Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1450135 times)

Offline graynomad

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2012, 12:51:01 am »
When an unexpected event causes power loss i recuperate the energy stored in the spinning disks ( by using the brushelss three phase motor as generator ) to safely complete a write operation
That's clever.

Nice photos, I also moonlight as a photographer (www.robgray.com) but strictly above water. I have a mate who dives a lot, he's currently up in the Phillipines and has similar criteria to you re water temp and visibility.

______
Rob

Graynomad, AKA Rob Gray www.robgray.com

Offline neotesla

• Supporter
« Reply #576 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:37 am »
Hi, I'm Dan. I live in the country Australia (NSW). I'm a bit of a jack of all trades (and master of none, of course). Working as an IT Tech at the moment, part time. I thought of organising my home "workshop" a little bit, and then I saw Dave's video on YouTube. That's what got me here. That's it for now, cheers all.

Offline graynomad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #577 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27:34 am »
Where in NSW?

______
Rob
Graynomad, AKA Rob Gray www.robgray.com

Antronics93

« Reply #578 on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »
Hello!

My name is Anton, and I live in Sweden (You know; IKEA, ABBA, etc.).

At 18 years you could easily say that I am one of the least experienced within electronics on this forum, at least so would I guess. But I find electronics really interesting, at least I find it interesting enough to choose it as orientation for 5 years in College/University, which I’ll commence this autumn after I’ve finished Sweden’s equivalence to High-School. (Or at least I’ve applied to a school, though my grades tell me I should get a place, the school I’m talking about is Chalmers, in Göteborg (Gothenborg), if there is any other Swedes here :D )

And to say that videos like Dave's hasn't been a part of my growing interest in electronics I think I would be lying...  ;)

So, even though my current experience is limited I am a fast learner and I find electronics interesting, so I think I’ll enjoy the EEV-Blog even more now that I’ve got access to the forum as well, in any case I’ll be able to help any of you with translation if you should end up with furniture from IKEA with an instruction in Swedish ;)

Offline BewilderedIdea

« Reply #579 on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:51 am »
G'day... hehehe :) am new to the blog...and to electronics in general... got interested via the **clears throat** arduino  muhahahah ...I am a disability pensioner with to much time on my hands so am attempting to fill ma heid with sommat useful hehe :D

Cannot say I have any great aptitude for EE but am definitely enthusiastic!
I very much enjoy Dave's blog ....and his rants  hehehe...sometimes life doesn't NEED to be candy coated :D hehehe...

I was watching the 3D printing of the space invaders a few days ago and a thought occurred to me...if one were to combine a 3D plastics extruder with a pickNplace setup....could one possibly build brick-like IC's by incorporating smd components  and connections into a 3D printed IC-brick?

Another thought was wh@ if one were to incorporate a method of cutting and placing current conducting  thread [like th@  availably from adafruit] into, perhaps, a 3D printed board, one might reliably produce small run pcb's with it? placement of smd components combined with current conducting thread might produce a reasonable end product...assuming the right plastic was used { IF there IS a good alternative available...I do not know if currently used plastics would be suitable for a 3Dprinted pcb  ::) } then a 3D structural printed circuit unit [sculpture?...appliance?...wh@ever?] might be entirely possible...hmmm
hehehe
As you may be able to tell, I am FULL of idea's...many of em...and many beyond my skills to realize :P ...so I share em :D hehehe
Anyway...th@'s my intro... hehehe
BwI

Offline MagFlux

• Contributor
  • Always consider the context
« Reply #580 on: April 07, 2012, 02:41:36 am »
Greetings from Canada,
My name is Jerry, I've had a life long passion for all things technical in the world around us.
There has always been a particular focus on electronics, as it is the world of the unseen.(Unlike mechanics, WYSIWYG) I've had a lot of experience in almost all the aspects of electronics, from bench work in a couple of engineering firms to management in fabrication shops.
The last ten years I dropped out to try other fields(HVAC, Machine shops, etc.) because I simply wanted electronics back as a hobby.
As life can seem to conspire against you at times, no free time was available for my hobby. Until now, just dug out my stored equipment and built a Lab grade PSU.
 What a Rush! Forgot how good it felt to be at the bench!
Only two regrets, not starting sooner, and not finding Dave's 12 Part Lab PSU blog until after I completed mine. Damn, his turned out better than mine. One thing I would do next time is use a 25VDC / 2A Wall Wart instead of building in the mains, xformer and bridge.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #581 on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:52 am »
Another thought was wh@ if one were to incorporate a method of cutting and placing current conducting  thread [like th@  availably from adafruit] into, perhaps, a 3D printed board, one might reliably produce small run pcb's with it? placement of smd components combined with current conducting thread might produce a reasonable end product...assuming the right plastic was used { IF there IS a good alternative available...I do not know if currently used plastics would be suitable for a 3Dprinted pcb  ::) } then a 3D structural printed circuit unit [sculpture?...appliance?...wh@ever?] might be entirely possible...hmmm

you may get a small laugh but that is touching on the older methods of using multilater boards with varying lengths and thicknesses of wire connecting them like a maze, it was generally abandoned because they where a right ol PITA to repair expecially on the inner layers, still as far as tamperproofing protection goes, would be novel not only encasing but also making the entire structure only self supporting by its medium, still absolutly impossible to repair.

Offline warner

• Contributor
    • UADV
« Reply #582 on: April 07, 2012, 10:37:19 pm »
Hi im Jules from enlgand pleased to meet everyone , ive been interested in electronics for some time now although never had the money space or confidence to persue .....till now i have a number of project i want to make and a number of circuits and bits i would like to repair and woul dreally apprecaite  anyone who can give me some advise please for starters i need to know the absolute basic of what i need just to get started i have watched the youtube video but my funds dont stregth that far i have around £200-£300 at the very most. i already own a large assortment of screwdrivers cutters pliers etc as im an unqualified computer technician i do have more than 1 soldering irons but just the cheap plug in ones dont have variable temp on any of them and whats the best types and siizes to get etc
Jules

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #583 on: April 12, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »
Hi,

my name's Rafal, 25 years old, from Poland.

I've recently graduated MSc in electronic engineering and I'm currently working as electronic components engineer for a large automotive company. I've been doing various kinds of electronics-related stuff for about 10 years. My field of interest is mainly microcontrollers, mixed signal design and various measurement techniques. Currently I'm developing 3 projects: a miniature power-led driver (18mm in diameter, 7mm thick), a dsPIC-based 30 kW pizza owen controller and a cnc mill (both mechanical and electronic design).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline warner

• Contributor
    • UADV
« Reply #584 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »
hi everyone well by the looks of it everyone here is either in college uni etc or working within the electronics electrical field  i did go to college bk in 2000 for electrical installation but moved before i could get the quals for it only did around a yr there so it looks like im the least qualified or experienced here although that doesnt really fuse my i used to work as a computer technician only for about 2 months as i was agency  although i still have a huge interest in how things work , but the main reason want to learn electronics is so i can do my own repairs and customise things for how i want them also i hae a few projects that i am working on things that havent been made yet or come out althought i cant talk about my projects much or say what they are due to its being wrapped up in legal stuff need to wait for my patents to come back and so fought but i have been watching alot of youtube vids reaqding up in forums google serchs etc etc plus going through my own things things see wht components i can use and what i can strip down for various other ues although im more than happy to listen to any advise people may have for me and more than happy to talk anything anythign electrical /electronics related
Jules

Offline boostedsupra

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:44 pm »
Hello forum, i have been a custom yacht electrician for 5 years now, but due the economy i was layed off, now i am a full time student going for my bachleors degree in electrical engineering with the hopes of getting into the Aeronautics field doing Avionics and instrumentation. also i build wiring harness, instruments/gauges and full race car build. look foward to learning some new things off this forum.

Offline rig1974

« Reply #586 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:55 am »
Hi to everyone!

I'm from Romania and i'm an electric engeneering student and a new member of this community. 

Otherway i hope to have some good time in this community. ;)

Offline kj6tk

« Reply #587 on: April 18, 2012, 04:16:57 am »
Hi all

Once a electronic design engineer been working in management and computers for the last few years getting back to electronic tinkering for the fun of it, the theory stays the same but the components get smaller :)

John aka kj6tk

Offline NukerDoggie

• Contributor
« Reply #588 on: April 18, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a new member from USA. I'm a longtime C/C++ developer currently working for one of the Big Three telecoms as an enterprise system tester. In my spare time I'm developing a medical device aimed at helping persons with neurological disorders (like MS and PLS) recover some of their quality of life. That's been a 15-year project so far. I'm still in the clinical trials phase, but have accumulated significant evidence of effectiveness of the method and device.

I like to think outside the box, but never beyond the confines of true science, and never along lines that do not appeal to good logic and common sense. I've personally fought the FDA for 15 years to get them to open their minds to certain alternative medical technologies, and while my device is not yet approved, a growing number of others that employ similar technology (photo-biostimulation) are fully approved. This change in the mindset at the FDA has occurred only in the last 5 years or so. I'd like to think that my voice helped a little, but I have no proof of that.

My situation (getting FDA approval) is made much more difficult because my claims are much harder to prove than most of those made by the other photo-biostimulation device manufacturers. I'm claiming my device can resolve sclerosis (scarring) of the upper and lower motor neurons, in the regions in the cervical spine where the two interact. They are understandably very skeptical. But I'm just as determined to prove my claims.

I LOVE duking it out with the FDA!

Offline elliot42

• Contributor
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2012, 01:40:20 am »
Hi all!

I'm from Sydney, Australia. I'm a recent graduate from UTS (2010) with a degree in IT and I'm now working as a software engineer.
I've been interested in electronics, programming, making things and taking stuff apart and seeing how they work since I was little. I started with Dick Smith's Funway Into Electronics 1 with my dad when I was about 10 and from then I have been tinkering with simple circuits, computers, various kits and projects including amplifiers and DACs. I also have a weakness for shiny gadgets, made worse now that I have a full-time job and the income that comes with it :p

I've been lurking here, looking at oscilloscopes and watching Dave's videos. I might post now and then now too.

Owen.

Offline Mischa

• Contributor
« Reply #590 on: April 21, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »
Hi everyone, i'm from Slovenia, Ljubljana, i've been working as a sound technician/electrician for some time. At the moment i have another job (work at the office) because contracts in my country are often not payed. My hobby is diy pro audio electronics, mostly tube preamps, mics and similar. I would like to start working on it more serious and hope to sell some of my gear, beside working at the office. I came here to get advices about test instruments i need to expand my hobby, and talk about electronics. Dave's excellent youtube videos got me interested in this forum.
I'm looking forward to have a great time with you guys!

Cheers, Miha

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: April 21, 2012, 04:54:04 pm »
Hi all, I live in Belgium.

Master degree Electromechanics, bachelor Electronics.

I mainly work on industrial machines,
thanks to this blog I took up my old hobby, electronics.

Already costed me a lot of money, new scope, functgen, ... :-)
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

jucole

« Reply #592 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:11 pm »
Hi, I'm Jules from UK, i'm an artist and programmer by trade but I've always had a soft spot for electronics but never took it up, then recently I bought a pottery kiln from Ebay and decided to make my own digital controller for it, how hard can it be? some 2 years later and a spare room full of 2nd hand test gear crap, my little widget is almost ready to release to the world!! 

I really enjoy watching the EEVBlogs and especially like the whiteboard pen tapping parts. beaut !!! ;-)

Offline tim510

• Contributor
« Reply #593 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:39 am »
Hi my name is Tim,

Transfer student at UCI studying EE. I'm a jr. looking to get hands on experience with electronics because I find it interesting and I feel inadequate in my knowledge. Until college I had never experimented with circuits. Prior to transferring I was interested in utility power but there isn't much of that offered at my school under the EE program. Now I'm finding myself really interested in analog circuits and power electronics.

Offline brian

« Reply #594 on: April 26, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »
Hello everyone,

I’m from Omaha, Nebraska (USA).  I work as a Software Engineer, writing commercial software for Windows based PC’s in C++ and Java.  I’m also a Graduate student at Regis University, in Denver CO.

I got interested in electronics repair in High School and have enjoying it as a hobby ever since then. 

Brian

Offline PerPC

• Contributor
  • "ASPIRING DOUCHE -- OOPS, I MEANT TECH"
« Reply #595 on: April 28, 2012, 01:45:47 am »
Well everyone calls me mike. Here with the intent on gaining some useful knowledge and who knows, maybe cutting a profit in the process ;) ;). Oh yeah, and warner (guy who posted like 4 or 5 post before me) 300 pounds should do u good. i pretty much have the basics of what i need (200 dollas) and a 100 dollars to spare (still needs materials and a few tools): add that up and thats a total of 300 american dollars. heck and last time i checked the british pound out did the dollar ;) :) GL

P.S: im missing the big items like the scope and glue gun and second soldering iron and well the big stuff but a multimeter should do me good for the time being im guessing.

Offline sysmatt

• my "Personal Text"
    • My crappy outdated blog that i never update.
« Reply #596 on: April 29, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »
Hi All!   Matt from New Jersey USA here.    I have been an electronics hobbist for ever.  My dad put a soldering iron in my hand as soon as i was able to hold the right end.  I attended a technical high school and had four years of electronics.  During that time, by passion forked into computers/microprocessors and electronics.   By year two in HS i was working with MOT 6800 and Z80/8080 CPU projects.   Fast forward 10 years, my passion for computers led me to Open Source, Linux, Unix, yadda yadda..  and a career in IT.   My day to day career is Unix sysadmin/vSphere/Datacenter management/networking/etc.  Its worked out pretty well.   My firm foundation of electronics has served me very well. 

I skipped college BTW, which is rather interesting considering where i work.   

... When i am not working, I am hacking.   Electronics usually.  I really like AVR MCUs, but not as a religion.   My preference is mainly based on the ease of use with the open source AVR-GCC tool chain.    To me, VIM, Gcc, Makefiles etc is much preferred compared to a GUI IDE... That said, I so occasionally use the Arduino stack, some of the libraries are just so easy to use.   But for that ease, you pay with frustration/insanity.      What i do LOVE about arduino is how it has revived a lot of interest in electronics/hacking.  It gets a lot of students interested in electronics and/or programming.   But i digress.

Ive written a number of articles on IT related subjects in Linux Journal, ;login, and SysAdmin (gone!)... But nothing recently.  No time!

Well that is probably a good intro. 

A quick Thank You to Dave. The EEVblog is a gem.  Seriously, every one is packed full of interesting info and always entertaining. 

Its an amazing time we live in.  I remember when i was in high school...  The library of data books.   Trying to FIND something!... The photo copier was your friend.   Now, google.   bang, anything you want.   Building MCU projects... all those 8 and 16 bit buses!   wire wrap nightmare!

Anyway, i can ramble on forever.   

Thanks
-Matt
"Trite catch phrase!"

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #597 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:25 am »
Hi Folks
      I'm  Len aka  iiiiiiiiii,  four eyes wasn't enough!. Canadian, in BC.       Started early,putting things in  wall sockets at 3,  Mom said.  Built my VOM-meter at 12.  TV tube Jockey after school. Then on to college , and Tech School.
Summer jobs:  Video production;   Defence research grant;   Marine communications.
Wandered through careers in:  Satellite earth stations, Police info systems, Industrial Communications, more University, Banking machines, E Engineering, and Process Control Systems. 
Some cute Events:
             Set 100volt charge on the capacitors in the highschool Physic Lab, for the Teacher to pick up
             Put white tape on my New black glasses so no one would notice I got new glasses
             Packed 100lbs of test equipment across frozen Arctic sea to tuneup satellite earth station
             Turned on the 1st TV transmitter in an Arctic town of 500 where 60%  had never seen a TV
             Fixed a bug that gave free money from credit union bank machines (fix for all but one card :) )
             Programmed system to process and sort BHP diamonds from the Canadian Arctic.
Favourite Technology... Hyperlinks

Now just do part-time projects and play.

Nice to be here and love the Vblogs, I learn so much,   good  fun ,, Thanks
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
Hi,

I recently discovered the EEVBlog (through YouTube) while searching for some electronics content on the net. I studied electronics but after 3 years working at a small company I switched to software (easier to get results I guess  :P ). I am working these days as a (software) Solutions Architect / Lead Developer using Microsoft technology (.NET/C#). I am also playing guitar and fiddling around with the equipment of my home studio.

Recently I bought an Arduino and that has got things rolling again. I am currently working on a Midi mapper/processor and have some other projects in my head/on paper.

Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline pcbprototype

• Low cost PCB prototype Manufacturer
    • Low Cost PCB Prototype and PCB manufacture
« Reply #599 on: May 03, 2012, 10:24:01 pm »
I am working for http://www.sinomicro.co.uk, which is a quick turn printed circuit board (PCB) manufacturer in UK.
http://www.sinomicro.co.uk Low Cost PCB Prototype and manufacture

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf