Author Topic: Uni-t UTi260B  (Read 115350 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Uni-t UTi260B
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2023, 01:24:25 pm »
Indeed, I concur with your thoughts on this.

The decoupling capacitor is needed because of the FPC cable length. Good practice is to decouple the supply rail near to the sensor when an umbilical/FPC is in use. That said, this is usually to ensure sensor stability and complete failure when the capacitor is not present would be unusual. I can easily fit a suitable new capacitor though.

I have load tested the 2V8 supply line that powers the GC0308 core and the output is accurate and without significant noise, so the switching converter survived the heavier load. I also checked the 3V3 supply to that 2V8 converter as that also suffered increased loading. All is fine there as well.

There remains the possibility that the original GC0308 remained working, despite the 16 Ohm load across its power rails and so the failed capacitor may not be the root cause of the UTi690B cameras failure to boot. The MLCC did not fail short circuit. This would explain why a replacement GC0308 module did not solve the problem. This is very much conjecture on my part though. The failure of the MLCC would not normally cause a failure in the I2C circuits of the GC0308 FPC.

I really need to create a test jig for the GC0308 camera but spare time is in very limited supply at the moment. I have investigated sourcing other GC0308 camera modules and it is surprisingly hard as many Aliexpress China suppliers will not ship to the UK. I am continuing my search though.

With regard to these GC0308 modules with 24 pin DV “Goldfinger” connectors, I was under the impression that they were interchangeable as the pinout for the modules was standardised at the 24 pin connector. Other camera module types do differ but the GC0308 versions appear to use the same pinout. Hence why sellers rarely show the pin outs for their GC0308 modules. This does make me question whether the failed MLCC is a “Red Herring” and a secondary fault. That said, I agree that it’s failure may have lead to a problem elsewhere on the UTi690B camera.

I am not giving up on this patient but I have entered a very busy work period during July so my time to investigate is limited for a while. As it is, I have had to dip in and out of this investigation in June due to unexpected events. I never like to walk away from a patient unless I can confirm a terminal situation that I cannot repair. The investigation will continue and my sincere thanks to those who have commented on the situation with this camera  :-+

Fraser

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 01:28:33 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, siamak

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2023, 05:32:46 pm »
I just took a short cut to testing the GC0308 modules for correct functionality……. “The ESP32 CAM” wireless camera experimentation module  :-+ It costs only £11 from Amazon with next day delivery and includes a camera module and the USB programming PCB. A neat little package that will be perfect for my camera module tests. The supplied camera is sadly not the GC0308 but the ESP32 CAM does support the GC0308, so no worries.

https://www.arducam.com/esp32-machine-vision-learning-guide/

Now I will not be working in the dark with regard to whether the original and replacement GC0308 are working and compatible  :-+

Sometimes you have to invest in additional test equipment to aid diagnostics. I cannot say I have needed to test these camera modules before but I am sure the ESP32 CAM will be worth the investment  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:05:11 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2023, 11:12:48 pm »
I managed to source an exact replacement for the HDF0308 (GC0308 FPA) used in the UTi690B, which is good news. It will not arrive until around 24 July, but at least I will have it if needed.

I bought the camera core from here…….

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32842107917.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:03:45 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2023, 11:38:26 am »
Just an update on my patient.

No joy getting the original GC0308 to work so it looks to be dead.
I am currently awaiting the arrival of the exact replacement GC0308 imaging cores from China. I ordered from two different sellers on Aliexpress. ETA : late July. More updates will follow after the parts arrive.

Fraser

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2023, 11:58:56 am »
Get well soon, GC0308
iratus parum formica

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2023, 12:17:19 pm »
 ;D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2023, 06:07:05 pm »
I think the DP-15 from Shenzhen Dianyang Technology Co. would be somewhat more comparable with the Uni-T UTi260B discussed in this thread, than their HF2B mobile camera. Also, I much perfer not to having to install extra applications to my cellphone to use the camera. A standalone ruggedized handheld like this UTi260B is much perferred in my case, especially with the available macro lens accessory for close-up inspections of laptop boards.

user: @Dianyang  usually posts about Dianyang Tech's Products on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 06:17:07 pm by Algoma »

Offline siamak

« Reply #257 on: July 15, 2023, 12:08:58 pm »
I'm using UTi260B for three days and i could not get images open in the software (Thermal Analyzer-K) and thus i can't analyze the pictures i took  :(

I was able to copy those files from camrea to hard disk, the live from camera (UTi-Live Screen) is working fine. They are saved in .bmp format and with each IR image, it took a camera picture in .jpeg to compare and better understanding of the position etc...

Is there a free program for working with IR images regardless of the brand?

Any help by you great guys would be appreciated, and pardon me for English is not my first language. ^-^

EDIT: Or maybe there is a way to make the software read from the hard disk and work on them?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 12:12:05 pm by siamak »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2023, 08:22:47 pm »
Minor update on the poorly UTi-690B repair…

The replacement GC0308 cameras arrived from China today……. I immediately noticed that they have sent the wrong edge connector orientation. The correct orientation was shown in the Aliexpress pictures….. not happy  :rant:

Fortunately I also ordered another camera module from a different seller and hopefully that will have the correct edge connector orientation. Fingers crossed. It should arrive in a week or so.

These GC0308 cameras are so inexpensive but also hard to source for me in the UK. Somewhat frustrating  :(

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 08:36:17 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2023, 03:18:57 pm »
The postal Gods were kind to me and the "back-up" GC-0308 camera module arrived this morning  :-+ I thought Customs clearance would delay things, but not this time.

I have spent much of today working on the UTi-690B in a determined effort to repair it. I installed the new GC-0308 camera core, booted the UTi-690 and........ no change  :( The camera still halted at the 100% boot point. A check on the boot log showed no change from when the original GC-0308 was installed. I tested all of the replacement GC-0308 cameras on my ESP32-CAM module and all worked as expected. The original GC-0308 module is known to be faulty but I tested it again to make sure, and it is non responsive.

Whilst the UTi-690B complains about the lack of response from its GC-0308 camera core, I have now tried 3 different GC-0308 camera cores in it and none change the symptoms. As all are proven working, it would suggest that the problem is not the camera core. The original GC-0308 core did have a failed MLCC across is power rails that was drawing excess current, but the core was found to also be faulty after investigation. I have investigated possible causes of failure, such as a fault in its dedicated power supply IC and went so far as to stress test that IC to eliminate it from enquiries. It appears to be operating correctly with no transients or noise at its output to harm the GC-0308. The cause of the original GC-0308 failure is not known but it is possible that the MLCC failure has nothing to do with the camera failure and it is just coincidence.

With the GC-0308 camera module hardware eliminated from the investigation I have had to look at the data side of things. Could UNI-T have used a custom GC-0308 camera core in their product that the firmware needs to identify ? I very much doubt that as this is a building block component with no reason to make it unique in any way. All power and data lines associated with the core have been tested yet the GC-0308 is not working in the UTi-690B chassis.

I have done my best to identify any issues with the Linux firmware but found nothing unusual that could be causing this fault. I came to the conclusion that I am likely dealing with either some exotic firmware corruption or a failure in the SoC hardware. File substitution in the Firmware from a known good copy did not remove the fault so that leaves the SoC as a prime suspect and there is nothing I can do to repair that.

After spending a fair few hours on this camera I think it is time to declare this patient deceased. I shall advise the owner accordingly :(

Sady you cannot win them all and these budget cameras are virtually "disposable" technology now.

I learnt a lot about the UTi260B/Uti690B during this investigation and I may create a separate repair thread dedicated to the various stages of the investigation and findings. If you own one of these and it stops working, do check the GC-0308 camera module current draw, in case the MLCC has failed, but be warned that there may be a deeper failure that is uneconomic to repair by a tech.

Fraser 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 03:56:07 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Tugo, Slartibartfast123, ausdim

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2023, 05:48:34 pm »
I have a UTi690B that I (stupidly?) attempted to update the firmware, just to have the latest. Yeah, I'm one of those that defy the common sense to only update firmware when you have an issue. My argument has always been that fw updates are made to fix bugs and improve features/performance, so even if I haven't run into those yet, I want to stay ahead of it. In nearly 40 years of updating fw (and also writing fw) on various devices, I've had very few bricked outcomes that I couldn't recover from fairly easily (like, maybe 2 or 3 at most).

Well, I got the latest firmware from a YouTuber along with detailed instructions on applying the firmware that he received from Banggood. I followed the directions, update went ok per the device UI, which then prompted me to restart. Now I'm stuck at 100% on the Loading screen (which replaced the UNI-T logo splash screen).

I'm having a support email conversation back and forth with Banggood, asking for (but not expecting) a recovery procedure that doesn't require getting fully booted. They first sent me the exact same fw package and instructions I got from the YTer (which at least validated his source, as first thing I did was do a binary compare of the two packages). After that they asked for a video demonstrating the problem. Now they've given me something else to try this morning that I'll attempt when I get home, but I'm not optimistic. Side note: I'm pleasantly surprised at how Banggood is trying to help here. I've purchased a lot from them over the years, but never attempted to get any kind of technical support out of them. I just don't know how much they can help with this, despite their efforts. They're very apologetic and seem keen to help, but as I've had this camera for almost 2 years now, I don't expect any sort of warranty repair/return from them even if it is a Banggood-exclusive model.

My next step is to open it up and try to hook up the UART to check logs, copy files, or whatever might be helpful. My issue seems to be entirely fw related and not a hardware issue, as it was working prior to the update attempt.

Anything more specific or targeted other than just flailing around in the OS assuming I get the UART connected and talking?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:50:23 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline Silicium81

• Regular Contributor
    • Technical forum
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2023, 05:56:43 pm »
The postal Gods were kind to me and the "back-up" GC-0308 camera module arrived this morning  :-+ I thought Customs clearance would delay things, but not this time.

I have spent much of today working on the UTi-690B in a determined effort to repair it. I installed the new GC-0308 camera core, booted the UTi-690 and........ no change  :( The camera still halted at the 100% boot point. A check on the boot log showed no change from when the original GC-0308 was installed. I tested all of the replacement GC-0308 cameras on my ESP32-CAM module and all worked as expected. The original GC-0308 module is known to be faulty but I tested it again to make sure, and it is non responsive.

Whilst the UTi-690B complains about the lack of response from its GC-0308 camera core, I have now tried 3 different GC-0308 camera cores in it and none change the symptoms. As all are proven working, it would suggest that the problem is not the camera core. The original GC-0308 core did have a failed MLCC across is power rails that was drawing excess current, but the core was found to also be faulty after investigation. I have investigated possible causes of failure, such as a fault in its dedicated power supply IC and went so far as to stress test that IC to eliminate it from enquiries. It appears to be operating correctly with no transients or noise at its output to harm the GC-0308. The cause of the original GC-0308 failure is not known but it is possible that the MLCC failure has nothing to do with the camera failure and it is just coincidence.

With the GC-0308 camera module hardware eliminated from the investigation I have had to look at the data side of things. Could UNI-T have used a custom GC-0308 camera core in their product that the firmware needs to identify ? I very much doubt that as this is a building block component with no reason to make it unique in any way. All power and data lines associated with the core have been tested yet the GC-0308 is not working in the UTi-690B chassis.

I have done my best to identify any issues with the Linux firmware but found nothing unusual that could be causing this fault. I came to the conclusion that I am likely dealing with either some exotic firmware corruption or a failure in the SoC hardware. File substitution in the Firmware from a known good copy did not remove the fault so that leaves the SoC as a prime suspect and there is nothing I can do to repair that.

After spending a fair few hours on this camera I think it is time to declare this patient deceased. I shall advise the owner accordingly :(

Sady you cannot win them all and these budget cameras are virtually "disposable" technology now.

I learnt a lot about the UTi260B/Uti690B during this investigation and I may create a separate repair thread dedicated to the various stages of the investigation and findings. If you own one of these and it stops working, do check the GC-0308 camera module current draw, in case the MLCC has failed, but be warned that there may be a deeper failure that is uneconomic to repair by a tech.

Fraser

I asked banggood if there was a firmware to solve a blocking problem (which I don't encounter...) on my UTi-690b camera, they gave me the files that I put as an attachment, maybe you can try these on the blocked camera?
Note, I will not be testing these files on my working camera !

https://www.cjoint.com/c/MGtr3PmtYaj
Electronic engineer with a passion for mechanics
https://vae-tech.forumactif.org/

The following users thanked this post: Sercan

Offline ausdim

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2023, 06:05:57 pm »
I have a UTi690B that I (stupidly?) attempted to update the firmware, just to have the latest. Yeah, I'm one of those that defy the common sense to only update firmware when you have an issue. My argument has always been that fw updates are made to fix bugs and improve features/performance, so even if I haven't run into those yet, I want to stay ahead of it. In nearly 40 years of updating fw (and also writing fw) on various devices, I've had very few bricked outcomes that I couldn't recover from fairly easily (like, maybe 2 or 3 at most).

Well, I got the latest firmware from a YouTuber along with detailed instructions on applying the firmware that he received from Banggood. I followed the directions, update went ok per the device UI, which then prompted me to restart. Now I'm stuck at 100% on the Loading screen (which replaced the UNI-T logo splash screen).

I'm having a support email conversation back and forth with Banggood, asking for (but not expecting) a recovery procedure that doesn't require getting fully booted. They first sent me the exact same fw package and instructions I got from the YTer (which at least validated his source, as first thing I did was do a binary compare of the two packages). After that they asked for a video demonstrating the problem. Now they've given me something else to try this morning that I'll attempt when I get home, but I'm not optimistic. Side note: I'm pleasantly surprised at how Banggood is trying to help here. I've purchased a lot from them over the years, but never attempted to get any kind of technical support out of them. I just don't know how much they can help with this, despite their efforts. They're very apologetic and seem keen to help, but as I've had this camera for almost 2 years now, I don't expect any sort of warranty repair/return from them even if it is a Banggood-exclusive model.

My next step is to open it up and try to hook up the UART to check logs, copy files, or whatever might be helpful. My issue seems to be entirely fw related and not a hardware issue, as it was working prior to the update attempt.

Anything more specific or targeted other than just flailing around in the OS assuming I get the UART connected and talking?

I was exactly on the same boat with you..

Yt user send me the file 2.0.22 flash it, update change my uni-t logo with loading like you and booomm stuck at 100%.

After see there is nothing that I can do I open the device and use uart communication to copy my old UTi260B_Thermal 1.2.28 to root and voila device come back to life again.

What firmware device had before upgrade attempt?

But at least don’t worry device is ok and nothing burnt down … ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:20:32 pm by ausdim »

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2023, 08:15:50 pm »
I asked banggood if there was a firmware to solve a blocking problem (which I don't encounter...) on my UTi-690b camera, they gave me the files that I put as an attachment, maybe you can try these on the blocked camera?
Note, I will not be testing these files on my working camera !

https://www.cjoint.com/c/MGtr3PmtYaj

Yeah those look like the exact 2023-02-23 update I got from both the YouTuber and Banggood directly, minus the Word doc instructions they also included.

After see there is nothing that I can do I open the device and use uart communication to copy my old UTi260B_Thermal 1.2.28 to root and voila device come back to life again.

What firmware device had before upgrade attempt?

But at least don’t worry device is ok and nothing burnt down … ;)

Thanks, that's a relief then. Unfortunately I looked at but didn't write down the exact version or backup my firmware first (I wasn't aware of the fw backup process until I came here looking for solutions AFTER I bricked it).  :palm:  I want to say mine might have been something like 1.2.32 but I can't swear to it. I did download someone's stock fw backup that was posted in the backup thread though, so if I can get the UART to work then I'll try that.

The upgrade process did, thankfully, save my calibration data to a file on the SD Card, which I have since backed up. I assume if I apply someone else's firmware image, I'll have to restore this calibration file. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:17:45 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline ausdim

• Contributor
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2023, 10:09:22 pm »
Quote from: Veteran68
Thanks, that's a relief then. Unfortunately I looked at but didn't write down the exact version or backup my firmware first (I wasn't aware of the fw backup process until I came here looking for solutions AFTER I bricked it).  :palm:  I want to say mine might have been something like 1.2.32 but I can't swear to it. I did download someone's stock fw backup that was posted in the backup thread though, so if I can get the UART to work then I'll try that.

The upgrade process did, thankfully, save my calibration data to a file on the SD Card, which I have since backed up. I assume if I apply someone else's firmware image, I'll have to restore this calibration file. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

My firmware is 1.2.28 and I can’t find any newer of series “1.” Anything from series “2.” It will not work, at least two of them that I try 2.0.20 and 2.0.22 that’s why I create that simple script in the backup thread you mention, to collect some firmwares here so we make a database since we cannot find nothing on the net.

Any way if you want my firmware I will pass it to you.

I changed only UTi260B_Thermal and device is normal again no any calibration data since I get the same as old, every time you run upgrade menu that .ini file is written to your as card.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 10:32:16 pm by ausdim »

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2023, 11:22:18 pm »

My firmware is 1.2.28 and I can’t find any newer of series “1.” Anything from series “2.” It will not work, at least two of them that I try 2.0.20 and 2.0.22 that’s why I create that simple script in the backup thread you mention, to collect some firmwares here so we make a database since we cannot find nothing on the net.

I changed only UTi260B_Thermal and device is normal again no any calibration data since I get the same as old, every time you run upgrade menu that .ini file is written to your as card.
Are we sure the 690B and 260B have the same firmware version numbers? Why would Banggood be providing people this version for 690B devices without asking what version you have to start with? There would typically be a warning in the instructions they provide to check current firmware version. I will reply back to them that I'm hearing that v1 firmware cannot be upgraded with v2 firmware and see what they say.

Let me go through the backup thread and check the versions that I've downloaded, then try to get the UART connection going.

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2023, 08:28:20 am »

SMD marking 01AH most likely means IRLML6402TRPbF MOSFET P-Ch -3.7A 65mOhm 8nC Log Lvl.

I have searched the internet to find (and buy) this mosfet, but i can find p-type and also n-type mosfets with the same name. I am confused...
Can you please share the link to the exact item you bought?
I have contacted Uni-T, but they did not offer any information, or schematics, or diagram at all.
Thank you  very much!

Offline ausdim

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2023, 03:21:20 pm »

Are we sure the 690B and 260B have the same firmware version numbers? Why would Banggood be providing people this version for 690B devices without asking what version you have to start with? There would typically be a warning in the instructions they provide to check current firmware version. I will reply back to them that I'm hearing that v1 firmware cannot be upgraded with v2 firmware and see what they say.

Let me go through the backup thread and check the versions that I've downloaded, then try to get the UART connection going.

My camera is not from Banggood but from local supplier that is uni-t official reseller.

I try one firmware comes from Banggood for a user with 690b with version number 2.0.2.22 and got boot problem (100%) stuck.

Try second one after use uart to recover my device, from a user here that is comes from 260b that he bought from Banggood also with firmware 2.0.20 with the same result.

Thanks

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2023, 08:13:40 pm »
My camera is not from Banggood but from local supplier that is uni-t official reseller.

I try one firmware comes from Banggood for a user with 690b with version number 2.0.2.22 and got boot problem (100%) stuck.

Try second one after use uart to recover my device, from a user here that is comes from 260b that he bought from Banggood also with firmware 2.0.20 with the same result.

Thanks

You have the UTi260B I take it? My understanding is the UTi690B, while identical, is an exclusive Banggood model and shouldn't be sold anywhere else (unless being re-sold). The firmware files for both are named the same (i.e. UTi260B_Thermal) but the UTi690B firmware actually contains its own model number rather than UTi260B for display on the Device Info screen. So while the firmware between the two may be functionally the same and work with each other, they do each have their own unique firmware image. So I'd prefer to restore a 690B firmware to my 690B, rather than a 260B's firmware.

Banggood got back to me after I let them know that I'm hearing that the V2.x firmware they're sending out may be bricking other users like this with devices shipped with V1.x firmware. They said they're reaching out to the manufacturer on this and will let me know. Again, kudos to Banggood for providing a level of technical support I did not expect, but I guess they have to if they're going to sell exclusive models not openly supported by Uni-T directly.

In the meantime, last night I got the device disassembled (could they make that any harder to figure out? If I hadn't watched a YT video of a teardown I don't know that I'd have ever figured out where the screws were hiding). Tonight I plan to solder in a header and use a USB to TTL converter to try and read it. Hopefully I don't break it any further. Which would suck if Banggood/Uni-T actually came back with a simple recovery process, but I'm not at all confident they will.

Offline Silicium81

• Regular Contributor
    • Technical forum
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2023, 09:31:54 am »

Thanks

You have the UTi260B I take it? My understanding is the UTi690B, while identical, is an exclusive Banggood model and shouldn't be sold anywhere else (unless being re-sold). The firmware files for both are named the same (i.e. UTi260B_Thermal) but the UTi690B firmware actually contains its own model number rather than UTi260B for display on the Device Info screen. So while the firmware between the two may be functionally the same and work with each other, they do each have their own unique firmware image. So I'd prefer to restore a 690B firmware to my 690B, rather than a 260B's firmware.

Banggood got back to me after I let them know that I'm hearing that the V2.x firmware they're sending out may be bricking other users like this with devices shipped with V1.x firmware. They said they're reaching out to the manufacturer on this and will let me know. Again, kudos to Banggood for providing a level of technical support I did not expect, but I guess they have to if they're going to sell exclusive models not openly supported by Uni-T directly.

In the meantime, last night I got the device disassembled (could they make that any harder to figure out? If I hadn't watched a YT video of a teardown I don't know that I'd have ever figured out where the screws were hiding). Tonight I plan to solder in a header and use a USB to TTL converter to try and read it. Hopefully I don't break it any further. Which would suck if Banggood/Uni-T actually came back with a simple recovery process, but I'm not at all confident they will.

If it can be helpful, I have given my UTi-690B firmware backup here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/uti260b-uti690b-firmware-backup-script/msg4967098/#msg4967098
Electronic engineer with a passion for mechanics
https://vae-tech.forumactif.org/

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2023, 01:13:13 pm »
If it can be helpful, I have given my UTi-690B firmware backup here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/uti260b-uti690b-firmware-backup-script/msg4967098/#msg4967098

Thanks, I had already grabbed yours along with the other firmware backups and images I've run across.

Didn't get a chance last night to do the UART work to get into the meter. Will post an update on my progress when I can.

Offline Slartibartfast123

« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2023, 10:18:58 am »

SMD marking 01AH most likely means IRLML6402TRPbF MOSFET P-Ch -3.7A 65mOhm 8nC Log Lvl.

I have searched the internet to find (and buy) this mosfet, but i can find p-type and also n-type mosfets with the same name. I am confused...
Can you please share the link to the exact item you bought?
I have contacted Uni-T, but they did not offer any information, or schematics, or diagram at all.
Thank you  very much!
That was meant for the ones who managed to damage their device (SMD marking 01AH) with a fast charger (> 4.0 amps).

The aformentioned  IRLML6402TRPbF is available almost everywhere:

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/IRLML6402TRPBF?qs=9%252BKlkBgLFf0HuZuONx2Ewg%3D%3D

https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/infineon-technologies/IRLML6402TRPBF/811437

https://de.farnell.com/infineon/irlml6402trpbf/mosfet-p-kanal-20v-3-7a-sot-23/dp/9103503

Offline Slartibartfast123

« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2023, 10:27:25 am »

Fraser
Thanks for the effort. Terrific job, Fraser. Interesting to know.
So, after all more or less two possible reasons for the further failure?

1. Spare GC0308 not compatible

Of course, could be proved by exchanging the original GC0308 of a working device with a bought GC0308. Should be done in the future somehow. Interesting also would be a bootlog file of a working device.

2. Colleteral damage

I doubt that there was another different damage at the same time. But it could be that the failed visual light camera damaged something else like the corresponding I2C or the cable.

My bet would be right now that uni-t used a proprietary or special GC0308. There are so many variants available.

Everything would be easier with access to the firmware. For example by simply disabling the visual light camera in the firmware the thermal camera would be still usable.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2023, 12:14:49 pm »
Hi Slartibartfast123,

I agree. I remain uncertain why the replacement GC0308 cameras do not work in the UTi690B, yet all work fine in the ESP32-CAM module when configured for GC0308. I even went to the effort to buy a Camera module that had the same part ID as the original. I expected a good result when that arrived. Sadly it was not to be. For a budget thermal camera there has to be a point at which you declare the patient deceased and I reached that point this week. I once spent 3 months of evenings completely reverse engineering a FLIR PM570 camera in order to repair it. That camera was worth £36K though and it was back when affordable thermal cameras were not available. At around $300 these modern budget thermal cameras need to be a quick fix in order to be a commercially viable repair. I fear that once the warranty is expired, most will be beyond economic repair unless the owner does the repair themselves.

I may revisit this camera at a time when I do not have so many other commitments but, for now, I have had to park it on the Spares & Repair shelf.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 02:01:45 pm by Fraser »

Offline Brexei

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:47 am »
I regret to announce that there is zero technical support from UNI-T!  >:(

I have contacted the central department and they pointed me to the European representative. But even then, no help from anybody.
They cannot disclose any information about the components used, or offer any technical support on what to check or measure. Not even inform me what kind of mosfets are used on the power supply board!

I will buy the IRLML6402TRPbF and try to fix it. I will report back when it arrives...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf