Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1107018 times)

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
So, I have my LAN board working nicely thanks to Zucca's clarifications of some of the signals. I'll post up a schematic in the next day or three, but here's some pics.

First pic is my lan board (most of the resistor options etc are to cover any cathode/anode polarity issues with the LEDs - before Zucca provided the additional details, and if a regulator would be needed for the termination network in the magjack). This is a picture prior to cutting out a slot in the edge connector and trimming the excess board material. This PCB was on a 'panel', so it was cut from a large rectangular panel of various other test boards etc.

After trimming it was a perfect fit into the edge connector in my dsox scope.

I carefully measured the length of the board so that it would fit snugly into the pocket with the plan to cut a hole for the magjack to stick out. By choosing the length 'just right' the original plastic clip/panel snaps nicely into place and supports the magjack end of the board and prevents it moving in any direction. Worked out nearly factory :)

LEDs work, board works and I can access it via the webpage for full control. I used telnet to update the 2 required files that open up the licenses inside the scope. This halves the boot time (compared to the USB drive) but more importantly allows the webpage access to work. As someone else in this thread found, if you boot from a USB drive the webpage stuff doesn't work and reports an error.

Of course (as per the other DIY lan boards), the scope doesn't recognise it, so it doesn't appear in the utility->I/O menu, but all the configuration stuff can be done via the webpage server. In my case I put it at a static IP (starts off working since it gets an IP from a DHCP service on the network.

cheers,
george.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, tonyc

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
< snip >
...This halves the boot time (compared to the USB drive) but more importantly allows the webpage access to work. As someone else in this thread found, if you boot from a USB drive the webpage stuff doesn't work and reports an error.
cheers,
george.

Thank you georges80 for mentioning this information about the webpage!  I encountered the webpage errors two days ago and the situation was just as described earlier in this thread, and it was inconvenient because I could not grab screenshots quickly to the PC.  It's good to know that editing the files on the local system will let the web browser access work as needed.  I have to do this update soon!

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all

I built a board up kindly provided by dunkemhigh. It seems to get an IP address, I can ping it but when I try to load the webpage it just reboots instantly. Is this a known issue when booting from a usb stick?

Thanks

Trev

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
When running from a USB drive and I try to access the webpage interface I do NOT get a reboot. What I get is an error message from the browser (firefox, IE etc, doesn't matter, same error message).

The solution (maybe there are others) is to transfer the license patches INTO the scope, i.e. the two files (as per mwilson's posts) get written to the scope and then boot from the scope. Does you lan card work ok (accesses the webpage correctly) if you boot from the scope (remove the USB drive)?

Another test to make sure your lan card is working is to telnet to the scope (login/password have been posted earlier in this thread -> infiniivision/skywalker1977 if I remember correctly). Telnet works just fine even if you have booted from a USB drive.

cheers,
george.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
So, I made my own LAN card and of course it isn't recognised/displayed in the I/O settings like all the other DIY lan cards. I remember seeing a comment by Plesa about pin 78 appearing maybe like a 'detect' pin. Looking at the pictures Zucca posted, there's a 0 ohm resistor and from his measurements it make pin 78 ground potential.

Plesa mentioned he had issues when he connected pin 78/80 (he used kapton on other pins of his vga/lan card). Anyhow, I figured I'd try to connect pin 78 to pin 80 on my DIY lan board. I get no errors (that he reported), BUT I now have the dsox2000 recognising that there is a LAN card plugged in. Menu now has all the Lan Configuration menu stuff active. The IP address (static in my case) is being populated correctly as per my router setup as soon as I plugged in the lan cable.

I'll post up more details in a bit - just got this working and now need to play with it a little :)

cheers,
george.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Well done bro! I knew there was potential in you... I'm glad I was a part of this project. The next step would be setting up a HDMI interface there... but it is not as important as a LAN! Well... Who cares now about a external monitor interface...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Zucca, thanks for the pics and your connection info, definitely was what I needed to get my lan board running.

Here's the 'patch' to make the dsox recognise the lan card:

and this is proof :)

cheers,
george.

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
I am so happy that LAN adapter is fully functional!
Even most wanted feature for me: SCPI over port 5024.
Here is screenshoots taken by VNC.

Many thanks for all contributors in this project.

Georg

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Here's the 'patch' to make the dsox recognise the lan card:

Blinding work, that man  :-+

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
The mod georges80 made to the existing rear panel plug is what I had in mind, but when it came to putting knife to plastic I had a change of heart - it is rather final if one should screw up.

So, instead, I milled a but of PCB to the right size and affixed that to the LAN PCB with a couple of right-angle brackets. If I'd though to do this before sending off the gerbers I would have included the holes in the PCB, but they came out not too badly free-hand.

I used PCB pillars as extensions to have something to grip to pull the card out. They also make it easier to align the card when fitting it, but it now occurs to me that a flat blade could be inserted into the top and bottom cutout (where the clips on the real thing latch), so ejecting it isn't the problem I thought it might be. So at some point I'll remove the pillars and have the screw heads sitting flush.

So, not as pretty as either of the other DIY mods, but it's a bit easier and not fatal if you get it wrong.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
I ordered a 3D Printer... can´t wait to start to play with and fix all those above described problems about enclosures. I´m quite surprised nobody is already came up with a sketchup .stl file.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
surprised nobody is already came up with a sketchup .stl file

Don't know about anyone else, but I haven't because I have no experience of designing enclosures for 3D printing. I want to get this done reasonably quickly and then move on to using the scope, rather than spend the next 6 months learning how not to spend as much as the scope cost on making a plastic box to fit in it. But feel free to show us how it's done, optionally offering to sell us said boxes  :-+

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
I am in need of some help for booting from a USB Stick on my DSO-X 2002A, that I just bought used.
It came with  Firmware 2.35 is installed.
Options:
- EDK, Wavegen is permanently activated
- LAN/VGA Module is installed.

After reading this thread, I followed the instructions.
First the scope did not want to boot from a USB stick, but after formatting the stick with FAT16 it is booting ok.
After the bootup I am getting the message "All Options enabled"
But when I look in the "About Oscilloscope" window, the options are not installed
Instead I see: BW20, VID, CABLE, SCPIPS

The first picture below is normal bootup
the following three pictures are from the USB bootup.

Can someone explain to me, what I might have done wrong.
In addition to the bootup from the USB stick, do I need to do anything else?
Thanks for any advise

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Another dunkemhigh LAN board soldered up and installed :-) It gets recognized by the scope (georges80 hack by shortening the two pins), but during boot it does give an error 'System concers detected -LAN/VGA option module fault'. I guess this is because there's no VGA things happening on the board. Do yours also show the error after booting?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:24:31 pm by WVL_KsZeN »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
No LAN/VGA errors/warning when I boot my scope up. The only 'warning' is the license hack. I have installed the license hack into my scope - rather than booting from a USB flash drive (not sure if that makes any difference). Try booting yours without the USB flash drive (if that's how you are booting)... just as a test.

cheers,
george.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
My scope is not hacked :-) No usb drives here.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Hmm - well, I get no lan/vga errors/concerns/warnings. Maybe check that the card is inserted well and there's no shorts or issues with the edge connector/card mating.

cheers,
george.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
I just applied the pin 78/80 mod to my PCB, and additionally copied the dll to internal flash so I don't need the USB stick. On boot I still get the message "Booting from USB" although it boots without a USB stick! No LAN/VGA error message, and dropping into the I/O menus I can see and set the LAN parameters fine.

I feel a bit guilty that mine works but two I sent to other people don't. Maybe another recipient could pop up and say if theirs works...

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
weird.. double checked my soldering and measured all the values. All values OK and no shorts. Reseated the board, but still the 'concern' remains.. hmmm..

Pulling out the multimeter, I do measure some strange values at the magjack.. when looking at the card from the bottom, with the magjack to the left, I measure the following on the row of 6 pins :

highest pin (closest to capacitor, let's call it pin 1) to pin 2 = 0.4 ohms.
pin 1 to pin 3 also 0.4 ohms!
pin 1 to pin 4 also 0.4 ohms!
pin 1 to pin 5 also 0.4 ohms,
pin 1 to pin 6 0.1 ohms.

but i didnt make any shorts on the bottom side while soldering.. maybe the casing of the magjack is shorting the traces together on the upper side of the board? There's no solder mask here.. No.. between pins and magjack = OL.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:40:56 pm by WVL_KsZeN »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
I measure:

1 - 2 = 6R
1 - 3 = 5R8
2 - 3 = 6R7

1,2,3 - 4,5,6 = 0R

6 - 5 = 6R
6 - 4 = 5R8
5 - 4 = 6R7

This is a standalone magjack (same order as the one you have). Yours is shorting somehow - if there is nothing external doing it it has to be a bum magjack. If you can confirm that I'll send you this spare.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Will desolder The magjack andere check it next monday!

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
No LAN/VGA errors/warning when I boot my scope up. The only 'warning' is the license hack. I have installed the license hack into my scope - rather than booting from a USB flash drive (not sure if that makes any difference). Try booting yours without the USB flash drive (if that's how you are booting)... just as a test.

cheers,
george.
I thought when you installed the hack directly to the scope it didnt give the warning and booted as normal?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
I get the same values when I measure my board. Magjack code is : RJMG163218101NR

weird.. double checked my soldering and measured all the values. All values OK and no shorts. Reseated the board, but still the 'concern' remains.. hmmm..

Pulling out the multimeter, I do measure some strange values at the magjack.. when looking at the card from the bottom, with the magjack to the left, I measure the following on the row of 6 pins :

highest pin (closest to capacitor, let's call it pin 1) to pin 2 = 0.4 ohms.
pin 1 to pin 3 also 0.4 ohms!
pin 1 to pin 4 also 0.4 ohms!
pin 1 to pin 5 also 0.4 ohms,
pin 1 to pin 6 0.1 ohms.

but i didnt make any shorts on the bottom side while soldering.. maybe the casing of the magjack is shorting the traces together on the upper side of the board? There's no solder mask here.. No.. between pins and magjack = OL.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
pins 1 and 6 are shorted on the PCB, so the 0R1 is expected there. 1 and 6 are also the center tap of the two channel magnetics, so you will see some connection between all pins when it's mounted on the PCB. But 0R4 is rather low.

The datasheet for the magjack is here:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/71713.pdf

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor

cheers,
george.
I thought when you installed the hack directly to the scope it didnt give the warning and booted as normal?

No, the hack will give a warning error regardless of USB boot or internal flash boot. Basically the scope likely must checksum/crc or somehow sign the files to determine if something has been 'altered/damaged/changed'.

cheers,
george.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf