Author Topic: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts  (Read 1655932 times)

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
Re: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #1025 on: June 30, 2014, 11:42:54 am »
my goal was to find out will it work like real GRID K2 so i can share gpu to multiple vm-s.

without mod with qemu-git on latest debian it works flawless...

Using qemu-git with what, exactly? KVM? Xen?
Are you saying that you can pass the GTX680 to a VM without modifying it onto a Quadro/Tesla/Grid?

with gird k2 ID, i can run it with grid k2 drivers,even with desktop ones, but restart, shutdown, POST screen doesn't work... but when gpu works it works same like 680gtx, in games, streaming hw encode... etc... with both drivers with id GRID K2...

Again, with what hypervisor? What do you mean by "restart, shutdown, POST screen doesn't work"?
If you mean that you don't see the POST screen in the VM on the GPU output, then this is normal. You will only get the SeaBIOS POST screen if the card is passed through as the primary (VGA) card. This means that QEMU has to dump the BIOS out of the card and side-load it for SeaBIOS to initialize. I have never seen this work on any hypervisor.

Restarting, shutting down and starting up again works just fine for me using Xen, with no GPU crashes.

Desktop and Quadro/Tesla/Grid drivers are actually the same if the version is the same. Quadro/Tesla/Grid drivers get tested much more thoroughly, hence why they are released much less frequently, but the binaries should be the same between those and the desktop drivers of the same version.

so pretty much card works with GRID K2 id... so next i wanted to try to share it...

There's should be a "pretty much" in there. I've used this setup extensively with Xen with no unexpected issues at all. If you mod to a Grid K2, your video outputs will be limited to SL-DVI modes. If you read a few pages back, this seems to be a known firmware/driver bug. If you want to fix it you will need to take your chances and flash the Grid K2 firmware onto your 680 (if your 680 is 4GB you shouldn't need to edit the firmware for RAM size, as discussed a few further pages back), but IIRC the K2 has no physical video outputs, so you will lose the use of those, and you'll only be able to use the card for GPU sharing with video output going out to a remote client.

on xen-server 6.2 latest - with any GRID K2 host driver... it detects it normally, but when i try to start vm with shared gpu... i got 3 lines in dmesg like...
its init and binding gpu, taking ownership  and then nothing... xen-center crashes with error iomem... vgpu exited unexpectedly...
passing it like single card works sometimes...

I think it would be particularly useful to be able to compare the results against what happens with a real Grid K2. Xen GPU sharing is still sufficiently experimental that you could be dealing with a software bug or hardware compatibility issue. Can you confirm you use a different GPU as the dom0 primary?

on native windows 2012 R2 hyper-v installing with any GRID host driver crashes host (kernel i guess, mouse shows here and then with bsod sometimes, on keyboard numlock blinks)... all 3 outputs have some problems like black/white screen blinking and black/green snow (lol)...

Again, this could be related to the known Grid K2 firmware/driver bug.
There is no way installing the driver should be crashing the host unless there is a failrly epic software bug in play.

last epic try:
qemu with win 2012r2 vm with grid passed... i can make driver and hyper-v to work but i don't have gpu listed in hyper-v  options (maybe cause of passtrough, so it doesn't detect it like phy gpu) :(

I'm pretty sure nobody ever tested nested virtualization like this, nor do I think anyone expects it to even remotely work.

so next step would be updating bios? would that help? is it possible to recover bios if it fails?

You could try. Worst case, you should always be able to re-flash the BIOS by attaching SPI lines directly to the EEPROM chip. I believe there is a discussion 20 or so pages back here about doing it using a Raspberry Pi. But you should only need to do that if the BIOS cross-flash fails. Because Grid K2 is a multi-GPU card, it will come with 2 BIOSes. You should probably use the primary BIOS from the K2 and you will need to edit the bus device arrangement. I think I wrote a post about where this is in the BIOS many months ago on this thread. Otherwise you won't be able to flash the BIOS onto the card.

did anyone managed to get it to work like real grid? is it even possible?

I haven't even heard of anyone who managed to get a real Grid K2 to work with anything but ESX, and even that is mostly from marketing material hearsay. Incidentally, ESX let's you do GPU sharing with a Grid, Tesla, and even some Quadros (Fermi 5000/6000).

Offline slis

• Contributor
« Reply #1026 on: June 30, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »
with kvm... sry.

with xen-server i could pass grid as single whole gpu ... but got crash with vgpu... iomem exited unexpectedly....

ah well after reading all this couple of times... i think i am gonna give up on this mod and just use 680gtx with kvm

flashing bios is too much for me...

thanks for your extended answers sir gordan :)

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1027 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:34 pm »
Hold on - you can pass an Nvidia card _unmodified_ in KVM and it works fine? Seriously? When did that happen??

Offline h1386343

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: July 01, 2014, 04:03:49 am »
Sorry, I do not want to derail the thread, but would it be possible to override a vanilla 780's 1004 DeviceID into vanilla's Titan 1005 one by using hard/soft straps? If such could be accomplished perhaps 4-Way SLI could unofficially be possible again despite Nvidia's effort to lock it out. A friend of mine alreadt has a Tri-SLI Galaxy HOF non-reference setup and he would really like to test such thing with another more card he got back from RMA.

Cheers.

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1029 on: July 01, 2014, 07:12:01 am »
Nobody has yet identified the resistors controlling the 4th device ID nibble on the 780/780Ti/Titan boards.

Offline slis

• Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: July 01, 2014, 07:53:01 am »
Hold on - you can pass an Nvidia card _unmodified_ in KVM and it works fine? Seriously? When did that happen??

YES... i think with kernel 3.6  :) couple months ago

i am testing it for last month with 2-3-4 gpus in same machine... not a single problem with passing nvidia card...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:55:11 am by slis »

Offline slis

• Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: July 01, 2014, 08:05:22 am »
one stupid question :)

would it be possible to run for example debian with latest kernel, with xen supervisor then install nvidia-vgx-grid driver for xen-server kernel 2.6? and then somehow cut gpu in vgpu-s like in real  xen-server? is xen supervisor for debian same like one in xen-server?

thx
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:08:29 am by slis »

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1032 on: July 01, 2014, 09:04:59 am »
one stupid question :)

would it be possible to run for example debian with latest kernel, with xen supervisor then install nvidia-vgx-grid driver for xen-server kernel 2.6? and then somehow cut gpu in vgpu-s like in real  xen-server? is xen supervisor for debian same like one in xen-server?

No.

Offline mosmo

• Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: July 08, 2014, 04:49:34 pm »

YES... i think with kernel 3.6  :) couple months ago

i am testing it for last month with 2-3-4 gpus in same machine... not a single problem with passing nvidia card...

Well that is interesting. I guess to test this, one must install Ubuntu or similar and install KVM package?

Offline slis

• Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:42 pm »
Yeah... arch, debian and ubuntu works almost out of the box depending on host (i)gpu (you may need 1 or 2 patches....)
qemu-kvm 1.7+ or 2.0+ is safe bet i think...

check arch forum for kvm vga passthrough...

GL :)

Offline Firephyz

« Reply #1035 on: July 13, 2014, 07:11:18 am »
Hey. So I just stumbled across this forum post and discovered the dirty things Nvidia has been doing to make money. What I wonder now is turning a Geforce card into a Quadro or even a Tesla advantagous in the field of scientific computing and such? Will a GTX 690 modded into two Quadro K5000's allow for unlocked floating point utilization and even error correction memory? And would modding the card further into a Tesla K10 remove support for Opengl? I would suspect that if the floating point caps and the Opengl support are induced by a specific driver (geforce vs quadro vs tesla driver) that these mods would indeed do these things I mentioned, so long as you then get the correct drivers.

And just another question, what could a GTX 780, reference pcb, be modded into? I know it has the GK110 microarchitecture, GK110-400 I think. The Tesla K40 has a GK110b architecture so I suppose it can't be modded into a K40. I can't really find much info on the K20 or K20X, only that they also have a GK110-??? chip. Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Offline Nindustries

« Reply #1036 on: July 13, 2014, 03:56:36 pm »
Could someone post/PM a detailed process on how I need to convert my ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II to a Grid K2? (Same as a 780)
Or just indicate on a picture what resistors I need to remove and where to insert the 40K resistor.
(I read most of the posts in this thread and found the conversion table, but still not sure where to do anything.)

I'm not very proficient in electronics, that's why I'd like someone to write it out more briefly for me.  :palm:

Thanks guys.

Not at home atm, so can't supply pcb pictures. Google images: https://www.google.be/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=811&q=asus+gtx+660+ti+directcu+ii&oq=asus+gtx+660+ti&gs_l=img.3.1.0i19l2.144490.147238.0.149088.15.13.0.2.2.0.127.1200.7j5.12.0....0...1ac.1.48.img..1.14.1205.48wTR9xU07Y&gws_rd=ssl
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:03:59 am by Nindustries »

Offline Stefan Cologne

• architecture
« Reply #1037 on: August 12, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
Hi,
has someone changed a EVGA GTX690 into a K10? As I´ve seen, they should have the same chip.

Greetings from Cologne,
Stefan

Offline Stefan Cologne

• architecture
« Reply #1038 on: August 13, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »
I forgot:

I ment, if it´s possible to mod the card, so that both GPU´s are working!

Offline Stefan Cologne

• architecture
« Reply #1039 on: August 13, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »
Or...

has anyone found a solution to get a K20? Which gtx-card could be modded?

Offline gosheto

« Reply #1040 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:28 pm »
Hello,

I successful mod my GTX770 (Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 2 Gb) to Nvidia GRID K2.
Many thanks and credits to @gordan and @verybigbadboy!   :-+
Work setup are - 40K none 40K none, no vBIOS changes, using 80.04.C3.00.55 from techpowerup.com
Card work on bare metal Windows 8.1 x64, score Unigine Valley Benchmark 2000~2015 points (normal result for this card).
Both DVI links work.
VMWare esxi passthrough (vDGA) work - tested on VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.5 Update 1 and VMware vSphere Beta2 6.0.0
I think that vSGA does not work, now I testing.
So I have question, what driver to use .. current version for GTX770, or driver for GRID K2?
Does GRID driver unlock any additional features?
GTX driver report enabled PhysX computing, GRID driver "disable" this feature.
Both drivers report in GPU-Z that Bus Interface to work at PCI-Express x16 v1.1 mode?!?!?

15.08.2014 - The card lost possibility to boot in “Ultra fast boot” mode. The VBIOS of main discrete VGA card support UEFI GOP, and I using it before modification, now it can not support “Ultra Fast Boot” and “CSM Disable”. VBIOS is untouched, using 80.04.C3.00.55 from techpowerup.com

More info will be added soon...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:31:04 am by gosheto »

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1041 on: August 15, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »
I ment, if it´s possible to mod the card, so that both GPU´s are working!

Yes.

Offline woken

« Reply #1042 on: August 20, 2014, 04:21:46 pm »
Hey guys, can someone tell me how to mod my evga GTX 780 6gb into a grid k2 card?  With this I can use sVGA, vGPU, remotefx with no problems right?

Basically I want 1 graphics card to be shared across multiple virtual machines at the same time

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1043 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:32 am »
You cannot do this with a 780 because the GPU is completely different to the K2.
It is also not clear whether anyone has successfully managed to get this to work with a modified card.

I would suggest you get a cheap GTX470 or 480, modify that with a BIOS strap patch into a Quadro 5000 or 6000, and try it with that. If that works, then you can start looking at modifying a 680 into a Tesla K10 and try using that (according to the documentation Quadro 5000, 6000, Grid K2, and Tesla K10 are all supported for VSGA.

Offline amin_eshgh

« Reply #1044 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:52 am »
Hi I want to know that a quadro k5000 aslo can be used as VGPU in Remote Fx?
How can i shared it with 3 computers ?

Offline gordan

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Articles
« Reply #1045 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »
I suggest you look through VMware's documentation on ESXi VSGA.

Offline ziomario

« Reply #1046 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:29 pm »
Hello to everyone. I would like to know if I can activate the VGA Passthrough on Xen with this graphic card :

Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD NVIDIA GTX 660 (PCI-e, 2GB, GDDR5 memory, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 1GPU)

thanks.

Offline Patribus

GTX 660
« Reply #1047 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »
Hello, first of all: I'm amazed with this hack! I never thought this would be possible.

Well, the thing is, I'm using a GTX 660 / Device ID 10DE - 11C0 (Gigabyte ID 1458 - 354E) (NOT Ti!!!) and would like to change it to a K4000 (?). I'm working with professional 3D software which needs a Quadro Card for a very specific function. But I do not have the money for that.

I went through the whole forum and found very little about this card.
> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg342828/#msg342828
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg421274/#msg421274

Does some one worked with a the same card as mine?  Is there a step-by-step instruction how to do it?

Which other cards are known to work for sure? I do not have a problem to by another one if I know that it can be hacked.

Cheers

PS: isn't there a wiki where all this information is being gathered?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:38:24 pm by Patribus »

Offline amin_eshgh

« Reply #1048 on: August 28, 2014, 07:58:19 am »
Hi "Patribus" think may it is  possible to do but you should  be successful with 650 it boost

Hello Gays
I want to Flash my Bios of gtx 770 i modded it to quadrok5000 now i want to edit it's boot section of bios or flash it's bios with a quadro k5000 bios I download
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/129867/nvidia-quadrok5000-4096-120817.html
with nvflash_windows_5.165 i try but it say
PCI subsytem ID mismatch

id : 10de:1184:196e:1033
id : 10de:11BA:10de:0965
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:10:52 am by amin_eshgh »

Offline Patribus

« Reply #1049 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:56 am »
Hi think may it is  possible to do but you should  be successful with 650 it boost

Some link to instructions page?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf