Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803672 times)

Offline jpordonezq

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4775 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:00 am »
Then you have FW 1.19.8.
Make the older hack (crc01).
If you don't know how, send me your conf.cfg from FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/
I will send you back the hacked one.
Thanks Freak_ge, I got a similar impression when comparing the serial # and calibration dates posted in this forum, yes this camera came with v1.198 originally and then updated to 1.22 with Flir tools on a mack. I will give your suggestion a try and report.
Best Regards
Then you own the first reported successful updated E4 from 1.19.8 to 1.22.0. Interesting is  the fact, that your updated 1.22 is crc01 protect, not crc03.
Is the conf.cfg readable?

Gesendet von meinem PadFone 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Yes, both conf.cfg and e8.cfg are plain text, readable.
Cheers

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4776 on: April 21, 2014, 09:03:28 pm »
Can someone with an E4 and FW 1.22.0 try to unlock resolution with an e8.cfg with crc01?

we tested this without success with firmware 1.21.0

read this and the next post from Rainer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg399993/#msg399993

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4777 on: April 21, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »
Some may recall that FLIR told me that to upgrade from FW 1.19.8 to 1.21.0 I needed to return my E4 to them for an special upgrade. We all knew that the 'special upgrade' was unlikely to be for my benefit ! At the time it was suspected that the FLIR upgrade was in fact a change to the boot-loader or some other file set that could not be changed via a simple Firmware update. It would seem that this assumption is correct as no CRC03 is active on a 1.19.8 unit that has been upgraded to 1.22.0 without the 'special FLIR' upgrade  ;)

For those wondering..... there has not been any evidence, or even suggestion, that Firmware's later then 1.19.8 offer ANY improvement in camera performance or capability. In fact there are no known improvements since the original 1.17.x !
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:09:57 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4778 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:20 am »
a confirmation:

after updating the Flir Tools to  Version 4.1.14066.1001 (28. Febr 2014 06:53)
http://support.flir.se/custhelp/softwaredownload/rss/feed.xml

I get this new message:

conclusion: firmware 1.22 is upgradable from 1.19.8 (older Flir Tools Version doesn't support an E4 update)

http://support.flir.se/CustHelp/FirmwareDownload/rss/camfeed.xml
FLIR Ex Series (1.22.0)
Montag, 10. März 2014 12:40

FLIR Ex Series (1.22.0)

Main improvements

Improved shutter handling.
    Various bug fixes.

Alternative 1 (recommended): To update your camera firmware to this version, please use FLIR Tools PC software.

Alternative 2: To update your camera firmware to this version, download and unzip the file below, then install it according to the included instruction.

source firmware: http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=196

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4779 on: April 22, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »
Hmmm shutter handling ? Anyone notice any bugs in the pre 1.22.0 FW NUC shutter function ? I haven't.

"Various bug fixes" .... not very informative and I am not aware of any major bug in the E4.... anyone know of any ?

Don't think I will need to bother with 1.22.0  ;)
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4780 on: April 22, 2014, 01:31:30 pm »
Hmmm shutter handling ? Anyone notice any bugs in the pre 1.22.0 FW NUC shutter function ? I haven't.

"Various bug fixes" .... not very informative and I am not aware of any major bug in the E4.... anyone know of any ?

Have the even fixed the non-display of time/date in the image browser ? that's probably the most obvious bug I've noticed. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Rainer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4781 on: April 22, 2014, 03:45:02 pm »

Sometimes, when i switch on the TIC with USB plugged in, it shows the Flir-Start-Image and then it rotates with start of the second image(special-edition-image) the TIC-Screen upside down.

And when the TIC is in MSD-Mode and i press the play-archive-Button, it hang up and show "indexing images" in TIC-Screen.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Boot message
« Reply #4782 on: April 22, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »
I have discovered something new!
Do make a cold-start and press a key during boot.
Attached a video from cold-start of my camera.
I showed this in either the review or teardown vid

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #4783 on: April 22, 2014, 05:12:11 pm »
I don't think there is anything new there, depending on the camera, e4 or e40, holding down certain
keys during booting will allow one to see the files being read and loaded as the system boots.

As I understand the only way to guarantee a  cold boot is to momentary disconnect all power, battery
and usb for a few seconds, then re-apply power.

Did I read this message wrong?

Jim
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #4784 on: April 23, 2014, 01:49:09 am »
Some may recall that FLIR told me that to upgrade from FW 1.19.8 to 1.21.0 I needed to return my E4 to them for an special upgrade. We all knew that the 'special upgrade' was unlikely to be for my benefit ! At the time it was suspected that the FLIR upgrade was in fact a change to the boot-loader or some other file set that could not be changed via a simple Firmware update. It would seem that this assumption is correct as no CRC03 is active on a 1.19.8 unit that has been upgraded to 1.22.0 without the 'special FLIR' upgrade  ;)

For those wondering..... there has not been any evidence, or even suggestion, that Firmware's later then 1.19.8 offer ANY improvement in camera performance or capability. In fact there are no known improvements since the original 1.17.x !

Also, welcome to the GCHQ watchlist!  >:D

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4785 on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:15 am »
I've just downloaded "Flir IR Camera Player"
http://www.flir.com/cs/emea/en/view/?id=52665

Works well and does what I need it to do (I'm just recoding the thermal profile of some PCBs under various current loads).
When I downloaded it says 30 day free trial, but I cant find the price anywhere and I don't want a nasty surprise because I will need this video function long term.

Has anyone used it past the 30 day trial ?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4786 on: April 23, 2014, 08:34:40 am »
Oh, I missed something.  :-// For me it was new.
You also get a cold start by long pressing power button.

Q: Can I get a full txt log of the boot process?
Yes - connect to the serial debug port.
I think I put a copy  in this thread fairly early on.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4787 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:53 pm »
I've just downloaded "Flir IR Camera Player"
http://www.flir.com/cs/emea/en/view/?id=52665

Works well and does what I need it to do (I'm just recoding the thermal profile of some PCBs under various current loads).
When I downloaded it says 30 day free trial, but I cant find the price anywhere and I don't want a nasty surprise because I will need this video function long term.

Has anyone used it past the 30 day trial ?

I have - the version I have installed seems the same at the one on that page but it never expired or even nagged me. I think that 30 day trial thing is a mistake.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4788 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:47 pm »
"30 day trial" is a mistake on the website

there is no nag screen in current version 2.3.3

see the datasheet
http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/DSW-10000_en_41.pdf

FLIR IR Camera Player
This software is a freeware.
To download, click the following link:
http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=89

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4789 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »
Thanks guys  :)

Offline Stonegate

« Reply #4790 on: April 23, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »
Guys, I’m in a bit of a pickle here. After reading on this blog about the wonders of the E4 hack and the fact that the new firmware 1.22 was OK to I jumped and got one. It arrived half an hour ago and I noticed its model E4 1.1L … can I hack this hardware model to (L)? I have no time to dig thru this whole information posted here as if I cannot I need to return it asap.
I’m a hobbyist home renovator that just got an old house, and I have reasonable capability to follow instructions ? …
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #4791 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:07 pm »
Guys, I’m in a bit of a pickle here. After reading on this blog about the wonders of the E4 hack and the fact that the new firmware 1.22 was OK to I jumped and got one. It arrived half an hour ago and I noticed its model E4 1.1L … can I hack this hardware model to (L)? I have no time to dig thru this whole information posted here as if I cannot I need to return it asap.
I’m a hobbyist home renovator that just got an old house, and I have reasonable capability to follow instructions ? …
Thanks

You can, see this other thread which is for newbies.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=28810.0

Questions like yours are being moved to this other thread. So that this thread can remain focused on development.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Stonegate

« Reply #4792 on: April 23, 2014, 09:21:56 pm »
Thanks

You can, see this other thread which is for newbies.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=28810.0

Questions like yours are being moved to this other thread. So that this thread can remain focused on development.

Looks like It will be fine based on what I could find on the link you pointed. I’ll start reading all that was posted.
Thank you for the quick help.

Offline Stonegate

« Reply #4793 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:09 am »
Hi folks,
first of all, I want to thank you as the community for your efforts you have put into the topic. And a special THANKS to Mike, ds and Taucher being the driving force behind all this fantastic stuff. A huge tumbs up to you! :-+

As a little contribution from my side, I want to present a tool which makes the upgrade process more easy and user-friendly (not to say foolproof ;)). No more messing around with Device IDs, CRCs, SUIDs and all that stuff...
Basically, the tool allows a one-click upgrade with automated backup of modified files.

For the start I have included pre-built package files for both E4 and E8 configurations for up-/downgrade as well as Tauchers menu hack.

You can find two screenshots attached and a short introduction on my blog.

Direct download link: TIConfig.zip

If there's enough interest, I may try to clean the source code up a little bit and publish the project on SourceForge or GitHub.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers,
Marphy

I got my E4 1.1L firmware 1.22.0 few hour ago and after reading thru the recommended posts I used Marphy’s idiot proof TICconfig to apply the E8 hack and the updated menu.
All features and functions work and the mod experience was painless.

I purchased the E4 as a hobby tool for home remodeling and since I don’t monetize the use, the purchase of a useful E6 was out of question. Now I am a happy camper in a budget.  :clap:

I would like to thank all the EEV forum contributors for making this possible and Marphy for making all easy and accessible.

Thank you

Offline kanzas19

• Contributor
« Reply #4794 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:58 pm »
I have the opportunity to buy E40bx at a good price.
Its measurement range is small because only about 120 degrees Celsius.
Is it will be difficult to increase the range to 650 degrees as the E40?

@ Aurora

Many thanks for the advice. Indeed, I had broken cell in the battery. I threw the electronics of the battery pack to E4.
I bought a charger and 3 pcs 3400mAh Panasonic. One is enough for about 5 h
It's good. Thank you.

Offline Jaimslaw

• Contributor
« Reply #4795 on: April 25, 2014, 03:53:06 am »
Going on two months since i sent in via online and hard copy, all purchase related documentation to get the promotional items for the 8 E4s I bought for my home inspection company.  3  E4s were bought from listed Flir authorized sellers, 3 from Amazon, which I understood to be a qualified Flir  affiliate (not purchased from a "Amazon reseller") and two from true tech, a large distributor of equipment which i assume would be a qualified FLIR affiliate (as that term is used in the promotional rules).

Anyone else having a delay or getting any feedback.  Guess its time to make some phone calls to see if I can get a meaningful response and seocndly, if it turns out that i am SOL for some reason.

Bummer, as those spare batteries would be nice.

Offline Sensor Geek

• Contributor
« Reply #4796 on: April 29, 2014, 12:32:14 am »
Anyone know the weight of the essential components within an E4? I'd like to tear one down and use the guts on an aerial platform with limited payload capacity. To further save weight my thought would be to power the E4 from the on-board power source, not from the stock battery.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4797 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:44 am »
Anyone know the weight of the essential components within an E4? I'd like to tear one down and use the guts on an aerial platform with limited payload capacity. To further save weight my thought would be to power the E4 from the on-board power source, not from the stock battery.
Can't give a figure but you could get it pretty light - almost all the weight is the rubberised case. Ditch the LCD and you basically have a PCB, the sensor board and the shutter unit. You may want to retain some of the magnesium frame to preserve alignment etc. - not sure to what extent this may be needed for thermal stability, but if you're not too bothered by absolute accuracy it's probably not an issue.  Maybe replace it with a 3D printed sensor+lens holder.
My guess would be well under 100g

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4798 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:53 pm »
There are some videos of drones with FLIR cameras on YouTube. You could try asking the owners how they did it.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4799 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »
Long focal lens: can a newton telescope be used as an optic for a thermal imager?

A newton telescope is a very simple reflective telescope, with a parabolic (spherical sometimes)
primary mirror and a flat secondary that bends light laterally. Mirrors are shaped in glass,
and covered by a thin reflective aluminium surface. Sometimes this surface is covered by
another protective and optically transparent layer, but overall it should reflect long wavelenght
IR pretty well.

This is my hand as seen trough the telescope by the E4:

But to use the scope as a lens, I should remove the lens on the E4, is it possible to remove the
lens just unscrewing it? I didnt try yet because I'm afraid to expose the sensor to dust.

An alternative to direct sensor projection, is the "ocular projection" method, it is needed an
"ocular", that is a lens of focal lenght way shorter than telescope, in this case the camera can
be used with it's own lens mounted, just like a small photocamera put near the ocular.
The big difference is that the "ocular" must be an IR lens. I hope I can make more tests on this.
If it works, it will be relativlely easy to build a tele lens for cheap.

More to come...

Update:
I made a quick and dirty test with an ebay 50mmFL lens as "ocular" for my telescope (1m FL),
just to see if I can obtain a sort of image, total magnification will be around 20x (1000mm/50mm).

images are messy, there is a street going from low right corner of the image, to top left,
and cars passing, one in the first image and two in the second.
The camera was hand held, and the 50mm lens was about distance 50mm from E4 lens front.
Cars were about 600mt away.
The field seem to be be about 2°30', about what I was expecting.
Removing E4 lens should give much cleaner images :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:16:26 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf