Author Topic: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF  (Read 116014 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF
« Reply #550 on: October 30, 2019, 01:36:55 am »
I found out that the website http://www.ems.com.cn seems to be a spoof of http://ems.com.cn
You can't spoof a sub-domain unless someone has access to the DNS configuration for the primary domain so it is likely a server configuration or cookie issue.
It could be a misconfiguration, but if someone had access to the server, there is a way to serve a similar page with a slightly different address and redirect data out of it. A few months ago I had a given e-mail/password combination stolen due to the exact same combination of "www/non www".
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #551 on: October 30, 2019, 02:21:45 am »
I found out that the website http://www.ems.com.cn seems to be a spoof of http://ems.com.cn
You can't spoof a sub-domain unless someone has access to the DNS configuration for the primary domain so it is likely a server configuration or cookie issue.
It could be a misconfiguration, but if someone had access to the server, there is a way to serve a similar page with a slightly different address and redirect data out of it. A few months ago I had a given e-mail/password combination stolen due to the exact same combination of "www/non www".
If someone has access to server, it does not have to do anything with www/ non www. Also I doubt it was stolen there and not somewhere else. It's like almost all of the websites will work with either variant, some redirecting to single version, other just staying as you entered the address.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: October 30, 2019, 03:34:46 am »

In the first I can't track my package at all, while on the second it shows up with all details.

Does anybody else see that?

Does anyone know how to make that ems.com.cn tracking site work? Whenever I try it I get some kind of unsolvable jigsaw puzzle that I can't get past.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #553 on: October 30, 2019, 03:44:40 am »
Does anyone know how to make that ems.com.cn tracking site work? Whenever I try it I get some kind of unsolvable jigsaw puzzle that I can't get past.

To solve the jigsaw puzzle is to move the slider until the piece of jigsaw fits into the picture.

Disable NoScript "temporarily" for the whole site while you doing it, if you have it installed at your browser, as sometimes it breaks the website.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:49:37 am by BravoV »

Offline blargg

• Contributor
« Reply #554 on: October 30, 2019, 04:02:02 am »
-HAHAHA Lifestyle Store:
Dear friend,
We have been informed by the logistics company that your package has been returned by the shipping company
We are sorry to tell you that our provider informed us
The products are defective in material and function
And we have to return all these items to the factory
or a safety inspection until the problem is resolved

You know, at this point I don't think I even care about the meter I ordered. Sounds like it's going to have lots of problems. Still going to neg the seller once their time runs out.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2019, 04:38:18 am »

In the first I can't track my package at all, while on the second it shows up with all details.

Does anybody else see that?

Use multiple tracking number search box. It works fine unlike single track number search above it. That's if you repeatedly get another puzzle after solving previous one. As of solving puzzle itself, as said above by BravoV.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:40:31 am by wraper »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2019, 04:51:20 am »

You know, at this point I don't think I even care about the meter I ordered. Sounds like it's going to have lots of problems. Still going to neg the seller once their time runs out.

I opened a dispute today for a refund on Aliexpress after I got a reply saying there was no stock. Just waiting to see what happens now.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2019, 05:04:37 am »
I still have 1 dispute ongoing, they denied it. Told me to wait 10 days even though I posted SS's of seller conversation saying they won't be shipping. Ali I guess sees no issue with messages saying we won't ship, a tracking number, and a seller dispute reply of cancel dispute and we'll refund you. No big deal, but pretty interesting anyway.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #558 on: October 30, 2019, 05:41:56 am »
Looking at the power supply section now:

The bad meter happens to have R8 not populated. I'm guessing R8 is switched to 24V/Vout when you move the dial to the 'V/mV' range to drop the supply output voltage to ~12V.
Since you only need 10V max output/input perhaps this saves power or reduces power dissipation. Something getting 24V when it expected 10V could have caused an issue.

I'll try populating R8 but I'm thinking the damage is already done.

Also note the use of a 25V cap on 24V supply 8).

edit: R8 drops the boost supply output to 10V when it is in DMM mode or the dial is between indents. All process ranges sit at 24V, so those shouldn't be affected.
edit2: U5 is the 2.5V reference, pinout matches LM236 or LM136-2.5, 20ppm. Its marked '10091', so maybe from a custom order?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:06:46 am by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #559 on: October 30, 2019, 08:34:41 am »

"Hello again good byer,

Please sirs, why you no except refund, forgets feedback and dipsute and we all go with happy life?

This metre is big mitsake from manurefacturer and pirates grab trucks going to landfill
and sell to us for $4.50 each plus 10% protections for other pirates not to take the metres on way here

We not no this and sell for nine dollar and then the trouble begin as they say ship hits the fan

BS Team at Brightest Star Electonic is tells the truth unilke somes other sellers,
we want keep customers smile, not troubles and bad happy. 

Please consider

Your freind

Pinn Oh Kio"

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:37:34 am by Electro Detective »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2019, 08:43:58 am »
Looking at the power supply section now:

The bad meter happens to have R8 not populated. I'm guessing R8 is switched to 24V/Vout when you move the dial to the 'V/mV' range to drop the supply output voltage to ~12V.
Since you only need 10V max output/input perhaps this saves power or reduces power dissipation. Something getting 24V when it expected 10V could have caused an issue.

I'll try populating R8 but I'm thinking the damage is already done.

Also note the use of a 25V cap on 24V supply 8).

edit: R8 drops the boost supply output to 10V when it is in DMM mode or the dial is between indents. All process ranges sit at 24V, so those shouldn't be affected.
edit2: U5 is the 2.5V reference, pinout matches LM236 or LM136-2.5, 20ppm. Its marked '10091', so maybe from a custom order?

I checked mine and R8 is installed in both.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2019, 08:52:16 am »
And so it begins :

Dear friend, Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the troubles We can refund FULL for you but could you please cancel the dispute at first and promised never open a dispute again. If you agree plz cancel the dispute then contact us and we can REFUND you asap Hope you understand and thanks in advance Best Regards.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #562 on: October 30, 2019, 09:12:32 am »
And so it begins :

Dear friend, Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the troubles We can refund FULL for you but could you please cancel the dispute at first and promised never open a dispute again.

If you agree plz cancel the dispute then contact us and we can REFUND you asap Hope you understand and thanks in advance Best Regards.

"please cancel the dispute at first and promised never open a dispute again."

Let's all cross fingers that if BradC refuses to comply,
it won't result in global sanctions placed on future online shopping  :scared:

:palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #563 on: October 30, 2019, 12:22:16 pm »
If they transfer money to paypal, then they can open dispute and claim it back.

Exactly.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: October 30, 2019, 12:25:43 pm »
When someone has demonstrated a lack of trustworthiness and follow through on their side of a contract in your initial interaction, it’s unwise to expect them to follow through diligently on your second interaction.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline thals

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: October 30, 2019, 02:59:53 pm »
If they transfer money to paypal, then they can open dispute and claim it back.

Exactly.

My understanding is that they can only claim it back under PayPal Purchase Protection for Buyers, by claiming that a (fictional) service was never fulfilled. This, however, requires the payment being sent for goods and services - so as long as you get the refund as payment for friends & family, it's all good.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #566 on: October 30, 2019, 04:12:24 pm »
My understanding is that they can only claim it back under PayPal Purchase Protection for Buyers, by claiming that a (fictional) service was never fulfilled. This, however, requires the payment being sent for goods and services - so as long as you get the refund as payment for friends & family, it's all good.
And how many people do know this? And you need explicitly ask them to do transfer this way.

SantaClaw

« Reply #567 on: October 30, 2019, 04:46:41 pm »
 Shipment cancelled

2019-10-30 09:50:33

Waiting for pick up

2019-10-21 10:10:43 [GMT+8]

So.. yay... Seller cancelled the shipping, but I haven't been told anything by him...

Offline thals

• Contributor
« Reply #568 on: October 30, 2019, 04:53:47 pm »
And how many people do know this? And you need explicitly ask them to do transfer this way.

Now a few more know about this, I hope ;)
In my case (Cozy Life Store) the refund was sent as payment for F&F. so it depends on the seller how it is actually transferred. Better to check with Paypal before closing the AliExpress dispute, I know I did.

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #569 on: October 30, 2019, 05:01:57 pm »
This really pisses me off  >:D
"Cancel my dispute" you bet your arse I won't!

WTF did they send me a tracking ID when they did not ship it and tells me that they do not have it in stock  :palm:

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #570 on: October 30, 2019, 05:05:01 pm »
Oh, and this one:

"The dispute hurts us heavily", I sure hope so!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #571 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:01 pm »
The amazon meter showed up, its a $10 cheapie so not what I ordered, they got the right color though  :-DD
Actually its quite cute and the range switch is solid, comes in all kinds of shades. Too bad NCV mode doesn't work at all though.. shockingly. I'll have to test it for accuracy later, deserves its own thread.

https://www.banggood.com/ANENG-V02B-4000-Counts-Auto-ranging-Digital-True-RMS-Multimeter-With-Temperature-Measure-BacklightFlashlight-p-1474246.html

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:48 am »
Aliexpress sorted the dispute with "My Cozy Life Store" for me. No questions asked, they just returned the funds I paid to my credit card. Of course, currency exchange rates aren't compensated but at different times, that could have turned out the other direction, so I don't blame them for that. Anyway, at that price I considered the whole thing a gamble right from the start. I guess I got lucky as the seller cancelled the shipment after I waited several weeks for the parcel to be picked up, so there wasn't any room left for discussions (with AliExpress that is).

At least, the seller has to deal with the dispute consequences (whatever they are...) and I hope they will learn something for the future from that disaster...

I wish the other players of this game at least the same luck for their outcome -- actually considering the reports of those who actually received a meter make me doubt what to prefer -- a clean refund or a dodgy meter that may consume hours of my time...  :-//

Whatsoever, following the whole collective purchase proceedings was priceless!

Cheers,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #573 on: October 31, 2019, 02:03:10 am »
When filing the dispute, make sure you include the screen shot of their message that asking for refund thru paypal, this is not the legit method right ? CMMIW

Hopefully this will give some negative valuation to the shop it self by the Aliexpress system.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #574 on: October 31, 2019, 04:42:02 am »
so... what am I supposed to do with this process meter ?
You actually got one or is this a hypothetical question  :-DD
The reason everyone ordered this meter was to curse and insult the chinese sellers, that part succeeded. :-DD

Use it to tell you when it is time for a Beer  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf