Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803736 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6600 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:28 am »
I just seem to have bricked my E4 V2.3 the same way as fp
Was a reason to downgrade ? I'd think a doctored 2.3.0 has more features than earlier firmwares.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6601 on: February 06, 2015, 03:21:59 am »
I didn't downgrade, I just modified the 2.3 firmware and ended-up in the same situation. Gambling didn't pay this time but at least I will have a lot of fun trying to get it back to work :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6602 on: February 06, 2015, 08:21:10 am »
Not sure if this was posted before.
With the WEB package added, E4 becomes a web camera (though a slow refresh rate) with the following change:

\FlashBFS\system\web\inc\usermenu.inc

uncomment the line that starts with
  menuRow("Web Camera",...

Now in RNDIS mode use a browser to connect to 192.168.0.2 and use the "web camera" link in the left pane as shown in the attached screenshot. A mouse click on the picture brings up a settings screen as shown in the second screenshot, where the picture size and refresh rate can be changed.

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6603 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:28 am »
If it was an E4 how did you manage to get -40 if specification is -20 ?

I have still a non-hacked E4 2.3.0/ 1.2L , maybe the temperature range has been extended to -40C?

I'm still waiting for a answer to my 2 questions on page 441/ reply# 6613, I think the answer is simple but I don't see it... so many things to learn!

Garrett

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6604 on: February 06, 2015, 02:21:54 pm »
Yes the answer is the Python script takes care of the ftp connection. Only if it fails you will need to logon in manual mode and upload the files mentioned.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6605 on: February 06, 2015, 02:30:40 pm »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6606 on: February 06, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
2.3.0 E4 1.2L have temp range from -40 ... +280 but calibrated measure range is -20 ... +250.
Outside from this range temperatures have * before number. *-23  *258 and so on. After +280
there is  >280 and lower than -40 there is <-40.0
But in cosmos, yes, there is minimum 2.7 Kelvin or -270.45 Celsius.

Offline FredB

• Contributor
« Reply #6607 on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
And automatically and logically the avg value gets the same sign as the min or max value.  :) As I see in the pictures.

Offline Qualitek

« Reply #6608 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
I did the resolution hack on my camera, but now every time I try to change toolbar-config_Z3.xml or any xml, the camera won't boot!
why so?  am I doing something wrong?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6609 on: February 06, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
Yes. You can't touch "protected" files like applaunch.dat and those which listed in it
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\appcore.exe 1812480 3954364497
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\common_dll.dll 1224192 3691234647
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\appcore_dll.dll 708608 3352418829
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\progressapp.exe 29184 464017185
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\defaultusr.exe 5120 2332166433
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\chargeapp.exe 32768 4157672503
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\design_ui_Z3.xml 36473 748083417
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\facet_Z3.rcc 293928 3897467070
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\toolbar-config_Z3.xml 1263 2286214514

Offline Qualitek

« Reply #6610 on: February 06, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »
Thanks janekivi for your reply.
Isn't the menu hack achieved by modifying those files?
common_dll is part of that list and if am correct it's patched during reso hack!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:43:10 pm by Qualitek »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6611 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:27 pm »
For this firmware I found open window to sneak in and use custom files
and let those dummy files stay there for applaunch to check ;)

dll and conf patch are not needed for my menu. This is tested with 1.22 to 2.3.0
updated E4 lately too. So any EX (like full reso E8) can use them just like that.
But in this case they are missing some things.
(For this you need with CRC and fixed 2.3.0_menu_2014_EX_6_fix.zip)

I got camera here and lost picture like you
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg542098/#msg542098

and here I have new menu
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg543931/#msg543931
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:54:54 pm by janekivi »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6612 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:50 pm »
Sometimes I play with old conf and this noise is great with rainbow high contrast : )))
But what I found out is with new advanced menu files there is in archive edit mode
manual temperature with original conf file.

Now I have too small external lense for close view. But I'm a menu fan. For this I enabled
external optics and have now settings in Measurements parameters for IR compensation.
I don't know is this for play only or there is any practical use for this. This change temp
readings if I change parameters there

Offline fp

• Contributor
« Reply #6613 on: February 07, 2015, 08:32:24 am »
Hi,

I just seem to have bricked my E4 V2.3 the same way as fp |O. Was it ever unbricked? I don't see any encouraging news in the messages I read.

Well, the short answer is "no".

The long answer, for those who still remember, is that I returned the camera and got a refund, which I then used to purchase a new one (the first dealer was out of stock), even managing to find an older firmware unit. I kept silent at the time because who knows who is reading what in this thread...

Anyway, it's pretty amazing how fast 1.22 was broken back then, and my hat is off to the recent progress on 2.3 !!
(backporting some of that to the old, pre 1.22/1.2L firmware would be interesting, but I have no time to experiment at the moment)

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6614 on: February 07, 2015, 08:48:27 am »
Yes the answer is the Python script takes care of the ftp connection. Only if it fails you will need to logon in manual mode and upload the files mentioned

Thanks bud, I'm still playing and learning with several of many the CMD commands, when I convinced myself with the use of CMD I will do the E4 upgrade.
Garrett

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #6615 on: February 07, 2015, 03:21:21 pm »
I think i need some help here.

I got a 1.22 E4 and upgraded using the 1 step tool provided from this forum

while I was able to upgrade to E8, i was unable to get the custom menu.

I saw a blog that mentioned about cutting paper inserts and fitting ZnGe lenses and his screenshots has a high and low temperatures within the box and mine didn't

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6616 on: February 08, 2015, 12:05:14 am »

I saw a blog that mentioned about cutting paper inserts and fitting ZnGe lenses and his screenshots has a high and low temperatures within the box and mine didn't

I was never a fan of that 1 click tool as I had problems with it, luckily I was able to figure it out. I would suggest doing the hack the traditional route.

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #6617 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:50 am »

[img]http://www.robotroom.com/IRTest/Flir/Aluminum-can-without-macro-lens-infrared.jpg[/i mg]
I was never a fan of that 1 click tool as I had problems with it, luckily I was able to figure it out. I would suggest doing the hack the traditional route.

Thanks but will I encounter any problems if I manually upgrade the menu options even though the e4 has been upgraded to e8 or after 1 step upgrade??

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6618 on: February 08, 2015, 02:24:15 pm »
This is the serial port debug output on my 2.3 bricked E4 (there's a few bad characters in there). I haven't been able to get any feedback from sending characters to debug or console so I guess input is disabled or waiting for a special sequence.

?C!ootloader 16.7L for ASCO (Apr 28 2014 08:52:39)
PMIC wake up: R5=40h E_SEQ_RDY  R6=1h E_nONKEY
PMIC status:  R1=50h VBUS_SEL VBUS_DET  R2=a1h COMP_DET GP_FB2 CHG_ATT
Fuel gauge check: res=1, voltage=4102
?Uset reason (0x00000000): Power ON
?R)=i Valid image length is [0xaa7f58]
?CUnsecure OS image detected

Press [ENTER] to force OS/FS image update (MSD) or [SPACE] to cancel.

Initiating image update in 1?seconds. ?
Launching flash image  ...
+InitSpecifiedEthDevice
INFO: Trying to initialize the built-in USB/MSD...
MSD:: initialization
?STi USB initialization completed
?UT(
Qtach: High speed
?UT(
Qtach: High speed
?UT(PMIC setting limit to 500 mA (res = 1)
?]supported command 0xa1
unsupported command 0x88
unsupported command 0xa1
?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6619 on: February 08, 2015, 06:08:04 pm »
If you have "FLIR Install 2" open and refresh it after pressing enter on "Press [ENTER] to force OS/FS image update (MSD) or [SPACE] to cancel." does it see the camera?
(one can hope it could be that easy)

Offline coolelectrictools

« Reply #6620 on: February 08, 2015, 07:30:25 pm »
pretty sure i'm going to be buying a e4 really soon pretty interesting you can upgrade it

i've read back about 100 pages or so

how easy or hard is it to do these upgrades with basic computers skills?

what could i research to make the upgrades easier{better understand what needs to be done} because the last thing i want to do is brick a new e4?

how far back do i need to read buying a new e4 the firmware is different on the newer ones right? Is there just the resolution and menu upgrades or is it more?

sorry for the questions they have probably been answered before

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6621 on: February 08, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
I will try a bit more but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I should point-out that the debug log is now encoded. At first it seemed I had the wrong RS232 settings but eventually figured-out the translation to get something readable. So maybe the port input is disabled as well as encoded if/when enabled.

If you have "FLIR Install 2" open and refresh it after pressing enter on "Press [ENTER] to force OS/FS image update (MSD) or [SPACE] to cancel." does it see the camera?
(one can hope it could be that easy)

Offline clubmkred1

« Reply #6622 on: February 08, 2015, 11:31:08 pm »
I am a brand newbie here and I just have some questions...

Here is the short of it. I am a homeowner / DIY'er who just purchased a FLIR E4 for my own personal use to find and seal air leaks in my home. I am astounded at the things that I have found in the first week of "playing". I have been reading this blog until my eyes have popped out of my head. At first I thought I had a good handle on things being said here, but now I have become a little confused with the conversation.

I am just interested in doing the resolution hack on my imager. I am not interested (at this time) in any of the menu hacks, unless it limits the camera's ability to work correctly. Is the basic resolution hack that Gemrough posted in thread #6488 still the proper set of instructions for my E4 1.2L ver. 2.3.0?

I have read a lot of new stuff which I believe is geared towards the menu hacks... I just need the basics.

Thanks for any help that is offered. And great job to all that have put a huge amount of time into this. It is pretty cool.

Offline coolelectrictools

« Reply #6623 on: February 09, 2015, 12:19:39 am »
I am a brand newbie here and I just have some questions...

Here is the short of it. I am a homeowner / DIY'er who just purchased a FLIR E4 for my own personal use to find and seal air leaks in my home. I am astounded at the things that I have found in the first week of "playing". I have been reading this blog until my eyes have popped out of my head. At first I thought I had a good handle on things being said here, but now I have become a little confused with the conversation.

I am just interested in doing the resolution hack on my imager. I am not interested (at this time) in any of the menu hacks, unless it limits the camera's ability to work correctly. Is the basic resolution hack that Gemrough posted in thread #6488 still the proper set of instructions for my E4 1.2L ver. 2.3.0?

I have read a lot of new stuff which I believe is geared towards the menu hacks... I just need the basics.

Thanks for any help that is offered. And great job to all that have put a huge amount of time into this. It is pretty cool.

i'm kind in the same position i'll have one in about a week figured i play with it a few weeks before temping to upgrade it. I've read a ton of pages on this topic and like you I'm interested in just the resolution for now. but wondering how difficult this will be.

now does the menu and resolution upgrades make it an E8?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6624 on: February 09, 2015, 01:26:11 am »
I will try a bit more but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I should point-out that the debug log is now encoded. At first it seemed I had the wrong RS232 settings but eventually figured-out the translation to get something readable. So maybe the port input is disabled as well as encoded if/when enabled.

Does space vs enter do anything different when it prompts?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf