Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804230 times)

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4750 on: April 18, 2014, 03:56:10 am »
Success!! Finally!

Tried many tools for the res/menu fix for the E4. (V1.21.0 1.1L)
Ftool, TIConfig, etc.
None worked ..always in a boot loops or CRC error (and quite frankly, scared me..thought I 'd bricked it...several times).
I must say I was using win7/64, so there may have been an issue with that (Microsoft anal security with command/terminal ..unless in admin mode)

Used Filezilla (yes, I know .."I told you so!")  backed up the FlashFS and FlashBFS directories.
Copied the factory conf.cfc ( from the Flash FS/system/appcore.d/config.d directory) to a separate directory (for backup/safety).

Copied the factory conf.cfc to my old XP laptop, then ran  "cfc_generator" {stefbeer} & ran it..what a breeze!
Renamed the newly created file (conf_new.cfc) to conf.cfc   moved it back to the Win7 machine/Filezilla then uploaded it  ..and success!
Again,... there may be issues with some of the  apps with win7/64?? Just sayin'...
Thanks again stefbeer!!  :D    I owe you a beer or 2!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:29:48 am by Teledog »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4751 on: April 18, 2014, 09:15:04 am »
However, I have 2 questions:
- I can't get thermal fusion to work - any idea here?
If 3rd party software is acceptable solution, see BFIC in my footnote. It can do better thermal fusion (with thermal opacity).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:18:50 am by daves »
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #4752 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:17 pm »
I downloaded the batch converter from your link, when running it, shows version .9.  I get a message
saying the version has expired, I don't know where there is a newer version.  When I click on
a source image, I get the error message Runtime Error "5", Invalid Procedure Call.

I'm running windoze 7 professional 64bit, any ideas?

Thanks -  Jim
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4753 on: April 18, 2014, 06:05:44 pm »
I downloaded the batch converter from your link, when running it, shows version .9.  I get a message
saying the version has expired, I don't know where there is a newer version.  When I click on
a source image, I get the error message Runtime Error "5", Invalid Procedure Call.

I'm running windoze 7 professional 64bit, any ideas?

Thanks -  Jim
I just uploaded version 0.9d - try it. If this error will occur again, send me a screenshot and source image to daves at daves dot cz
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline treefiddy

« Reply #4754 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
Ok so I just got a shipment of 15 E4's in... I have already done the resolution hack on one.  Is the menu hack as good of an upgrade as the resolution hack is?  In other words, is it worth doing both upgrades?  Also, is "beta3" in "Reply #910 on: November 09, 2013, 03:01:58 AM" still the most recent/best menu hack?

Thanks for your help in this thread.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4755 on: April 18, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »
Ok so I just got a shipment of 15 E4's in... I have already done the resolution hack on one.  Is the menu hack as good of an upgrade as the resolution hack is?  In other words, is it worth doing both upgrades?  Also, is "beta3" in "Reply #910 on: November 09, 2013, 03:01:58 AM" still the most recent/best menu hack?

Holy crap, that's a lot of E4's!

To answer your question: I don't have an E4 myself, but it is my understanding that the menu hack adds a lot of features that aren't even available in the standard E8. I think some of those features will only work after the resolution hack is applied, although I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:27:39 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4756 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:31 pm »
The Menu hack adds manual control over the cameras temperature span and centre temperature. As thermograpers will know, that is reason enough to install it. ;) Other features such as different colour palets and electronic Zoom are other useful additions included in the Menu Hack. I am still running a customised Beta2A as I do not need the additional meaurement functions of Beta3. My E4 has yet to crash on me and appears rock stable, so no downside to the upgrade from my perspective.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4757 on: April 19, 2014, 12:50:18 am »

You planning on selling those suckers? I'd like one, for $1010 thank you very much.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:53:24 am by scientist »

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4758 on: April 19, 2014, 12:52:45 am »
Camera (E40bx, ver. 490xxxxx) still works and works with 320x240 resolution! :) Should work with all Exx cameras I guess.

However, I have 2 questions:
- I can't get thermal fusion to work - any idea here?
- I can't change logo (FlashFS/system/bootlogo.bmp) - I created same size image and replace it, but no difference. Not a big deal actually, but would be nice.

Here are steps for dummies (like me! :) ):
- Download tools from https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teag321956/#msg321956
1. Download E60 files from my previous post (E60 goodies)
2. Modify files with proper serial number and calculated CRC. Mind all described in CRC01 tool text file!
3. Download clonezilla
4. Turn on camera, connect it to wlan. Check its IP in WLAN settings
5. Connect to camera with clonezilla. Use IP, seen on camera WLAN settings, username "flir", password "3vlig"
6. Backup FlashFS folder - there are all files, that will be altered.
7. Replace files on camera with ones, that you created. I suggest only renaming original files with .old extension instead of rewrite/delete. This way original files are backuped on camera as well.
8. Shut down camera, remove battery, wait a bit and then turn camera on (offcourse insert battery first :) ) Voila!

EDITED
Due to unknown reason, with my camera (and latest Flir firmware - 2.23.14) this change only works in a following way:
- Do everything described above (DO RENAME OLD FILES!!!)
- Cold start camera (off, battery out, on)
- Connect to it back, and rename "new" files with .new
- Rename "old" files back to original name
- Cold start camera (off, battery out, on)
This was it works! (also Thermal fusion!)

I would like to thank all of you guys for help you provided!

Regards,
Gregor

That thermal fusion is absolutely beautiful. The matching, that is... 

Offline strantor

• Contributor
« Reply #4759 on: April 19, 2014, 01:03:02 am »
I received my E4 today from Amazon Prime (order placed 2 days ago), Firmware 1.22.0, model 1.1L. I tried the procedure in Dave's video and the menu hack worked but I lost MSX and all the other modes except thermal and picture. Restored to factory .cfc file and tried Marphy's program, worked beautifully! Lovely program, very simple - dare I say... idiotproof? Thanks Marphy!

thanks Dave, too, and all that paved the way to this awesome hack! Sorry I don't know who you all are, but I love you the same!

This tool will help me immensely in my work (troubleshooting industrial motors/controls/electronics)! If any of you live in or come through Houston, TX, hit me up; I'd love to buy you a beer.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4760 on: April 19, 2014, 01:09:23 am »
You mean Mike? Dave Jones hasn't done anything related to the hack.

Offline strantor

• Contributor
« Reply #4761 on: April 19, 2014, 02:25:56 am »
You mean Mike? Dave Jones hasn't done anything related to the hack.

I wasn't referring to Dave Jones, I was referring to DaveWB, who made the walkthrough video for the 1.2x hack. back in post 4520
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg409787/#msg409787

Sorry for the confusion, and sorry if I'm misplacing credit.

Offline jpordonezq

« Reply #4762 on: April 19, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »
Hi All
Trying to apply the resolution and menu enhancement to an E4 with software v1.22. Have been able to connect successfully via RNDIS and repeteadly tried to use the TIConfig app (v2.01) by Marphy. With TIConfig I could change the menu but have not been able to change the E4 configuration. Keep getting the error (550) File unavailable (e.g. file not found, no access). The camera keeps working normally with the E4 configuration instead.
Thinking about using the  "cfc_generator" (by stefbeer) however looking for the configuration file via Filezilla I found a conf.cfg file and not conf.cfc file. This file is in text format and not encrypted. Is this normal? Some here have mentioned that the TIConfig utility adds some extra FlashFS directories that need to be deleted before the modification can work, what are those directories?
Thanks!
JP

Offline mucek

• Contributor
    • eCAT electronic engineering
« Reply #4763 on: April 19, 2014, 02:34:02 pm »
What is the other (non conf.cfg) file name?
As I saw with my case (E40), there must not be addtitional files in the filesystem for camera to work properly (I renamed old files with.old extension and it wasn't ok!). Can you manually open the encrypted file and see, if it has hack included or not?

Regards,
Gregor

Offline phubarr

« Reply #4764 on: April 19, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »
I just received my E4 from Amazon (Prime) literally minutes ago also, and it is version 1.22.0 as well. At the moment I'm not certain if this is good or bad because I've never noticed anybody mention the trailing ".0" before... I'll start researching it now!  I'm so excited!  I've been waiting to buy a thermal imager for YEARS and this hack swung it for me! 

Offline phubarr

« Reply #4765 on: April 19, 2014, 03:20:13 pm »
I just received my E4 from Amazon (Prime) literally minutes ago also, and it is version 1.22.0 as well. At the moment I'm not certain if this is good or bad because I've never noticed anybody mention the trailing ".0" before... I'll start researching it now!  I'm so excited!  I've been waiting to buy a thermal imager for YEARS and this hack swung it for me!
It's all fine!
For newbies questions: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-teardown-qa-and-newbie-questions/
You can make the hack for 1.21/1.22. At this moment there is no other FW than 1.22.0. It's the reason why all of us write only 1.22.
Thank you very much for clarifying, freak_ge!  It is greatly appreciated!

Offline jpordonezq

« Reply #4766 on: April 20, 2014, 01:06:01 am »
Hi All
Trying to apply the resolution and menu enhancement to an E4 with software v1.22. Have been able to connect successfully via RNDIS and repeteadly tried to use the TIConfig app (v2.01) by Marphy. With TIConfig I could change the menu but have not been able to change the E4 configuration. Keep getting the error (550) File unavailable (e.g. file not found, no access). The camera keeps working normally with the E4 configuration instead.
Thinking about using the  "cfc_generator" (by stefbeer) however looking for the configuration file via Filezilla I found a conf.cfg file and not conf.cfc file. This file is in text format and not encrypted. Is this normal? Some here have mentioned that the TIConfig utility adds some extra FlashFS directories that need to be deleted before the modification can work, what are those directories?
Thanks!
JP
For newbies questions: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-teardown-qa-and-newbie-questions/
If you can post a screenshot from the directory structure (e.g. with filezilla), it will help us to help you.
Also if you post your original conf.cfc from /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/ . If you know what you do with filezilla, I can give back the hacked conf.cfc to you and you have to copy it back to your camera.

Hi freak_ge thanks a lot for your reply. I send a screenshot of the E4 directory and one of the content of the config.d directory. As you can see there is just a config.cfg file, no trace of any config.cfc. As I wrote before, I could change the menus form E4->E8 and back using the TIConfig app, however the configuration file refuses to change. If I can find the config.cfc I will post it here. Thanks!

Offline jpordonezq

« Reply #4767 on: April 20, 2014, 05:38:35 am »
Hi freak_ge thanks a lot for your reply. I send a screenshot of the E4 directory and one of the content of the config.d directory. As you can see there is just a config.cfg file, no trace of any config.cfc. As I wrote before, I could change the menus form E4->E8 and back using the TIConfig app, however the configuration file refuses to change. If I can find the config.cfc I will post it here. Thanks!
I hope you made a backup. Copy complete dirs FlashFS and FlashBFS to your hdd.
If your FW is 1.22 then the config file at FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/ is a .cfc not .cfg
Look at FlashFS/system/services.d/config.d. There must be another conf file. It must be a .cfc. If so, post it here!

<edit>Take a look at my filezilla.jpg. You can see the complete tree. Something like this is helpful! Can you find a conf.cfc?

Hi Freak-ge, thanks for your reply. Apparently the directories are identical. Also I have a backup of both FlashFS and FlashBFS. No .cfc files found in both FlashFS and FlashBFS (searched the backup content), just conf.cfg only. This is getting strange. (The camera is working all right so far).

Offline jpordonezq

« Reply #4768 on: April 20, 2014, 09:42:50 am »
Then you have FW 1.19.8.
Make the older hack (crc01).
If you don't know how, send me your conf.cfg from FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/
I will send you back the hacked one.
Thanks Freak_ge, I got a similar impression when comparing the serial # and calibration dates posted in this forum, yes this camera came with v1.198 originally and then updated to 1.22 with Flir tools on a mack. I will give your suggestion a try and report.
Best Regards

Offline kanzas19

• Contributor
« Reply #4769 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:38 am »
All users of this forum and their families, best wishes on the occasion of Easter.
Many of God's blessing and the joy of being with your loved ones and a lot of strength to overcome the hardships of everyday life.

Offline strantor

• Contributor
« Reply #4770 on: April 20, 2014, 01:53:21 pm »
I received my E4 today from Amazon Prime (order placed 2 days ago), Firmware 1.22.0, model 1.1L. I tried the procedure in Dave's video and the menu hack worked but I lost MSX and all the other modes except thermal and picture. Restored to factory .cfc file and tried Marphy's program, worked beautifully! Lovely program, very simple - dare I say... idiotproof? Thanks Marphy!

thanks Dave, too, and all that paved the way to this awesome hack! Sorry I don't know who you all are, but I love you the same!

This tool will help me immensely in my work (troubleshooting industrial motors/controls/electronics)! If any of you live in or come through Houston, TX, hit me up; I'd love to buy you a beer.
Can you tell us the date of calibration and the partly (without the last 3 digits) serial number? Was the camera shipped directly by Flir?
@ phubarr: Can you do it too? Best here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/120/#lastPost
Sure, probably on monday. I'm out of town for famliy holiday and I left the cam at home.

Offline jpordonezq

« Reply #4771 on: April 20, 2014, 02:22:49 pm »
Then you have FW 1.19.8.
If you don't know how, send me your conf.cfg from FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/
Hi Freak_ge Just FYI I tried your suggestion with the CRC01 hack and it worked, thanks for all your help :-+
The difference is quite shocking I have to say. I attach 2 files, before and after for comparison.
The conf.cfg file change was quite simple using the CRC01 hack and transferring the result via RNDIS & Filezilla.
Cheers and Kudos to all involved in figuring out the hack and outlaying the file replacement procedure.
JP

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4772 on: April 20, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »
Then you have FW 1.19.8.
Thanks Freak_ge, I got a similar impression when comparing the serial # and calibration dates posted in this forum, yes this camera came with v1.198 originally and then updated to 1.22 with Flir tools on a mack. I will give your suggestion a try and report.
Best Regards
Then you own the first reported successful updated E4 from 1.19.8 to 1.22.0. Interesting is  the fact, that your updated 1.22 is crc01 protect, not crc03.
Is the conf.cfg readable?

Gesendet von meinem PadFone 2 mit Tapatalk 2
I wonder if the later FW looks at calibration files to determine which config file to look at. Or maybe the "L" in the hardware version is used to decide to allow a CRC01'd config file.

Has anyone actually tried using a 1.19.x CRC01'd config file with 1.22..?

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline madmax378

« Reply #4773 on: April 20, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
First, thanks to all for this thread.  I bought a refurb E4 directly from Flir ver. 1.22 installed.  I guess they did a fresh firmware install.  I used Marphy's tool and successfully upgraded.  Now I want to make sure I keep the upgrade and can use Flir Tools without worry.

I have a concern about using Flir Tools and it auto updating and/or possibly cross-checking E4 firmware against SNs via the web.  Is this something I need to worry about?  Could I just use FileZilla to get images off the camera then use Flir Tools on the local files?  Or should I stick to a 3rd party software like Dave's BFIC? 

Also, can I just leave the camera USB in RNDIS mode once I'm done with the upgrade?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:04:55 pm by madmax378 »

Offline strantor

• Contributor
« Reply #4774 on: April 20, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »
First, thanks to all for this thread.  I bought a refurb E4 directly from Flir ver. 1.22 installed.  I guess they did a fresh firmware install.  I used Marphy's tool and successfully upgraded.  Now I want to make sure I keep the upgrade and can use Flir Tools without worry.

I have a concern about using Flir Tools and it auto updating and/or possibly cross-checking E4 firmware against SNs via the web.  Is this something I need to worry about?  Could I just use FileZilla to get images off the camera then use Flir Tools on the local files?  Or should I stick to a 3rd party software like Dave's BFIC? 

Also, can I just leave the camera USB in RNDIS mode once I'm done with the upgrade?

Thanks
I have similar concerns. I installed flir tools on another pc with the net connected only long enough to complete the install, then disconnected and tried to connect to the e4. It would not recognize the e4 being connected. Not sure why; probably operator error, I'm a noob. But I didn't press the issue; I found that I could get the pics off the e4 using Marphy's program once again, or with filezilla, so I don't know what incentive I have to dance around the fire of flir tools. I've never used it successfully but from what I gather, its only purpose is to suck the pics out and generate reports; I got the pic sucking taken care of, and the BFIC looks like it generates slicker reports anyway, so why bother?  Any good reason to give flir tools another go?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf