Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2055949 times)

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #675 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:13 am »
Received mine today from Emona. All options installed except 500uV thanks to Riglol :-+

Drivers and software works fine for me (on Win7 64bit). Bloated maybe, but work flawlessly.

Offline xnaron

• Contributor
« Reply #676 on: November 14, 2014, 03:47:52 pm »
Jitter problems!  Hopefully these problems can be fixed in firmware.  Might want to hold off on buying these scopes until we find out if this is a hardware or firmware issue. Too late for me though :(

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:57:38 pm by xnaron »

Offline MadDog

• Contributor
« Reply #677 on: November 14, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »
I have checked my MSO1104Z: Problems with DC Coupling and heavy problems witch AC Coupling.
Fortunately I'm still within the 30 days money back guarantee. So I'll send this thing back.
I don't trust that I'll get a fix by a chinese company. If they solve the problem I can buy a new one.

Offline xnaron

• Contributor
« Reply #678 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »
I have checked my MSO1104Z: Problems with DC Coupling and heavy problems witch AC Coupling.
Fortunately I'm still within the 30 days money back guarantee. So I'll send this thing back.
I don't trust that I'll get a fix by a chinese company. If they solve the problem I can buy a new one.

Good plan  I think the others who bought here might want to do the same.  That will send a clear message to Rigol to fix it.

Offline MadDog

• Contributor
« Reply #679 on: November 14, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »
Yes, I can live with the problem with DC Coupling, but the behavior with AC Coupling is horrible.

Offline xnaron

• Contributor
« Reply #680 on: November 14, 2014, 04:45:28 pm »
I knew I shouldn't have used the shipping box for my 1054z to ship out the 1052e I sold on ebay :(  Hopefully they can fix the issue with firmware.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #681 on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »
Ok, TEquipment, you watch this thread.  What is your and Rigol's response on the jitter issues?

I've learned long ago, especially on test gear, that what you see right now is what you're buying.  Never buy anything with bugs you know you can't live with.

If it can't be addressed within your return window I'll be returning my scope, or canceling my order if it hasn't shipped yet.

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #682 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:55 pm »
The AC coupling jitter seems to be quite the serious issue.
I really wonder, how nobody noticed this scince the scopes release, considering how friggin popular the scope accually is. Expecially considering that the DS2000 series shows the same issues.
P.S. Do the problems only manifest starting some freqeuncy? Checked with a 10kHz sqare wave  and AC coupling seemed to be working fine. Couldn't really go further than that given that my signal gen (crap 20$ ebay stuff) seemed to introduce a boatload of jitter itself (atleast that's what I was lead to belive by the scopes DC coupling mode).

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #683 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »
Hello!  Like everyone I saw the video today that Dave posted on the scopes. Rigol is looking into the issue right now and will have an update as soon as they investigate.  This issue will get attention.  Rigol is an excellent company to work with and will post an update shortly.
Thanks
Evan
TEquipment.NET

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #684 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »
Hello!  Like everyone I saw the video today that Dave posted on the scopes. Rigol is looking into the issue right now and will have an update as soon as they investigate.  This issue will get attention.  Rigol is an excellent company to work with and will post an update shortly.
Thanks
Evan
TEquipment.NET

Thanks for posting this here and await the feedback :)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #685 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »
I really wonder, how nobody noticed this scince the scopes release, considering how friggin popular the scope accually is. Expecially considering that the DS2000 series shows the same issues.
I rarely use AC coupling but I had in the past using my DS2072

Here is on a pulse trigger

And here on an edge trigger

Granted, they are only 15KHz vertical sync but I could zoom in to particular horizontal lines at 5us divisions:

Then again I haven't upgraded my firmware for almost a year. (i.e. no CAN bus decoding)

I'll try to run some tests later on at home. But I didn't find any jitter on either AC or DC coupling.

Here it was at 10ns DC coupling edge trigger 24.15 MHz signal.

I wonder if the problem was introduced later or I was just lucky to never have found the jitter since I have my scope (about 10 months I believe)

Edit: but those AC frames are stopped captures but I "think" I did look at them free running as well and no jitter but I will have to try again to make sure.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:30:09 pm by miguelvp »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #686 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:46 pm »

Quote from: tequipment on Today at 04:17:32 PM
Rigol is an excellent company to work with and will post an update shortly.

First time I've ever heard this.  Rigol has been completely ignoring the 4000 series issues.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:26 pm »

I rarely use AC coupling but I had in the past using my DS2072

You pictures show AC vertical coupling but the problem is with AC trigger coupling which confusingly the Rigols do not display.

I wonder if the problem was introduced later or I was just lucky to never have found the jitter since I have my scope (about 10 months I believe)

The jitter the other oscilloscopes are showing is in the nanosecond to 10s of nanosecond range which is significant enough to be a real problem but not something which would be seen at slower time/div settings; at 5us/div it should not be visible.

Offline hak8orr

• Contributor
« Reply #688 on: November 14, 2014, 08:37:16 pm »
Just got my scope in less than 24 hours from when it was shipped from teq, I am nothing short of thrilled! A friend bought a Siglent scope at the same time as me and just got his yesterday (though his shipped out before yesterday if I recall). You guys at teq are awesome!

I didn't notice anything about the jitter yet though, but I can't test it for now untill I get my bench cleaned up.

On an unrelated note, I got my boards back from OSH! The drill registration seems alarmingly off in places though, so I will have to check it under my microscope tomorrow.

Edit: Apologies about the terribly over sized pictures. Added them as links instead of in lined images.
Edit 2: Added smaller inlined images.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:41:27 pm by hak8orr »

Offline Doridian

« Reply #689 on: November 15, 2014, 05:08:09 am »
Does anyone know how I would go about obtaining a DS1054Z in Germany? Is it available anywhere right now?
All I checked have really weird delivery times specified. Some say a week, then on request say 3. Others say more than 3 weeks...

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #690 on: November 15, 2014, 05:15:06 am »
>I'll try to run some tests later on at home. But I didn't find any jitter on either AC or DC coupling.

NOTE: This jitter issue has to do with the AC TRIGGERING, and NOT regular AC Input COUPLING.

I use AC Coupling all the time when working with audio or rf signals,  but I have never used the AC Triggering function.

I think lots of people are thinking this jitter issue has to do with the very common function of switching your input to the AC coupling mode that is very common to use, and that is incorrect.  This happens only if you use the AC Triggering feature, which personally I am not totally sure when you would even need to use.

I just wanted to make sure everyone understood the difference.  It appears that lots of people are getting the impression about this jitter that Dave was talking about, was an issue with just using AC input coupling and it is not.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:26:12 am by nixfu »

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #691 on: November 15, 2014, 06:42:12 am »
Thanks for clearing that up, now i kinda get why it wasn't noticed until now. Not sure if I would ever have a use for the AC triggering function anyway, didn't even realise the scope had such a feature.  :phew:

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #692 on: November 15, 2014, 07:28:22 am »
Does anyone know how I would go about obtaining a DS1054Z in Germany? Is it available anywhere right now?
All I checked have really weird delivery times specified. Some say a week, then on request say 3. Others say more than 3 weeks...

Tequipment is 6-7 weeks (quoted). I'm guessing that everyone placing orders will be waiting. Even so compared to 30 years ago this is nothing. I wonder what it would have cost in 1985?

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #693 on: November 15, 2014, 09:19:50 am »
>I'll try to run some tests later on at home. But I didn't find any jitter on either AC or DC coupling.

NOTE: This jitter issue has to do with the AC TRIGGERING, and NOT regular AC Input COUPLING.

I use AC Coupling all the time when working with audio or rf signals,  but I have never used the AC Triggering function.

I think lots of people are thinking this jitter issue has to do with the very common function of switching your input to the AC coupling mode that is very common to use, and that is incorrect.  This happens only if you use the AC Triggering feature, which personally I am not totally sure when you would even need to use.

I just wanted to make sure everyone understood the difference.  It appears that lots of people are getting the impression about this jitter that Dave was talking about, was an issue with just using AC input coupling and it is not.
You raise a VERY valid point. Watching the icons on the display I see it is indeed the AC Trigger mode selected from the triggering menu. I was testing mine from selecting AC coupling from the input menu. Hence no issue on my DS2702.  The menus are different on the 1000z so didn't notice this at first.

Never used AC triggering before. I Do use AC coupling.

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #694 on: November 15, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
Batronix would be the obvious place for you to go to, but as you said they won't be able to deliver it anytime soon. I doubt you find any shop in Germany or the EU for that matter that has these units in stock.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #695 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Batronix would be the obvious place for you to go to, but as you said they won't be able to deliver it anytime soon. I doubt you find any shop in Germany or the EU for that matter that has these units in stock.
Batronix will have some scopes on December ~8-10.

Offline Doridian

« Reply #696 on: November 16, 2014, 01:02:05 am »
Batronix will have some scopes on December ~8-10.

Damnit :( Guess I'll have to wait. Or buy a DS1074Z, but that would be quite a waste of money :/

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #697 on: November 19, 2014, 05:04:40 am »
Mine arrived today. Impressive packaging, the UPS gorilla couldn't hurt this. Initial turn-on found all the options were enabled for 36 hours?? Didn't know about that. Calibration date in China was 11/01/2014 per warranty sheet. A very solid feeling piece of equipment.

As I work mainly with RF I was wondering about the bandwidth available.I set up my signal generator to -40dBm and started at 10 MHz. Scope showed RMS level of 47mv. 50 MHz dropped to 39.1mv. 100 MHz down to 29.5mv. So I stretched it out to 400 MHz, down to 5mv. Not a large signal but visible and actually could be usable. The freq counter quit abt 100 MHz. All measurement were taken without changing any settings.

Now I have to start looking for a printed manual, it comes with a quick start guide which is basically useless since what it covers is all intuitive if you've ever used a scope. Plus the front half is in chinese. It's when you start getting into the menus my trouble started. A flow chart would be very nice. Since I deal with RF using an analog scope a lot of the items are greek to me. Maneuvering around in the menus is an exercise in getting lost, at least for me. "Now just where did I see that option to set the probe divide by ratio???" I've seen it twice.  :-//

Overall a very nice piece of equipment but for me the learning curve is going to be steep, at least to use the functions I can use.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #698 on: November 19, 2014, 05:23:05 am »
Use the help button on a given menu and it will tell you what the buttons do on that menu. Press the help menu again to exit from the help mode.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #699 on: November 19, 2014, 05:50:35 am »
"Now just where did I see that option to set the probe divide by ratio???" I've seen it twice.  :-//
Press the active channel button to get that channel's menus on screen.
Then select the appropriate attenuation setting to match your probe.
Set each channel as required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf