Author Topic: Windows is getting disgusting  (Read 214043 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Windows is getting disgusting
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2015, 04:38:38 am »
If they're going to try collecting data, why not write an app to feed them junk? If there's enough junk data mixed in, they might just give up on the whole idea.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2015, 04:41:13 am »
Best of luck with that!
I prefer NOT to trust Microsoft with my online banking, credit card numbers and passwords.  One would think most home users would be very concerned!!!

Most people would not know, unless they actually checked the bank statement and realised what those $99 direct debits were for. Or applied for credit and were refused, or had the sheriff at the door for some fraud committed under their name.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2015, 04:57:02 am »
Is there a way to get W10 to work with unsigned drivers (which doesn't require any dicking around on every reboot) - some initial searching seems to give mixed messages as to whether this is possible.
I have some old hardware that needs it, and it's still not uncommon to get things like eval/demo boards with unsigned drivers.

Can you get W10 to look and feel like W7/XP classic ?
Theoretically it's always possible to patch out the driver signing check like has been done on previous versions (http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo ), but I'm not sure if anyone has done it for Win10 yet.

Classic theme is not officially available but people have been clever enough to find workarounds:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=113024

The biggest concern I'd have with running Win10 is its forced upgrades, which can undo everything you've done to patch and configure things the way you want it.

As for me, I'm still on XP. 8)

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2015, 05:47:11 am »
About a week ago, I finally decided to upgrade, ...

...Today, without letting me know, it automatically upgraded to Win10 :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:.

Hmm, so you asked it to install Windows 10, and it installed Windows 10. My god, I can see what you mean, that is disgusting!!!  :palm:

You can have whatever expectations you want, but the moment that you start yanking power cords out of running PCs and changing your mind about an upgrade halfway through, you lose all rights to complain IMHO. Of course your machine is going to end up in a messed-up state. You may as well deliberately corrupt your hard drive and complain when Windows stops working  :palm:

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2015, 06:33:16 am »
For the record, I tried for a whole, a whole year, to run Linux in the form of Fedora. It wasn't like I tried, very hard, to make it work. It was impossible. It was not that I was noob expecting to be happy in 2 hours, no, a whole year. I will try again but I have only some many years left on this Earth and I won't waste it trying to make something work when it isn't possible even if the Linux elite think their shit don't stink and my brain does. What I learned was that Linux is a hobby all in itself and not a tool if you need it for a full desktop environment.

The windows way of thinking doesn't work for unixoidal OSs. Most of the frustration comes from the fact that most windows users learned where to click over the years. With the migration to linux their knowledge becomes nearly useless. Do you remember when
MS Office got ribbons? Same story.

This is exactly the kind of attitude toward someone like me that I was referring to. Please read again that I spent a year on it, not 1 day, not 1 week, not 1 month, but a year. I compiled my own kernel, compiled my own programs to try and make the dependency problems go away, I tried to find alternative programs to do what I wanted to do. I was told you can't do that, stop being a windows noob, stop using modern hardware and use something two years old, use 4 or 5 different distros and boot configurations to do the specific things needed. In other words, if you need to do something Linux can't do, you are an idiot. I have zero respect for the Linux elite and their illogical and snobbish religious zeal over something that doesn't work as a full desktop OS. At least that was the state at the time I tried it.

Your answer is just the typical answer to those who you think didn't try, just because you think Linux can do anything and everything. Too bad it can't unless what you want to accomplish with Linux is to learn how to compile and fix dependencies as the reason to use Linux instead of getting all the things done I have listed. I prefer to have one computer, one OS, one configuration to get things done. I can't waste time having three different setups, or more, just to do what I can do with one right now.

Do I respect MS? NO! Is there anything I have run into with windows that I want or need to do that requires me to do multiboot configurations like is needed for me to do with Linux? NO! Will I move to Win10 if Win7 can't continue for me as it is? NO! I will put up with the aholes and the "holier than thou" elitists who do nothing but berate anyone who tries to use Linux in the real world. I might even actually dump everything I have and own and go Mac  :scared:

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2015, 06:44:13 am »
Congratulations for doing exactly as Microsoft wanted.

better than mouthbreathing your displeasure and hatred towards microsoft at every single opportunity.  some of these gmx detractors are borderline delusional.

There is a general policy here on the forums to not insult people.

MS has stated that the spying will be used, and you cannot turn it off. I have had to force W10 updates off my computers 5 times, and MS finds another way to sneak it in with some obscure security update. It is behavior equal to a Trojan horse, or virus, or even more a rootkit. Even when I say no to MS that I don't want to "upgrade" and when I disable the updates to prevent their telemetry files and back doors, they try and shove them back with secret games. I think this proves beyond a doubt that MS is not acting in the best interests of their customers but rather to their best interests solely and are acting directly against my explicit desire to not have them interfere with my computer .

I now expect you to insult me as it seems that anyone who sees these behaviors as a problem as below your level of intellect and morality. It seems to be your pattern.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2015, 06:49:18 am »
The biggest concern I'd have with running Win10 is its forced upgrades, which can undo everything you've done to patch and configure things the way you want it.

WU is mandatory only on Home version licenses (home, home OEM). On Pro licenses (Pro, Pro OEM, Enterprise), this feature is selectable.
Also, you can disable this feature from registry even with home licenses.
For the worst case, you can edit hosts to confuse WU downloader.

So you say that MS is not doing anything and we should not be worried, but then discuss how to fix the worst of the problems? Do you know what logic is?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 08:15:50 am »
I am getting the feeling that somewhere down the track, the words "Windows 10" and "Class Action" are going to appear together in some headlines.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2015, 10:26:34 am »
I am getting the feeling that somewhere down the track, the words "Windows 10" and "Class Action" are going to appear together in some headlines.

I doubt it. Haven't seen one against say: Google, Facebook.

Data mining is here to stay, it doesn't mean they actually have factual information but trends are ok to store and track.

It's a brave new world!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2015, 11:37:41 am »
Your answer is just the typical answer to those who you think didn't try, just because you think Linux can do anything and everything. Too bad it can't unless what you want to accomplish with Linux is to learn how to compile and fix dependencies as the reason to use Linux instead of getting all the things done I have listed. I prefer to have one computer, one OS, one configuration to get things done. I can't waste time having three different setups, or more, just to do what I can do with one right now.

Sorry, but you got me completely wrong. I didn't say that!  I've said that linux as any other unix based OS requires re-learning of everything. If linux is the wrong tool for you then look for another one. But please don't assume that I'm what you call "linux elite".

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:09 am »
MS has stated that the spying will be used, and you cannot turn it off. I have had to force W10 updates off my computers 5 times, and MS finds another way to sneak it in with some obscure security update. It is behavior equal to a Trojan horse, or virus, or even more a rootkit. Even when I say no to MS that I don't want to "upgrade" and when I disable the updates to prevent their telemetry files and back doors, they try and shove them back with secret games. I think this proves beyond a doubt that MS is not acting in the best interests of their customers but rather to their best interests solely and are acting directly against my explicit desire to not have them interfere with my computer .

Please see my post about disabling the update tool and preventing a new install via automatic updates.

BTW, a German consumer protection organization is going to sue MS for the "enforced" Win10 upgrade   :-+

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »
For the record, I tried for a whole, a whole year, to run Linux in the form of Fedora. It wasn't like I tried, very hard, to make it work. It was impossible. It was not that I was noob expecting to be happy in 2 hours, no, a whole year. I will try again but I have only some many years left on this Earth and I won't waste it trying to make something work when it isn't possible even if the Linux elite think their shit don't stink and my brain does. What I learned was that Linux is a hobby all in itself and not a tool if you need it for a full desktop environment.

The windows way of thinking doesn't work for unixoidal OSs. Most of the frustration comes from the fact that most windows users learned where to click over the years. With the migration to linux their knowledge becomes nearly useless. Do you remember when
MS Office got ribbons? Same story.

This is exactly the kind of attitude toward someone like me that I was referring to. Please read again that I spent a year on it, not 1 day, not 1 week, not 1 month, but a year. I compiled my own kernel, compiled my own programs to try and make the dependency problems go away, I tried to find alternative programs to do what I wanted to do.
I agree there is a lot of dumb shit going on in the Linux world and especially with programmers who think you always need to upgrade to the latest version (which breaks other stuff). For example: I'm using Debian and when looking for an e-mail client I wanted to try Evolution. However the latest version uses libraries which aren't supported by the version of Debian I'm using. I decided to use Thunderbird instead. So yes, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and look for a way which works. I have a Windows XP VM running 100% of the time for stuff that isn't supported in Linux. When I write code for ARM microcontrollers the IDE and compiler run on Linux but the programming tool runs in Windows XP.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
You need to send a blood sample to Microsoft in order to use Windows 10.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 05:49:46 am »
More evidence on what Microsoft is up to with their back door spying:

http://bgr.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-windows-10-spying-2015-user-data/

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:38 am »

The simplest way to stop the forced updates it to tell windows 10 your network connection is metered.

relevant articles
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2970172/microsoft-windows/block-forced-windows-10-updates-using-a-metered-connection.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Yeah...my XPs run fine too
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 07:11:50 am »
I can't understand why anyone would want an OS you have to fight with to make it act in a non-invasive, privacy respecting manner. I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until Microsoft learns to keep their greedy noses out of my business. If they never do, then so be it.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 07:20:03 am »
rdl:

Please be aware that many updates for W7 and W8 are just to add the capabilities for the spying that W10 provides.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/26/block-all-windows-10-components-on-windows-7-and-8/
https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:00 am »
Hmm, what I did first when I installed Win 10 is I blocked all network addresses that Microsoft is using on my firewall - NOT Windows firewall and NOT in "hosts" file on your PC but your physical firewall. Please note that some Windows services use IP addresses hard-coded into parts of OS to bypass possible spoofing in which case bot IP and DNS name need to be blocked by blacklisting it on your firewall.

Example of short list:

65.52.108.0/14 #update.microsoft.com, licensing.md.mp.microsoft.com, v10.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com. Update has an alternate in another range.
104.40.0.0/13
204.79.196.0/23 #Start menu searches.
23.93.0.0/13
157.54.0.0/15
157.60.0.0/16
191.236.0.0/14
207.46.0.0/16
131.253.62.0/23
131.253.64.0/18
131.253.61.0/24 #login.live.com
131.253.128.0/17
191.232.0.0/14 #settings-win.data.microsoft.com

157.56.0.0/14 #sls.update.microsoft.com
191.232.0.0/14 #windowsupdate.microsoft.com

# [Block M$]
 # [Block M$]
127.0.0.1  dns.msftncsi.com
127.0.0.1  ipv6.msftncsi.com
127.0.0.1  win10.ipv6.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  ipv6.msftncsi.com.edgesuite.net
127.0.0.1  a978.i6g1.akamai.net
127.0.0.1  win10.ipv6.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  en-us.appex-rf.msn.com
127.0.0.1  v10.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  client.wns.windows.com
127.0.0.1  wildcard.appex-rf.msn.com.edgesuite.net
127.0.0.1  v10.vortex-win.data.metron.life.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  wns.notify.windows.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  americas2.notify.windows.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  travel.tile.appex.bing.com
127.0.0.1  any.edge.bing.com
127.0.0.1  fe3.delivery.mp.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  fe3.delivery.dsp.mp.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  ssw.live.com
127.0.0.1  ssw.live.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  login.live.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  directory.services.live.com
127.0.0.1  directory.services.live.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  bl3302.storage.live.com
127.0.0.1  skyapi.live.net
127.0.0.1  bl3302geo.storage.dkyprod.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  skyapi.skyprod.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  skydrive.wns.windows.com
127.0.0.1  register.mesh.com
127.0.0.1  BN1WNS2011508.wns.windows.com
127.0.0.1  settings-win.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  settings.data.glbdns2.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  OneSettings-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  vortex.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  choice.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  telemetry.appex.bing.net
127.0.0.1  telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
127.0.0.1  settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  survey.watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  watson.live.com
127.0.0.1  watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  compatexchange.cloudapp.net
127.0.0.1  cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
127.0.0.1  a-0001.a-msedge.net
127.0.0.1  statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1  diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  corp.sts.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  pre.footprintpredict.com
127.0.0.1  i1.services.social.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1  feedback.windows.com
127.0.0.1  feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
127.0.0.1  feedback.search.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1  preview.msn.com
127.0.0.1  ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1  ads.msn.com
127.0.0.1  ads1.msads.net
127.0.0.1  a.ads1.msn.com
127.0.0.1  a.ads2.msn.com
127.0.0.1  adnexus.net
127.0.0.1  adnxs.com
127.0.0.1  az361816.vo.msecnd.net
127.0.0.1  az512334.vo.msecnd.net
# [End Block M$]

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:25 am »
...many updates for W7 and W8 are just to add the capabilities for the spying that W10 provides.
Screw it, I'm going back to that other Windows version that no-one talks about...  :scared:

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 08:14:42 am »
Yes, I'm well aware that Microsoft has been attempting to back port their "telemetry" capabilities. I watch the updates like a hawk.

I plan to keep one Windows computer just for games and it may eventually have to use Windows 10, but if so it's ability to connect to the internet will be severely limited. Pretty much everything else I need can be done with Linux. I am not looking forward to converting 8 TB of data files on six drives from NTFS though.

I saw somewhere that through other companies Microsoft owns they have over a thousand websites they can connect through. I'm not sure it will be possible to be certain of blocking them all.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:26 am »
It is easy to identify all sites that Windows is trying to contact - just have Windows computer on your network and log every IP/DNS address it is trying to contact with Wireshark or dedicated machine/router. This way you cannot miss any sites it will try to contact. Of course you cannot guarantee that new sites will be introduced but in order to add new sites MS will have to push them through their update system. So essentially it is cat and mouse situation. Every update installed on your PC potentially adds another privacy breach.

Potential solution is to have one Windows 10 machine on your network without any applications or other software installed and then immediately block any IP address it is trying to communicate to for all other PCs  on your local network. I think you can do it with an IDS software like Snort.

It maybe possible to have several Windows 10 machines running at different locations and track their botnet access points in real time. If list is shared openly then everyone could use as automatic blacklist for their firewalls. Exactly same system is used to block entire mail servers that used to send SPAM. Very old, reliable solution that can easily be crowdsourced! We can fight back when we have will.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:54 am »
If they're going to try collecting data, why not write an app to feed them junk? If there's enough junk data mixed in, they might just give up on the whole idea.
I like the idea but would that be borderline illegal?
Some of those anti hacker laws are so general that I would be worried about writing any script that purposely sends unwanted data to a corporation.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »
Ok, I only use Windows for gaming so this isn't that big an issue foe me but am I getting the wrong impression from this thread that turning off all the data mining options doesn't actually stop Windows 10 sending the info to MS?
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »
...many updates for W7 and W8 are just to add the capabilities for the spying that W10 provides.
Screw it, I'm going back to that other Windows version that no-one talks about...  :scared:
XP? XP was the best Windows, which is not saying much. I have a Windows 7 in a VM which I use for when the app isn't supported anywhere else (OS X or Linux), will stick with it for as long as I can, and if I can't run Windows 7 anymore I guess that's it no more Windows for me.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »
Ok, I only use Windows for gaming so this isn't that big an issue foe me but am I getting the wrong impression from this thread that turning off all the data mining options doesn't actually stop Windows 10 sending the info to MS?

That is correct. Extensively documented on other forums.

Also downgrading to previous versions of Windows won't save you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf