Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803929 times)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3600 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:40 am »
I had replaced my battery with a higher capacity battery so I decided to unsolder the board in the pack and take some close up shots.
Here ya go.
Lighting was a little tough... sorry for the quality.
There are two fets wired in parallel.
I don't know what the small chip is, but guess it is a regulator?
R3 is a 10k NTC thermistor.
The two fets are upside down because this was the way I could get good lighting, but you can read the number.
Nice images! - did you capture full PCB shots of both sides?

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3601 on: February 11, 2014, 07:30:38 am »
Sure... forgot to attach it.
This is before I unsoldered it from the battery compartment.
It was a challenge!  :phew:
Here ya go!
Thank you Taucher...
I really didn't get a full image of the top of the board with all the components, but the "overall" picture is the biggest I took... shows almost all of the board though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:33:21 am by pomonabill221 »

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3602 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:25 am »
What cells did it have inside?  Any specs?

Offline Jaimslaw

• Contributor
« Reply #3603 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:21 am »
Question: A 2nd E4 I bought for my company did not take the hack.  I used Wordpad as the text editor - probably one possible problem (used a freeware text editor and everything went fine for the 2nd camera).  Anyways, on the one that didn't take, it did go through its updated e8.cfg message - just no enhanced resolution.   In making a 2nd attempt, can I just try the hack again -  or should I run the Remove_hack" fif file and then take another stab at it?  It would seem that re-doing the hack is just an update of that e8 config file.

As always: read the instructions (again and again) - remember the hack is tied to the serial number so maybe forgot to change it?
... and again: check out EzCRC01 (see my footer) if you have problems computing the correct CRC01

Also: tell us which SW version your camera "to be hacked" has - and keep e8.cfg with lowercase "E".
If you're using RNDIS mode (recommended) then you can FTP the config directly without the need for a .FIF.

It has the firmware ver 1.19.8.  Between the two "enhancement" efforts, I know that the second one that took was with me being much more methodical in each step.  I did have the right serial number, and generated the correct 2nd number, but i may not have left a blank line after that 2nd CRC01 number (did so after the serial number insertion step).  I will also double check that little e in the config file name to see if that was the culprit.

Am now bringing myself up to speed on the use of ftp  and it does seem to be an easier way to replace the camera's modified config files.  Evidently, I will be using ftp for the menu "hack"

[And thanks for weighing in.  Forget to mention this in last post, but when it comes time for us to take over your planet, you will be spared]

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3604 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:53 am »
The original cell was an 18650, 2600mAh.
I replace it with an 18650, 3200mAh.
Not a big difference, but I had one.
I don't know if the original was a protected cell or not.
It was a samsung ICR18650-26H so Flir uses good batteries..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:42:46 am by pomonabill221 »

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3605 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:19 am »
Thanks for the info!  I am planning a similar upgrade.
The length of the battery will be a good indication if it is protected or not.

One of the best 18650s out there are from Panasonic.
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1141104-panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-rechargeable

How many cells?

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3606 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:05 am »
Thanks for the info!  I am planning a similar upgrade.
The length of the battery will be a good indication if it is protected or not.

One of the best 18650s out there are from Panasonic.
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1141104-panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-rechargeable

How many cells?

Just one cell... that is 99.9% of the battery volume.

I do have a post showing an 18650 standing next to the battery holder for comparison.

Just a FYI... the Flir battery has some double backed tape on it, so when you separate the two halves, the are stuck together by the tape on the battery.

DO NOT SQUEEZE the battery holder!  I did and slightly flattened the original cell... didn't damage it though, but would have if I had squeezed it any more!

The halves are glued together.. I did try Mike's method but it didn't work too well (hitting it with a hard tool).
Tried squeezing to pop the glue seam, but didn't work too well.

Also tried a small, sharp screwdriver.. kinda worked BUT the board is at the top, and the battery is right there, so BE CAREFUL and take your time!

The metal contact strips are spot welded to the battery, but I soldered them back on the new battery... use a HOT iron with a tip that has some mass, get on then off as fast as you can as heat can (will) damage the battery!!!

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3607 on: February 11, 2014, 08:26:02 am »
Thanks for the tips!

They are running the E4 on a single cell  ?!?
Crazy.  They should have at least made it removable.
But now they will charge you $50 for a replacement battery, when you can get the best for just $17...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3608 on: February 11, 2014, 08:42:37 am »
An 18650 has a lot more energy than e.g. an AA battery, although not being that much bigger. Mike measured the power consumption in one of the videos, I can't remember the numbers but it lasts a few hours of continuous use.

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3609 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:28 am »
You can draw more current from the 18650 and have more juice as well.

Why not last double the time and also have removable 18650 batteries?...
Or at least a single removable battery that its easier.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:54:50 am by hgg »

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3610 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:10 am »
I got 4.5 hours of continuous running out of mine before it shut off!
Need to measure the voltage when it shuts off though.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #3611 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
Lunevalley3D in the UK offer an excellent service at very reasonable cost, with no set up fee and at-cost postage.

Take a look at my FLIR Useful Information thread for images and details. The lens adapter for an auxiliary lens cost me only GBP4 ($6) in black ABS.

Unfortunately they can't print the tripod adapter for me because "they are listed under a 'non-commercial' licence". Any further ideas?
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3612 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:24 am »
Unfortunately they can't print the tripod adapter for me because "they are listed under a 'non-commercial' licence". Any further ideas?
Ey? How would a private individual wanting to have something printed for private use be a violation of that non-commercial license?

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3613 on: February 11, 2014, 10:14:34 am »
How would a private individual wanting to have something printed for private use be a violation of that non-commercial license?
Not him, but the company who will print it. Because they print it for money = commercial use. Imho. Anyway stupid.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3614 on: February 11, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
How would a private individual wanting to have something printed for private use be a violation of that non-commercial license?
Not him, but the company who will print it. Because they print it for money = commercial use. Imho. Anyway stupid.

That's like going to the copy shop to print a free for non-commercial use document, and then having it refused on the grounds of the above defunct logic.

So, toggle a bit somewhere and tell them it is yours. Then online you attribute it to the original creator, problem solved.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3615 on: February 11, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »
Confused !

Which tripod adapter are you printing ? I printed Georges80 adapters without incident. Ask the originator of the STL to make it acceptable for printing so that you can submit it.

I did not realise that such restrictions existed.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3616 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:35 pm »
A comment regarding the upgrade of the Lithium battery

The charge management chip in the EXTERNAL charger pod has a safety timer built into it that will stop the charge process after a set period of time even if the battery is not charged fully. I am not aware of the charge management chip used in the E4 itself but if it has a similar timer you may find that a larger capacity cell is not fully charged as a result of a time-out.

Also.... FLIR have used a good quality cell in the OEM battery. One of the challenges for me in the past has been sourcing reasonably priced quality cells. I have been warned that most that come out of China via eBay are basically a case of Russian Roulette.....some OK and some useless ! Where Li-Ion cells are concerned I am very safety conscious as I do not fancy a Li-Ion instigated fire in my house.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3617 on: February 11, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »
most that come out of China ... are basically a case of Russian Roulette

Buy only proved ones based on some review with capacity measurements. Never buy blindly the cheapest ones.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Scutarius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3618 on: February 11, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
Lunevalley3D in the UK offer an excellent service at very reasonable cost, with no set up fee and at-cost postage.

Take a look at my FLIR Useful Information thread for images and details. The lens adapter for an auxiliary lens cost me only GBP4 ($6) in black ABS.

Maybe you are talking about my adapter, I changed the licence.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:244381

Please be careful, it's not a perfect design and it will be holding a lot of money.

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3619 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »
Since FLIR seem to be clamping down in the E4 modification, does this have any affect on the E40's? The E40's have been out a few years, is it safe to say that they will not bother this model?
I'd expect Exx becoming "hackproofed" as well - the urgency with E4 seems higher due to lower pricepoint.

Wait, you mean I can buy a E40 and make it an E60 ?

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3620 on: February 11, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
Wait, you mean I can buy a E40 and make it an E60 ?

yes, see my (list of contents) post here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg380296/#msg380296

and read the e40 story from user emptech until February 05, 2014  ::)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts;u=92207

user funzt upgraded the E30 with WiFi and Bluetooth to 320x240  :-+
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg338671/#msg338671
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:24:50 pm by tomas123 »

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3621 on: February 11, 2014, 04:14:41 pm »
Thank you tomas123 :)

I scored an open box E30 from tequipment.net, 15% discount (but full warranty), a deal !

I just hope I can hack it !...

I'll let you know if I manage to do it.
But from what I read, it should be possible ?
If anyone did it PLEASE send me a PM ! Thanks, it will help me sleep better while waiting for it...

Have a nice day,
uski
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:50:54 pm by uski »

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3622 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »
I have it from reliable sources that all the stock tequipment.net has from their Feb 5 shipment is not yet to 1.21.  I know one person had posted their wasn't but I wanted to throw it out there that the 65 (less now obviously) they received are all pre-1.21 firmware from what I understand.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3623 on: February 11, 2014, 06:35:34 pm »
A comment regarding the upgrade of the Lithium battery

The charge management chip in the EXTERNAL charger pod has a safety timer built into it that will stop the charge process after a set period of time even if the battery is not charged fully. I am not aware of the charge management chip used in the E4 itself but if it has a similar timer you may find that a larger capacity cell is not fully charged as a result of a time-out.

Also.... FLIR have used a good quality cell in the OEM battery. One of the challenges for me in the past has been sourcing reasonably priced quality cells. I have been warned that most that come out of China via eBay are basically a case of Russian Roulette.....some OK and some useless ! Where Li-Ion cells are concerned I am very safety conscious as I do not fancy a Li-Ion instigated fire in my house.
Thank you for your info.
I did tests to make sure the battery is getting fully charged.
First I charged with an external power supply to 3.2V limited to 1.5A.
Then I load tested them.
Then I charged in the Flir.
Load tested again.
The times were the same in both cases.

I have a electronic dummy load that I set at 0.5 amps and 1.5 amps, and had 6 18650 batteries of unknown quality and age, even though they were Samsung and Panasonics.

I discharged them to 3.0volts and monitored the discharge curves with a pen chart recorder to see the curves.
Three of the old samsung batteries ran for about 60 minutes, but I knew that because they were old laptop batteries.

The original Flir battery ran for 90 minutes at 1.5 amps, and the Panasonic ran for 120 minutes.
This proved to me that the Panasonic was genuine.

Those trustfire and ANY battery claiming over 3200 mAh IS FAKE.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 4000/5000 mAh LiIon!!!  Even those that claim 3200 mAh can be fake as well.

Here is a VERY good website comparing over 22 18650 batteries:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3624 on: February 11, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »
You realize when a battery is measured for it's ampere-hour rating, the discharge is not done
continuous but over a 24 hour period, giving the battery a chance to "rest."  Although your method
will give you an idea of the battery's capabilities and give you a benchmark.

From the video, Flour, sure they were not smuggling some other white powder?  Ha ha.

I've always wanted to own a small spot welder, as you know, soldering to a cell is very bad for
the cell and can ruin it.  Right, apply the heat quickly and cool the cell right away.

So, it is believed the battery management circuit is in the camera and not the battery?  If it was in
the battery, the camera would have to have a data link to read the status.  It would be interesting to
find of your new, larger battery, gets fully charged.

Same Pamona, home of Cal-Poly?

Jim

Thank you for your info.
I did tests to make sure the battery is getting fully charged.
First I charged with an external power supply to 3.2V limited to 1.5A.
Then I load tested them.
Then I charged in the Flir.
Load tested again.
The times were the same in both cases.

Here is a VERY good website comparing over 22 18650 batteries:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html
[/quote]
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf