Author Topic: Why do people assume if youre a girl that you don't understand electronics?  (Read 26227 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Or 'daring' to pay for a meal out, (how I was brought up!), on a first date, 'without' knowing
what 'she' earns, if anything.  To ME... these are (were!) signs of being a 'Gentleman'.....
Yeah times are changing , next time ask if she minds that you pay, it is an open question and offer and if she does not like it you accept it and have a great conversationpiece  :)
I remember the time in college when I asked Allie Moore out on a date. I offered to pay but she declined and insisted on paying "fair share", but I suspect that's because she knows she eats a lot and feels bad when others pay for it. That was a day after I fixed her PC so she knows that I can do a lot of good stuff for her.
Some women/(girls) I've spoken to in latter years have constantly said the likes of....
"Oh no, I can't let 'them' buy me a drink, because then I "owe" (sigh) them!!"
These 'women/girls' need to STOP dumbing themselves down & get back on their deserved Pedestals !!!!
There are a lot of bad man out there, if you read about how loverboys are operating you see why some women don't want anything from a man. The bad apples ruin it for the good guys but I think it mostly depends on the woman. And a lot of woman at least here in the Netherlands don't want to be put on a pedestal they want to be on equal height in an equal relationship where both work and both do part of the household and the kids etc. etc.
I remember Micah Elizabeth Scott telling about the time she was married (or just in a relationship?) and how she didn't like it, then she became single and said she intends to stay that way. It might be because she's afraid of getting into another bad relationship, or maybe just to stop random guys asking to marry her?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Every person is unique and likes something different.
My neighbour has three daughters, two were the Disney princess type the other Peter Pann   ;)
Perhaps that is what makes this world so beautifull there is no default answer.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, schmitt trigger

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
My office workers are my dogs and they agree with everything I say as long as I provide butt scratches. ;D
What, no snacks?   :o ;D

Seriously though, I definitely get where you and others are coming from in the being respectful but honest over political correctness, performing gentlemanly acts, and the like. It really would be hard if I were just starting my adult life as well.

But at this point in life, I'm old enough I don't let it bother me. They can take their indignation and stuff it somewhere very uncomfortable. >:D

Of course there are snacks, just not regularly, though the full figured Doberman mix would disagree with that philosophy. :popcorn:  I don't worry about it either.  As long as my head and heart are in agreement, I know I am doing the best that I can do, for everyone else; lead, follow or get out of the way.  I have no issues about telling you where to stuff it and it sounds so much better with my Jersey accent.  :-DD

I am also one of those who opens the car door for my wife.  I walk on the outside when we walk down the street and not only do I open doors for her, I hold them open for everyone-no discrimination there.  Sometimes I even get a thank you!!!  I am just an old school fool and proud of it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
Sorry, I wrote a book again.

Complex PTSD and CFS have me disabled so I don't have much income to acquire more with. I'm in my second transition that I started a little over 4 years ago. After being attacked on the street and hospitalized back in '85, I was forced into conversion therapy against my will. The ECT that was done to me badly damaged my memories and skills.
I think I can relate, suffering from repeated burnout and clinical depression: basically I tried to work myself to death before age 30, without seeking help or opening up to anyone.  What is left, is a burned out husk of a man.  I've considered ECT, but I do not believe I could survive if I lost my problem-solving abilities. Fortunately, SSRI medication keeps me functional without any side effects. (I suspect I have an actual serotonin deficiency, as aside from headaches, none of the medication I've tried has caused me any side effects; most of them were, or became, simply ineffective.  I've yet to find a neurologist interested enough to investigate.)  For the last ten years, I've been slowly rebuilding myself, starting from very basic social skills (although I must admit, they were quite wonky from the get go: vanalytical, not at all emotive or introspective).
If at all possible stay away from ECT. At the levels needed to reset the brain for temporary relief from severe depression, it will destroy brain cells. That is why it is considered a treatment of absolute last resort after all else has been tried.

There has been some work done on veterans who have unresponsive depression. They medicated them with the active thyroid hormone T3, and it helped them. They started out with 20mcg T3 in a timed release form, and titrated up until the symptoms went away. I think the study was done by a VA hospital in Virginia or North Carolina. It is published in full online.

Note, cholesterol is one of the chemicals needed in the chain of reactions that create serotonin and dopamine. Drugs that lower cholesterol can cause depression. The best way to decrease cholesterol is to increase your thyroid T3 levels, and avoid stress that causes T4 to be converted into reverse T3 which blocks and deactivates the receptors T3 binds to and activates. Sadly few doctors know this, and for many if it isn't in their standard care manual, it doesn't exist.

@Nominal Animal I too kept myself overly busy all the time when young, or with my mind thoroughly numbed by heroin. That was so I didn't think about how miserable going to school was or how bad my life was. In school I never learned anything because I'd learned it all long before. I was reading magazines like National Geographic by the time I entered first grade. So in class I was usually sitting there bored and worrying about what the bullies were going to do to me next. I tried my best to distract myself by thinking about projects I was working on after school, or reading books in classes where the teachers let me. I never could figure out why I was there, unless it was to have the bullies beat me into a man. Didn't work, it just shattered my mind. I learned to disassociate away the school day. By the time I was in 4th grade, I couldn't tell you what happened at school after I got off the bus. Looking back I also see the first signs of Complex PTSD before I left third grade. I can't tell you how much before that it was, because I don't know how old I was when the memory happened. I just know the playground was the one at the 1-3 grade school.

The oddest thing about the topic at hand to me, is that it seems that very few people seem to realize that the problems stem from individuals being treated as members of some (arbitrary and incorrect) group, and not as individuals.  Yet, the "fix", according to the vocal activists, is to create more groups, enforcing differentiation by custom or by law (like in Canada, with the new personal pronouns), rather than treat everyone as an individual!  :-//
It isn't to make more groups. Transgenders have been stereotyped into a group and not seen as individuals for ages. The goal is to change the perception of transgenders to one that is accurate. Ie, we are all individuals. When I was growing up transgenders were nearly universally seen as as being insane or inherently evil persons. A minister in the community I lived in from first grade through freshman in HS labeled me a devils child and witch. He told his parishioners to not let their children play with me because I was evil and would corrupt them. Yet Alistair Cooke, of BBC's "Letter from America" fame, who had many actual interactions with me, described me as the most intelligent, well behaved, and delightful child he had ever met. The preacher was making assumptions based only on reports of me being a feminine boy while Alistair Cooke was basing his opinion on how I really behaved. Lynn Conway is brilliant and was very well liked by her IBM colleagues and managers whom she worked with, yet the CEO decreed she must be fired based on baseless prejudices he had about transgenders being crazy. We want the right to be treated fairly based on who we are as individuals, and not be stereotyped and discriminated against based on erroneous prejudices.

The new personal pronouns are because not everybody is masculine or feminine and can relate to the standard binary gender pronouns. There are many persons who are non gendered, that is they didn't get either masculine or feminine instincts, and many persons with more even mixes of both masculine and feminine instincts, that is they are somewhere between the normal masculine and normal feminine ranges. The normal masculine and normal feminine ranges are just that ranges. Some in them are highly masculine or highly feminine, and others are only weakly masculine or weakly feminine. Most people are somewhere in between highly and weakly, and even have some traits from the opposite gender to which they normally ascribe.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
We want the right to be treated fairly based on who we are as individuals, and not be stereotyped and discriminated against based on erroneous prejudices.

The new personal pronouns are because not everybody is masculine or feminine and can relate to the standard binary gender pronouns. There are many persons who are non gendered, that is they didn't get either masculine or feminine instincts, and many persons with more even mixes of both masculine and feminine instincts, that is they are somewhere between the normal masculine and normal feminine ranges. The normal masculine and normal feminine ranges are just that ranges. Some in them are highly masculine or highly feminine, and others are only weakly masculine or weakly feminine. Most people are somewhere in between highly and weakly, and even have some traits from the opposite gender to which they normally ascribe.
You can't have it two ways. There are two genders a non-gender just does not exist, so one of my friends who was male till end of his twenties turned into a woman all the way, not only hormones but went to Thailand and did everything. He now has a female name changed his passport and lives as a woman. Even the pitch of his voice is higher. She is happy, not stereo typed.
The issues that I see is when groups act out trying to force their point of view on society. We are in general a very homo friendly country but I really don't understand why there should be something like a Gay parade where people dress up like it is carnaval and act out with only one purpose to provoke and shock. I don't get that. There is not something like a hetero parade where hetero people dress up like they belong in a p-movie and act out to shock everyone?

So it is easy choose your gender that suits you the best, switch every other day/week if you like but act accordingly and no-one will stereo-type you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:05:26 am by Kjelt »

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
It isn't to make more groups.
I disagree.   Yes, most of those people definitely claim to be individualists, but it seems to be on the surface only: they still define concepts based on group identity, and base their interactions with those outside their social group on group-based prejudices and assumptions, and rarely actually behave as individualists would.

To me, the obvious solution would be to normalize the use of the genderless pronouns (like "they"), because that does not convey any kind of information on the gender of the person referred to. Inventing new pronouns simply creates new gender groups, and does not affect the underlying problem -- using pronouns to assign group identity -- at all.  In other words, remove gender from the list of things that are considered "obviously public information" about a person, and make it a private/personal detail.  So that it would not be strange to refer to people who consider themselves completely male or female with genderless pronouns too. Or if you happen to have a coworker whose gender is not immediately obvious, it would be considered something they wish to keep private, something like ones marital status, or living arrangements. Not necessarily anything "out of the ordinary" or "non-binary" or whatever, just private.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
You can't have it two ways. There are two genders a non-gender just does not exist, so one of my friends who was male till end of his twenties turned into a woman all the way, not only hormones but went to Thailand and did everything. He now has a female name changed his passport and lives as a woman. Even the pitch of his voice is higher. She is happy, not stereo typed.
I honestly can’t say that I understand being agender, since I’ve always been totally comfortable with being a male (i.e. I am a cisgender male). (I can only imagine what it must be like to be transgender, being trapped in the wrong body. But with agender, I really can’t even imagine it.) But — and it’s a huge “but” — who cares? Who am I to say they’re wrong? How would I know, since I’m happily cis? And what difference does it make? It takes essentially zero effort on my part to respect someone else’s wish. At most, I might have to ask how they prefer to be addressed. I don’t see how my life is negatively impacted by showing them respect, and on the other hand, that respect might make a difference to someone struggling to come to terms with their gender identity.

The issues that I see is when groups act out trying to force their point of view on society. We are in general a very homo friendly country but I really don't understand why there should be something like a Gay parade where people dress up like it is carnaval and act out with only one purpose to provoke and shock. I don't get that.
Yes, gay pride parades can get crazy. But that’s OK. I know lots of people who take their kids to pride simply to expose them to differentness, so their kids grow up tolerant and accepting.

Anyway, as to your real question, which is the purpose of gay pride events. According to your profile, you’re in the Netherlands, which is arguably the most LGBT-friendly country on the planet, and has been for a long time. So the original purpose of pride parades — demonstrations for equal rights — may be somewhat obsolete there. But in many countries, that purpose is still very much at the core of the parades. (One thing a lot of people don’t realize is that even in places with robust LGBT communities, like USA, there is still rampant discrimination, differences in law, and violence against us. For example, gay marriage is now federal law in USA — but in most states, you can still be fired from your job the next day for doing so. Or evicted from your apartment. Here in Switzerland, same-sex couples can get registered partnerships, but not marriage, and this comes with a handful of major limitations, including financial downsides and the express prohibition of adoption. So when you see a gay pride parade, remember that we are also there to fight, or at least raise awareness, for our rights.)

And in countries where we’ve mostly managed to achieve equality, we still hold the parades in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in countries where they remain oppressed to some degree or another* — and to celebrate and mourn those who fought and died to get us those rights. So think of the parades as the more political dimension of pride festivities.

Another reason is to mourn and celebrate our brothers lost to AIDS in the 80s and 90s before HIV could be treated. (And to raise awareness of the importance of protection today!)

Finally, one HUGE reason for holding pride events is to foster community. This is especially important for young LGBT people, who may be struggling to find themselves. It can be incredibly helpful to be able to go to a pride event and a) see that there are thousands of people just like you [iin your area alone[/i], and b) be able to let your guard down. For many LGBT youth, a pride event is the first exposure they have to other LGBT people, especially if they’re from a small town, for example. And often, the first time to let their guard down and be themselves. (Or even just go and take it in before coming out themselves.) You’ll just have to take our word for it that even in the absolutely most accepting environments, coming out is usually a really, really difficult, confusing, scary time. In a less accepting environment, it can be terrifying, oppressive, and hugely damaging. Imagine being a kid questioning their sexuality or gender identity in an environment where you’re reminded constantly that it’s a sin, that you’re “wrong”. Being able to connect with other people like you can literally be a life saver.

As for the outrageousness and festivals and parties that go along with the parades: why not? You don’t have to have an excuse to party, but if you do...

*One stereotype of gay men is that we’re pansies. But man... wanna see men with balls of fucking steel titanium? Look at the men who march in the gay pride parades in Uganda and other African and Middle Eastern nations where (male) homosexuality is punishable by death both in law and in practice. And yet they march!!! :O

There is not something like a hetero parade where hetero people dress up like they belong in a p-movie and act out to shock everyone?
You don’t need a straight pride parade because you already have full rights everywhere.

As for non-gay non-pride parades where people dress to shock... ummm... I suggest you avoid the Street Parade in Zurich, then! :D

So it is easy choose your gender that suits you the best, switch every other day/week if you like but act accordingly and no-one will stereo-type you.
That’s called “blaming the victim”.

Instead of worrying about how others behave, how about reflecting on why others’ behavior is so important to you. Because that says more about you than it does about them.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Excuse my limited reply i am in a foreign country with an ipad and limited intenet connectivity
Who am I to say they’re wrong
I am not saying their wrong.

If the gay pride parades where about normal dressed people acting normal I believe they would inspire and relate more to those who still want to come out of the closet than dressed as brazilian carnaval bimbos or like the YMCA leather look. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:15:12 pm by Kjelt »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Excuse my limited reply i am in a foreign country with an ipad and limited intenet connectivity
Who am I to say they’re wrong
I am not saying their wrong.

If the gay pride parades where about normal dressed people acting normal I believe they would inspire and relate more to those who still want to come out of the closet than dressed as brazilian carnaval bimbos or like the YMCA leather look. Just my opinion.
Let me give you a hint: they’re not doing that for you.

And don’t forget the confirmation bias that you’re applying: you remember the leather daddies and flamboyant drag queens. But were they anything close to the majority of people there? Nope.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:33:34 pm by tooki »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
And don’t forget the confirmation bias that you’re applying: you remember the leather daddies and flamboyant drag queens. But were they anything close to the majority of people there? Nope.

Hehehe, I spotted that too.

Pride covers the whole gamut from one extreme to another but the one thing that's common across all the ones I've been to is that it's  damn good weekend with a great atmosphere while still making a very necessary point.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
Why should I have to acknowledge other peoples' genders at all?

Wouldn't it be at least as acceptable to just consider gender a personal, private detail, and treat everyone initially the same?

I mean, gender simply isn't a factor in most interactions I have. Other than the cases where I am attracted to someone, I don't see the need or practicality in acknowledging their gender (via, say, customized personal pronouns, or otherwise). It's not like we have separate pronouns for different personality types either.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
True.
If this is the case with me it probably is with more people, iam not saying most people  ;)
Which is sad since it probably is not helping the gay integration in society at all but makes it worse IMO.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Why should I have to acknowledge other peoples' genders at all?

Wouldn't it be at least as acceptable to just consider gender a personal, private detail, and treat everyone initially the same?

I mean, gender simply isn't a factor in most interactions I have. Other than the cases where I am attracted to someone, I don't see the need or practicality in acknowledging their gender (via, say, customized personal pronouns, or otherwise). It's not like we have separate pronouns for different personality types either.
I’m not aware of any human language which doesn’t use gender in pronouns. Many use it in other ways too, with some going as far as having different grammar depending on the gender of the speaker and recipient (among other things).

As for why you acknowledge someone’s gender: basic respect for their person.

Assuming you’re male: would you like it if people called you “miss” and “she”? Probably not. Just as it’s rude to not acknowledge someone’s correct name (e.g. if someone says they’re Thomas, and not Tom, then you call them Thomas), it’s rude to not acknowledge someone’s gender.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
True.
If this is the case with me it probably is with more people, iam not saying most people  ;)
Which is sad since it probably is not helping the gay integration in society at all but makes it worse IMO.
Again, it’s not for you. Stop thinking that it’s all about serving you, it’s not!

Ultimately, pride (event) is about promoting tolerance and diversity. You don’t accomplish that by falling back, by complying with restrictions imposed by others.

Again, look inwards and ask yourself why those things bother you. (And why your arguments keep coming back to you being upset that we do not adhere to the rules you wish to impose. Why is compliance so important to you?)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Coming from a very festive country (Brazil), I don't mind the pride parade at all. If anything, let them have the fun and acknowledgment by society.

I would also respect if someone asks me politely to refer using a he or she pronoun. However, I personally disagree with the 24-bit gradation of genders that only serve the purpose to address an obvious and fundamental feature of mankind: every individual is different. Also, I am with Jordan Peterson: just don't create a law that forces me to acknowledge that.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Stop thinking that it’s all about serving you, it’s not!
I know that , that is why I do not attend such events  ;)
I stop now since you don't get my point.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
I’m not aware of any human language which doesn’t use gender in pronouns.
Finnish does not have gendered pronouns.  Furthermore, in everyday speech, it is quite normal to use "it" to refer to humans, animals, and objects. (There are separate pronouns for humans and non-humans, but in everyday speech, the non-human pronouns (singular tämä/tuo/se, plural nämä/nuo/ne) are most common for everything.)

Assuming you’re male: would you like it if people called you “miss” and “she”?
Whenever people refer to me in Finnish, they use a genderless pronoun.  Works fine for me.

it’s rude to not acknowledge someone’s gender.
That is the exact part I don't understand.  Why is it rude?  (It isn't in Finnish, because we do not usually acknowledge anyones gender.)  What is the purpose of acknowledging someones gender?

That was my whole point, you see.  I am very willing to treat every single person I meet as an individual with their own particular characteristics, but I am not willing to learn the definitions of dozens of new genders, simply because I do not think that acknowledging someones gender has any positive purpose or effect.  Why would gender be more important than say, personality type?

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba

Wow there is another transgirl here? Just one question if you pass as a female why would you wear guys clothes? That would make me really uncomfortable in public especially if I had to use the bathroom. Boobs and the mens room are a bad idea. The last time I walked into a mens room because three womens bathrooms were full all the people stared at me when I walked in and a guy yelled out "This is the mens room! ladies room is down that way. Let me show you."
I have a lot of mens clothing from the zombie years when I didn't remember my past and suppressed all emotions. My women's clothing wardrobe isn't that well filled out yet. Complex PTSD and CFS have me disabled so I don't have much income to acquire more with. I'm in my second transition that I started a little over 4 years ago. After being attacked on the street and hospitalized back in '85, I was forced into conversion therapy against my will. The ECT that was done to me badly damaged my memories and skills. I couldn't even recognize my parents and had no memories of who I was before. If I hadn't started out with an off the scale IQ, I'd likely have been reduced to being an idiot. There are large are on each side of my cerebral cortex where they placed the ECT probes that delivered the shocks that remains dark and never shows any brain activity. Thankfully I'm still able to self teach on tough subjects, and have been relearning stuff I knew before. That is when my mind lets me. Some subjects or sub areas of subjects it seams I have some sort of block on relearning  The transfer from short term memory to long term memory fails, or where it gets stored isn't able to be retrieved from. My body was also wrecked by the testosterone and HGH I was pumped full of.

Wow there is another transgirl here?

IIRC there are many, like a half dozen or so.
I'd suspect many many more haven't spoken up about it.

That is absolutely terrible. Where/how did they do this to you? This was in America? To me taking testosterone was terrible as I started taking it because my body never naturally made much test. This made the GID so much worse rather then making it go away. I feel like I can look in the mirror now and love who I see.

I have had seizures that messed my memory up too. ECT in the wrong hands is just a severe torture. I find all of my brain power is still there I just need to access it differently now and relearn a few things. Like watching a movie and as you get into it your remember it.

What country do you speak of? Sounds like an amazing life. People only transition an odd number of times; once or three times. Two is very rare. Luckily people now a days can treat their children if they are trans and as it becomes more main stream many will be spared the suffering. We are just a few years before gay people. Didn't rattan "punish" people for homosexuality up until the 70's? Was that where it happened?   
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Wow, this has got a bit 'off topic'  :)
Can't we all just agree that there are a LOT of technically smart women/girls out there,
that can actually put a lot of us to shame, and deserve lots of credit !!!   :)

Do you realize that when 'Typewriters' were 1st invented, it was purely a MALE 'role'
to use them !! (being mechanical & all). Later, it was assumed only a woman could be
given the 'role', while 'filing' paperwork & taking phone-calls. (And dressing 'pretty').

These days, 'Women' are a major part of every scientific, biological etc etc company
that exists today. their 'limits' are not technical, by any means...
However... the ONLY thing I do not believe in, is Women in Front-Line warfare....
I'm not being 'sexist' by saying that MOST women do not have the same physical strength
as MOST men, and should not be relied upon to carry say a 100-kg wounded soldier some
1 to 5 kms to safety.  It is purely a matter of realism, as well as respect...
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
Finnish does not have gendered pronouns.  Furthermore, in everyday speech, it is quite normal to use "it" to refer to humans, animals, and objects. (There are separate pronouns for humans and non-humans, but in everyday speech, the non-human pronouns (singular tämä/tuo/se, plural nämä/nuo/ne) are most common for everything.)

In Iceland, surnames are your father's or mother's name with 'son' or 'daughter' (dottir) added. That eliminates the stigma of women having to surrender their name at marriage.

As for why women tend not to take college science courses, I think it has a lot to do with the course material being too abstract, especially it that they contain far to much pure maths, most of which is not even remotely relevant to the main subject. Women, in my experience anyway, like to see that there is some kind of identifiable benefit or outcome arising from an activity. This situation puts men off too, but maybe not quite to the same extent.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
These days, 'Women' are a major part of every scientific, biological etc etc company
However... the ONLY thing I do not believe in, is Women in Front-Line warfare....
I'm not being 'sexist' by saying that MOST women do not have the same physical strength
as MOST men, and should not be relied upon to carry say a 100-kg wounded soldier some
Nonsense in the US marines there are plenty of women soldiers that will whoop your ass  :-DD
Respect is given anyone a chance and open mind to do and become what they want.
I like feminism and am waiting till we see female garbage collectors and other tough jobs.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
That's why I said 'MOST' men, and 'MOST' women....
Granted. There are always exceptions, that are not the 'norm'....
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

• Super Contributor
Nonsense in the US marines there are plenty of women soldiers that will whoop your ass  :-DD
I like feminism and am waiting till we see female garbage collectors and other tough jobs.

• Super Contributor

I totally thought women should fight on the front line until I started taking estrogen. Physically I'm not strong at all, I was really fit but my chest went from barely a 38A bra (38 is circumference around back and includes lats and other muscles) to a loose 36b/c. I can't even lift most heavy things. Without test you just don't have the strength.

The second is mental. This feeling is almost unexplainable but I'll try: Your mind stops the aggression/arguing and is replaced by empathy and sympathy. I went from watching shoot'em ups to watching more cerebral emotional movies that some times even make my cry. I never cried for anything before. If you need your troops to shoot no matter what women are going to struggle especially if ordered to kill women and children like in Iraq. Since they are more emotionally involved they are more likely to get PTSD and act as humanitarians then soldiers. Some may argue that this is exactly what the army needs but it doesn't help you steal oil. Science and math by their nature are emotionless. This isn't going to appeal to the estrogen filled brain.

Sure there are tomboy types but they typically have more testosterone then normal women closer to men. Both men and women need testosterone but only women have estrogen.

I'm still interested in building electronics and other things but I find that time is divided with things like putting on make up for 30+ minutes a day. I never liked make up before and thought it was a necessary chore. Or clothes shopping etc. I now understand why you could buy something with no intrinsic value just because "it was cute". If you really want to figure women out take estrogen for a week. When I first took it I thought: "This is amazing! Everyone should feel like this!" It was almost like being on drugs. But my brain is probably wired for it.

The following users thanked this post: Psi, tooki

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Wow there is another transgirl here? Just one question if you pass as a female why would you wear guys clothes?

Apropos of this discussion, one of the Kicad developers recently came out to the listserv. Mostly it was a re-introduction, as her name changed. (She also has posted in this forum.) The response was generally, "good on ya!" and then it was back to fixing bugs for the upcoming RC.

The community is very accepting, I think, as it should be.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf