Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2299373 times)

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How does your lab look like?
« Reply #750 on: June 08, 2014, 10:10:15 pm »
Anything I'm missing? (o;
You miss a soldering iron.

Don't know what all the equipment you mention is as I can't remember all model numbers. Would be easier if you wrote oscilloscope, multimeter etc. next to each item.

Offline davorin

• Supporter
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #751 on: June 08, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »
Updated my previous post (o;

I used to have a Weller soldering iron for over 20 years now...and gave it to my son (o;
Switched over to Oki Metcal....

Worst thing is though....in the good old days I learned in apprentice school vacuum tube technology and components where large...
Now the older I get, the worse my eye sight get, the smaller the components are (o;

So my next device would be a magnifying lens with built-in lamp ;-)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #752 on: June 08, 2014, 10:45:30 pm »
optivisor recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015IS6IY

I won't solder without that thing on.  for the last 5 yrs or so, i've been using that and I feel a lot safer when I have to work close and solder or cutoff TH leads or even do light drilling.

you get one set of eyes.

I don't have lights on that visor; I rely on good shop lighting.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #753 on: June 08, 2014, 11:08:40 pm »
optivisor recommended:

I won't solder without that thing on.  for the last 5 yrs or so, i've been using that and I feel a lot safer when I have to work close and solder or cutoff TH leads or even do light drilling.

you get one set of eyes.

I inherited one of those. Maybe I should dig it out and give it a try.

BTW, do you happen to know if they work with glasses?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #754 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11:42 am »

They do!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #755 on: June 09, 2014, 12:53:57 am »
you will look like a nerd (or worse) with the glass visor unit on, but its WORTH IT for such peace of mind.  over the years, I don't know how many flying resistor cutoff leads just barely missed hitting me.  solder flare-ups, whatever.  its just great knowing that you get magnification and protection.

I didn't even think about this when I was younger.  now, like I said, I refuse to touch a soldering iron unless I'm wearing that visor.  I believe in them THAT much and can't recommend them strongly enough to people. 

they should be considered mandatory for everyone who buys a soldering iron.  I really wish I was told this all those years ago when I first started soldering and building things.  everyone knows about 'safety goggles' when you take shop class in high school, but at home doing 'harmless, simple soldering' you don't think of eye protection.  these don't fog up and so I don't mind wearing them for extended soldering sessions.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #756 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:04 am »

They do!

its kind of funny how it works, with some people.  I'm at the point where I need bifocals but refuse to get them.  instead, I move my glasses up and down the bridge of my nose, to focus ;)  I do that, THEN I flip the visor down and move my head back and forth to find the NEW focal point.  real PITA but, yes, these do definitely work fine with eyeglasses.  I would not be able to use these without my eyeglasses, in fact.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #757 on: June 09, 2014, 01:30:33 am »

They do!
That's great news. Thank you.  :)

I'm at the point where I need bifocals but refuse to get them.
Same with me.

Not too sure on bifocals thus far (haven't seen a good demonstration on no-line types), so I'm still currently using separate pairs for reading and distance. PITA to swap for a few seconds, so I just slide them down and look over the top to see something close.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #758 on: June 09, 2014, 02:02:03 am »
ot, but I tried the progressive lenses and it drove me nuts.  bifocals also drove me nuts with that bizarre windowed view of the world.  so, like you, I tune the glasses up and down as I need to.  its not great but it gets me by and avoids the whole windowed view issue.

Offline kc9qvl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #759 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:15 am »
If a headband magnifier doesn't work for your needs. I recently purchased this desk/floor magnifier. Good light source and lens is excellent.
http://www.ottlite.com/p-390-2-in-1-led-magnifier-floor-and-table-light.aspx

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #760 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
ot, but I tried the progressive lenses and it drove me nuts.  bifocals also drove me nuts with that bizarre windowed view of the world.  so, like you, I tune the glasses up and down as I need to.  its not great but it gets me by and avoids the whole windowed view issue.

I have been wearing progressive lenses for about 10 years now.  It took awhile initially to get adjusted to them, probably about 2 weeks which is what the Optometrist said it would take.  I don't have any issues with the "bizarre windowed view of the world" and I don't wear large framed glasses.  In fact, mine are about as small as you can practicably get.  This year I need to get my eyes checked, so I will be looking at the feasibility of multi-focal contact lenses.  SWMBO just got them earlier in the year and she likes them.  From what I understand, they are a vast improvement over the bifocal contacts of a few years ago.  Might be an option to consider.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #761 on: June 09, 2014, 04:35:10 pm »
Going desk shopping today, hopefully the surplus store has something good!
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #762 on: June 22, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
I think building your own is the way to go.  I made some out of simple 2X4s and some MDF plywood.  They are built like tanks.    I actually built two of them, one for my electronics workbench, and another to replace my ham radio desk.  I was using a couple of those plastic folding tables before (Ug).  This is light years better.

I made both of them very high (39" tall) at standing/bar height. I wanted to be able to work standing or sitting. I also put them on free-spinning wheels so they are easy to move out away from the wall for working on the cables etc. that are behind the benches.  I also found some very cheap old classic drafting chairs that are unbelievably sturdy on craigslist and I am using those for seating.

I installed 3 levels of LED strip lighting on each bench. On the electronics bench there are led strips on the underside of the two shelves, and also more led strip lights under the bench to help look inside all the boxes on the storage shelf I put underneath, or to help when you drop something on the floor.

On the radio desk, I put led strips on each of the two levels of the radio shelving unit I built early in the year, and also put leds under that desk as well for helping to look through the storage.
The LEDs are all dimmable separately. I used a couple of cheap dimmers made for RGB leds and I just hooked one level up to R, one to G, and one to B.

I am really happy how they turned out. If anyone wants to copy, I will be more than happy to give you more details/drawings/tips of how I built them.  After building a pair of them, the basic design is so easy I could whip another one out in no time.  My wife now wants me to build one for the kids to use for their projects and crafts.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #763 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:28 pm »
Nice Job.  My workbench is similar but I didn't use the back legs to also hold the shelf brackets.  I attached 2X4s along the back.  I added a 3rd cross piece between top and bottom cross pieces so I have 3 points of attachment for the 2X4s.  I also used MDF-3/4" for the tabletop and 1/2" for the shelves.  I will have to change out the 1/2" as it is bowing between the shelf brackets even though I have 4 brackets across the 8' length.  Do you have additional lighting besides the LED strips and what are you using.  I have a 4 bulb T-8 fixture fitted with daylight deluxe bulbs.  I am probably going to add a 2nd 2 bulb fixture for 6 bulbs as I can plug it into the 4 bulb and have 1 power switch for both lights.  Lots of light is necessary when you are north of 50 |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline corax

• Contributor
« Reply #764 on: June 22, 2014, 10:40:56 pm »
Lots of light is necessary when you are north of 50 |O
Took me a moment.. I thought you were referring to latitude.  (Still holds- lots of dark up here during AK winters.)
I really want to replace my hodge-podge of desks and file cabinets with something custom built.  My workspace right now:

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #765 on: June 22, 2014, 10:53:52 pm »
Nice Job.  My workbench is similar but I didn't use the back legs to also hold the shelf brackets.  I attached 2X4s along the back.

I came across that idea on some ham radio forum and I decided to try it.  It was easy enough, but it has one drawback.  It barely fits through the door.  If I was doing it again, I might build a separate 'hutch' that could be taken off.

I will have to change out the 1/2" as it is bowing between the shelf brackets even though I have 4 brackets across the 8' length. 

Here is what you need to do.. look at my shelves.  They are  only 1/2 MDF and 84" long.  See how much equipment it is holding (those old scopes are heavy). 

What you need to do to keep it from bowing is to attach a strip of 1x2 to the front of the shelves.  I used a nail gun to drive some 2" finishing nails all along the length.   Orient the 1x2 strip so that the grain of the wood is strongest against bowing down.  That is what I did and it makes a HUGE difference in the strength of the shelves without bowing and you can easily get by with 1/2" MDF.  It also provides a little 'lip' to hide the LED strips as well so they don't shine directly in your eyes.  I am going to put a strip along the top shelf like I did the lower shelf for that reason alone, even though I don't plan on having as much weight up there.

Do you have additional lighting besides the LED strips and what are you using.

Oh yeah.  When working on boards, soldering etc.. the LED is not quite enough light concentrated in one place.  I have that fluorescent lamp you can see on the right under the shelf that has a built in magnifier lens I pull out sometimes for detail work on that side of the bench where I usually do hot air/smd, and on the left is a swing arm lamp with a magnifier lens and a bring fluorescent tube light as well on that side when I am soldering.  So yeah, even with multiple strips of the brightest LEDs I could find 5430-600, I still use those lamps to provide extra spot lighting when I need it.   I think that the bulbs in those task lamps are also a little more 'natural/warmer' light than the LED's.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:56:49 pm by nixfu »

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #766 on: June 23, 2014, 12:36:51 am »
Corax - Nice DX 70!  , had one of them for many years

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #767 on: June 23, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »
Nixfu, I like the idea of the 1X2 at the edge.  If I am going to do that, I will have to cut off the tips of the shelf brackets that I have.  They have the upturned lip to keep the shelves from sliding off.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »
Nixfu, I like the idea of the 1X2 at the edge.  If I am going to do that, I will have to cut off the tips of the shelf brackets that I have.  They have the upturned lip to keep the shelves from sliding off.

That makes sense, mine are flat and you have to screw the shelves in from underneath.  You can either attach the board to the front of the shelves, or attach it at the bottom.  The key is to get a piece of wood so that the wood grain where it is the strongest against the forces that want to bend the shelf and make it sag.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #769 on: June 23, 2014, 05:14:48 pm »
optivisor recommended:

you get one set of eyes.

Same here. Using it for years and love them. What lens number are you suing?  Mine is #7. Never tried different magnifications.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #770 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »
optivisor recommended:

you get one set of eyes.

Same here. Using it for years and love them. What lens number are you suing?  Mine is #7. Never tried different magnifications.
I wouldn't sue a lens if I were you
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #771 on: June 30, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »
maybe it would be a good thing to sue a lens.

the US 'justices' are too blind and can't see straight.  bringing a lens to court might actually help.

;)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #772 on: July 01, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
Lately I've set up a small bench dedicated to soldering and microscopy. Nothing special, though building the shelving above it, and a major building rewiring project that got started off with some extra power outlets for this bench took a while.

What I thought may be worth mentioning is this idea for a working surface in a soldering area.

The little table in the pics is actually quite old - it was made by my grandfather when I was a small child. It's been kicking around, and turned out to be just the right size for this use. But it's an heirloom, and I don't want to mess up the surface. So what to cover it with?

First I bought a sheet of cheap MDF, cut it to size and estapolled it. That would do to take the burns and stains that go with hot irons, fluxes, hot air guns, etc. It's not pretty, and I'm sure its anti-static properties leave a lot to be desired, but I'm not fussy.

Then a few days ago I was at Bunnings (major hardware store chain in Australia), and came across a pallet load of huge ceramic floor tiles. They are 60 x 60 cm (almost 2 feet square), 9mm thick, hard vitrous material with a mirror finish on top. And a pleasant enough ivory colour.  I've never seen tiles so big before.
The amazing thing is they are $16.50 for a pack of 3.

I don't know how that price works. Of course they are from China, but they are really heavy. Hard to imagine even shipping them here for that much. Still, I don't care. About $5 for a super tough, glass-smooth heat-proof work surface sounds good to me, so I bought a pack. One of them is on the bench top in the photos.

Perhaps this may turn out to be a dumb idea. But didn't cost much. We'll see how it goes.

The tile surface is definitely just the bulk tile material, polished to a mirror finish. No glaze. It's impermeable too, so suction cap hold-downs will work on it. Something that's been a nuisance with all my other wood benchtops, which are not airtight so small suction vices and such just fall off them immediately. Not with this.

Obviously a ceramic tile wouldn't be good for a surface you might want to hammer on. But I think a soldering space is the least likely place to need hammering, in my whole workshop.
How prone it will be to scratching, remains to be seen. It appears to be a very hard ceramic, not at all like earthenware tiles.
Anyway, if it breaks or gets horribly scratched up, I have two more!

There's some kind of oily film on the tiles, that ignored cleaners like spray & wipe. It took Ajax and a scouring pad to get it off. Perhaps some kind of silicone oil, from the polishing process?
I still can't get over how perfect the surface on these tiles is. No visible gaps with a straightedge, and reflections show no perceptible distortion. How the hell did they make them for so little? Maybe it was a going out of business disposals deal or something.

It will be interesting to see how it takes local heating from a hot air gun or gas torch. Usually I do that kind of work on a small sheet of fibro. Perhaps it might still be a good idea.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #773 on: July 01, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
It is the shelf on the right, cloaked in shadow, that I find most interesting...

I love the little space you've set up for working, there.  Well lit, monitor up and out of the way for reference.  Nicely done.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #774 on: July 01, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »
It is the shelf on the right, cloaked in shadow, that I find most interesting...
Heh. What, the Tek 7104 with a 7D01 parked in it? Is that the most ridiculous combination ever?
That's a storage shelving space. Nothing to see there.... :)

I love the little space you've set up for working, there.  Well lit, monitor up and out of the way for reference.  Nicely done.
Thanks. It's still in development. So is the whole room, but coming along. Not quite ready to show off.
It's nice how easy it is to hang LCD screens on a wall. See pics.
As for lighting - actually that's still to be determined for that bench. There are both big fluros and halogen spots in the ceiling, but I'm looking for something like a very bright LED point worklight I can mount on the underside of that shelf. That won't shine in my eyes, or reflect off the screen.

The PC is just behind the wall there, in the storage space. Another use will be for image capture from the microscopes, which are sitting up on the shelf there. In plastic bags, since my whole workspace suffers chronic dust. I keep forgetting to close the interconnecting door to the very very dusty adjoining metal/wood workshop.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf