Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1327127 times)

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Review of Owon SDS7102
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:54 am »
I'm sorry. There have been error in Guide.  One pcture have dropped out. (picture 4. missing)

Here it is now corrected.

Illustrated Guide for Assembly and Disassembly Owon SDS improved version

Note for FAN:

Findings in service:
If you hear some abnormal noise just after start or shaking/turning oscilloscope to different orientation.
FAN maybe positioned just littlebit wrong in factory. It need be enough well centered to air hole in Z-plate. Other way there is possible that fan blade(s) hit this Z-plate edge becouse rotor can move some amount axial direction just enough.
Repair: Loose screws and ceter (it can move enough).
This may also damage fan sleeve bearing. Check. If bad bearing: fan need of course change.
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #526 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »
Hi

I've encountered another odd problem with my SDS7102 oscilloscope. When I was moving some of my stuff around I had it disconnected from the power gird over the night and when I powered it up again it wouldnt boot, and a red light instead of the green one was present. After a while in standby-mode the red light turns green, and when I turn it on the green turns red. When waiting even longer it'll boot up correctly but the settings are lost. (Measurements etc.)

Owon sent me a replacement power supply which I replaced today. Hopefully it'll fix the above problem.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
When waiting even longer it'll boot up correctly but the settings are lost. (Measurements etc.)

Owon sent me a replacement power supply which I replaced today. Hopefully it'll fix the above problem.

This settings lost is littlebit strange.
Normally it store settings last used after some time period. If change something and just shut off, it have not stored there. If wait some short time (seconds) it store settings in use and after startup it come bac to last state.
It loose also this?

There are also memory for save many different user settings what can later call from memory. It loose these?

How is time/date? Also loosed?

-----

Inside scope is one rechargeable very small capacity Lithium battery. Only just some mAh's.
But even after long time it dot normally loose memories. After just short power on time it have charged enough and normally keeping memory take very very small power.  It feels littlebit strange this kind of power unit failure affect this memory loose.
But, after you change it you know more. You have seen this aghp guide new version about disassemble and assemble.
Owon own service manual (V1.0) is totally obsolete.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »
Actually, I just saw aghps guide for disassembling. Although I figured it out myself. Wasnt really hard.

Offline eurisko

• Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »
So does the Owon SDS7102V brings the Lan adapter?

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #530 on: January 14, 2012, 09:04:41 am »
Actually, I just saw aghps guide for disassembling. Although I figured it out myself. Wasnt really hard.

It is not hard. If people have some skill and some experience it is easy. We need remember there are many kind of peoples with different level of skills and experiences.
With wrong way it is easy also make some damages.
We have Owon service for our customers. Also in service, quality is one most important thing. We need do our works so that even if we handle new or nearly new units they need be just as before our work. Or better.
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #531 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:01 am »
So does the Owon SDS7102V brings the Lan adapter?

If it is older version, no. New versions have LAN as default.

V meand factory option VGA. This opition is not free. It can do only in factory.

LAN is today factory default and independent about VGA option.

Owon start this new HW production some time inside 4Q2011

Offline blueflash

• Contributor
« Reply #532 on: January 14, 2012, 06:18:03 pm »
Did anyone make photos from the LAN chip? I'm thinking about upgrading my SDS8102 to a LAN version by myself. Therefore I need to know what chip is used. I would prefere photos of devices with LAN and the older Layout (as mine), but photos from the newer Layout could be helpful as well.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: January 14, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »
Did anyone make photos from the LAN chip? I'm thinking about upgrading my SDS8102 to a LAN version by myself. Therefore I need to know what chip is used. I would prefere photos of devices with LAN and the older Layout (as mine), but photos from the newer Layout could be helpful as well.

New version 7102 LAN have this:

http://www.arrownac.com/services-tools/design-tools/arrowedge/parts/2009/vol2/pdfs/micrel_datasheet_ksz8851snl.pdf

I do not know new 8102 where is also LAN.

Old 7102 without LAN and new 7102 with LAN:  Main board is new and different. It have lot of differencies but also of course lot of same. Layout have changed much. Also example VGA chip is now on the main board.

Btw: How about FW for old main board including added LAN?
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #534 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:16 pm »
Btw: How about FW for old main board including added LAN?

the major problem with Owon DSOs is that they not using Linux, so you can't just "use a driver".

From the fw dump taken from the models without LAN i know that there is no driver inside, which means
ppl who wish to solder LAN chip need dump from newer DSOs.

On the other side when i look deeper into the firmware updates, there is nothing which looks like
a "driver" or "driver area" in flash and i really doubt that Owon would make a fw updater
which is NOT able to update all areas.

This means the "driver" is already implemented into the os file (which is the main app) and all
you guys need is just to solder missing parts.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #535 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »
Here small picture

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #536 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
nice, seems to match the old PCB pinout.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #537 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:32 pm »
Dont' know if this is the right thread, but I post this here since it
was briefly discussed before.
Handling 2x10Mpoints data dump from sds7102 is not easy.
So I thought to extract the data directly from .bin file and plot them
with a script.
For anyone familiar with python programming and for anyone
that wants to try I attach a small script.
It decodes the owon bin file, plots the waveform and
exports the data in a compressed matlab file format.
I'm starting with python, and this was a learning excercise,
anybody with some time and skills maybe can use it as
starting point for a better interface to load, show and analyze
the data.
The scripts uses python 2.7.2, numpy and scipy for
plotting and saving in matlab format.
The numpy and scipy package should contain many
functions for advanced data analysis, I've had no
time yet to study them.
If you have python numpy and scipy installed
just run owonreader_01.py
it should be self-explanatory.

Fabio.

P.S.
Thanks to aghp with his help in providing me
some key info.

Edit addendum:
if you download python, and install IDLE,
dont' run this app trough it, start it in a command
line terminal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:55:48 am by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline DaMaDo

• Contributor
  • Mechanical Engineering Student interested in EE
« Reply #538 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »
My main hesitation when buying products like this from far away places is due to the service issues and time it can take to get any problems taken care of.

So I'm writing this as my experience in Owon's (and ebay's smtzone's) post purchase customer service.

As I mentioned on page 34 of this thread, my unit had a bad burning smell and self-shutoff right after doing the self cal and connecting it to the probe compensator thing. After that it seemed to work fine, but I wanted to exchange it since that just shouldn't happen and I was worried about future issues.

I had purchased it from smtzone on ebay and when I told them about the problem they were immediately willing to exchange it and always answered my emails within the hour.

Within one business day they gave me Owon's address and DHL account number to ship it back to Owon. I also had the option of smtzone sending me one from the USA immedately after giving them the tracking number, or getting the absolute latest from Owon directly but waiting for mine to get there before Owon shipped a new one. I liked this choice.

I chose to wait and get one directly from Owon.

I sent mine out to Owon from a UPS store (they ship DHL too) using Owon's own account # (so no cost to me) on Monday, January 9th and it arrived that Thursday my time (EST) which was Friday Fujian time (Friday Jan 13th).

Owon sent out a new replacement Monday the 16th and it arrived today, Thursday the 19th. That's damn fast for going to China from Miami, FL and back.

The model I had before was SDS71021152*** and the new one is SDS71021203*** (same 2.5.1)

I was very happy with the speed of service and excellent communication from both Owon and smtzone. So if you're worried about buying from China because of any red tape or delays, hopefully my experience can help you decide. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Owon product from smtzone (aidetek).

Oh, my scope came with the battery but was told to ship it back without it. Owon sent the new scope with the battery cover instead of leaving it open (like when I shipped it back to them). It's nice having this cover for when I don't need the battery for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:01:29 pm by DaMaDo »

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #539 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:36 am »
This is just how it need work.

Owon have take big step to better customer care.  Of course  it is not ready - it can do better. I know they want continue to develop it better.

This is also how we do as Owon reseller here locally. Also this why we do not offer direct warranty time repair service to other country - due to high shippng prices inside Europe. From some EU countries it is more wise to use factory RMA procedure.  All units are with full Owon factory warranty! If customer want we also help to solve these practical things between end user and Owon.  What we do for reduce need of this RMA procedure? Before we accept unit for sell to end user, we make tests for every single units. For this we use around 3 day "burn in" (small pre ageing) phase and after then we check all is normal in this meaning what is normal Owon quality. If we find any problems we send units back to factory before selling. This can not of course eliminate random rare fails but it is much better than nothing. With this system risk for get "monday" unit.

Locally in our country we can do, with special price, even better than Owon itself in clear warranty fail cases. We can (in some situations) repair or change unit extremely fast.  Some business customers want this extra service.

btw. One reason for this extremely fast case what DaMaDo tell is maybe also that in China just now start long holiday. There is Spring Festival.  First many peoples want "table is clear" after new "year" start and also all know in China that next week all is closed. So if not keep hurry it go after Spring Festival and it takes long time before all systems are agen in normal state.

(small note: overseas warranty is valid only for units what Owon have manufactured and sold for overseas markets. There may be some chinese sellers who do not care this and then they "promise" full warranty even maybe so that Owon pay all. I have direct words from high chair in Owon that overseas full warranty is valid only for units what really have sold to overseas market originally from Owon.)

-aghp

Offline Muxa52

• Contributor
« Reply #540 on: January 22, 2012, 04:42:45 am »
I apologize for a long time did not go to the forum  :'(
This is nice information. Now know that also DS7102  1143xxx is "new" version?  ( becouse LAN)
What is your version? V4.2.1  ?
Your seller have add "gift"? This one extra BNC cable. Not big value but something.
Abaut shows firmware version 2.3
And yes, the seller put in my free gift. BNC cable 1:1 with hooks. Not very applicable in practice, but it's nice.
I do not know, can I speak here, bought the DSO at seller eelab. Please do not assume advertising, but I received a very positive impression and 15% discount (sale action). In addition, I asked billed in Canadian dollars and receiv a savings of $ 10 to convert currencies.
You can e-mail  Owon support to get the latest 2.4.1 version.
Thank you! I will write a request. Although the device works perfectly.
For all the time there was only one case of a locking firmware, which I was not able to reproduce later. I suspect that it was associated with a strong emission to the power supply unit.
The fan is quite acceptable. It is heard only late at night. In the daytime noise I can not hear it. I guess I was lucky  ;)

Interestingly, when on battery power, my oscilloscope sees the first 2 channels of television and several FM radio stations. Admission is on a piece of wire long 5-7cm (2-3 inches). Sensitivity 5mV / div
Sensitivity 2mV is not suitable, because the limiter enabled to 20MHz band width

Offline blueflash

• Contributor
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »
A short review from my side after using my OWON SDS8102 for 2 Months. At first - I didn't get any firmware update for my device til know. I'm still using the 2.0 which came with the device. My dealer promised me that OWON will provide a download area on their hompage (for mid of december) but nothing happens. A little bit disappointing. I think I must contact my (official german) dealer again.

Another thing - I noticed a self discharge of my battery. After 1 or 2 weeks without using the battery was completely discharged, means dead. No reaction of the device. Do anyone have the same behaviour?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:27:53 am by blueflash »

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »

Another thing - I noticed a self discharge of my battery. After 1 or 2 weeks without using the battery was completely discharged, means dead. No reaction of the device. Do anyone have the same behaviour?

Just checked my sds7102 after about 10 days of inactivity, battery indicator is half, I remember that last time was charged, but
i'm not sure 100%. Probably it will not be used in the near future, so I'll check next week.
aghp or rf-loop is it possible to measure battery voltage without dismantling the instrument?
Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »

Just checked my sds7102 after about 10 days of inactivity, battery indicator is half, I remember that last time was charged, but
i'm not sure 100%. Probably it will not be used in the near future, so I'll check next week.
aghp or rf-loop is it possible to measure battery voltage without dismantling the instrument?
Fabio.

With power off, battery installed.
There is some power consumption.

Example it keep 2.5V reference powered and also some other small things.

Battery indicator do not show capacity left. It is, I tink so, very simple voltage indicator and this we know it is far away linear if think capacity.

So If battery indicator is just dropped around half, it do not mean that half capacity is discharged.

Personally I do not like that power unit is "active" if scope is shut off.

If battery is fully discharged, inside battery electronics shut off battery terminal so that it can only take current but can not give out. This is for disable deep discharge)

I have not measured battery discharge current when scope is shut off.

But example Vref (2.5V) looks like take something near 6mA. Alone this means 1.4Ah @ 10 day.
This and some other small consumption and also Li self discharge may explain some amount of what you have seen on battery indicator just also as it it not linear for Ah or Wh capacity)
This time I do not know what is total consumption!

But this need littlebit more study. I now have a hurry and therefore did not have the opportunity to do it well enough.  I will try delegate this to some other person who is not so busy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:30:06 pm by rf-loop »

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #544 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:02 am »

Yes, mine does.
I hate devices which drain the battery when they are off. This always result in a dead battery when you need it most.
Is any workaround for this? Can a switch be installed that disconnect the battery completely?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: February 04, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

Yes, mine does.
I hate devices which drain the battery when they are off. This always result in a dead battery when you need it most.
Is any workaround for this? Can a switch be installed that disconnect the battery completely?

Not with these switches what are there now.

Of course if want modify it can do with separate switch.

I do not understand why they use these some circuits powered by battery in case scope is shut off or battery is not charged. There is no reason.
Maybe this design is from some other system what have need something and then it is modified for use in this scope without deep thinking. Who knows.

Offline blueflash

• Contributor
« Reply #546 on: February 07, 2012, 09:59:39 am »
Hi there, some news about firmware updates. OWON did not make the firmware available on their homepage, but now they provided my official dealer with download links to serial number dependent patches. These links are at a share hoster! Curious. Unfortunately I only found  patches for SDS6062 and SDS7102 but not for SDS8102, so I'm waiting again for the right link. The rar archives are about 100MB big, if someone is interrested...

edit: link deleted because of copyright   :'(

The Firmwareversion is 2.7.1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:28:10 pm by blueflash »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #547 on: February 07, 2012, 10:47:55 am »

But example Vref (2.5V) looks like take something near 6mA.

Small update for this.

It seems that current is totally around 7.5mA if battery is nearly discharged (measured).  More if battery is full (becouse voltage is more).
Some kind of good estimate may be between 8-10mA.

battery nominal capacity is 8000mAh.

If it is 10mA it means around 800 hour. (littlebit over one month)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: February 07, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »
Hi there, some news about firmware updates. OWON did not make the firmware available on their homepage, but now they provided my official dealer with download links to serial number dependent patches. These links are at a share hoster! Curious. Unfortunately I only found  patches for SDS6062 and SDS7102 but not for SDS8102, so I'm waiting again for the right link. The rar archives are about 100MB big, if someone is interrested..
I'd be very interested in the link for the 8102 as soon as you got one.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #549 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »

battery nominal capacity is 8000mAh.

If it is 10mA it means around 800 hour. (littlebit over one month)

Thank you rf-loop for your info,
do you know also what happens when battery is low?
I suppose there is some low voltage protection in intrument and/or battery management circuit.
Does this trip at a "safe" voltage?
If not one should be adviced to remove the battery when the instrument is not used for long,
or recharge periodically.
Fabio.

P.S. All this to me seem bad design.
Fabio Eboli.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf