Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803883 times)

Offline john19

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2725 on: January 04, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »
PTGui don't accept grayscale 16 Bit Images (needs sRGB) and it's necessary to stretch the brightness with level operator for auto detect control points
Code: [Select]
$ convert _*.tif -resize 480x -sharpen 0x1 -level 9400,15500 -colorspace sRGB _a%03d.png

I did stretch the images, but I didn't do any explicit conversion to any rgb space, since convert seems to do that per default.

I assume that the "-colorspace" option only assigns a colorspace without changing the pixel values? The latter wouldn't be good, I think.
Edit: I mean: Changing the pixel values wouldn't be good, at least not if you want to open the stitched panorama in FLIR tools.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:10:44 pm by john19 »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2726 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:18 pm »
funny, if I use this line:
$ convert _*.tif -resize 480x -sharpen 0x1 -level 9400,15500 _c%03d.png

// check
$ identify _c000.png
_c000.png PNG 480x360 480x360+0+0 16-bit sRGB 267KB 0.000u 0:00.000
then PTGui shows only correct the left half of every image (see screenshot)
Please post your command line.

Which values do you set in the dialog mask?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2727 on: January 04, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
I would do same job pixel by pixel in php  :palm:
php loops are slow

there are also some nice scripts with imagemagick and gnu plot

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scripts/im_histogram
and
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scripts/im_graph

sample (search for im_histogram and im_graph on this site: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/color_mods )

I always use R + ggplot2 when I need production quality histograms. IM or gnuplot are fine when you want something quick & dirty, so it depends a bit on your requirements.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2728 on: January 04, 2014, 04:58:46 pm »
Ex with multiple spot measurements ?

I was just downloading a new STL for a Ex focus tool and noticed that an example image contained three measurement spots ! The data blocks on the image are also semi-transparent.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:188896/#files

I do not recall my upgraded E4 being capable of such. I just checked FLIR Tools and it has different spot markers so I don't think it is the product of FLIR Tools but I could well be wrong.

Anyone else have any ideas ? My PM695 has the multi spot measurement option and it can be useful.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2729 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

Anyone else have any ideas ? My PM695 has the multi spot measurement option and it can be useful.
I posted a few examples of precisely that eons ago. But no response so figured noone was interested in that.  :-// The ones I posted had 5 spot meters in it.

Offline john19

• Contributor
« Reply #2730 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »
funny, if I use this line:
$ convert _*.tif -resize 480x -sharpen 0x1 -level 9400,15500 _c%03d.png

// check
$ identify _c000.png
_c000.png PNG 480x360 480x360+0+0 16-bit sRGB 267KB 0.000u 0:00.000
then PTGui shows only correct the left half of every image (see screenshot)
Please post your command line.

Which values do you set in the dialog mask?

Hmm. This problem was actually not that easy to figure out. It seems that different versions of convert behave differently.

$ ./convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.7-6 Q16 x86 2013-11-07 http://www.imagemagick.org
$ ./convert FLIR0197.png -resize 480x -sharpen 0x1 oldversion.png
$ identify oldversion.png
oldversion.png PNG 480x360 480x360+0+0 16-bit sRGB 150KB 0.000u 0:00.000

$ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.8-1 Q16 x64 2013-12-25 http://www.imagemagick.org
$ convert FLIR0197.png -resize 480x -sharpen 0x1 newversion.png
$ identify newversion.png
newversion.png PNG 480x360 480x360+0+0 16-bit sRGB 177KB 0.000u 0:00.000

The "identify" command claims that newversion.png is 16 bit sRGB, but Photoshop says it's 16 bit gray.
oldversion.png is 16 bit RGB, but not sRGB, so identify is wrong again.

That explains why PTGui could open my png files but not yours, because I used an older version of Imagemagick. It doesn't explain why the RGB files are smaller than the gray files though...

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2731 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:53 pm »
I just checked FLIR Tools and it has different spot markers so I don't think it is the product of FLIR Tools but I could well be wrong.
That comes from Flir tools. You can do many markers in Flir tools and they look this way.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:18:51 pm by daves »
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2732 on: January 04, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »
I just got my E4 and wanted to post a quick hack on how I took the stress off of the USB cable. What do you think?

Also, is the serial number marked anywhere on the camera?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2733 on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »
@daves,

Many thanks, 'mystery' solved  :)

Thank you  :-+

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2734 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
@daves,

Many thanks, 'mystery' solved  :)

Thank you  :-+

You don't need Flir Tools for that. Mystery desolved. You can run those multiple spot measurements live on your E4. Mystery resolved. ;)

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2735 on: January 04, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »
@daves
your flir tools image looks like 2x zoom injection  :)

if you are interested in measuring temperature of a single pixel (i.e. center pixel) in your script see my post here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350250/#msg350250

better use an area (i.e. 4x4 Pixel)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:35:27 pm by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2736 on: January 04, 2014, 05:27:33 pm »
@mrflibble.

Many thanks .....care to refresh me on what is involved please as I am no coder, and wonder how involved such a feature would be to add to my E4. I must have missed your previous posting on this. (there was a lot of development work going on, so I likely missed it amongst all the other posts).

Cheers

Aurora
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:36:49 pm by Aurora »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2737 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:11 pm »
Many thanks .....care to refresh me on what is involved please as I am no coder, and wonder how involved such a feature would be to add to my E4. I must have missed your previous posting on this. (there was a lot of development work going on, so I likely missed it amongst all the other posts).
Basically it is a bunch of rset commands to setup the measurements. So either do that over telnet, or using a .fif with some prebaked commands. Or if someone has some time, make a menu for it. Or borrow menu items from the .rcc + xml files from a camera that does have this already.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2738 on: January 04, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »
@mrflibble,

Many thanks....that's getting a tad too advanced for my very limited software skillset  :-[

I foolishly hoped that this was like some of the other enhancements with the code just needing to be activated, as was the case with Zoom.

I can live without it as the PM695's offer me it if needed. Thank you for explaining this to me though  :-+
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:34:08 pm by Aurora »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2739 on: January 04, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »
Many thanks....that's getting a tad too advanced for my very limited software skillset  :-[

I foolishly hoped that this was like some of the other enhancements with the code just needing to be activated, as was the case with Zoom.
Mmmh, the mention of zoom gives me an idea. Does the zoom functionality just do zoom x2, x4, x8 on the CENTER, or can you also pan around using the cursor keys? If the former ==> meh. If the latter, then maybe that can be reused in some way.

Why? For setting up multiple spots you basically need 2 things: what type of measurement does a spot do, and where is it located. The main functionality I see missing from the menu functions I have seen so far is the ability to change the position of a measurement spot (using the cursor keys).

Barring that, what you could do for the occasion is for example make a .fif that sets up 4 quadrants to find the hottest spot in each. That has some uses, and is easy enough.

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2740 on: January 04, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »
Well there had to be someone who messed up this mod.... I have been enjoying the camera and today decided to go from beta 2 to 3 I do not how but it rendered a no start up on the e4, filezilla shows flir username is accepted so that (I think shows) that there is still hope. But the pass is rejected of 3vlig. I tried all caps and one or two caps etc. but can not gain access. If there was something else to try I would appreciate it. I do also have telnet access with windows 7 though all I have done is verify that it works to list the directory's. But maybe that is a way in to edit wherever the password file is located? Thanks for any help.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2741 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34:55 pm »
I presume you have done a full battery removal reset ?

Are you sure the camera IP address is correct in Filezilla ? It has been known to change ! Worth checking. 'flir' and '3vlig' used by me...no capitals used.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2742 on: January 04, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »
By far the most common error with this has nothing to do with a changed password on the E4. So I would spend more effort on other things first. Like try a different computer. That way you get the test of different {install of OS, install of ftp client, keyboard with crappy keys} for free.

And as Aurora suggest, make sure you use the correct ip address. But of course you are using the same ip address as the one you are using for the telnet connection. ;) Which incidentally is not necessarily the same ip address as the one filezilla stored during the last session.

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2743 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »
Yes battery out reset, checked IP address and I am trying a different computer right now to see but the fact that telnet gets a connection I am not holding out much hope. Thanks! Tried another pc same thing username accepted password wrong, e4 just flashes the flir boot screen then nothing is there a key to hold to see boot up messages?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:04:09 pm by cuda12 »

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2744 on: January 04, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »
Maybe you could try to install the firmware upgrade package from FLIR's website.  :-/O

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2745 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »
Yes battery out reset, checked IP address and I am trying a different computer right now to see but the fact that telnet gets a connection I am not holding out much hope. Thanks! Tried another pc same thing username accepted password wrong, e4 just flashes the flir boot screen then nothing is there a key to hold to see boot up messages?
If an error occurs after the patch files, I recommend a reset to factory settings. This has helped so far with me.
What is the telnet command for a factory reset? And if I do a reset then I will be stuck on UVC and will not be able to use ftp to fix whatever it is I did?

Offline Anders Olsson

« Reply #2746 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:08 pm »
A friend of mine had an E4 delivered and successfully upgraded to full resolution the other day.
It was bought from proffsmagasinet.se
I did not catch the serial number of this one, but apparently it left FLIR not long ago:

Calibration date: Dec 23, 2013
Model: E4 1.1
SW: 1.19.8

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2747 on: January 04, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »
Even though you got some answers already, the Ex is capable of adding multiple "spot" and "box" measurements (advanced measurement = true) - but the performance is even worse than with the delta modes (pretty sluggish) and it tends to completely lock up the camera - that's the reason why I left it disabled in the menu mod.

If you're _really_ into hacking, then take a look into the files and watch out for my comments near ".ui.userSettings.advancedMeasureMenu".

Example comment:
<!-- rset settings apply instantly without restart -->
<!--  rset .ui.userSettings.advancedMeasureMenu true  DO NOT USE THIS, NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE --->
<!--  rset .ui.userSettings.advancedMeasureMenu false --->
<!--<ToolBar name="measure_remove_selected"/> crash appcore-->
<!--<ToolBar name="measure_resize_box"/> no function-->
<!--<ToolBar name="measure_move_selected"/> no function -->
<!--<ToolBar name="measure_center_selected"/>-->

<!--lockups, only advantage: average over area function-->
<!--<ToolBar name="measure_min_max_avg_menu">
<ToolBar name="measure_local_max"/>

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:28:32 pm by Taucher »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2748 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »
What is the telnet command for a factory reset? And if I do a reset then I will be stuck on UVC and will not be able to use ftp to fix whatever it is I did?

Well, maybe your case needs some additional diagnostics:
1) did you by accident completely fill up the FlashBFS drive or append to, instead of adding or overwriting files?
2) did you disconnect USB and unplug the battery, then you wait some moments and re-plug the battery - you press "power on" and wait approx one minute - what did and what does your camera screen show?
3) in this "booted" state plug in the camera to the PC - what IP does the PC interface have, what's the default gateway on that interface
4) try connecting via
4.1) telnet
4.2) ftp
4.3) www
4.4) samba
...to the camera, what are the results - do you get asked for username or password on each of those?

Also note: When connecting the camera after a cold boot directly to the PC without turning it on, then some factory-ftp seems to be running which does not allow a normal login.

Factory reset with a "bricked" camera will be hard to pull off as the UI would be frozen I suppose.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2749 on: January 04, 2014, 09:16:51 pm »
Ref attempting a firmware upgrade install........ I recommend that a firmware upgrade never be attempted until the situation is fully understood. A garbled firmware update can place an embedded computer beyond recovery by normal means. A bad situation made worse.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:23:36 pm by Aurora »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf