Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804128 times)

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3050 on: January 17, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »
As many of us have said before, FLIR would be shooting themselves in the foot if they "fixed" the E4 hack. That said, I'm sure there will be a new hack if FLIR does make the change.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3051 on: January 17, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »
Hey guys,

I am a bit worried. I left my E4 charging for about 2.5hrs whilst I watched a movie (battery was flashing as low when I went to plug it in). I now have the battery charging symbol "burnt" into the LCD screen. I've tried turning it on/off, taking battery out, running a pure white screen/pure black screen for a few minutes... I can still see it (especially on the grey menu items).

Any ideas if this will persist forever or do I just have to wait it out? I've since lowered my screen brightness to minimum to avoid it happening again/with other things... but yeah, not cool man!

It'll go away after a while, perhaps you can complain to FLIR about their crappy LCD sourcing. Lowering your brightness won't do anything anyway since the liquid crystals are the problem, not the backlight.
Yet of course lowering the contrast of the charging pictures lowers the chance of burn in. I did so as described a few dozen pages before and since then I did not observe burn-in any more.
The good thing is that the initial burn-in disappeared after some hours of use. I guess it would have disappeared faster with an inverted (black on white) charge symbol though.

Hi, all!

I've bought and hacked E4 a month ago. All works perfectly, however I've noticed that the measured temperature is ~ 2K off.
Walls usually are 19'C, but the camera shows 16-17'C. I've also compare it agains i3 (well, i7).
Does anyone noticed this? Or has a fix?

Thanks.

I've made a few posts about it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg348622/#msg348622
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350193/#msg350193
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg358979/#msg358979
I noticed this some time ago as well and it seems weird that all our E4s seem to be off by the same amount. I'm aware that the tolerance is +/-2°C, but I wouldn't have expected that it's constantly 2°C off brand new at room temperature. I wonder in which way these cameras are calibrated if all show the same amount of error.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:55:11 pm by 0xdeadbeef »
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Stuey

• Contributor
« Reply #3052 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:58 pm »
I was a little confused. I uploaded the latest Mk3 files, but didn't see a zoom menu. Reset the E4 with *remove_hack* file, then tried again. Still no zoom menu.

Am I right in assuming that the zoom menu hack requires additional steps detailed at:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326024/#msg326024
and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg366426/#msg366426 ?

I reread general instructions at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg321956/#msg321956 , and now see it says "Updated 3rd Jan - enabled zoom for zoom menu hack." When I first read it, I understood it to mean "added zoom menu hack."

I'm no longer confused, but figured I might save others the 10-15 minutes it took me to understand the situation.

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3053 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:29 pm »
Am I right in assuming that the zoom menu hack requires additional steps detailed at
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg366426/#msg366426 ?

Yes, FOR BETA 3 ZOOM FUNCTION:

1. If necessary edit your flashfs\system\appcore.d\config.d\e8.cfg like this:

.caps.config.image.zoom.enabled bool true
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Stuey

• Contributor
« Reply #3054 on: January 17, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »
Am I right in assuming that the zoom menu hack requires additional steps detailed at

Yes, FOR BETA 3 ZOOM FUNCTION:

1. If necessary edit your flashfs\system\appcore.d\config.d\e8.cfg like this:

Yes, that's what it already says in the mk3 version of the e8.cfg file:

What I'm saying is that I followed the procedure and it still didn't come up. I then read through a lot of pages and discovered Mike's method doesn't give the zoom option, but only enables it. I might tackle the BETA3 mod later on.

Offline QuantumLogic

• Contributor
« Reply #3055 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:20 am »
Glad you figured it out, Stuey.

Think of the e8.cfg file as the lowest-level configuration for the OS and underlying software.  It tells the OS and core software modules what hardware and software features are "supported" by the camera.  Some of these features are (or were) artificially disabled by Flir in order to create feature differences between the Ex series models (E4-->E8).  Zoom is one of those features.  So is thermal resolution.   Other features, such as WiFi support, require hardware that physically does not exist on the E4, so it cannot be enabled.

Then think of the enhanced menus as running on top of that, exposing the features turned on by e8.cfg to the user interface.  IE - the Zoom menu functionality on screen.

If you think of it like that, then it makes sense that only performing one of the changes will not enable the feature.  Both have to be modified for it to work.

Hope this helps others that may be confused by it all.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3056 on: January 18, 2014, 01:59:35 am »
Just playin around with the charging screen....
The bmp is 196K and the camera resized it so the aspect ratio changed.. the image is 209x241
The original battery_frame was 76k and 320x240.
Contrast is high so may lead to lcd burning, but I can reduce the white level and re-load it in the camera.
After the back light turned off,  the image is still there when viewed with a flashlight.

Anybody know what this is?  Guesses?

Offline ckthorp

« Reply #3057 on: January 18, 2014, 03:00:29 am »

That would be Reddy Kilowatt, the power company mascot.  Good pick for a charging screen!

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3058 on: January 18, 2014, 03:11:16 am »

That would be Reddy Kilowatt, the power company mascot.  Good pick for a charging screen!
TADA!!! You GOT IT!
Thanks!  I kinda thought it would be a hoot!

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3059 on: January 18, 2014, 04:19:55 am »
And then there's this....
The only thing is after the charging finishes and the lightening bolt in the grey box disappears, the grey box stays.... oh well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:22:06 am by pomonabill221 »

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3060 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:20 am »
then this with the aspect ratio padded to 320x240
Am I going nuts?!?!?!?

Offline Navynuke

• Contributor
« Reply #3061 on: January 18, 2014, 05:13:29 am »
Did any of the android guys here ever respond/try an android OTG cable? I have a friend with T series flir that sends his images and videos straight from his flir camera to ipad/iphone/etc.. using eyefi card. If USB OTG cable works then with eyefi would effectively have wifi from e4 and never have to worry about cable and usb connector again :) Will likely buy one tomorrow but not an android guy so gonna have to try to find one. I will report back if it works but check here before going out and buying the reader and eyefi card.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3062 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:06 am »
A couple of stupid questions...
What is an OTG cable? and what is an eyefi card?
sorry, I don't have an ipad/iphone/smartphone/cell phone.... one of the few in this world that doesn't!

I would like to get something that I can record wireless also.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3063 on: January 18, 2014, 06:34:12 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-Fi

Only a google away.;-)

In a pinch you can make an USB-OTG cable by shorting the sense pin to GND, but these things are so dirt cheap that you'd only do that if you need it NOW.

jlr134

« Reply #3064 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:33 am »
Did any of the android guys here ever respond/try an android OTG cable? I have a friend with T series flir that sends his images and videos straight from his flir camera to ipad/iphone/etc.. using eyefi card. If USB OTG cable works then with eyefi would effectively have wifi from e4 and never have to worry about cable and usb connector again :) Will likely buy one tomorrow but not an android guy so gonna have to try to find one. I will report back if it works but check here before going out and buying the reader and eyefi card.

Please share results either way

Offline andy1read

• Contributor
« Reply #3065 on: January 18, 2014, 07:25:56 am »
Using the E4 with the menu hack, which has wifi in it.Would it be possible to modify the software/firmware so it can use a usb wifi dongle plugged into a micro usb to female usb adaptor?

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3066 on: January 18, 2014, 07:27:12 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-Fi

Only a google away.;-)

In a pinch you can make an USB-OTG cable by shorting the sense pin to GND, but these things are so dirt cheap that you'd only do that if you need it NOW.
DOH!  WHY didn't I think of that????  Thanks!
I usually use google for things like this.... must be my age showing1

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3067 on: January 18, 2014, 07:53:57 am »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3068 on: January 18, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
... I now have the battery charging symbol "burnt" into the LCD screen. I've tried turning it on/off, taking battery out, running a pure white screen/pure black screen for a few minutes... I can still see it (especially on the grey menu items).

Leaving the camera alone without any power did help - As already quoted way back in this thread a warmer temperature seems to help, too.

Offline andy1read

• Contributor
« Reply #3069 on: January 18, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
@tauncher
 I read some pages on the wifi link, from what I understand,  they were talking about fitting a wifi chip inside, which something I wouldnt want to attempt myself.
 Is it possible for the E4 to recognise and use a usb wifi dongle?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3070 on: January 18, 2014, 09:07:13 am »
@tauncher
 I read some pages on the wifi link, from what I understand,  they were talking about fitting a wifi chip inside, which something I wouldnt want to attempt myself.
Unfortunately the answer to that is unknown yet.
The chipsets just give us some hints on which drivers are probably on board already and are just sleeping - it seems like the Ex is a reduced version of the Exx where the GUI was just reduced to hide functions that are not present.
What's why I'd love to see a teardown images of an Exx-series TIC - for reference what WIFI was used there... but no luck yet.

The USB stack seems to be generic Windows Embedded 6.0 and I've confirmed that it's even possible to add new applications... so there's a chance we'll eventually find a solution.

Somewhat related: there was some effort done in a parallel thread regarding video capture on a second device (Rasperrby PI) and I guess it would be possible to extend such a project to WIFI - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/capturing-video-from-flir-e4-to-portable-device/ (note: I still have hope for an in-camera-video recording hack)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3071 on: January 18, 2014, 09:19:45 am »
@tauncher
Extremely unlikely. Firstly the USB port does not output 5V, so almost certainly no host/OTG support in hardware.
The Flir models that have WiFi (teardown anyone?) will most likely use an internal module, probably on a UART or SPI interface, though could be USB.
AIUI USB wifi dongles tend to rely heavily on software running on the host, so again unlikely and if it did have support, chances are it would only be for a specific chipset.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3072 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:12 am »
What's why I'd love to see a teardown images of an Exx-series TIC - for reference what WIFI was used there...
I've been waiting for exactly the same thing. For the same reason! ;D

Offline andy1read

• Contributor
« Reply #3073 on: January 18, 2014, 10:25:22 am »
Extremely unlikely. Firstly the USB port does not output 5V, so almost certainly no host/OTG support in hardware.
Thats a shame, Flir tools mobile App looks good , Its the only Android App I've found, and I think it only works with WIFI connection ( I might be wrong ) .

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3074 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:30 am »
Thats a shame, Flir tools mobile App looks good , Its the only Android App I've found, and I think it only works with WIFI connection ( I might be wrong ) .
Luckily that line of reasoning has no truck with reality. 1) an usb port doesn't have to supply power to the attached device to have working usb otg functionality. 2) the i.MX257 on the E4 board has an on chip USB OTG PHY.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf