Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.  (Read 144740 times)

Purvirs and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.
« Reply #950 on: April 09, 2024, 04:03:26 pm »
Hello,

the RTB2000 from R&S is particularly striking. It has 20 MSa per ADC, but you can have 16 segments with 20 MSa in segmented mode.

"
record length: 20 Msample
segments (up to): 16
total memory (per channel): 320 Msample
"

I have not found any information on the size of the segmented memory in the Rigol and Micsig data sheets. I can only provide the data from my devices.

Best regards
egonotto

I think somebody that knows for certain should hopefully chime in. You're multiplying total memory depth x segments. But I think segments are divisions (not multiplications), and the total memory doesn't get larger.  I tested it out on my SDS2504XP and it appears that Memory Length x Segments ≤ Total memory available for that function/situation.

I've never used Segmented memory before this, but in each test, whatever I had memory depth set to, the maximum number of sequences allowed kept the Memory Length x Segments under 100Mpts.

Thanks,
Josh
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: April 09, 2024, 04:56:03 pm »
There is no general rule for the size of Segmented Memory, other than it will be at least the memory size during normal use.

There are Siglent DSOs that have more segmented memory, e.g. the SDS1004X-E, which has 2 x 14 Mpts in normal acquisition mode but can store up to 2 x 54 Mpts in segments.

Likewise, the SDS5000X, which has normally 2 x 250 Mpts and can store up to 2 x 433.5 Mpts in segments.

The SDS6000 has 1 x 500 Mpts during normal use, but can have up to 1762 Mpts in segments.

The SDS2000X plus/HD series is limited to 2 x 200 Mpts in any case.

Of course everyone wants as much segmented memory as one can get, yet it’s also nice to have long record lengths when needed.

EDIT: Ah, and don't forget: for the SDS2000X plus/HD, segmented capture mode and any additional storage are standard, whereas with some other manufacturers they are expensive options.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 05:04:32 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #952 on: April 09, 2024, 05:57:45 pm »
Hello,

thanks Performa01, with my SDS2104X HD I don't even quite reach the 2 * 200 Mpts.
With four channels and a segment size of 1 Mpts, I only get 97 segments.

When I entered the 8 licenses via USB stick, I also did not get a prompt to restart.

Does the SDS2104X HD use double buffers in run mode?

Best regards
egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #953 on: April 09, 2024, 06:37:55 pm »
When I entered the 8 licenses via USB stick, I also did not get a prompt to restart.
I´ve entered the keys "manually" with the keypad, after every (confirmed)entry the prompt for restart appears.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #954 on: April 09, 2024, 08:11:49 pm »
Hello,

thanks Performa01, with my SDS2104X HD I don't even quite reach the 2 * 200 Mpts.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but even with only 1 channel active, I couldn't get it above 100Mpts. Granted, it was my first attempt to ever use sequence mode. 🤷

However, if you have 4 channels active, I would assume 100Mpts to be the maximum. 200Mpts x 2 = 200 per ADC, and each ADC has 2 channels. You clearly have more experience with this than I do, so I suggest trying only channels 1 and 3, and deactivate channels 2 and 4 and see if you get more memory available that way.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #955 on: April 09, 2024, 11:50:24 pm »

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but even with only 1 channel active, I couldn't get it above 100Mpts. Granted, it was my first attempt to ever use sequence mode. 🤷

Hello,

with one channel and 2 Mpts segment size I get 97 segments. That is 194 Mpts. You probably can't get more than 200 Mpts with just one channel.

Best regards
egonotto
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:55:08 pm by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #956 on: April 10, 2024, 12:05:10 am »
Hello,

with one channel and 2 Mpts segment size I get 97 segments. That is 194 Mpts. You probably can't get more than 200 Mpts with just one channel.

Best regards
egonotto

That's as expected. I must have been doing something wrong, or not awake yet to not get closer to the 200Mpts. I'm going to goof around with it more later. It says up to 90,000 segments on the 2k+, I'd like to see how that happens. Maybe it means all 4 channels or something. 🤷

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #957 on: April 10, 2024, 12:22:49 am »
Hello,

an example with 80000 segments. According to the data sheet, the SDS2104X HD cannot do more.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #958 on: April 10, 2024, 01:30:17 am »
Thank you, you examples helped me figure it out.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #959 on: April 10, 2024, 08:08:38 am »
Does the SDS2104X HD use double buffers in run mode?
There are not any signs for that, so I’d just say “no”. It wouldn’t make much sense either.

Double buffering makes sense on a Keysight, where almost all signal processing is done in hardware, which is fast (but unflexible) and can be completed on one buffer while the other one is filled.

By contrast, the SDS2000X HD signal processing is done in software, which allows it to have more flexibility and features, but is way slower, even though many functions are “hardware-accelerated”, which means that the software utilizes a number of application-specific co-processors. In any case, processing takes way longer than the signal acquisition (just look at the difference in waveform update rate between normal acquisition and Sequence mode), hence double-buffering wouldn’t be an option.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: April 10, 2024, 03:13:14 pm »
Setting aside specs, but focusing on functionality and ease of use, does anyone have any thoughts on how this R&S scope approach to using segmented memory and related features (such as “ultra” or “fast” segmented mode) compares to the UI on the SDS2000X HD? Lots of similarities? Notable differences? Advantages/disadvantages? Other observations, thoughts?
Thanks

https://youtu.be/7KoMjKwI6qw

“History and Segmented Memory Mode
The RTB-K15 history function option increases the memory from 10 Msample to 160 Msample, allowing scrolling through past acquisitions and analyze the data using all of the oscilloscope tools, e.g. protocol decode and logic channels. In ultra-segmented mode, waveforms are seamlessly captured before visualization. Serial protocol and pulse sequences are recorded practically without interruptions.”
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:50:05 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #961 on: April 10, 2024, 05:37:06 pm »
Hello,

unfortunately, the trial licenses for ARINC are reduced if you use the free SPI. Presumably this also happens if you use a different decoder. That is a pity.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: TopQuark, Grandchuck

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #962 on: April 10, 2024, 05:49:15 pm »
Yes, was disappointed by this.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #963 on: April 10, 2024, 08:56:44 pm »
That can't be right, in my opinion it's a bug.
I would report it to siglent, because it doesn't take long and you can't even try out the trials, which is the point of trials.
Maybe they will give you the keys as "compensation". 8)
Welectron is still the only store that has the 2104X HD in stock.
But still at the old price... :horse:

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #964 on: April 10, 2024, 11:42:04 pm »
Hello,

when I didn't have SDS2XHD-BND, the trial counters of all decoding options were decreased by one when I used SPI.

I have now contacted Siglent.
Although I will probably never need ARINC (I can no longer fly from a school :)).

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #965 on: April 11, 2024, 01:12:27 pm »
Hello,

However, if you have 4 channels active, I would assume 100Mpts to be the maximum. 200Mpts x 2 = 200 per ADC, and each ADC has 2 channels. You clearly have more experience with this than I do, so I suggest trying only channels 1 and 3, and deactivate channels 2 and 4 and see if you get more memory available that way.

No need to guess. (I have been very busy so I have not made this ready (this quaranteed maximum segments/s speed need much more work than max average (what is partially useless for sequence performance information, even if difference is not so big)
But here this part from "under work" table. (Note: it is also possible that this come partially obsolete with some future FW update - who knows.)

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Electro Fan, egonotto, KungFuJosh, Martin72, JimKnopf, matimati

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #966 on: April 12, 2024, 08:40:56 am »
Hello,

I have a question. In the context of the MHO3 update rate, I recorded a burst of trigger signals with the SDS2104X HD.

Such a burst occurs approximately every 28 ms. (Question1.png). Question2.png shows the start of a burst. Roughly speaking, a burst has about 1000 pulses.

Is there an easy way to determine the number of pulses in a burst?

Best regards
egonotto

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #967 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:46 am »
Hello,

I have a question. In the context of the MHO3 update rate, I recorded a burst of trigger signals with the SDS2104X HD.

Such a burst occurs approximately every 28 ms. (Question1.png). Question2.png shows the start of a burst. Roughly speaking, a burst has about 1000 pulses.

Best regards
egonotto

For a simple counting of the pulses from burst you can use Ppulses and gated measurement. But if the number of the pulses  became variable a different aproach can be neded (pulse or interval trigger) depending on the signal variation.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, KungFuJosh

Online fredo_

• Contributor
« Reply #968 on: April 12, 2024, 10:23:37 am »
Mine is on the way from Jeulin  8).
They said it should arrive within 2 weeks :popcorn:
Well it took a bit longer than expected (they said EU restocking was delayed due to troubles in the red sea  :scared:) but my SDS2104X HD finally arrived !  :-+
2115989-0
For those of you interested to get one in the EU, the Siglent sales rep at Jeulin said there might still be some stock they can get access to... : https://jeulin.com/jeulin_en/297376.html

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Online gburdzin

• Contributor
« Reply #969 on: April 12, 2024, 11:14:45 am »
Mine is on the way from Jeulin  8).
They said it should arrive within 2 weeks :popcorn:
Well it took a bit longer than expected (they said EU restocking was delayed due to troubles in the red sea  :scared:) but my SDS2104X HD finally arrived !  :-+
(Attachment Link)
For those of you interested to get one in the EU, the Siglent sales rep at Jeulin said there might still be some stock they can get access to... : https://jeulin.com/jeulin_en/297376.html

Congrats!  Did you get the LA bundle with it?

Online fredo_

• Contributor
« Reply #970 on: April 12, 2024, 11:24:37 am »
Congrats!
Thank you!
Did you get the LA bundle with it?
Nope, it was too much for my budget  :( Actually, the scope by itself was already too much for my budget !  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:37:34 pm by fredo_ »

Online gburdzin

• Contributor
« Reply #971 on: April 12, 2024, 11:41:58 am »
Congrats!
Thank you!
Did you get the LA bundle with it?
Nope, it was too much for my budget  :( Actually, the scope by itself was already to much for my budget !  :-DD

You have more incentive to hopefully "upgrade" it then  ;)

We have several new users of this scope, so maybe we can figure that out someday.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: April 12, 2024, 02:11:03 pm »
Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

Any chance zone trigger (either as is, or with a new feature enhancement from Siglent) might somehow enable the scope to yield stats such as a pulse count within the designated zone?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: April 12, 2024, 02:45:01 pm »
Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

Any chance zone trigger (either as is, or with a new feature enhancement from Siglent) might somehow enable the scope to yield stats such as a pulse count within the designated zone?

You have Mask Test function for exactly that.
Counting and half a dozen other things that can happen when it fails the mask.
But it won't count individual pulses "invading" into mask.

For that you have count function and gating.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:48:18 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #974 on: April 12, 2024, 02:52:24 pm »
Hello,

the answer of skander36 was exactly the solution to my question (Ppulses).
Thank you for that.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, skander36

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf