Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803752 times)

Offline Rainer

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4600 on: March 29, 2014, 07:12:00 pm »
if this is happen, the TIC has a problem with the config.cfc. Pick on of the other cfc-files or your backup and make the hack for a second time. Attention: The Beta you have to install in the FlashBFS and the hack you have to install in the FlashFS.

@freak_ge: With tomas123 i had tested the old appcore-Exe on my new 1.1L-HW. And i had tested the prodapp-Exe from the 1.19.8. Both Executables are working. So i think, it is not completly impossible to downgrade. And the downgraded TIC of "fp" was not fully bricked. The bootloader was working, as i remember his last posts.

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4601 on: March 29, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
@Onion
Sorry that didn't help! Now i know that the updates don't replace all of the files on the cam. Rainer mentioned grabbing one of the other config.cfc files. They are on your cam, there isn't just the one you messed with. I don't remember the page number but a little way back in this thread that is talked about. It will tell you where to find one that will work. Hope you get it working! It will take some tinkering but you'll get it!

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4602 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
if this is happen, the TIC has a problem with the config.cfc. Pick on of the other cfc-files or your backup and make the hack for a second time. Attention: The Beta you have to install in the FlashBFS and the hack you have to install in the FlashFS.

@freak_ge: With tomas123 i had tested the old appcore-Exe on my new 1.1L-HW. And i had tested the prodapp-Exe from the 1.19.8. Both Executables are working. So i think, it is not completly impossible to downgrade. And the downgraded TIC of "fp" was not fully bricked. The bootloader was working, as i remember his last posts.
Hi Rainer, wie gehts?
Yes of course, the appcore.exe from 1.19 is working on 1.22.
Since 1.21 the webaccess (192.168.0.2) is not completely. It is no more possible to change the EEPROM ('E4' to 'E8'), and service mode is no longer available.
But with old appcore.exe running as appcore1.exe the EEPROM access and the service mode working very well.
I have already the 4th E4 cracked, now the firmware 1:22. More and more friends be convinced by me and the superior performance of the E8+. I am then getting the patcher.

I am going to be getting a 1.21 1.1L on Thursday.  Are you saying that service mode will be unavailable, and what exactly does that mean?  I don't recall service mode even being discussed.  Would upgrading to 1.22 be a wise choice before doing the hacks?  Thanks.

Offline kanzas19

• Contributor
« Reply #4603 on: March 29, 2014, 09:04:18 pm »
Has anyone tried to replace the battery in your Ex?
In the middle of the cell li-ion 18650. It is also about 2 "little shit"  >:D who can not "see" the newly listed batteries.
Probably in soft are also some security.
  Let's do something about it, if someone tried?

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4604 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »
Has anyone tried to replace the battery in your Ex?
In the middle of the cell li-ion 18650. It is also about 2 "little shit"  >:D who can not "see" the newly listed batteries.
Probably in soft are also some security.
  Let's do something about it, if someone tried?

What?  I don't understand what you are saying.

I think it is unlikely that there is security on a 3 terminal Li-Ion battery, 3rd terminal is usually thermistor.

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4605 on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »

Hi Rainer, wie gehts?
Yes of course, the appcore.exe from 1.19 is working on 1.22.
Since 1.21 the webaccess (192.168.0.2) is not completely. It is no more possible to change the EEPROM ('E4' to 'E8'), and service mode is no longer available.
But with old appcore.exe running as appcore1.exe the EEPROM access and the service mode working very well.
I have already the 4th E4 cracked, now the firmware 1:22. More and more friends be convinced by me and the superior performance of the E8+. I am then getting the patcher.

I am going to be getting a 1.21 1.1L on Thursday.  Are you saying that service mode will be unavailable, and what exactly does that mean?  I don't recall service mode even being discussed.  Would upgrading to 1.22 be a wise choice before doing the hacks?  Thanks.
It makes no difference whether 1.21 or 1.22.
Look at attached files, this is the service mode!
But beware, you can make a lot of broken.

OK, I remember seeing that a few times, but don't recollect anyone mentioning that it is unavailable as of 1.21 +.  This is troubling.  Is it possible to edit these menu item parameters via config files?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4606 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
@kansas19

The Ex battery is a standard 'dumb' design with a 10k thermistor connected to the 3rd terminal. There is no 'intelligence' in the battery. At least one member of this forum has fitted a higher capacity Li-Ion cell into teh battery case without issues.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:08:40 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4607 on: March 29, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »

OK, I remember seeing that a few times, but don't recollect anyone mentioning that it is unavailable as of 1.21 +.  This is troubling.  Is it possible to edit these menu item parameters via config files?
Service mode is needed the webfiles (FlashBFS\system\web\) from a 1.19 camera. In a 1.22 camera I had seen these files are missing.

So will copying files from a 1.19 or 1.18 fix it? 

Offline Rainer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4608 on: March 29, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

Service mode is needed the webfiles (FlashBFS\system\web\) from a 1.19 camera. In a 1.22 camera I had seen these files are missing.

So will copying files from a 1.19 or 1.18 fix it?

You need also the prodapp.exe and the dll.

Offline Onion

« Reply #4609 on: March 30, 2014, 12:14:32 am »

Thanks for the replies guys! I successfully modded my 1.1L 1.22.0 ! I was able to restore to factory settings after pasting the factory conf.cfc. After I tried the mod again, success!
This will be an indispensable tool  in my construction business!
Thank you all for the hard work and effort put into this project!!!

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4610 on: March 30, 2014, 01:09:59 am »
Congrats Onion! Told you you would get it! Just for the record please post the file path to the conf file that you used!

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4611 on: March 30, 2014, 01:58:32 am »

Thanks for the replies guys! I successfully modded my 1.1L 1.22.0 ! I was able to restore to factory settings after pasting the factory conf.cfc. After I tried the mod again, success!
This will be an indispensable tool  in my construction business!
Thank you all for the hard work and effort put into this project!!!

Are you able to enter and use service mode?

Offline kanzas19

• Contributor
« Reply #4612 on: March 30, 2014, 02:51:11 am »
@Gallymimus & Aurora

Thermistor?
I'm afraid that you may not be right in this case.
When I connect a new battery, the display of the camera is the empty battery symbol crossed (battery broken). Approx. 1 - 2 sec. and the camera turns off.
In the picture two little sh.t in battery ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:05:38 am by kanzas19 »

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4613 on: March 30, 2014, 05:13:27 am »
So, has the 1.21/1.22 firmware been defeated?

If so, high five! Suck it, FLIR!

If not...  ::) :-/O

Offline marculito

« Reply #4614 on: March 30, 2014, 06:33:47 am »

Yeah :P I have 1.21 and mine has been "hacked". Works great! Especially with all the new menus :P

Offline Fisher

« Reply #4615 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:06 am »
Has anyone received recently the free gift for the E4 purchase?
I`ve sent my request early in March, they requested me the invoice around the 15th of March,and since then I have no feedback.

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4616 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:52 am »

Yeah :P I have 1.21 and mine has been "hacked". Works great! Especially with all the new menus :P

I'm glad to hear that.  So service mode is also completely functional as well?  I can't seem to get an answer on this.  Thanks.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4617 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:10 am »
@Gallymimus & Aurora

Thermistor?
When I connect a new battery, the display of the camera is the empty battery symbol crossed (battery broken). Approx. 1 - 2 sec. and the camera turns off.

see discussion here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg385379/#msg385379
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg385395/#msg385395

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #4618 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:26 am »
@ Fisher

Yes, the turn-around time was only one week from the time I mailed the receipts until it arrived via UPS. I went with the laser rangefinder, since I already had a cheap but good enough borescope. Good enough to find missing cat toys under the refrigerator, at least.

I included a copy of everything that seemed relevant: a printout of the email confirmation from the vendor, the invoice from the web page, and the packing list from the shipment of the camera. The order number tracked all the way through all three pieces of paper, so they could see that I ordered it, paid for it, and received it plus verify that it was a genuine UPS tracking number.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4619 on: March 30, 2014, 10:37:41 am »
@Gallymimus & Aurora

Thermistor?
That pic shows 2 FETs and a control chip - standard lithium protection circuit.
There is a battery management chip on the main board, which does gas-gauging to estimate battery state - it probably does some reality checks on the voltage and thermistor value. 

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4620 on: March 30, 2014, 11:45:48 am »

I'm glad to hear that.  So service mode is also completely functional as well?  I can't seem to get an answer on this.  Thanks.
If you have a 1.21, then you can test the service mode and give us an answer on this question.
I hope, you have had a backup of your camera before hacking. Plz. check the subdir FlashBFS\system\web\
How many files are in it?
Or go in RNDIS mode, connect to PC and call 192.168.0.2 in browser. If web interface shown, klick on service mode.

I do not have the camera yet.  It is on the way.  I purchased it because there were no indications that I could see that said anything about a problem after the hack was announced.  So far you're the only person who has mentioned a problem with service mode as far as I can tell, which is why I am asking others to tell me their experiences with regard to this.  I read through everything here, and your revelation comes as a shock and huge disappointment to me and I don't understand why others haven't brought this up.   I would have expected some notice about this in the information thread as well.  :(

Offline Rainer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4621 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:40 am »
@ freak_ge: i have a 1.21-TIC. The web/service-folder ist empy(or a couple of files and empty folders in it, but not the "index.asp") So there is no web-based service mode.

In the battery are two serial FETs, one in charge and one in discharge-direction. This is a standard application of the Li-Ion-protection-ics. And a little 6-pin-SOT23 "Battery protection IC" to control the fets. Most of these protection-IC´s have two pins for measure voltage of the cell, two pins as output for switching the fets and one pin for measure the current (with the Rdson as shunt). The sixth pin is sometimes for special purposes and sometimes sometimes not in use(like the microchip units). These chips are important for the safety of the battery, but not for any application in the  TIC. When the TIC switched of, after modification of the battery, it might possible, that the protection ic switched of the discharge-Fet.   

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4622 on: March 30, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

Unless there is some workaround, I am going to be very disappointed

If you have a 1.21, then you can test the service mode and give us an answer on this question.
I hope, you have had a backup of your camera before hacking. Plz. check the subdir FlashBFS\system\web\
Or go in RNDIS mode, connect to PC and call 192.168.0.2 in browser. If web interface shown, klick on service mode.

I do not have the camera yet.  It is on the way.  I purchased it because there were no indications that I could see that said anything about a problem after the hack was announced.  So far you're the only person who has mentioned a problem with service mode as far as I can tell, which is why I am asking others to tell me their experiences with regard to this.  I read through everything here, and your revelation comes as a shock and huge disappointment to me and I don't understand why others haven't brought this up.   I would have expected some notice about this in the information thread as well.  :(

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4623 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:51 pm »
[...] So far you're the only person who has mentioned a problem with service mode as far as I can tell, which is why I am asking others to tell me their experiences with regard to this.  I read through everything here, and your revelation comes as a shock and huge disappointment to me and I don't understand why others haven't brought this up.   I would have expected some notice about this in the information thread as well.  :(

It has been stated here and here. And most certainly a few other times.
What exactly is "a shock" and "huge disappointment" about a missing service mode that has been hardly used anyway? It's still hackable. Is an E8+ for the price of an E4 worth nothing?
I really don't see an issue...

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4624 on: March 30, 2014, 12:14:41 pm »

Unless there is some workaround, I am going to be very disappointed

Would you tell us something?

Tell you what?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf