Author Topic: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF  (Read 116403 times)

Online thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF
« Reply #325 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:29 am »
My order with "Cozy Life Store" has not been cancelled yet, but I don't have high hopes ;) I also hasn't shipped yet.

Good info on them selling the same items at a higher price, that will definitely help with the complaint process ;)

Oooh, I think I get it now. If I click on the order in my Aliexpress account, it leads me directly to the updated listing with the new price (it's about 140€). But it's definitely the old listing, they just changed the price.

And the interesting part: there's like over 40 5 star reviews on the item.

I figure the intention was to bolster the item with some good reviews and it was therefore listed super-cheap. Then they would change the price but the reviews would still be attached to the item.

And then some dork found the item and made a huge fuzz of it on Ze Internetz and they got bum-rushed with orders over their national holidays  :-DD Talk about bad timing!

Their faces when they noticed, must'a been priceless!
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: October 15, 2019, 11:46:52 am »
Anyone lodged a complaint with DHGate? My seller is now insisting they shipped the item which I'm 99% sure is a lie. I'm going to wait until whatever they did send arrives though before I lodge a complaint.
My seller has stopped being so friendly for anyone who fancies a laugh
:wtf: They really think you're an idiot...

The following users thanked this post: Xenoamor

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #327 on: October 15, 2019, 12:36:13 pm »
I figure the intention was to bolster the item with some good reviews and it was therefore listed super-cheap. Then they would change the price but the reviews would still be attached to the item.
And then some dork found the item and made a huge fuzz of it on Ze Internetz and they got bum-rushed with orders over their national holidays  :-DD Talk about bad timing!
Maybe someone who made The Fuzz was affiliated? [kidding obviously] Shops involved will get tons of bad press in the end. Unless they are hopeless idiots, it was not planned. I agree to either of two versions already mentioned - price typing error or greed that kicked-in after demand spike. Could be so that such price "changes" happen in this "market", we just noticed it for first time.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2019, 12:48:01 pm »
I wonder if the source of the meter suddenly saw a heap flying out the door and jacked the price up leaving the drop-shipping stores hamstrung?

I note there are still 9 stores that have them listed. All for > $200

The reviews make interesting reading.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #329 on: October 15, 2019, 01:06:14 pm »
I note there are still 9 stores that have them listed. All for > $200

Branded or unbranded? So far, the cheap ones were the unbranded version (perhaps didn't pass QA).

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »
There is a chance that Aimo (the manufacturer) took notice of unbranded meters that were sent out to customers and they recalled these units from "the warehouse". There is also a chance someone stole the units from Aimo and they either seized or asked "the warehouse" to seize the remaining units. All of this is speculation of course, but if the newer listings have the brand marked on the face of the meter, the brand may have put their finger to tap this.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »
There is a chance that Aimo (the manufacturer) took notice of unbranded meters that were sent out to customers and they recalled these units from "the warehouse". There is also a chance someone stole the units from Aimo and they either seized or asked "the warehouse" to seize the remaining units. All of this is speculation of course, but if the newer listings have the brand marked on the face of the meter, the brand may have put their finger to tap this.

The one in Cozy Life Store doesn't have the brand on the meter. It's literally the same listing, nothing changed but the price.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2019, 01:31:06 pm »
The one in Cozy Life Store doesn't have the brand on the meter. It's literally the same listing, nothing changed but the price.

Exactly!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:33:37 pm by Mortymore »

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
If they claim the package was lost they can sent it again since it is in stock  :-+

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: October 15, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
My cozy life store message (facts are right, just rephrased):
Item is off the shelf, maybe you want another shit? Otherwise cancel order *yourself*, doing so please choose "other reason".
In short: morons! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2019, 07:50:23 pm »
Exactly!

Only two left in stock though that they salvaged  :-DD

This thing must have hit Russia before us, by about two or three weeks, tons of positive russian reviews:
"the device weighs almost a kilogram as in the description!!! Purchase is satisfied!!!"
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »
This thing must have hit Russia before us, by about two or three weeks, tons of positive russian reviews:
"the device weighs almost a kilogram as in the description!!! Purchase is satisfied!!!"
Right. They did communicate using forum (in russian), without releasing most watched EE video of the month. So to say: one man's loss is another man's gain ;)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2019, 09:08:39 pm »
There are a couple of reasons for a lot of strange Russian comments.
First of all, AliExpress automatically translates comments to English. So something may be lost in translation.

Then AliExpress is huge in Russia and it is becoming bigger and bigger as Russia and China get along better and better. There are local warehouses in Russia actually.

And for the weight specifically. For Russia expected package weight is important. Package contents may get stolen/replaced on a way, so you need to know what to expect at the post office when picking up the package, so you could reject it right away.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:27:04 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:25 pm »
Well for the rest of us the package weight is 0.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2019, 10:11:20 pm »
Arrived, both meters from the same warehouse/shipper, but purchased from different sellers.  :D
Will check accuracy when I get home. Battery contacts slightly corroded, someone left cells in there.. But otherwise no signs of use.

The 6xAAA's are a definitely a hassle. I have a 7.4V 9Wh cell that will almost fit in the battery compartment (13x35x54, compartment is 9.4x43x62), may look for another cell or dremel it out. For comparison 6xAAA alkaline cells are 1000mAh each (9Wh total). Would need a 2 cell compatible charger though.
Meter turns on at ~3V, low battery symbol goes off at 7.55V. So it might be OK for two cell lithium, some tests at 7.2V vs 8V input will be needed to see if accuracy suffers at all.

PDF files on USB attached, 15MB user manual is here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4ccdc868ea1903ab4673b0449612731520191015210052/be1fa994ce377dc95802f5cd542a00cd20191015210052/e279ba (until oct 22)

The 256MB USB key would not transfer files as windows picked up all the virus :palm:. USB key is also "fake", only 128MB or so capacity, do yourself a favor and just throw it straight into the recycling:
The media is likely to be defective.
113.9 MByte OK (233344 sectors)
125.0 MByte DATA LOST (256128 sectors)

edit1: interestingly the first meter does not have a logo on the LCD thats been rubbed off, whereas the second meter does. Second meter has solder on the battery tabs to improve contact. First meter had R8 resistor removed, second is 182k (part of the boost circuit, FB pin of MAX629). So maybe they made it part way through the production process.
edit2: my V output is way off (8.25V at 9V setting), but the mV output is dead on.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:56:10 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2019, 10:59:32 pm »
Arrived, both meters from the same warehouse/shipper, but purchased from different sellers.  :D
Congratulations! The calibration file your calibration file is the same as mine, so that can be chucked.

The virus in the setup.exe is known. Don't try and install the software. That is one of the reasons I went down the python track: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ampx1-process-calibrator-multimeter/. I am a novice at Python, but I am getting there - should have the autodetection of the correct COM port working soon, and I have to set up a decent file capture.

It is worth looking at the mods I suggested previously in this thread - they really make the meter work decently. The default way the battery connects to the PCB is very dodgy. The only contact problem I have now is the banana socket springs on the ends of the probes. Maybe I can replace them with gold plated ones from another connector.

The meter has a number of calibration potentiometers, and working out what they do will be the next step. Hopefully, you can tweak the reference output. My one is about 2mV high at 10V. The outputs are quite useful - 10uV steps to 100mV, 1mV steps to 10V, and 1uA steps to 24mA.

Richard

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, thm_w, ogden

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2019, 11:56:54 pm »
I've still got 2days left on the 10 day extension and still awaiting shipment. I've pretty well given up on ever receiving them(*). But my question is, is there any pros/cons to just cancelling the order? Mainly in respect of getting the refund from Aliexpress.

Since I haven't been BS'd I don't habour grudges against the seller Manbo Life store.

(*) TBH my initial enthusiasm for a bargain has waned considerably inview of some comments seen. Notwithstanding Dave's review.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2019, 01:46:25 am »
I didn't find anyway to adjust the output values but dcv is the highest pot. I suspect the output values are all about the micro and dac(+ref).

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2019, 02:28:45 am »
I didn't find anyway to adjust the output values but dcv is the highest pot. I suspect the output values are all about the micro and dac(+ref).
I am in the same position but with "my cozy life store".  I would let the shop off if it is due to overbooking, problem now is the shop is selling the same reject (with brand and model removed) at US$155.03 .    I would want to leave a negative rating.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2019, 03:06:01 am »

Congratz  :clap:

Which sellers (shop names) are they ? And date of purchase ?

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2019, 03:43:41 am »
Does not have any sense to pay more than USD 20 on this, It's much better options on USD100 range

The following users thanked this post: Xenoamor

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:58 am »
I am seeing a pattern here with a few sellers
they offered it cheap as others...and sold some.
They discovered it was worth more then they were selling it for and up the price on their store.
tried to get as many people to cancel the existing orders, except some other item in exchange so they can sell more at a higher price, or even in once case try to get them to pay more.

the interesting dynamic at play here is:
If you don't voluntary cancel your order or except something else in exchange, they are pressed into a situation where they have to ship something or, admit to Ali express or DHgate that they sold an item they don't have. However, a few of them raising the prices after the order, and still showing it in stock makes this hard for them to explain.
So to keep in good standing with Ali express or DHgate, they would either have to send you the item or do something very unscrupulous. .. lost in shipping, ship you a box of rocks, or a wrong item maybe claiming they shipped you the right thing?
Though doing something unscrupulous risks getting bad feedback, which, if they get enough, can be a problem with Ali Express and DH gate if they receive enough negatives..not to mention hurting sales

This should be very interesting, personally, mine shows in transit and having been put in a plane. I'm gonna let this play out. last message i got after all kinds of explanation of not being in stock, please ask for a refund and tell them you don't want it anymore also please except another item,  then recieving a tracking number and then them saying its just a shipping number nothing was shipped etc please cancel your order, i waited this out and now....after seeing it tracking and loaded on a plane, I asked what the story was and now they say .... we must have found one in the warehouse and shipped it.

if I actually do get somthing I am going to open it on cam, cause well if they pull something, I want it documented i'll be plenty shocked if I get it and have learned a lesson on how to deal with vendors like this going forward..

I hope dave does a video on all these shenanigans once this all plays out for people.

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2019, 07:38:39 am »
What I think is the most strange part is that even if the seller cancels the shipment you can not file a dispute with aliexpress since it was shipped.
No it was not shipped it was cancelled, the aliexpress software goofs this one up.

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:01 am »
On its way (it seems)...
Not clear to me what does "Clearance Constraint" means ?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2019, 09:21:00 am »
On its way (it seems)...
Not clear to me what does "Clearance Constraint" means ?
Possible explanation: customs officer do not believe declared 9$ price because webpage say ~200$ :D You may be asked to provide payment documents. Just educated guess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf