Author Topic: Spectrum Analyzer - Rigol DSA815  (Read 619231 times)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
Re: Spectrum Analyzer - Rigol DSA815
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2014, 12:11:08 pm »
I read it in mikrocontroller.net. when pressed in order..

TRACE> TG> MARKER FCTN> MEAS SETUP> SYSTEM> PRINT SETUP> STORAGE

a hidden item 'ph noise opt' is unabled in system menu. Somebody played with it?

Assuming you mean this post: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/323002

I just tested it, and after pressing the magic button sequence I cannot find any new entries in the System menu. That's with firmware 00.0.1.08.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2014, 02:21:41 pm »
I read it in mikrocontroller.net. when pressed in order..

TRACE> TG> MARKER FCTN> MEAS SETUP> SYSTEM> PRINT SETUP> STORAGE

a hidden item 'ph noise opt' is unabled in system menu. Somebody played with it?

Assuming you mean this post: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/323002

I just tested it, and after pressing the magic button sequence I cannot find any new entries in the System menu. That's with firmware 00.0.1.08.

00.0.1.08 also. Worked for me. A message briefly popped up "Welcome to Maintenance Mode" and there are additional items in the System menu.

The Ph Noise Opt item was enabled on my unit.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »
00.0.1.08 also. Worked for me. A message briefly popped up "Welcome to Maintenance Mode" and there are additional items in the System menu.

The Ph Noise Opt item was enabled on my unit.
Redid it, and it indeed works. I'm pretty sure I pressed "Meas" instead of "Meas Setup" in my previous attempts. In addition to the Ph Noise Thingy there's also some logging and calibration info like Ref DAC, Cal DAC and LO DAC.

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2014, 03:02:45 pm »
Ok for me also.
After the special sequence (touch in x arrangement) :
System -> Service -> Signal Ctrl Ph Noise Opt, and is on by default.

I have a problem, possibly simple or already explained in the post : if I save a setup, and if I recall it after, trace is in "freeze" mode (indicated at left of screen), and if I go in menu "Trace/PF", the "Trace Type" button is in "freeze" state but it's impossible to change it (light gray).
The setup is for EMC test with pass/fail selected (same as described by Dave). More simple setup is in freeze state after recall, but it is possible to change "Trace type" in "Clear Write" for example.

Only solution is then to restart DSA or press "preset" button and redo same setup, but with button. Sure it's simple !

Any idea ?

Edit : found solution. Switch Pass/Fail in "off", then set "Trace type" to "Clear Write" and then set "Pass/Fail" to "on".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:20:03 pm by Lunasix »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »
Ok for me also.
After the special sequence (touch in x arrangement) :
System -> Service -> Signal Ctrl Ph Noise Opt, and is on by default.

I have a problem, possibly simple or already explained in the post : if I save a setup, and if I recall it after, trace is in "freeze" mode (indicated at left of screen), and if I go in menu "Trace/PF", the "Trace Type" button is in "freeze" state but it's impossible to change it (light gray).
The setup is for EMC test with pass/fail selected (same as described by Dave). More simple setup is in freeze state after recall, but it is possible to change "Trace type" in "Clear Write" for example.

Only solution is then to restart DSA or press "preset" button and redo same setup, but with button. Sure it's simple !

Any idea ?

Edit : found solution. Switch Pass/Fail in "off", then set "Trace type" to "Clear Write" and then set "Pass/Fail" to "on".  :palm:
And the real solution is that trace state is saved in a State file apparently. I just saved a Setup with 3 traces in it. Two of those frozen (reference traces) and the 3rd running (Clear Write). When I save that Setup, then power cycle + recall that setup, I get the situation you describe. All traces frozen. However if I also save the State before power cycling, and then recall both the Setup & the State then I get back the original situation. With correct measurement setups and the correct traces running.

This must be the Chinese developer version of "Setup" that I was not previously aware of. Personally I would have liked the trace run state at the time of Save Setup also to be part of that saved setup... But oh well, recall Setup & State gets the job done.

Offline EMC

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2014, 09:14:22 am »
Guys,

Works on mine too.  I was keen to turn it off so I tried a variety of button press patterns.   The only thing I have found is that if the above pattern is moved up one row you get a message "protected command".   Has anyone explored this and found anything?

Steve

Offline johnny_canuck

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:19 pm »
In the Maintenance Mode, the Ref DAC value tweaks the 10 MHz internal clock frequency. There was a Rigol service note about it (since withdrawn from their web site) dated Jan. 30, 2013. I've posted the service note in the Files section of the Yahoo! All Rigol Products group.
I don't have any information about how to use the other DAC functions.

Ken

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »
In the Maintenance Mode, the Ref DAC value tweaks the 10 MHz internal clock frequency. There was a Rigol service note about it (since withdrawn from their web site) dated Jan. 30, 2013. I've posted the service note in the Files section of the Yahoo! All Rigol Products group.
Sounds interesting. :) Do you happen to have a direct link to that document?

Also, thanks for the reference to that yahoo group. Didn't know that one yet. Seems to have some interesting tid bits...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:47:46 pm by mrflibble »

Offline johnny_canuck

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:16 pm »
"Sounds interesting. :) Do you happen to have a direct link to that document?"

Sorry, but I didn't save the original.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:09:39 pm by johnny_canuck »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »

I've attached it here for quick reference, for those without Yahoo Groups account.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:04 pm »
I've attached it here for quick reference, for those without Yahoo Groups account.
Thanks! :)

Offline nicusorflorinel

« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
Question:i want to buy rigol dsa815 ...the DSA815 Tracking-Gen  is a Hardware Option, or just a Software Option?iI can now get licence codes to enable TG or the only option is to buy the rigol DSA815-TG...Thank you

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »
AFAIK it's a hardware option.

Offline nicusorflorinel

« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
rigol dsa815 have  only 1 N-connector  in front side ?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »
Yup. Check the many youtube vids out there.

I haven't seen a side by side comparison of the PCB for the DSA815 vs DSA815-TG, that would be interesting.

On the software side I am confident you can plonk in the missing license for the TG functionality on a regular DSA815. But if the hardware is missing (as in more than just the N connector) then I doubt it makes monetary sense to try to kludge that on.

Translation: unless you can find a known to work plan to go from  DSA815 to DSA815-TG I would get the -TG. I went through the same thing, and I decided to get the -TG.

And you really do want the tracking generator, it's damn handy. Measuring filters is almost too easy now. ;) It also works fairly well as a standalone frequency generator. Just set TG center frequency, set span to zero and there you go, stable sine at your frequency of interest.

Offline nicusorflorinel

« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2014, 06:39:34 pm »
thanks...

Offline KD0RC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2014, 12:23:06 am »
Question:i want to buy rigol dsa815 ...the DSA815 Tracking-Gen  is a Hardware Option, or just a Software Option?iI can now get licence codes to enable TG or the only option is to buy the rigol DSA815-TG...Thank you
The tracking generator option is not upgradeable - if you buy it without, you are stuck with it that way.  The cost of the TG (about $200 USD) is such that it really does not make sense to buy it without, given the utility it provides.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2014, 07:33:43 am »
Quote from the 1.09 release notes:

Version?00.01.09.00.07   Date?2014-05-22
1.      Solve the problem option to be cracked.   M
2.      Compatible hardware version V05.   M
3.      Solve the problem continuous external trigger timing was not right.   M
4.      Solve the problem different version of the data can not be loaded.   M
5.      Solve the problem U disk copy file size more than 6 bytes.   M
6.      Increased Trace Avg Reset function.   E
7.      Increase the accuracy of the calibration function.   E
8.      Solve the problem Marker Table display error.   M
9.      Solve the problem with GPIB card boot, does not match the address to identify the address settings.   M
10.      Completely solution to the problem LXI communication is unstable.   M
11.      Solve the problem read trace data lead to crashes.   M
12.      Solve the problem spelling mistake, Change ‘???’ to ‘???’.   M
13.      Solve the problem after the upgrade from version 00.01.07 to 00.01.09 lead to the type of language from Chinese to English.   M
14.      Solve the problem since the calibration display line value becomes 0dBm.   M

Almost everything is in Chinese in this doc....
Do I want to do this update ?, NO
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:35:49 am by Orange »

Offline Wall-E

• Contributor
  • Stijn
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
DSA815 FW 00.01.09 is available here:  http://cdn1.actonsoftware.com/acton/cdna/1579/f-04ee/0/2
Instructions:  http://cdn1.actonsoftware.com/acton/cdna/1579/f-0312/0/0

Note: I have had several tell me that this new FW is working fine and that all installed options were retained.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:54:37 am by Wall-E »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:48 pm »
Will the upgrade to 1.09 wipe out all our Rigolol activated options?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:47 pm »
What a brave men! Thanks a lot!  >:D

UPDATE 31 May 2014: Before the upgrade under the column "Option Type" there were no texts, after I got the text "Official" as posted by PeDre before.  :clap:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:35:04 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline KD0RC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »
The update worked perfectly for me as well.  My options stayed in place, so now I am 'Offical' too...

I would be interested to know what 'Solve the problem option to be cracked.' means.  My first impression was that they meant 'hacked' instead of 'cracked'.  But since it kept all options (including 10Hz RBW), maybe they meant 'broken' as in the text came out blank on the Option Info screen and is now (mostly) fixed. 

Chenglish to read hard is so as understand to not so much.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:37:33 pm by KD0RC »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2014, 07:41:24 pm »
Upgraded as well, no problems and all licenses remain intact & functional. :-+

cheers,
george.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
Apart from "no loss of installed options", any noticable improvements? I think I'd rather hear it from the people here than the randomized Chinglish release notes.

Offline Boatanchor

« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2014, 10:32:17 pm »
If the 815 has been 'unlocked' prior to the new firmware being installed, there is obviously no way for the software to check if the old keys are legit or not.

However, I wouldn't mind betting that if you applied this latest firmware to a brand new unit or purchased a new 815 with this firmware already installed and then tried to do your magic on it, it probably wouldn't work  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf