Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804229 times)

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2775 on: January 05, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »
May not be 'nice' but hardly fraud.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2776 on: January 05, 2014, 01:48:01 pm »
Wow ! $1000 profit already.

Ref. selling upgraded products for profit.

This is not uncommon. People do not realise how straight forward it is to enhance the camera and feel they are getting a bargain when someone else has done the work for them.

It is a bit entrepreneurial but not really 'wrong' in fraud terms as the seller has made it VERY clear that this is an E4 that has been enhanced to perform LIKE and E8. At no point does he claim it is an E8 or identical to such. Pretty honest but as you say, it would have been nice to credit the authors of the enhancement or at least the forum.

I suppose if someone wishes to effectively pay $1000 for the time a person spent doing the enhancement, that is their business.

As to FLIR, I doubt that they will be that concerned provided people do not try to pass off an E4 as a genuine E8. Such would be fraud and they would likely report the listing as their only action. If it became a mass sale of such fraudulently described devices, they might take legal advice on stopping such.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2777 on: January 05, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
For info only....

Junktronix has kindly sent me some high quality Thorlabs Germanium lenses to experiment with.

I shall see if they have an application with the E4. These lenses will be superior in performance to ZnSe if their characteristics permit their use. They appear to be suitable as a primary lens with a back focus distance of around 15mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111231059741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Datasheet

http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1780&pn=LA9410-F

I will advise on their usefulness to us as soon as I have done some tests (hopefully this week)

Offline m4rkiz

• Contributor
« Reply #2778 on: January 05, 2014, 03:15:34 pm »
for all those that are not sure if they want to install menu hack

and for those that didn't decided if they want to get additional lens

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2779 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:43 pm »
Thanks for the videos.

It is impressive how far the humble budget E4 has come thanks to the efforts of some generous members of this forum who shared their knowledge with us all.  I have said it before, but thanks to all who have helped to develop the E4 baseline in to what it is today....an E8+  :-+

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2780 on: January 05, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »
@m4rkiz

Thanks for the video, very useful.
I just bought the lens ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:51:16 pm by Bonocr »

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2781 on: January 05, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »

@freak_ge

Unfortunately, you're right  :(

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2782 on: January 05, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »
Quote from: Aurora
It is a bit entrepreneurial but not really 'wrong' in fraud terms as the seller has made it VERY clear that this is an E4 that has been enhanced to perform LIKE and E8. At no point does he claim it is an E8 or identical to such. Pretty honest but as you say, it would have been nice to credit the authors of the enhancement or at least the forum.   
Has he explained that IF it ever goes in for repair, or gets a firmware update, the "extras" are GONE !!

It's not like anyone will ever repair these themselves, and this not an unlikely scenario. IF he'd pointed to this thread,
THEN said "I'm charging the extra for my work", fine, but he hasn't pointed out the pitfalls !! AFAIC it stinks.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2783 on: January 05, 2014, 04:01:14 pm »
Is it possible to make the fine adjust distance menu display in feet instead of meters?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2784 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:23 pm »
@digsys

Two Words....... CAVEAT EMPTOR

When spending this sort of money, the bidder would be foolish to not ask questions, consider implications and research the product  ;)

It is, after all, an open auction and not a classified ad. Bidders pay what they think an item is worth to them.

As long as the auction text is factually accurate, it is not the job of the seller to protect bidders from themselves  ;D

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2785 on: January 05, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »
For those, like me, who are amazed at the price that an E4-8 is achieving on eb*y.....think what will happen if/when FLIR make the improvement harder or not feasible ..... enhanced units or those that can be enhanced will become even more desirable. 100% profit will then be the norm ?

That's why I ordered 10 E4's and stored them in my garage  ;D

Just kidding  ;)

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2786 on: January 05, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »
When spending this sort of money, the bidder would be foolish to not ask questions, consider implications and research the product  ;)

There are millions of buyers on ebay - foolish ones are easily found.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2787 on: January 05, 2014, 04:30:53 pm »
There is nothing to suggest that they are or are not taking action on this matter already.

It is not unreasonable to believe that FLIR are taking the matter seriously as  it does effect their PR side if it becomes too well known. To develop a modified firmware and thoroughly test it takes time and I will not be at all surprised if some level of countermeasure is contained in a new firmware for release in the future. That is just the way these things naturally go. Rigol is a perfect example of such attempts at countermeasures when the DS1052 was improved. Not very successful countermeasures in that case though.  ;D

FLIR are a very powerful and professional company in the world of thermography....if they really want to make the enhancement of the E4 to move from trivial to very hard for the common user, I haver no doubt that they could achieve it. Nothing is un-hackable given time and access, but the effort to do so can increase exponentially to the point of it becoming only a mental game of chess between developer and hacker, and at great financial cost to both parties.

No one should be surprised, or annoyed, if FLIR do release a new 'hardened' build version of the E4. An ASIC based countermeasure would likely be enough to make life very difficult for a user to enhance their unit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:32:37 pm by Aurora »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2788 on: January 05, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
After a ADDMENU hack the FLIR logo (in display down left corner) was removed, what should I do to add it again?
Thanks
See my footer how to edit/replace graphics inside the RCC file - just replace the logo image INSIDE the .RCC archive.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2789 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »
Is it possible to make the fine adjust distance menu display in feet instead of meters?
The value is directly linked to the internal registry - didn't test if the value is in Ft when the whole cam is set to the imperial system.
In that case ignore (or edit yourself) the "meters" if you see them - that's hardcoded in the hack.

Just check with the regular focus distance adjustment option (what it shows), the added one is simply a more precise version.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2790 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »
No one should be surprised, or annoyed, if FLIR do release a new 'hardened' build version of the E4. An ASIC based countermeasure would likely be enough to make life very difficult for a user to enhance their unit.

An ASIC based countermeasure would also likely be enough to make it very difficult for Flir to keep the E4 economically viable. ;D Cat, meet mouse. Mouse, meet cat. Have fun!

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2791 on: January 05, 2014, 04:54:19 pm »
The value is directly linked to the internal registry - didn't test if the value is in Ft when the whole cam is set to the imperial system.
In that case ignore (or edit yourself) the "meters" if you see them - that's hardcoded in the hack.

Just check with the regular focus distance adjustment option (what it shows), the added one is simply a more precise version.

Your new menu stays in meters regardless of how the meter is setup. So your menu label is correct. I was just hoping it would switch to feet also.

Offline cuda12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2792 on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:12 pm »
Also think of the flood of returns that some will do when they think they have bricked their E4 (even if not covered) that alone would make flir enact some type of change to the firmware.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2793 on: January 05, 2014, 05:01:26 pm »
There is nothing to suggest that they are or are not taking action on this matter already.
..but not with any urgency. There is no question that they could easily have closed off the current "entry points" with minimal risk, and minimal need for testing, but the fact that many weeks have gone by and hundreds of units shipped since they must have been aware shows that it is not a high priority.
There would be no need for any hardware change. There are multiple things they could do on the existing
hardware to lock it down very effectively, if they really wanted to.

Without any inside knowledge, the only things we know for certain are that they are not so concerned about it that they are in any hurry to change the current situation (from which we can probably reasonably infer that a framerate hack is probably not viable) , and that they have sold a number of additional units that they wouldn't otherwise have sold as a direct result of  hackability.

If anything, I suspect Fluke are more pissed off than Flir.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2794 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »
For info only....

Junktronix has kindly sent me some high quality Thorlabs Germanium lenses to experiment with.

I shall see if they have an application with the E4. These lenses will be superior in performance to ZnSe if their characteristics permit their use. They appear to be suitable as a primary lens with a back focus distance of around 15mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111231059741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Datasheet

http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1780&pn=LA9410-F

I will advise on their usefulness to us as soon as I have done some tests (hopefully this week)

I'm gong to buy it if your test will be sucessfull, thanks for taking action in this matter :-)
Am I right that germanium should give more consistent FOV measurement than ZnSe?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2795 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:00 pm »
@Plesa:
germanium has a higher refractive index than ZnSe - but FOV (field of view) does not depend on that factor - more on the lens geometry.

Are you talking about image distortions or the depth of focus?

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2796 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »
Guys, I am working on my batch version of Tomas123 flir.php.

I plan some kind of histogram - which temperatures in which count are populated over image.

Ideas ?

Hi Daves,

after reading http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#mpr I found a better solution

first create an grayscale image and select any palette (replace the auto-level with the ImageMagick fx operator)
Code: [Select]
exiftool -b -RawThermalImage withlens.jpg | convert - gray:- | convert -depth 16 -endian msb -size 320x240 gray:- -auto-level image.png

exiftool -b -Palette withlens.jpg | convert -size 224X1 -depth 8 RGB:- -separate -swap 1,2 -set colorspace YCbCr -combine -colorspace sRGB -level 4096,60928 palette.png
check -colorspace RGB or sRGB for better colors (Linux/windows)

then write a histogram with this one-liner -> no temporary files and no pipe  :-+
convert palette.png -resize 256x200! image.png -define histogram:unique-colors=false -write histogram:mpr:hgram mpr:hgram -delete 1 -alpha off -compose CopyOpacity -composite hist_color_trans.pngor with background color white
convert palette.png -resize 256x200! image.png -define histogram:unique-colors=false -write histogram:mpr:hgram mpr:hgram -delete 1 -alpha off -compose CopyOpacity -composite -background white  -alpha remove -alpha off hist_color_trans.png
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:14:11 am by tomas123 »

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2797 on: January 05, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »
After a ADDMENU hack the FLIR logo (in display down left corner) was removed, what should I do to add it again?
Thanks
See my footer how to edit/replace graphics inside the RCC file - just replace the logo image INSIDE the .RCC archive.

// FLIR logo
        Image {
            id: logo
            source: "../images/Sc_Logo_FlirHardEdges.png"
            visible: greenbox.appState !== GreenBox.FacetArchiveView

Is this the point that I have to modify?
In what way?
Thanks

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2798 on: January 05, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »
Thanks

// FLIR logo
        Image {
            id: logo
            source: "../images/Sc_Logo_FlirHardEdges.png"
            visible: greenbox.appState !== GreenBox.FacetArchiveView

Is this the point that I have to modify?
In what way?
Thanks
Sc_Logo_FlirHardEdges.png <- that file got edited (into totally transparend) in the hack's RCC archive - you'd have to re-package the rcc file once you exchanged the file back to the original one - you could even replace it with a logo of your own ;)
I've updated my post about RCC extraction (see links in footer) to include extracted versions of the archives as re-packing seems to be less a problem compared to unpacking.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2799 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »
@Plesa:
germanium has a higher refractive index than ZnSe - but FOV (field of view) does not depend on that factor - more on the lens geometry.

Are you talking about image distortions or the depth of focus?

These lenses has the refractive index reduced from ~4 to ~2 by AR coating. The transmission is lower 90% compared to 97% for ZnSe.
Of course the FOV depends only on the geometry.
Yes, I mean the differencies in the measurement should be lower when you are using Ge, than ZnSe. It can be due to the chromatic dispersion.
This can be eliminated by some calibration I think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf