum and am a big fan of the Arduino and it's community.

Offline BennyBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: April 20, 2014, 12:32:45 am »
Welcome to a pretty good site, altho there's not much love for Americans around these's parts. just keep a thick skin and enjoy it for what it is.

Plus Dave makes Fantastic videos, as he's a natural entertainer. :clap:
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Sell a man a fish, and you'll both eat for a day.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #1429 on: April 20, 2014, 12:34:18 am »
there's not much love for Americans around these's parts. just keep a thick skin

???

s/Americans/Arduino/ maybe ;)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #1430 on: April 20, 2014, 12:39:36 am »
Welcome to a pretty good site, altho there's not much love for Americans around these's parts. just keep a thick skin and enjoy it for what it is.

Plus Dave makes Fantastic videos, as he's a natural entertainer. :clap:

No problem about lack of forum love.  ;)
 Plenty of love around here, still married with two daughters and four grandchildren ages 7 down to 3 weeks old.

I've really enjoyed Dave's video blogs for several years, just never aware there was also a forum and thought I would check it out.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #1431 on: April 20, 2014, 10:02:54 am »
Quote from: BennyBoy
  ... altho there's not much love for Americans around these's parts ... 
Completely untrue ... maybe you're just easier to upset :-) Aussies will "pick on" anyone, even ourselves.
A forum has it's own life, no matter in what country it resides.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline jkf1000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:51 am »
Hell to all, recently registered on the forum but have been watching Daves videos for a long while, My name is Karl and I live in Yorkshire right in the middle of the UK. I got into electronics as a teenager, but then got distracted by things like girls then wife, then kids and now grandchildren, but finally rekindling my initial interests.

My main interests are radio related projects as I hold a full amateur licence, but love building and fault finding.

Things have changed quite a bit over the years, but the basic theory and calculations are still the same. Learning fast and enjoying every minute off it.. Karl.

Offline bobwidlar

• Contributor
  • analog IC design engineer
« Reply #1433 on: April 22, 2014, 02:56:49 am »
Hi all,

I'm Burak. I'm originally from Turkey but currently a master student in Delft Univ. of Tech. in the Netherlands. I'm interested in analog & mixed-signal IC design, especially precision stuff. I taped out a 21-bit instrumentation ADC (DC measurements only), designed its test PCB, measured and characterized it for months. (For anybody who is interested: 15-ppm INL 0.5-ppm DNL over 3.6-V-pp full scale input).  Now, I just taped-out a 20-bit audio ADC, and designing its measurement PCB. I'm planning to open a discussion topic on the setup, but first give me some time to get familiar with the forum.

I enjoy Dave's videos quite a lot and find quite a lot of stuff to learn. Teardowns are my favorites! I play with those instruments, but Dave takes 'em apart!

Offline ddummy

« Reply #1434 on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »
hi all,

my name is daniel. I am interest hardware modifications however i'm a newbie. I hope I can gain some experiences from you experts.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:39 am »
Hi, I'm Martin,  .......... I'm an Alcoholic           LOL

Seriously though, this section of the forum sounds like an AA Meeting.. doesn't it

OK... i'll start over and do a proper introduction

Hi Guys My Name is Martin, (I'm not actually and alcoholic),   I'm BTO on the Forum
MY PM's are unblocked

I"m 40 Years of age

I"m a Computer Engineer and Telecommunications Technician
I've been in this game for over 13 years now, Running a Small Successful Business.

the Services i offer my clients are
Computers and Networks
Satellite
TV Antenna
Intercom Systems
Phone Lines and Broadband

However i've been tinkering with Electronics since i was about 6 or so
I think i started pulling stuff apart when i was about 4 (it was my Bugs Bunny Clock)

Anyway, Long Story short, I've got a lot of experience in a lot of different fields.

I'm happy to help anyone that i can, so if anyone has any questions for me

Feel Free to PM me

I've been on the forum now for about a few weeks and i just realized this page existed

BE COOL GUYS
see you all on the forum
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BennyBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:36 pm »
I know all about Aussies, as I've met dozens of Drunk Aussies, as I've traveled all over the world. ;D. FYI, forums don't get me upset. ;)

Quote from: BennyBoy
  ... altho there's not much love for Americans around these's parts ... 
Completely untrue ... maybe you're just easier to upset :-) Aussies will "pick on" anyone, even ourselves.
A forum has it's own life, no matter in what country it resides.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Sell a man a fish, and you'll both eat for a day.

Offline tomkinsc

« Reply #1437 on: April 29, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »
Hi! Nice to meet you all!
I have a BS in Bioinformatics, graduated from RIT in 2012, and worked for a year at a Bay Area biotech company developing PCBs for medical diagnostic products.
Now I'm studying for the MCAT and working on my side project, TakeItApart.com, a site for sharing photo-based teardown guides.  :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:45:15 am by tomkinsc »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: May 01, 2014, 03:31:31 pm »
The question is rather, did it work when it was put back together? I know a lot of stuff I took apart did not work before I got it, and some definitely did not work after I was finished with it. Some did work but I destroyed it.

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: May 02, 2014, 08:17:46 am »
I'm Les,  just an old newby , been putting stuff together for 50 years , worked as service engineer for 30 in UK , now have lots of time but little cash  :D   
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline xcoder

• Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: May 03, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
hi this yassine from morocco im a electrician i fix medical equipment for living and from morocco
im not that good with electronics
i use to fix laptops im good with software im better with vulnerabilities ;)

ask anything you want ill happy to help if i can and here is a pic of my tiny workshop 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:58:57 pm by xcoder »

Offline hammondlewis

« Reply #1441 on: May 07, 2014, 11:11:44 am »
Hi, I'm Gene from Melbourne, Aus. I work in film as a visual effects compositor and am into electronics as a hobby - building analog synth stuff, etc.

Offline Isad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: May 07, 2014, 11:12:41 am »
Hi all
Iam Isad from Albania :)!My full name is Isad Golemi  ;D!I am a EE student at high school and i am interested in evry type of electronics! :-+
I do some youtube videos so feel free to take a look at them!

Lifes to Short Make the Most of It

My youtube channel: http://goo.gl/yMdPzQ

Offline Ephex

« Reply #1443 on: May 08, 2014, 03:46:50 am »
Hi all
I'm alex from Sheffield, England
Newbnerd. What little i do know about electronics is learned from the internet (cheers, dave). General hacker and maker of simple things, plagued with ideas (often impossible). Been playing about for a few years and looking to expand my knowledge. Found eevblog when looking for a new DMM and it has fuelled the fire of my love for electronics

anyway, enough about me... back to the nerdage :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:53:41 am by Ephex »

Offline johnsonsteven1986

« Reply #1444 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:27 am »
Hi, my name is Steven. I am a student at ITT tech. I am currently doing an assignment that requires me to extend my network so i figured a well known forum in my study would be the way to go. I live in Kings Mountain, NC and love fixing things, especially electronics. My goal is to start my own electronics repair business so if anyone has any tips for me please let me know.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: May 10, 2014, 01:05:20 am »
A little late to put on my name tag, but here goes..

*taps mic*

I've been casually into electronics for nearly my whole life.  I'm sure my parents have pics of me holding a soldering iron well before I was allowed to use one unsupervised.  But, lately I've gotten more serious about it.  I've always wanted to build stuff, and finally realized that I spent a lot of time thinking of what I could do "some day" instead of actually learning how to do it.  So, a couple years ago I bought a 555 IC and some parts, and then got an Arduino for Christmas shortly after, and now I have a spare room full of Digikey boxes (one is a trash can, others are used for sorting parts), I've lost thousands of dollars to my component inventory, and I'm psyching myself up for my first SMD PCB design which may or may not end up using an ARM Cortex M4 processor.  (I owe the SMD part to the courage I got from watching Dave's soldering tutorial videos and thinking, "sheesh, I could do that!")  In short, I'm doing stuff I couldn't have dreamed of a few short years ago.

I also like programming.  I look at finished C code like one might admire a painting.  I'm kind of awkward at parties unless there are other nerds around.  :-// Don't say much in elevators....

Alright, enough. ;D Cheers.

Offline Dr Wobble

• Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: May 11, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »
Hello all from rainy England.I'm old in years,relatively speaking but new to electronics. Back in the early 80's I got into electronics, declined a place in college studying TV and Radio repair and instead led the life of a vagabond,libertine and tit head for 30 years. Got back into electronics some 4 years ago. Self educated via books/forum's etc. Mainly interested in audio/amplification but not exclusively.

Life away from the bench = single Dad to a fiesty six year old daughter,part time musician,
unreconstructed tree hugger,cynic,pessamystic oppatamist, bad speller and occasional dypsomaniac. Andy.

Offline yramgu

• Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
Hi everybody,

My name's Yann, I recently graduated with a Master's from the EE department of INSA Lyon (a French engineering school) and now work as an RF Engineer for a small company in Grenoble.
As electronics is my passion, I also do quite a lot of stuff at home and love following this blog :)

Cheers

Offline rauloliv

• Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »
Hello guys

I've been reading post on the forum i decided to register.
I'm a tech with +15 years experience in consumer electronics repairs.

Bye bye

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #1449 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »
Hi

Stumbled upon the EEVblog when my brother was searching for electronics vids on YouTube the first ever one we watched was back in early 2013 it was how to set up your own electronics lab :-+ (no I couldn't give it a thumbs up on you tube because I don't Have a Google ??? account but it's still :-+) I joined the forum just before 2014 an it's great :clap: :).
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf