Author Topic: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?  (Read 482288 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?
« Reply #675 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »
When Mu eventually dies it would be great if an investigation revealed the true state of the 'prototype' and showed pitures of it. This forum contains many who would be able to analyse and cost the works carried out to date. I doubt they would be impressed !

I would like to see the inexpensive detector for a start !

I am not clear as to what consequences Mu may face if they fold. I presume investment in such a project is considred speculation, and so prone to failure. Fraud would need to be proven so maybe the updates are just an attempt to give the appearance of 'every effort was made to deliver'. It would be nice to see these guys exposed  as numpties to prevent them repeating this sort of mess again in the future.

Then again, we don't want the rantings of an unhappy investor on a 'holy war' , the likes of which we witnessed  here in connetion with some weird Solar collectors  :scared:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:55:33 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
Then again, we don't want the rantings of an unhappy investor on a 'holy war' , the likes of which we witnessed  here in connetion with some weird Solar collectors  :scared:

Heh, you mean the one that wrote like a teenager suffering from Adderall withdrawal?

Anyways, fat chance of an after the facts investigation. No doubt when the time comes the cat's eaten it. And then the house caught fire. And exploded from those gas leaks. And then fell down a sink hole. Also, all the off-site backups have been hacked by malicious h4x0rz that had a grudge against those nice Mu people.

We can only hope the cat escapes all of this unharmed. :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:19 pm »
 :-DD

I LUV CATS
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »
I am not clear as to what consequences Mu may face if they fold. I presume investment in such a project is considred speculation, and so prone to failure.

Bingo.
Mu don't have to answer for squat if they don't want to. People invested money in Mu's dream and they failed.

Fraud would need to be proven so maybe the updates are just an attempt to give the appearance of 'every effort was made to deliver'.

I don't think there is any law that says you have to be competent and efficient in the business you are in. It's trivial to show that some work was done, and you blew all the time and money on that.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2013, 12:13:09 am »
Not sure why he bothers to still write "updates". Anyone with a clue has long since gotten a refund, the rest will just sit there patiently asking for updates but never actually doing anything about it, probably for years.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2013, 07:32:41 am »
E4 review in case anyone missed the other thread.

Someone may get disturbed as you describe non UK and US mains plugs as part of "...weird, foreign, nonsense,... horrible mains plugs", just as the aussie looking plug is discarded ;)

I just watched the video and caught that.  I dunno maybe I'm just trying too hard but every once in a while I see little jabs or indirect references to Dave  in the videos. "DaveCAD Pirate Edition" or the DaveCAD with the scribbling through it.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:14:20 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:18 am »
..."DaveCAD Pirate Edition"...

I think that's just funny, and I would be surprised if Dave was not amused too.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #682 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:08 am »
I think that's just funny, and I would be surprised if Dave was not amused too.

Sure, I get a chuckle every time, it never gets old  :-+

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #683 on: October 17, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #684 on: October 17, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »
There does seem to be some pictures here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mu-thermal-camera-a-great-tool-to-save-on-energy-costs?c=gallery

yes there are, at first they uploaded 600 x 456 images taken with a professional camera, then they uploaded thermal image movie THROUGH A GLASS apartment window (that got taken down immediatelly after someone spotted it, and  re dubbed with a disclaimer explaining its just a 'visualization oh how its gonna look like once its working').
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #685 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »
He does say in the voice-over that it's simulated data.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #686 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »
He does say in the voice-over that it's simulated data.

Ist it what I wrote? They originally uploaded it as a legit 'look its working' without any voice overs, then someone laughed his ass of in the comments and they quickly took it down.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #687 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:12 pm »
Also the bit about it being simulated is obviously added in later, the sound is completely different.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #688 on: October 18, 2013, 04:30:35 am »
I've been following this company for a while. I was really looking forward to the release of their product, but I'm also starting to have doubts per the reasons given by other posters. I have a bad feeling that this may all be just an elaborate scam, but I hope I'm wrong!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:00:36 am by ixfd64 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #689 on: October 18, 2013, 04:38:17 am »
I have a bad feeling that this may all be just an elaborate scam, but I hope I'm wrong!

At the very least they are just (obviously) completely clueless at design and manufacture.
But either way the result is the same for the backers, it's almost certainly never going to happen.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #690 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:46 am »
I've been following this company for a while. I was really looking forward to the release of their product, but I'm also starting to have doubts per the reasons given by other posters. I have a bad feeling that this may all be just an elaborate scam, but I hope I'm wrong!

With due respect to you, how can you just be "starting" to have doubts? 

They are months behind.

The have shown nothing.

They do not address comments and haven't for months.

They do not even bother showing any progress anymore.  Just useless text, delivered late and far beyond their committed dates for updating their backers.

I'm amazed anyone is still on board with this project.  Curious what makes you feel it has any credibility or had any for the past few months?
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #691 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:21 am »
Curious what makes you feel it has any credibility or had any for the past few months?

When people have invested money (or time, ideas...) in something they tend to rationalise away the signs of failure (there is a name for this effect, but I just can't think of it, sort of a confirmation bias), to cling onto the hope that they have not lost their money/been taken for a ride.

It can take quite a lot to get some people to realise that a project has gone bad.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #692 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:14 am »
When people have invested money (or time, ideas...) in something they tend to rationalise away the signs of failure (there is a name for this effect, but I just can't think of it, sort of a confirmation bias), to cling onto the hope that they have not lost their money/been taken for a ride.

It can take quite a lot to get some people to realise that a project has gone bad.
Cognitive dissonance.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #693 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:12 am »
With due respect to you, how can you just be "starting" to have doubts? 

Some backers were starting to have doubts back in March, a couple of weeks before the campaign even finished, hence this thread being started.
So it's been 7 months of doubt upon doubt.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #694 on: October 18, 2013, 03:29:12 pm »

Cognitive dissonance.

more specifically choice supportive bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization
btw this is the main reason for fanboism.

Edit: Good conman will not only convince you that it was excellent investment, they will double down using escalation of commitment. For example "we ran out of money, but we are 95% of the way, we will deliver if you could only invest additional $XX". Whats additional XX when you already spend 3x XX, right?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:34:41 pm by Rasz »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #695 on: October 19, 2013, 07:29:32 am »
Edit: Good conman will not only convince you that it was excellent investment, they will double down using escalation of commitment. For example "we ran out of money, but we are 95% of the way, we will deliver if you could only invest additional $XX". Whats additional XX when you already spend 3x XX, right?

That's how the Nigerian scams work. Contrary to popular belief they don't "clean out" your bank account, they go to extraordinary lengths to convince you that you are only "one step" away from getting a vast amount of money. So you keep piling in the money because you are so committed and they make a very convincing story each time they ask for more money for just this last time  ::)
A classic "confidence trick", hence the saying "con", "con job" etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_trick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:31:28 am by EEVblog »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #696 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:07 am »

That's how the Nigerian scams work. Contrary to popular belief they don't "clean out" your bank account, they go to extraordinary lengths to convince you that you are only "one step" away from getting a vast amount of money. So you keep piling in the money because you are so committed and they make a very convincing story each time they ask for more money for just this last time  ::)

It's a particularly cruel and horrible crime since it can be devastating not only for the victims, who are often elderly and confused, but also for their families.

My uncle was sucked in by these vultures, and the more his friends and family tried to stop him the more convinced he became that it was them who were conspiring to prevent him from getting his rightful rewards. Having alienated him from his family, they sold his details to other scumbags who drained the rest of his life savings.

Offline MFX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #697 on: October 19, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »

It's a particularly cruel and horrible crime since it can be devastating not only for the victims, who are often elderly and confused, but also for their families.

My uncle was sucked in by these vultures, and the more his friends and family tried to stop him the more convinced he became that it was them who were conspiring to prevent him from getting his rightful rewards. Having alienated him from his family, they sold his details to other scumbags who drained the rest of his life savings.

Hangings too good for that sort of scumbag yet these sort's of crimes are somehow seen as far less serious (when it comes to sentencing etc.) than murder or armed robbery yet I think it's easily in the same league. There's a group round my way at the moment targeting the elderly for bank card fraud the Police are onto it and issuing warnings, it's the specific "targeting the elderly" thing that makes me sick.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #698 on: October 19, 2013, 05:56:17 pm »
Hangings too good for that sort of scumbag yet these sort's of crimes are somehow seen as far less serious (when it comes to sentencing etc.) than murder or armed robbery yet I think it's easily in the same league.
Are you a Daily Mail subscriber?

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #699 on: October 19, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »
Hangings too good for that sort of scumbag yet these sort's of crimes are somehow seen as far less serious (when it comes to sentencing etc.) than murder or armed robbery yet I think it's easily in the same league.
Are you a Daily Mail subscriber?

Perhaps if a vulnerable member of your family had been reduced to penury and paranoid distrust of the people who loved him you might be less sympathetic?

Everyone is revolted when thugs beat up and steal from elderly people directly, but somehow when they steal their entire livelihood and destroy their lives through psychological manipulation, the crime is seen as excusable.

I have no desire to see the return of the death penalty in Britain, but I would agree that the punishment for 'white collar' crimes such as fraud and deception should reflect the harm done to the victims rather more than it does at present.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf