Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2296172 times)

CastleCustodain, bgm370 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:55 pm »
Very nice!

Thanks robrenz, I am still deciding on which to do above the 27.19 image, either a pegboard solution for tools or more shelving. I am even considered some cabinets/pegboard type of mix for above the teardown and assembly work bench.
Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
Nice layout.  Lots of clear bench space.  My problem is my office is too big for the shop and the shop is too big for the office so they are on two different floors.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
Nice lab.  :)

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »
Over the weekend, I put some of the final touches on my new lab. I am about 98% complete with the new improved lab. Here are some new pictures.

Really nice work. :-+

Do you sit on the bar stool when working at the high tables? While I also prefer different heights between workstation and my work surface, your setup does take this to the extreme. ;)

Offline barjammar

• Contributor
  • I need to know more about this stuff ...
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »
In a new house I allocated a budget for an electronics workshop (which previously had been in a closet in my garage).  This one is really an IKEA kitchen so I have enclosed the IKEA CAD images and pictures as well as the finished product. 

Two issues have to be resolved. 
1). I have windows but my server is generating heat so I will need an air conditioner in the summer - even if I move the server out.
2). The shelving above my bench needs to be revised.  I have some kitchen shelves which take various hooks to hold cables off the bench.  Instruments are up a bit high at present.  I will need to look at a professional service lab setup. 
BTW, I collect a few old calculators - so will be fixing these.  Meantime they are stored in cupboards and drawers.
I recently bought a RIGOL 1104Z and 1022.  The various items are annotated in one image.  The Mac is pretty, and serves to check the internet with.  It is the last of the PowerPC type so cannot be updated and crashes on some internet pages.  Insulted screwdrivers were found at Jaycar about 5 years ago - too unique to use!  The panorama shows the end where I have a functioning server and an old spare one not connected.
The total cost of the IKEA bench and cupboards under it was about $2600.  The rear wall has full height cupboards which cost about the same as the benches but aren't well shown in the pictures.
Updated 7/11/2013 three shelves added from Bunnings and active Server moved inside air conditioned part of house.
(Images were taken with iPhone 5s, the final one with panorama - all compressed to fit the 2Mb limit on this site).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:57:37 am by barjammar »

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2013, 08:14:22 pm »
Over the weekend, I put some of the final touches on my new lab. I am about 98% complete with the new improved lab. Here are some new pictures.

Really nice work. :-+

Do you sit on the bar stool when working at the high tables? While I also prefer different heights between workstation and my work surface, your setup does take this to the extreme. ;)

Since the photos I have replaced the "Bar Stool" with adjustable Lab/Tech chairs. Much more comfortable and they have adjustable height as well!

Offline theonetruestickman

« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »
I posted this to the Amp Hour reddit a while ago, but thought I'd put it here as well.

Workbench May 2013 by The One True Stickman, on Flickr

I'm in the process of starting a big re-org to lay things out a little more efficiently, but I'm sure it won't look much different to the untrained viewer when I'm done. :D

Offline robbag

• Contributor
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2013, 11:02:17 am »
Welcome to my latest addition, the DIY electronics workbench. Modular construction to allow easy transportation. Sitting on it is my hakko fx888, DIY 0-30vdc power supply and an old 2ch 20MHz scope. Time for an upgrade I think.

Offline barjammar

• Contributor
  • I need to know more about this stuff ...
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »

I see similarity between my setup and Terabyte2007.  I think it's an Ikea table top and similar magnifier light and shelving. So I must have got it about right, and no need to go back to USA.  However, the collection of instruments in Terabyte's lab is fa superior.

For Insulted Screwdriver fans - here are the close-ups.  To be fair though, this type of error is becoming less common from our Chinese colleagues where so much top quality technology is being produced e.g. Rigol, this iPhone, etc. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:52:41 am by barjammar »

Offline envisionelec

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »
Insulted screwdrivers were found at Jaycar about 5 years ago - too unique to use!

Can't let that one get away.

Commence the  :-DD

Offline VintageTekFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »
I'm getting so many ideas  ;D
The three laws of thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't even break even.
3. You can't get out of the game.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »
Insulted screwdrivers were found at Jaycar about 5 years ago - too unique to use!

Can't let that one get away.

Commence the  :-DD

Having Insulted screwdrivers are better than having a pissed off soldering iron.

Offline romelec

• Contributor
« Reply #462 on: November 07, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »
Here is mine, last weekend I made a lot of cleanup so I took a picture, It will not last very long.
I also have in another house a small CNC I built, it's very useful !

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #463 on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:53 pm »
Don't get your CNC wet through those holes by the roof. Would be a shame  :-\

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #464 on: November 09, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »
I need a bigger house :(

Offline Maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:09 am »

This is the lab I use in school for my classes.  Spend about 8 hours a week in here.

I have a good stash of Fluke 8010a's on my desk, i don't know how they have survived being used by 25+ years worth of first year students.
i don't know what was going on here where i needed 5 meters and 2 scope channels.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:55:42 am by Maximus »
My field of study has become so complex that I can no longer just Wikipedia the answer

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2013, 11:52:33 am »

I like your bench - but I have no clue where you put your knees when working.  Do you work bent over?  That would be hard on even my young back.

I still don't get the "tall bench" vs "low bench" pluses and minuses.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:06:56 pm by george graves »

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
Quote from: willb

You need to expand and conquer. I took over two rooms, well actually 3 rooms in the house so far. Wifes about ready to kick my ass!

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »
pics?

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22:40 pm »
pics?

If you are referring to me, I have posted my updated lab, just search back a page or two.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2013, 01:38:59 pm »
I like your bench - but I have no clue where you put your knees when working.  Do you work bent over?  That would be hard on even my young back.

Over the years I've had both shorter and tall benches.  My current electronics bench's work surface  is 34 inches high.  I have found that for me this is a good height for standing at as well as sitting on a stool and working.  If it was lower it would not be comfortable to stand at which I do quite often.

My soldering station is 29.5 inches high.  It was actually built using a computer desk.  It would be too low to stand at and work. The soldering station I can sit at in a normal office chair.

Both of my benches have space for my legs under them when you are sitting at them.   Building a bench with no leg room to sit under would be a mistake.  You want to be able to lean over your work easily but not have to lean all the time.

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2013, 01:50:57 am »

I guess I do work slightly bent over, but I find it comfortable. I can fit my knees under my bench just enough. Height wise my bench is probably taller than most, but I'm 6'2, so a high working surface is a must.

I'm pretty much confined to the spare room in the basement for my lab, I'd probably have to sleep on the couch if I take over too much of the house.  ;D The house is legally 100% mine, I bought it before my partner and I met, but that certainly doesn't matter in the say I have, haha.  :)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »
I'm 6'2" as well.  but I prefer my soldering to be at the same position as if I was hand writing a letter - for the most precise hand control and stuff..  The small mussels in your wrist/hand, are much more fine then in your arms/chest.  Something everyone knows instinctively.  Sitting on a stool, and not having your forearms supported is a disadvantage as I see it.  Plus, your eyes are closer to the work. 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
I'm 6'2" as well.  but I prefer my soldering to be at the same position as if I was hand writing a letter
Same for me (6'-3").

Offline backflipper

• Contributor
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2013, 11:31:58 pm »
Welcome to my latest addition, the DIY electronics workbench. Modular construction to allow easy transportation. Sitting on it is my hakko fx888, DIY 0-30vdc power supply and an old 2ch 20MHz scope. Time for an upgrade I think.
Nice, simple and more than capable!

I came very close to upgrading. My fluke pm3084 to a rigol but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it!
Looking for Fluke 9100ft and associated pods (9000a-z80, 9000a-6502, 9000a-68000)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf